Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Squizzle posted:

If you've seen Guardians of the Galaxy, you probably remember Yondu, the blue guy who could control his space-dart by whistling at it. The original Beyonder was just a clone of that guy—the "Beta-Yondu". He appeared as part of a some dumb story about the High Evolutionary (by Steve Englehart? Not 100% sure), and wouldn't even be a footnote if not for a later story. During Walt Simonson's Thor run, Beta-Yondu returns—except instead of just one guy, there's now a whole planet of them. Turns out Beta-Yondu decided that two Yondus running around the universe created too great a risk that they'd interfere with each other's lives—mistaken identity troubles and such; and that, as the clone, Beta should be the loser who has to withdraw from cosmic society. But a dude gets lonely, so he (and I forget the details of how) cloned himself or had himself cloned until there were enough Yondu clones to form a whole society.

Because all of the Yondu clones were basically the same guy, and living so close to each other, isolated from anyone else, their brainwaves all synchronized or whatever: they became a planet wide psychic gestalt. Being able to coordinate a world's worth of whistle-men elevated this super-mind from controlling only arrows, to being able to whistle complex tunes that could alter fundamental elements of matter, warp spacetime, manipulate gravity and hyperspace, and whatever other bullshit powers. They were no longer the B-Yondus: now, they were the Beyonders.

The Living Tribunal is a character from an early issue of Fantastic Four. Weird radioactive bullshit merges three federal judges into one superhero, the Living Tribunal. (Two of the judges were incredibly obvious serial-numbers-removed versions of Earl Warren and Howard Taft; I don't know who, if anyone, the third was based on.) The Living Tribunal grows Hulk-strong (and sometimes gets whatever power the writer feels convenient) when in the vicinity of fair, equitable, and just events. Injustice, predictably, physically harms the Tribunal. The character usually appears in ham-handed social commentary stories.

Both the Beyonders and the Living Tribunal tie into Hickman's Avengers Machine theme: many individuals united in a single purpose, and made stronger for their unity. The death of the Living Tribunal also helps set the moral tone of the story. Normally, the Tribunal is a powerful character, even when not charged up by justice; that he's able to die suggests that there must be some incredibly heavy wrongness afoot.

Hope that this helped!

I wish I hadn't posted. hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

If you've seen Guardians of the Galaxy, you probably remember Yondu, the blue guy who could control his space-dart by whistling at it. The original Beyonder was just a clone of that guy—the "Beta-Yondu". He appeared as part of a some dumb story about the High Evolutionary (by Steve Englehart? Not 100% sure), and wouldn't even be a footnote if not for a later story. During Walt Simonson's Thor run, Beta-Yondu returns—except instead of just one guy, there's now a whole planet of them. Turns out Beta-Yondu decided that two Yondus running around the universe created too great a risk that they'd interfere with each other's lives—mistaken identity troubles and such; and that, as the clone, Beta should be the loser who has to withdraw from cosmic society. But a dude gets lonely, so he (and I forget the details of how) cloned himself or had himself cloned until there were enough Yondu clones to form a whole society.

Because all of the Yondu clones were basically the same guy, and living so close to each other, isolated from anyone else, their brainwaves all synchronized or whatever: they became a planet wide psychic gestalt. Being able to coordinate a world's worth of whistle-men elevated this super-mind from controlling only arrows, to being able to whistle complex tunes that could alter fundamental elements of matter, warp spacetime, manipulate gravity and hyperspace, and whatever other bullshit powers. They were no longer the B-Yondus: now, they were the Beyonders.

The Living Tribunal is a character from an early issue of Fantastic Four. Weird radioactive bullshit merges three federal judges into one superhero, the Living Tribunal. (Two of the judges were incredibly obvious serial-numbers-removed versions of Earl Warren and Howard Taft; I don't know who, if anyone, the third was based on.) The Living Tribunal grows Hulk-strong (and sometimes gets whatever power the writer feels convenient) when in the vicinity of fair, equitable, and just events. Injustice, predictably, physically harms the Tribunal. The character usually appears in ham-handed social commentary stories.

Both the Beyonders and the Living Tribunal tie into Hickman's Avengers Machine theme: many individuals united in a single purpose, and made stronger for their unity. The death of the Living Tribunal also helps set the moral tone of the story. Normally, the Tribunal is a powerful character, even when not charged up by justice; that he's able to die suggests that there must be some incredibly heavy wrongness afoot.

Hope that this helped!

Please email this to Marvel as your resume tia.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Squizzle posted:

holy moley!!!

