Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Max Manus posted:

Behold, the industry export-import building!

Oh god that thing. I pass it on the tram every day, and it's just so ... aggressively bland. At least the lighting makes it look kind of dramatic at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

netally posted:

I only found out this thing existed the other day. ArcelorMittal Orbit, some sort of lovely observation tower built for the 2012 Olympics.

It looks like someone designed a regular, boring tower, but their kid scribbled all over the design randomly, so they just presented it as some cutting edge design.

i spoke to some people involved in this project in 2011 and they were so proud of it, it was on all of arups marketing things for like a year before they realised everyone thought it was idiotic

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

netally posted:

I only found out this thing existed the other day. ArcelorMittal Orbit, some sort of lovely observation tower built for the 2012 Olympics.

It looks like someone designed a regular, boring tower, but their kid scribbled all over the design randomly, so they just presented it as some cutting edge design.

So what happened, did they have a big batch of thick wall tubing that didn't meet spec or something?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Paddyb posted:

I'm on the fence:

The Tulsa Tornado Tower

At least it's next to the already hideous BOK center, so the ugly can stick together. And if it gets hit by a tornado, both buildings can get blown to Oz.

I wish Tulsa had rules that new buildings had to fit in with all of our existing awesome Art Deco stuff. All the new, shiny, ultra-modern stuff sticks out so bad. I loathe the BOK center.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I just learned that Frank Gehry is 86 years old. When are you going to retire Frank, you started late but you've designed enough huge weird buildings for one lifetime

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

(weird cultist church thing. not pictured: there's usually a giant inflatable cow that's just as tall as the building in the parking lot)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

netally posted:

It's pushing the definition of architecture but on the subject of London I feel the urge to mention the 'Emirates Air Lines' aka the cross-thames cable car that opened around the same time as the ArcelorMittal Orbit (.ie in time for Olympics). Numbers are falling (to 10% of capacity) and it keeps having to be shut due to high winds. At one point a massive four people were using it enough in a week to trigger the commuter discount, now nobody does.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-10079921.html

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Paddyb posted:

I'm on the fence:

The Tulsa Tornado Tower

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gender illusionist posted:

This thread owns ; that japanese classical column building is one of the funniest things I've seen. Just think how many people had to say
'yes good idea' before it was built.
From the way I've hard Japanese business culture described, it might not have been that many people. You're not really supposed to "rock the boat" by questioning the decisions of your seniors in many companies. (The reverence for old people can sorta be seen in how their CEOs are like a decade older on average than in the West.)

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Corek posted:

Every clock tower in this picture is at the same scale. That's Big Ben on the upper right.

Sorry to jump way back, but is the clock on the lower left in Milwaukee? If it's what I think it is, I had no idea it was notable, and it's in a really hilarious place for something that seems to only be dwarfed by mecclock.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Sorry to jump way back, but is the clock on the lower left in Milwaukee? If it's what I think it is, I had no idea it was notable, and it's in a really hilarious place for something that seems to only be dwarfed by mecclock.

Yeah, that's the Allen Bradley clock tower. At least, it used to be, until Allen Bradley got bought out by Rockwell Automation.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

I'm noticing the other architectural failure of the trolley tracks over the fountain in the foreground.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Dr.Smasher posted:

Yeah, that's the Allen Bradley clock tower. At least, it used to be, until Allen Bradley got bought out by Rockwell Automation.

Apparently it is the world's largest 4 faced clock tower. What's really funny is where it is: nowhere near downtown, just kind of off the highway far enough that you won't notice it that much. It's higher than everything else in the area, but that place is hardly built up, mostly just the clock tower, smokestacks, and church steeples make up anything higher than a residential building or warehouse.

