Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

This just cemented that I turn the show off after they show the bar to the staff. I knew it was staged to an extent, but not nearly that far.

Taffer is also an enormous rear end in a top hat that cannot stand being talked to or complimented on by the unwashed masses of people he designed a bar for.

Why am I still watching this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
It's so weird to me that they would go that far and do all that rigamarole to stage the relaunch, when that turns into MAYBE 3-5 minutes of footage in the end.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

limp_cheese posted:

This just cemented that I turn the show off after they show the bar to the staff. I knew it was staged to an extent, but not nearly that far.

Taffer is also an enormous rear end in a top hat that cannot stand being talked to or complimented on by the unwashed masses of people he designed a bar for.

KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE. DO NOT TALK TO ME OR LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE CAMERAS.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

limp_cheese posted:

I don't think it's unwashed masses so much as ten minutes of Taffer being swamped by the public and signing autographs would make for some pretty boring tv.

Those directives are standard "you are going to be on tv" fare, if everyone in the bar was looking at the cameras, taking pictures and high fiving Taffer...

And yes, it takes three hours of staging to set up five minutes of tv with a hundred plus extras.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nothing takes me out of reality programming faster than reality somehow creeping in.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Don't know if a new thread is in order, but just found out that the return of the show this Sunday will feature the first re-rescue, as Taffer tries to bring Second Base back from the brink of bankruptcy. Wonder if they'll mention the incident where someone was killed in the parking lot.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

OmegaBR posted:

Don't know if a new thread is in order, but just found out that the return of the show this Sunday will feature the first re-rescue, as Taffer tries to bring Second Base back from the brink of bankruptcy. Wonder if they'll mention the incident where someone was killed in the parking lot.

Just watched the episode and no mention.

The owner might be the most unbelivable shithead I've ever seen in a business repair show like this. He's so obviously just trying to get a free remodeling it's insane. He also acts like a horrible prick to the woman who is literally cleaning his bar for free. The best part is when Taffer spends like 3 minutes straight doing nothing but lay burn after burn on the guy and then forcing him to reveal what a scam artist he is.

"My other bar is doing amazing, we're rolling in dough :smug:"

"Okay, so invest 30 grand back into this bar and I'll give you a 100 grand remodel"

"Oh no no no, my other bar is barely scraping by! I have barely enough to live on!"

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Woo, second-ever walkout! O'Face was way better, though. This one's an eager staff but a dipshit owner. Headhunters without the filth. (Well, most of it.)

e: Actually somewhat surprised they didn't mention the incident.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 9, 2015

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Can't believe Terry turned out to be such a jackass. Second Base was one of those rescues that really seemed to go perfectly (which is probably why Jon agreed to come back,) but the girls themselves said it: "Is he doing it on purpose or is he just really stupid?" "He's just that stupid."

A hundred thousand dollars on the line, and he couldn't even invest a third of that. I don't know how somebody screws up that badly, unless he did exactly what Taffer said and took the money for himself.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, did this owner just hire strippers or something so he can flirt with/gently caress them? That guy seemed hilariously delusional about how to run a bar and just didn't give a gently caress.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dimples, the sad, sad Karaoke bar just on the outskirts of Universal Studios, is scheduled to close before summer.

Kind of sad, but it was pretty apparent the owner wasn't going to change.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

OmegaBR posted:

Can't believe Terry turned out to be such a jackass. Second Base was one of those rescues that really seemed to go perfectly (which is probably why Jon agreed to come back,) but the girls themselves said it: "Is he doing it on purpose or is he just really stupid?" "He's just that stupid."

A hundred thousand dollars on the line, and he couldn't even invest a third of that. I don't know how somebody screws up that badly, unless he did exactly what Taffer said and took the money for himself.

I don't know how people don't know what a password hint is or how to turn on a computer but they exist and they are dumb as gently caress. There are really really really really stupid people who are alive and probably shouldn't be.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

Dimples, the sad, sad Karaoke bar just on the outskirts of Universal Studios, is scheduled to close before summer.

Kind of sad, but it was pretty apparent the owner wasn't going to change.

Good. I've been there and gently caress that place. The owner's creepy as hell, the whole place is dirty, and drinks are cruise-ship level in both price and watered-down-ness. And it's always packed to the gills with insufferable musical theater actors hoping to get discovered by Disney.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I can't shake the feeling that Jon did this just as a drama grab. I wouldn't think he would ever agree to a re-rescue under any other circumstances.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

CVagts posted:

I can't shake the feeling that Jon did this just as a drama grab. I wouldn't think he would ever agree to a re-rescue under any other circumstances.

I assumed they wanted another walk-out example.