This rules and it's only when I got to the Living Tribunal bit (because I actually know more about it) that I got sad that the Beyonder story wasn't real :(

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
I'm reminded of the awesome cosmic issues of Quasar (RIP Mark Gruenwald). Quasar was taken on a bit of a tour of the outer cosmic realms of the Marvel Universe with the help of the Contemplator, and find that the abstract beings of the universe (that's your Living Tribunals, Death, Lord Chaos, Master Order, etc.) actually use avatar bodies when they have to interact physically with the greater universe. So, you could have Eternity in a bunch of different places at the same time doing interactions, but each not actually being the real Eternity, since Eternity is an abstract concept and can't actually be destroyed or touched or physically interacted with. This is to make it easier for people like Quasar or Hank Pym to understand what's happening. A bunch of cosmic entities interacting with each other would be too much for a mortal human being to take in, so there's an entity (clumsily called Anthropomorpho) that does this for mortals, making it look like cosmic entities are actually physically interacting with each other. Quasar actually did this himself too, acting as an avatar-agent of Infinity while Maelstrom (interestingly an Inhuman...) acting on behalf of Oblivion. This is also explained elsewhere too with Galactus appearing as the race he's interacting with, so when Galactus ate the Skrull homeworld, he looked like a skrull, not a human. I wonder if this will play into this Avengers arc.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Squizzle posted:

Hope that this helped!

Thank you. I've been trying to get into comic books and this is very helpful.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Thanks guys, your explanations are great and much better than dry-as-sawdust Wiki pages.

So the Avengers are going to do a "Buffalo Bill" on Jack Kirby's corpse :stonk:

Also I choose to believe that everything Squizzle posted is true (even if it's not).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cheap Trick posted:

Also I choose to believe that everything Squizzle posted is true (even if it's not).

It's not, but it should be.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's not, but it should be.

Honestly, I assumed it was true and that all that's just been gradually retconned/forgotten. LIke, Living Tribunal created the way he described, forgotten for 10 years, is now a cosmic entity with no reference to his origin.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Nevvy Z posted:

Honestly, I assumed it was true and that all that's just been gradually retconned/forgotten. LIke, Living Tribunal created the way he described, forgotten for 10 years, is now a cosmic entity with no reference to his origin.

Believe me, I wish that was so. If anyone deserves to be a superhero it's Earl Warren, you know? But no.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Neither the worst nor most unbelievable character origins I've ever read, but they have my stamp of approval

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Believe me, I wish that was so. If anyone deserves to be a superhero it's Earl Warren, you know? But no.

His main enemy could be a kind of cosmic-powered android called Robert Borg.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Squizzle posted:

Hope that this helped!
lol

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just to clarify something...those universes where the Illuminati and Cabal flat-out succeeded in destroying alternate Earths are, in fact, still alive and kicking, just going about their business with one less planet? Are those universes going to remain unaffected by the remaining incursions, completely detached from the rest of the multiverse, or will they also be destroyed when the incursions finish...incursioning...every other universe?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

BrianWilly posted:

Just to clarify something...those universes where the Illuminati and Cabal flat-out succeeded in destroying alternate Earths are, in fact, still alive and kicking, just going about their business with one less planet? Are those universes going to remain unaffected by the remaining incursions, completely detached from the rest of the multiverse, or will they also be destroyed when the incursions finish...incursioning...every other universe?

The universes that have been cut off by someone destroying their Earth are all wiped out at the end-point, once all the other universes have crashed together.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah it seems like it didnt help out at all in the end because the Beyonders are smushing any survivors together.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Everything dies. Reed points it out at the start of New Avengers. It's why they barely even entertain the notion.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

BrianWilly posted:

They're still pretty hosed by the Beyonders slaughtering every cosmic entity everywhere.
That and the incursion game causing an accelerated decay of the multiverse.

My takeaway from the Beyonders issue was that there wasn't just one threat to everything but two that are competing to gently caress the multiverse.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PelvicNerve posted:

They're still pretty hosed by the Beyonders slaughtering every cosmic entity everywhere.
That and the incursion game causing an accelerated decay of the multiverse.

My takeaway from the Beyonders issue was that there wasn't just one threat to everything but two that are competing to gently caress the multiverse.
And then something caused like 90% of the existant universes to die off almost all at once, which no one expected. There was supposed to be more time for the surviving universes, but even that was taken away.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

redbackground posted:

And then something caused like 90% of the existant universes to die off almost all at once, which no one expected. There was supposed to be more time for the surviving universes, but even that was taken away.

I had the impression the sudden die off WAS the Beyonders.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don't think we'll be able to put a real picture on how it all fits until we see RA's side. The swans call the incursions sacrifices to him and it was his creation that started the whole deal so are the Beyonders responding to it by destroying everything to stop his power gain or is RA siphoning off the Beyonders destruction?

Basically how and when did Reed gently caress up because this is totally all his fault.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Speaking of other universes surviving, something hit me in last week's issue: considering the multiverse used to be infinite, wouldn't there be other universes where they did what 616 did and crafted arks to have some people survive outside the multiverse?