I was looking for a picture of it from the highway to show how not impressive what turns out to be a pretty impressive thing looks like, but couldn't find one. Plus, it's not impressive. Maybe that's why no one talks about it.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

Arkham Asylum is based off of Danver's State Hospital

Unfortunately, they somewhat recently tore apart most of the building and replaced it with... condos.

it now looks like this

bencreateddisco fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 8, 2015

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's pushing the definition of architecture but on the subject of London I feel the urge to mention the 'Emirates Air Lines' aka the cross-thames cable car that opened around the same time as the ArcelorMittal Orbit (.ie in time for Olympics). Numbers are falling (to 10% of capacity) and it keeps having to be shut due to high winds. At one point a massive four people were using it enough in a week to trigger the commuter discount, now nobody does.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-10079921.html

The Dangleway, as it's affectionately known, has its own Twitter about how sad and lonely it is

So does the Beetham Tower in Manchester, which came up slightly earlier in the thread and still looks to me like it's going to fall onto the platform at Deansgate given a strong enough wind.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Duckbill posted:

So does the Beetham Tower in Manchester, which came up slightly earlier in the thread and still looks to me like it's going to fall onto the platform at Deansgate given a strong enough wind.

The bar in that place sucks too. The view is great at night but the cocktails aren't worth the price.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The bar in that place sucks too. The view is great at night but the cocktails aren't worth the price.

they never are

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.

Wedemeyer posted:

London: here's what you do. Build a real good basic bridge, but paint it international orange and call it golden. Works for San Francisco!

It's called the golden gate because it spans the "Golden Gate".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

Skutter posted:

On the topic of ugly art museums and college campus buildings... This is the Broad Art Museum in East Lansing, MI.

I think it's really cool (specially the inside). The only problem is that it has nothing to do with the rest of the buildings on campus

Content:

The building for Telefonica (telecommunications corporation) in Chile. And yes, It does look like a phone

The most disgusting looking mall I have ever seen

No comment (It's another mall)

The penis of south america (?) (of course part of it is a mall)

Finally the national library of Argentina

Souvlaki ss fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 9, 2015

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar

FizFashizzle posted:

one of the best articles ever posted in LF was this thing that was about the history of modernism told through the lens of the construction of city hall in albany, NY.

It was just loving cool as poo poo to read and basically was all about how hideous the architectural movement was, how it was a complete failure, how they destroyed downtown albany to do it, how hitler had kicked all the modernists out of germany, etc.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?
No, but it sounds interesting. I'm assuming you are referencing the south mall project. I had a professor who really hated it because it was such a great example of modernism/brutalism in the US.

A dutch princess was visiting in the 1950s for Tulip Fest and Gov. Nelson Rockefeller was embarrassed when drove through a working class neighborhood. Obviously, the best way to fix this would be to use eminent domain to displace a bunch of neighborhoods (9000ish people, 360ish businesses including department stores and the last downtown movie theater). Forcing the eviction of many immigrants (mostly Jewish/Italian) who fled Europe for these very reasons to build cathedrals to authoritarianism... :patriot:

Goodbye 100 acres

After demolition

The plaza is uncomfortable in the way best described way of 'being non-human sized'.

The tower on the right is the tallest tower in NY outside of NYC. It still singularly dominates the skyline.

Its not much better head on. Kind of like the star wars destroyer or something.

Judge Dredd please report to the Hall of Justice.

Dont confuse that with the museum.

Or the legislative building.

They Might Be Giants wrote a song (Albany) about the theater called 'the egg'

tldr; they bulldozed a bunch of walkable neighborhoods of people who fled from facism to build modernist/brutalist plaza

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I loved Flight of the Navigator as a kid.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

netally posted:

It looks like it started off twice as high, but then melted in warm weather.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Missed opportunity for a rollercoaster

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I'm noticing the other architectural failure of the trolley tracks over the fountain in the foreground.

Nah, that's sensible enough. It's a roundabout, and the tram drives straight over those. They decided at some point to pretty it up a bit by putting in a water surface and some tiny water jets, probably because it was easy to combine with the tracks. I think the jets turn off when there is a tram crossing, but I can't imagine they'd do any harm either way.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Here are some of my "favourite" buildings I've encountered in my time on the planet:

Deutsche Oper, Berlin (1961)—opera house, nick name: "Sing Sing":

Gran Hotel, Arecife (1965)—a giant eyesore of a hotel, more than three times as tall as the next tallest building in the whole of Lanzarote, it's visible from literally the other end of the island. Refurbished in teal glass after a fire. I'll give'em this though: The view from the excellent restaurant on the top floor is amazing, and does not include the Gran Hotel!

