Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The next movie should be Cell gets brought back to life but goes legit.

Until he runs into Goku/Vegeta at a parent/teacher conference for his son Cell Jr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The thing that's most annoying about Goku having to the be the hero all the time (except, of course, when THE HERO IS YOU), is all the Krillins bystanders going "GOKU! :swoon:" over and over again when he shows up to save the day yet again.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The funniest thing about Xenoverse is that it just straight up ignores Uub. Pretends he doesn't even exist.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I've been rewatching Dragonball and having a blast which kind of surprised me because I find Goku boring and unlikable in DBZ. Then I realized that scenes with Goku in them make up more than half of the runtime of almost every episode. You watch Goku get in trouble and then get out of trouble.

Most of DBZ involves characters that are not Goku getting in trouble. Because they're viewpoint characters you identify with them. And then bam Goku shows up and saves the day. Then he ends up offscreen for another couple dozen episodes. I'm starting to wonder if minute for minute Krillin has more screentime in DBZ than Goku. The upshot is, you never get to see the point of view characters get to save the day, and in a way it feels frustrating to follow their travails but never get catharsis.

DBZ either needs more Goku or less Goku. Sadly it has a less than optimal quantity of Goku.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The funniest thing about Xenoverse is that it just straight up ignores Uub. Pretends he doesn't even exist.

Well, timeline-wise it only goes up to Battle of the Gods. It had GT stuff in it but only as DLC or non-plot costumes.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

The next movie should be Cell gets brought back to life but goes legit.

Until he runs into Goku/Vegeta at a parent/teacher conference for his son Cell Jr.

See my dumb kid fanfiction was Cell creating a Cell Jr. before the Cell games and killing it so it would be revived if/when Cell was defeated and the dragonballs were used to revive everyone Cell killed. Then it could be a Piccolo Jr. situation.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Well, timeline-wise it only goes up to Battle of the Gods. It had GT stuff in it but only as DLC or non-plot costumes.

Uub is end of Z, though, right?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Uub is end of Z, though, right?

Uub only shows up in a timeskip at the very end of the series (which will probably become non-canon if they keep making movies). Battle of the Gods takes place before that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get Uub's clothes, so he's not totally ignored.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Parts of the original manga becoming non-canon is a very silly idea.

Not to say it won't happen, of course.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Parts of the original manga becoming non-canon is a very silly idea.
Guess how much Toriyama worries about that?

Give your answer in a measurement of cents.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Spiderdrake posted:

Guess how much Toriyama worries about that?

Give your answer in a measurement of cents.

Can I give my answer in a new unit I call "Launch?"

You can find the amount he gives by watching Dragonball Z Kai. Count how many Launches appear.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

There's a 10 year gap between the defeat of Buu and when Goku meets Uub, so Toriyama has plenty of time to work with and make more movies. The only problem is how absurdly powerful Goku will become by the end of those 10 years.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Rhonne posted:

There's a 10 year gap between the defeat of Buu and when Goku meets Uub, so Toriyama has plenty of time to work with and make more movies. The only problem is how absurdly powerful Goku will become by the end of those 10 years.

Yeah, it kind of stretches the imagination that Goku would be excited to fight the reincarnation of Buu when he's already become a literal god, trained with Vegeta under the strongest being in the universe, and got a rematch with Super Freeza. Buu looks less and less impressive the more movies come out.

Though I guess nothing in the new movies technically contradicts the epilogue.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, it kind of stretches the imagination that Goku would be excited to fight the reincarnation of Buu when he's already become a literal god, trained with Vegeta under the strongest being in the universe, and got a rematch with Super Freeza. Buu looks less and less impressive the more movies come out.

Though I guess nothing in the new movies technically contradicts the epilogue.

Kid Buu base is way stronger than Freeza both without training. So how strong will Uub be after training? That's what Goku wants to see.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah what Goku is getting excited about is masterfully training Uub to release the hidden potential his sticky pink former life held. I don't think it really contradicts the ending if he's more or less powerful, does it?

Covok posted:

This is basically the perfect measurement for DBZ.

How many launches does Goku give about Uub?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nothing ultimately will change the last few episodes of DBZ, but it does kinda restrict the canon movies they can do with kid Pan, if he ever wants to get farther into time.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Covok posted:

You can find the amount he gives by watching Dragonball Z Kai. Count how many Launches appear.

Lunch got blonde power-ups before it was cool.

I was pretty surprised in Xenoverse when I brought Krillin to a side quest and he asked Tien how things are going with Lunch. Almost tempted to buy whatever dlc has her costume in it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Drunk bulma is the best thing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Whoops!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

"Hey look guys Vegeta actually has friends!" is a really good line read, in the english dub.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Battle of the Gods was cool. It was weird seeing dbz with modern coloring techniques but some of the animation was really slick. The thing I loved the most was probably the total nonchalance by everybody involved, mostly with the cutting back to whis eating whatever even during the fight scenes.

It was nice to see old characters like pilaf and gang again, with maybe a happy ending for them? I hope they show up in the Freeza one that's supposed to be a sequel too.