I didn't remember what bar it was until the beginning explanation. Afterwards why they did it made a lot more sense. It is Spike TV so I assume any chance they can show beautiful women with large tits and great asses in tiny bikinis is going to happen.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
She has a nice smile.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lame episode, really did feel like a drama grab. It's pretty obvious that the guy is just sinking all of his profits into his other bar and waiting for a remodel, as Taffer pointed out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So I'm watching this repeat and did John's 'Expert" Bartender really just include loving pizza sauce in a cocktail?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Felt like this was going to be a repeat of Piratz, though I guess she has her son to help keep her in check.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show really reinforces the reality that 90% of restaurants/bars fail within 5 years because people get into the industry and fail as a result of getting personally attached to their idea of what they want the business to be instead of trying to make money.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

OmegaBR posted:

Felt like this was going to be a repeat of Piratz, though I guess she has her son to help keep her in check.

As soon as they broke out the gimmick ice I had Piratz flashbacks. And yep, sure enough.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

the hell are they supposed to use that giant block of ice for?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

CVagts posted:

As soon as they broke out the gimmick ice I had Piratz flashbacks. And yep, sure enough.

Soon as he said "young professionals" I knew.

Also, I thought I had heard the Blue Frog people had unkind words for the show, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I know they renamed the bar from "The Local" to "Blue Frog's Local 22" though.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I hate this woman so much. She is the worst non scumbag owner they've had on. She has a fantastic looking bar. And she turned it into garbage. Do we know where on the spectrum she is? Because she is in no way normally functioning person. I'm really looking forward to her bar going out of business and turning into something good. A pawn shop would be better for this neighborhood then her daycare center looking abomination.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

These reviews posted on Bar Rescue Updates sound fake as gently caress.

quote:

"Great intimate place to hear awesome live music. Staff is very friendly and Lonnie gets the whole audience involved. I highly recommend it."
"House band, Lonie walker and her bad rear end company band, was one of the most amazing bands I'd seen. Got the crowd participating. Drinks were a bit more expensive than what i'm used to, but i'm not used to downtown Chicago prices. All the bar staff were pretty freindly. If I lived in Chicago I would be in this bar every Friday."
"Had live music which was excellent but I can't remember the name of the band. Bartender was cool and always had a pint of Guinness ready for me. Thanks!"
"Nice chill place. Loved the music and the crayons they give you for coloring! But had to leave cuz the music was wayyyy too loud"

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

The American Dream posted:

Do we know where on the spectrum she is?

Auphishstic

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jon Taffer had his own "Bar Science" category today on Jeopardy. They only did like 2 clues before time ran out I wonder if they get their bribe money back

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

zVxTeflon posted:

Jon Taffer had his own "Bar Science" category today on Jeopardy. They only did like 2 clues before time ran out I wonder if they get their bribe money back

Were they video questions?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah. Was pertty disappointed they didn't get to all of them I really wanted to hear trebek say the word butt funnel

1JoshI
Nov 2, 2011
After last week's flaky old stubborn hippie owner, we are back this week to the tried and true bar of filth, with lazy feuding owners/waitresses with attitude/worthless redneck cook/disgusting mold-filled bar.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Holy moly how did the owner not just instantly fire the poo poo out of that awful bartender chick who didn't know her cocktails and gave away two thousand dollars worth of liquor when she stopped giving a gently caress

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
LOL, nice Piratz callback.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hazo posted:

Holy moly how did the owner not just instantly fire the poo poo out of that awful bartender chick who didn't know her cocktails and gave away two thousand dollars worth of liquor when she stopped giving a gently caress

Same reason none of the owners don't instantly fire the bartenders who give away thousands of dollars a week in liquor I imagine: they're total morons.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Hazo posted:

Then they would have to train a new bartender, which they don't know how to do since she was giving away that much booze.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

I think when they do the value of how much they give away it's how much the bar could get for it and not how much it's actually worth. Kinda like when they show how much a celebrity vacation is and include everything under the sun to get it up to that price.

Like a $20 bottle of absolute could be $6 a shot so a 18 oz bottle is $108. Really she gave away $20 but technically she gave away $108

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Hazo posted:

She really only "gave away" $50 worth of booze (the cost of 2 bottles), and IMO it was actually a good "gently caress you" response to Taffer's typical contrived tactic of instantly filling a small bar to try and overwhelm the staff.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I guess I'm more bewildered why they would keep around someone who's clearly so incompetent and disrespectful when it's really not that hard to find a bartender who knows their basic technical drinks and can make them in a reasonable amount of time. But as has been said, the owners probably are more concerned with keeping their friends/pretty girls hired instead of maintaining a business:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Same reason none of the owners don't instantly fire the bartenders who give away thousands of dollars a week in liquor I imagine: they're total morons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sometimes, you just get the feeling that Taffer wants to waterboard some of these bar owners.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm getting sick of the whole "owner is an rear end in a top hat jerk right after the stress test but has done a complete mental and emotional 180 the next morning" trope this show is taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

CVagts posted:

I'm getting sick of the whole "owner is an rear end in a top hat jerk right after the stress test but has done a complete mental and emotional 180 the next morning" trope this show is taking.

Welcome to being a Kitchen Nightmares fan. :smith:

• Locked thread