Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Bad Seafood posted:

Something I really like about the juxtaposition of these two panels but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Contrast of size and mood, I'd say. You go from a small, calm, complete view to a large, up close, and determined view. It does work well.

Also, I'm betting the rules for the mind control quirk are something to do with giving away one's feelings by answering the questions, allowing him to align his thoughts with the target (by knowing their thoughts through the answer). So basically, the key to victory is lying one's rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It seems like he just baited him into the range of his ability; pissing him off so he wasn't focused was just gravy.

Oh well, here's hoping something badass happens. Maybe mind control guy will accidentally cause Midoriya to go SSJ or w/e the gently caress since "mental images" and focus seem to be the key behind controlling One For All. It'd be nice to see him really kick rear end at least once during this thing.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

good version:

http://bato.to/read/_/307526/boku-no-hero-academia_ch32_by_fallen-angels

e: yikes, should have looked at that fanart before calling it good

It can't be said enough, but this is a really great translation. I love the little addendums where they come up with localizations for all the incredibly groanworthy puns in character names.

Also, the last line setting up for the next issue got me: "Starting next issue, two consecutive center color pages... to highlight his loss?!" :haw:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fabricated posted:

It seems like he just baited him into the range of his ability; pissing him off so he wasn't focused was just gravy.

Oh well, here's hoping something badass happens. Maybe mind control guy will accidentally cause Midoriya to go SSJ or w/e the gently caress since "mental images" and focus seem to be the key behind controlling One For All. It'd be nice to see him really kick rear end at least once during this thing.

It seems weird that Ojiro would specifically say to not respond to his questions if it was just a matter of range, that seems too specific.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New Issue - http://www.mangareader.net/boku-no-hero-academia/33

he won...via bullshit Deus Ex Machina, how boring

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eh. All For One couldn't just be super strength. If it was, no way would All Might be the #1 Hero. Still, could have done with more foreshadowing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Shinsou was destined to lose because his power depends on the one thing a shonen cannot not do. :v:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Terper posted:

[spoiler Still, could have done with more foreshadowing.[/spoiler]

This IS the foreshadowing, this match didn't matter, but you can sure as hell bet this aspect of his power will come up later when it actually is relevant.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Question: is it All For One or One For All? I keep seeing people use one or the other.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Question: is it All For One or One For All? I keep seeing people use one or the other.

It's One For All. I use All For One sometimes but that's because I'm a big dumb-dumb.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Performing that throw with a couple broken fingers must have hurt like hell.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think the author's intent was to make this revelation both a surprise to Deku and the audience at the same time. Unfortunately, he did a really bad job foreshadowing the issue. All he had to do was somehow add a little bit to the story at some time in the past. This is unfortunate because the author has done a really good job with the story so far, and now it appears to be a deus ex machina. At least the name, One for All does do some foreshadowing, but who didn't think it meant that he was One Hero for All People instead of One Hero for All Past Heroes embodied in said hero? I suppose the whole way Deku got the power fits as well, though. So, what happened isn't entirely and completely unreasonable.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, that fight was more about indicating that One For All really is a weird quirk. I think however it also plays into a point that was raised earlier in the series - that you can get a quirk redefined if it turns out the actual function of the power was different than previously assumed. In this case, One For All isn't just the strength of all those past users, but probably along the lines of their general essences and such. Think like how the line of Avatars works in the Last Airbender.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
What's interesting is that One for All apparently had 8 previous owners, if you assume each set of eyes indicates a previous owner. Upon rereading chapter 2 I noticed that has been alluded to before. I wonder if All Might is otherwise quirkless himself. He was looking for someone in the department of heroics to take over his power, so it doesn't seem you have to be quirkless to accept it. Would be funny if he retains some useless quirk after he loses One for All.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 8, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Piriwi posted:

What's interesting is that One for All apparently had 8 previous owners, if you assume each set of eyes indicates a previous owner. Upon rereading chapter 2 I noticed that has been alluded to before. I wonder if All Might is otherwise quirkless himself. He was looking for someone in the department of heroics to take over his power, so it doesn't seem you have to be quirkless to accept it. Would be funny if he retains some useless quirk after he loses One for All.

Actually an interesting point. I'd say its probably just artistic, since the next page seems to have a few more heads, but its not as if the author tried to depict hundreds or thousands there. Plus, one clear being marked separate by having one eye could mean he has some vague notion of what each previous user was like (unless of course, it is just artistic.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Clever Deku is fun, but I'm really interested to see how One For All works. So this really didn't bother me. I like that there's more to it than just super strength.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I appreciate that Midoriya is sharp enough to piece together the nature of what happened based on the whole "this is other peoples' power collected over time" concept of One For All, as opposed to just being flabbergasted about what happened for 50 chapters until he's fighting a villain or something and it happens again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, that's a useful workaround to keep All Might around once he gets killed off.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If One For All is literally the accumulated power of all previous hosts it could be that at least a portion of their quirk is passed along as well. At the very least One For All currently includes super strength, transformation, and some degree of super endurance. Unless transformation is simply All Might's own quirk.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Why do people think All Might's muscular form is a transformation? I've always read it as his normal body that One For All allows him to return to even after having a third of it scooped out.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Gyges posted:

If One For All is literally the accumulated power of all previous hosts it could be that at least a portion of their quirk is passed along as well. At the very least One For All currently includes super strength, transformation, and some degree of super endurance. Unless transformation is simply All Might's own quirk.