It being more Vegeta and the other side-characters centric was cool too, cause Goku's a big jerk. It got less interesting (in a setting sense I guess, the fights still engaging) once it was back to goku and his goofy after effect flames powerup, but was still animated real nice at least.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The best part was definitely Kai driving around his little planet for dramatic effect though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sharkopath posted:

I hope they show up in the Freeza one that's supposed to be a sequel too.

They're in the tie-in manga, at least. Frieza's goons steal the Dragon Balls from them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sharkopath posted:

The best part was definitely Kai driving around his little planet for dramatic effect though.

That might be my favorite gag in all of dragon ball.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

who cares, i'm loving the idea of a freeza training sequence
Is Freeza's montage set to DMX?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I like the fan theory that GT is an alternate universe if Beerus never came to Earth.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Goku gave everyone multiple chances to be useful and be the hero, but they just failed at every opportunity and ended up always having to be saved by him. It's like a justice league with 1 superman and 10 aquamen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Isn't Aquaman ridiculously badass now, though?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

Goku gave everyone multiple chances to be useful and be the hero, but they just failed at every opportunity and ended up always having to be saved by him. It's like a justice league with 1 superman and 10 aquamen.

That'd be fine, but there's a writer behind these things writing these things and it kinda falls on him to make these heroes get themselves out of the rut on their own.

And I frankly do want to see super saiyan high school.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I legit believe Toriyama has forgotten the epilogue and every subsequent franchise thing (BoG, RoF, Xenoverse) is going to make it more and more non-canon. Which is fine, it's a super weak ending.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly every time someone suggests that DBZ actually make sense and follow a logical plot progression i just cant help but imagine how loving boring that would be

literally every arc post-raditz is just the heroes desperately scrambling and doing whatever comes to mind first to deal with increasingly ridiculous threats. yajirobe saved the day. tien saved the day twice. even yamcha at least found the androids (even if it didnt end that well.) And then when you think about it for five seconds, you realize Toriyama was also desperately scrambling and doing whatever came to mind first.

It's what makes DBZ fun and even unpredictable. Like, will Gohan actually save the day in the Buu saga? If this was written well, obviously he would, but this is DBZ so who the gently caress knows. There's a reason most of us were glued to the TV week-in and week-out even though the show had the pacing of a dying snail.

Trading that in for dumb fancy-pants words like 'character development' and 'themes' would suck hard.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Aren't they doing the Buu arc in Kai? Wouldn't they just have to do a different ending to ignore Uub and permanently put the nail in GT'S coffin?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Gohan deflected a bullet into his wife's leg and another bullet into the forehead of a party guest.

Gohan sucks.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Gohan deflected a bullet into his wife's leg and another bullet into the forehead of a party guest.

Gohan sucks.

To be fair he was drunk.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I've always been fascinated by voice actors' relationship to the anime they do, especially since the North American fandom's attitude towards localization as a whole has really shifted. It used to be that anime VAs had no particular interest in anime (they were actors in general out for work) and they would get thrown in a dark booth with zero context for the scene and read the lines with no direction. Ewan Macgregor's performance in Star Wars is enough proof that with terrible direction, even great actors can sound flat and awful. This along with a lack of uncut home video release for a lot of stuff made late 90s, early 00s anime fans really hostile towards dub voice actors. I remember well because when I was ten I was a forums poster on Planet Namek and the unfortunately named and conceived DBZ Otaku Alliance, and gawd the bitching about the dub.

At around this time I think people were looking for any excuse to jump on these poor VAs and I remember people finding interviews they gave and jumping on any error they detected. Sadly it was also pretty common for the time for VAs to admit to never having watched the show or not even being aware of the basic story.

I was watching the DBZ battle of gods extra features on YouTube, and in one of the clips Sabat mentions that the first thing they all did was get together and watch the subtitled film. He also goes on to explain that while directing he always gets the actor up to speed on the story to contextualize the scene (amusingly they show a clip of him telling the voice actor of Buu something like "you're at a party and you don't want to share pudding. That's about it." He does explain that while he voiced bit parts he hates it when the director explains to him the entire story from the beginning.) That alone was great to hear but I also saw a video on YouTube where clearly there's some slow moment at a Battle of Gods event and someone asks Sonny Strait and Sean Schemmel to explain the story of DBZ and they go on to recount the story in high detail and they sound giddy as gently caress doing so. You can tell all the old guard DBZ dubbing team just loving loves the show.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 9, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kild posted:

To be fair he was drunk.

He was drunk AND also thought they had a fake gun.

Of course since they have like lightspeed reaction times, he should be able to control where he deflects them anyway, but being drunk does slow down the old reflexes :)

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Darko posted:

He was drunk AND also thought they had a fake gun.

Of course since they have like lightspeed reaction times, he should be able to control where he deflects them anyway, but being drunk does slow down the old reflexes :)

Guy can't catch an earring and you expect him to accurately deflect bullets?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Szmitten posted:

I legit believe Toriyama has forgotten the epilogue and every subsequent franchise thing (BoG, RoF, Xenoverse) is going to make it more and more non-canon. Which is fine, it's a super weak ending.

At least Neko Majin acknowledges it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Petiso posted:

At least Neko Majin acknowledges it:

10-16 years is enough to forget. I kinda want him to forget so something crazy could happen in the movies and have a character die/show up/survive/have circumstances change that is totally at odds with what we saw. it would also probably be way more liberating for him.

• Locked thread