UCL Institute of Education, London (1975)

Front:

Back:

Alexa Shopping Mall, Berlin (2007)—a pink blight on the city

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
That Alexa thing is truly loving hideous. otoh I've never seen a shopping mall that made me go "Wow, this is pretty!"

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

wayfinder posted:

Alexa Shopping Mall, Berlin (2007)—a pink blight on the city

I like it, but why do shopping centers always seem to have this one entirely featureless face? Like 'Nobody worth considering lives or works on this side of the building, so it doesn't have to look like anything'.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

TheMostFrench posted:

I like it, but why do shopping centers always seem to have this one entirely featureless face? Like 'Nobody worth considering lives or works on this side of the building, so it doesn't have to look like anything'.

It's probably because they assume someone will build on the plot of land next to it (or they'll expand into it), so there's no point doing anything with a side that will eventually be obscured. So until that time comes, gently caress you, here's a blank featureless void.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

xsuperkidx posted:

No, but it sounds interesting. I'm assuming you are referencing the south mall project. I had a professor who really hated it because it was such a great example of modernism/brutalism in the US.

A dutch princess was visiting in the 1950s for Tulip Fest and Gov. Nelson Rockefeller was embarrassed when drove through a working class neighborhood. Obviously, the best way to fix this would be to use eminent domain to displace a bunch of neighborhoods (9000ish people, 360ish businesses including department stores and the last downtown movie theater). Forcing the eviction of many immigrants (mostly Jewish/Italian) who fled Europe for these very reasons to build cathedrals to authoritarianism... :patriot:

Goodbye 100 acres

After demolition

The plaza is uncomfortable in the way best described way of 'being non-human sized'.

The tower on the right is the tallest tower in NY outside of NYC. It still singularly dominates the skyline.

Its not much better head on. Kind of like the star wars destroyer or something.

Judge Dredd please report to the Hall of Justice.

Dont confuse that with the museum.

Or the legislative building.

They Might Be Giants wrote a song (Albany) about the theater called 'the egg'

tldr; they bulldozed a bunch of walkable neighborhoods of people who fled from facism to build modernist/brutalist plaza

the entire plaza looks so out of place, nothing else in albany is anywhere near the size of even the smaller agency buildings let alone corning. the empire state plaza is basically the entirety of what can be considered a 'skyline'. it seems like it was constructed with the idea that albany would become a booming metropolis or something, which it should be obvious that'd never happen.

also it's right next to the nys capitol, one of my favorite buildings ever. the plaza clashes with it so much, i can't even imagine what they were thinking. i will admit that the egg is pretty cool from the inside tho.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Souvlaki ss posted:

It's like an oil rig had a baby with a Le Corbusier building.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

"Nyet comrade, we simply built cheap known to be flawed reactor, it will be fine. vodka for everyone"

"poo poo"

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Souvlaki ss posted:

It looks like something Corbusier would do with Archigram, like it's going to go walk all around the city on its own, destroying everything and everyone.

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

hahaha jenga

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Wedemeyer posted:

"Timmy get down from there! That's not the path to cross the river!!" Timmy cannot hear you. Timmy is 500kilometers away on one of the many pathways on Deathbridge.

Looks like the "artist" was told to draw a bridge design, grabbed a marker and scribbled on some paper "Here's your damned bridge!"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cubey posted:

also it's right next to the nys capitol, one of my favorite buildings ever. the plaza clashes with it so much, i can't even imagine what they were thinking. i will admit that the egg is pretty cool from the inside tho.

The NY capitol is the ugliest building on the mall and a total pig.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

That Alexa thing is truly loving hideous. otoh I've never seen a shopping mall that made me go "Wow, this is pretty!"

I found the Zlote Tarasy in Warsaw to be "ok".

There is a shopping center in Paris that is ridiculously nice though, Galleries Lafayette:

EDIT: If you count it, the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan is really nice too but it is sort of like an enclosed street.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 9, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

remame this thread the questionable buildings thread

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Phoon posted:

remame this thread the questionable buildings thread

how about the PHOON SUCK MEGATHREAD

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

quote:

haha just kidding! these shots are from the next Bioshock game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
what was that brutalist highrise estate that kinda sorta collapsed in britain? like i dont think the whole thing toppled but some parts of it did

• Locked thread