Those could be interpreted as having the combined aspects of the other people (sheer muscle mass, their stamina, etc), but your idea would allow for Midoriya's powers to potentially diversify in future if say, there's one or two things that All Might just didn't use for being too situational compared to being Golden Age Superman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Genocyber posted:

Why do people think All Might's muscular form is a transformation? I've always read it as his normal body that One For All allows him to return to even after having a third of it scooped out.

That's the very definition of a transformation.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Cool chapter IMO, yeah literal deus ex machina but it's not dumb.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 9, 2015

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
One For All's powers are all expressions of his tactile telekinesis.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Fabricated posted:

Cool chapter IMO, yeah literal deus ex machina but at it's not dumb.
I really don't feel as if it's a literal deus ex machina because of the slight foreshadowing that people have raised on this very page, but yeah it's pretty close.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Mimir posted:

One For All's powers are all expressions of his tactile telekinesis.

I had to look that up because all I could think of that didn't make that sound like an oxymoron was the weird invisible hands from Elfen Lied.

Now I get it. But I still think it's a silly way to name the superpower. :colbert:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I had to look that up because all I could think of that didn't make that sound like an oxymoron was the weird invisible hands from Elfen Lied.

Now I get it. But I still think it's a silly way to name the superpower. :colbert:

It was the 90s, so comics were trying to be smart because the old stuff was silly - thankfully, didn't last, and it got retconned as separate of his proper kryptonian powers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Not sure how I feel about the reveal, but I'll withhold judgment for later since this is clearly only the tip of the iceberg.

I feel like the bigger issue here is Deku giving in to such a taunt in the first place after specifically being warned by Ojiro not to. I know "Don't insult my friends/people's principles" is part and parcel of this kind of set up, but Deku's demonstrated enough situational awareness that it feels odd for him to walk into that trap.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
eh, he's a kid

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Which I'd be cool with under slightly different circumstances.

EDIT: vvv Fair enough.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 9, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It's just an extension of the kind of thing we've seen already. He's definitely a smart kid but even in the first chapter we see his impulsiveness at work when he tries to rescue Bakugou. He can't stop himself sometimes in the heat of the moment, even if he knows better.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So, basically, his quirk is to be the Kwisatz Haderach? That's pretty awesome! But yes, that chapter happened pretty much as one might expect it to. Thinking about it, by the rules of shonen, for the hero to survive to the final round and be the hero, he can't possibly be knocked out in the first round. Given that his opponent has an unbeatable mind controlling power, therefore, the only way for the hero to advance would be for him to break through by the magic power of "sheer willpower".

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
All Shinsou needs to become truly unbeatable, is for Present Mic to become his personal mentor and teach him how to come up with sick nasty burns that no one can resist responding to.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

All Shinsou needs to become truly unbeatable, is for Present Mic to become his personal mentor and teach him how to come up with sick nasty burns that no one can resist responding to.

But the sick nastiest burns are the ones to which there is no response, because the target simply knows they have been Owned.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chumbler posted:

But the sick nastiest burns are the ones to which there is no response, because the target simply knows they have been Owned.

And see, if that happens, it's a victory too. It's a flawless plan.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I liked that the teacher talked about the deficiencies of the entrance examination, in that powers that would be very good in heroics are often disadvantaged by the way it's structured. It makes class B's resentment much more understandable and gives Midoriya's sympathies in this chapter more punch.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Neeksy posted:

I liked that the teacher talked about the deficiencies of the entrance examination, in that powers that would be very good in heroics are often disadvantaged by the way it's structured. It makes class B's resentment much more understandable and gives Midoriya's sympathies in this chapter more punch.

Class B isn't non-heroic, they're Class B of the heroic Education Course.

The other classes, C through... J I believe? Are part of the other non heroics courses, be it Support (jetpack girl, make stuff for heroes to use like costumes and weapons), management (they apparently do superhero PR and stuff), or General Ed (Mind Control guy, seems to mostly be made up of people who failed the heroic exam, and didn't want to be in Support or Management)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure B is general studies.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure B is general studies.

You're pretty wrong then? I mean I don't feel like digging up the images that say you are, but you can go to the beginning of the tournament. They introduce Class A, then class B, then general studies.

Edit: nevermind, it took ten seconds

A and B are Department of Heroics, C, D, and E are General, F, G, H Support, and Management is probably the next three?

Edit2: it's even stated in the first chapter where they're in school that there's two classes of the Heroics department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Huh, totally forgot.