I mean, there's no reason our guys are the only ones who would come up with that kind of stuff.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

PelvicNerve posted:

Speaking of other universes surviving, something hit me in last week's issue: considering the multiverse used to be infinite, wouldn't there be other universes where they did what 616 did and crafted arks to have some people survive outside the multiverse?

I mean, there's no reason our guys are the only ones who would come up with that kind of stuff.

I think this is what Battleworld is. All of the realities that figured out some way to 'Not Lose' end up there after everything ends and we get a few months of wacky antics until they somehow create a new universe.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was under the impression that once Earth was destroyed the rest of that multiverse was fine. I thought them talking about the sudden acceleration meant the sudden acceleration of earth deaths, not multiverse deaths.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

I was under the impression that once Earth was destroyed the rest of that multiverse was fine. I thought them talking about the sudden acceleration meant the sudden acceleration of earth deaths, not multiverse deaths.

No, an earth dying compresses the rest of the multiverse by just a bit which brings the end of everything closer. It causes the universes themselves (wether they've encountered/survived an incursion or not) to decay. We've been shown this as stars randomly exploding. Thanos and the cabal have also mentioned the lingering decay from incursion points.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

Well, both Reed and Ultimate Reed's City say there are less than two dozen "universes" remaining within the multiverse. To me, that says you've got your 22, 23 alternate timelines floating around and that's it. Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding your point.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Destroying the Earth in the different multiverses was always basically just a stopgap. All it does is sever that universe from the colliding universes and gives the other universes time to figure out a solution. The endgame of it all was always going to be destruction of all the universes whether the Earth had been destroyed or not.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deadpool posted:

Destroying the Earth in the different multiverses was always basically just a stopgap. All it does is sever that universe from the colliding universes and gives the other universes time to figure out a solution. The endgame of it all was always going to be destruction of all the universes whether the Earth had been destroyed or not.

Which brings the Black Priests / Strange faction's motive into question since they do believe eradicating all Earths will fix things.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Deadpool posted:

And if your earth blows up you are stranded in your universe with no chance of stopping what is slowly collapsing your universe.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

What I've taken away from all of this is that nobody has a clue of what is really going on.

After all, Black Swan was initially presented as being a source of knowledge, but the longer the story went on, the more it is clear that her knowledge comes from rote memorization of her religion as opposed to true understanding.

The Builders were a super Multiverse wide civilization, but when the Superstructure of the Multiverse collapsed they were completely cutoff. Their plan has been "kill all Earths to save the Multiverse."
But it looks like even without the Earth's, the Universe will still rot and die early.

When all of this is considered even the Illumanti's basic assumptions could be built on huge mistakes.
(They operated on the basis that when two Earth's collide then both are destroyed. It's possible that in fact Earth's colliding may just merge them and moves them to some Nth Space where Battleworld will take place. There's a mention in a New Avengers issue (It's New Avengers NOW # 1) where Black Panther observes that there seems to be some time dilation effect that occurs just before worlds end. )

And if the Super-geniuses are flawed in their understandings, then the question becomes why the Hell did people trust them to fix this problem?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

The Question IRL posted:

And if the Super-geniuses are flawed in their understandings, then the question becomes why the Hell did people trust them to fix this problem?

Uh, they didn't.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

why the Hell did people trust them to fix this problem?
When did this happen? The Illuminati took it upon themselves to hide this little problem from Everybody, and then they were hunted down when their actions became public.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 10, 2015

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

redbackground posted:

When did this happen? The Illuminati took it upon themselves to hide this little problem from Everybody, and then they were hunted down when their actions became public.

Roberto's plan is to get his Corporate Avengers to make Steve Rogers SHIELD Avengers sit down and let the Illumanti try and come up with a solution to the Incursions.

I'm convinced that things aren't going to end well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

Roberto's plan is to get his Corporate Avengers to make Steve Rogers SHIELD Avengers sit down and let the Illumanti try and come up with a solution to the Incursions.

Its more that now they are all working on trying to stop the incursions not just the Illumanti.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Question IRL posted:

Roberto stopped the fighting and the Illuminati threw the Cabal off the universe so I think they're in ok standing right now. Also Stark hosed off so Steve isn't seeing red. Now that Pym explained just how hosed they are I think Cap will be a tiny bit more understanding.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

It's also clear that Steve and Company would still have them all imprisoned in a heartbeat. Things are quickly coming to an end, and really, who else are they going to hash this out with? They're working together, but only because they sort of have to.

As Happy Noodle Boy implies, things are going to get ugly quick when Tony and Steve meet back up (which should be delightful).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 10, 2015

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Is it tomorrow yet? :ohdear:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can't loving wait for tomorrow. It should be the issue that makes everything else "click".

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Scanbro posted the Rabum Alal reveal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

vegeta dentata posted:

Scanbro posted the Rabum Alal reveal.

And I'm done with the Internet until tomorrow 9am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002