Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

DaveKap posted:

Oh, nothing broke. My friend wants to get artsy on it and I'd rather he do that on parts that are OK to break.

store.nintendo.com's only carrying backplates right now. It's probably still a bit early for there to be lots of replacement parts out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

DaveKap posted:

Oh, nothing broke. My friend wants to get artsy on it and I'd rather he do that on parts that are OK to break.

Just buy one of those clear cases or whatever. Unless he's going to do some cool rear end laser etching.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

noirstronaut posted:

Just buy one of those clear cases or whatever. Unless he's going to do some cool rear end laser etching.
I don't want a case, the XL is fat enough as it is. I don't know exactly what he's gonna do but, knowing him, it's probably something you can't do on cheap plastic or rubber. That said, is there a really thin case out there that isn't cheap plastic or rubber?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DaveKap posted:

I don't want a case, the XL is fat enough as it is. I don't know exactly what he's gonna do but, knowing him, it's probably something you can't do on cheap plastic or rubber. That said, is there a really thin case out there that isn't cheap plastic or rubber?

I guess skins from various vendors like Skinomi? There's no "really thin case" on the market really.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Man, you guys weren't even kidding about this DK'94. This game is just the best!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DK'94 is an absolute hidden treasure.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I bought a Newds on a whim and the upgrade from an old standard 3ds is pretty amazing. The 3d refuses to work if I hold it six inches from my face and it sometimes feels so flimsy that I get eye daggers every time I press a button, but overall it's just really good looking and I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

That said holy poo poo Nintendo is just obscene with the sd card placement. Like, I thought it was funny as much as anyone when people were fretting over having to unscrew something, but I had to loving look up where to find the card because not only are you unscrewing something, you are loving popping the entire back off the drat machine. Goddammit I shouldn't loving have to question how well I reassembled the case because of the cheap plastic aligning poorly.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

kater posted:

I bought a Newds on a whim and the upgrade from an old standard 3ds is pretty amazing. The 3d refuses to work if I hold it six inches from my face and it sometimes feels so flimsy that I get eye daggers every time I press a button, but overall it's just really good looking and I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

That said holy poo poo Nintendo is just obscene with the sd card placement. Like, I thought it was funny as much as anyone when people were fretting over having to unscrew something, but I had to loving look up where to find the card because not only are you unscrewing something, you are loving popping the entire back off the drat machine. Goddammit I shouldn't loving have to question how well I reassembled the case because of the cheap plastic aligning poorly.

Huh, I didn't really have an issue with it. The back snaps back into place quite cleanly in 4 spots even before you start screwing it back on. I almost contemplated leaving them unscrewed but didn't want to risk losing them even if they *are* lock screws.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

kater posted:

Six inches is way too close for the 3D. It wprks best at 10-14 inches.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah I've never had the problems with 3D on the new 3DS compared to the old one, I feel like even if you break 'immersion' for whatever reason that your eye is back in pretty quickly.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I honestly have way more issues with new 3DS 3D than I ever did old 3DS, thinking about turning off the stabilization.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver Falcon posted:

Visually it looks pretty fantastic. Comparable to OoT 3D, if you played that. There are some relatively minor mechanical changes that I've been fine with so far but have turned some people off. Also the bosses have all been re-tweaked. Mostly for the better in my experience thus far. (Haven't fought the fourth boss yet.)
After finishing the last one I think overall the tweaks were an improvement outside of Odolwa who is now laughably easy to the point where it would not be uncommon if he didn't get a single attack off during the battle. People complained the most about Gyorg and Twinmold and called them tedious, but I actually had a decent amount of fun with them because they demand you learn their patterns really quickly and actually were kind of challenging as a result. You have to think of a game plan and strategy for how you'll actually do some damage rather than just sitting around waiting for the boss to enter some phase so you can use the dungeon's item like 99% of Zelda bosses.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

kater posted:

Goddammit I shouldn't loving have to question how well I reassembled the case because of the cheap plastic aligning poorly.

So it's not just me. I swapped out the SD card for a 32GB and I've tried putting the case back on 4 times and it still bulges in spots to the point where I can feel it flex in and out when I'm holding it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

DK'94 is an absolute hidden treasure.

I really wish I had known what the game actually was when it came out. I never gave it a look since it looked like a port of an old boring arcade game at first glance but I totally would have loved it had I played it.

I imagine I wasn't the only one to skip it for this reason, and that's a drat shame. At least it got a sequel in Mario vs Donkey Kong, but that series went to poo poo when they added the Minis and turned it into a crappy lemmings knockoff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

homeless snail posted:

I honestly have way more issues with new 3DS 3D than I ever did old 3DS, thinking about turning off the stabilization.

Take your glasses off

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Take your glasses off

Yeah, glasses kinda mess with it a bit. It's not too bad for me, as my glasses have clear plastic frames and I'm the worst

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I'm sure this has been mentioned plenty of times, but buying a random 3ds usb charger cable for a few bucks was one of the best investments I ever made. I spend 90% of my time playing on my lunch break at work, and being able to plug it into my truck or laptop's usb is beyond handy.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, I just received a $50 Amazon gift card and after trying a New 3DS at PAX I thought I might put it toward an incredibly irresponsible purchase. The problem is that for some reason I can't seem to find the New 3DS on Amazon -- every listing is a scalper charging more than MSRP which I refuse to reward. Is it just not being sold on Amazon by any reputable and non-crooked source? If not, how come? :saddowns:

Also would it be possible to buy myself a New 3DS and give the old one to my fiancee with all the games I have installed to it intact on the old one and reusable on the new one? I can totally understand if this is the kind of thing Nintendo would at the very least strongly discourage of course but it's worth asking.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

loquacius posted:

So, I just received a $50 Amazon gift card and after trying a New 3DS at PAX I thought I might put it toward an incredibly irresponsible purchase. The problem is that for some reason I can't seem to find the New 3DS on Amazon -- every listing is a scalper charging more than MSRP which I refuse to reward. Is it just not being sold on Amazon by any reputable and non-crooked source? If not, how come? :saddowns:

Also would it be possible to buy myself a New 3DS and give the old one to my fiancee with all the games I have installed to it intact on the old one and reusable on the new one? I can totally understand if this is the kind of thing Nintendo would at the very least strongly discourage of course but it's worth asking.

Amazon stopped selling Nintendo hardware back during the whole DS Lite broken hinge debacle. Something to do with losing a lot of money by forcing customers to return them to Amazon instead of having Nintendo repair them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

loquacius posted:

You can't have games installed on two systems. Getting them into the new one deletes the licenses from the old one.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Zonekeeper posted:

I really wish I had known what the game actually was when it came out. I never gave it a look since it looked like a port of an old boring arcade game at first glance but I totally would have loved it had I played it.

I imagine I wasn't the only one to skip it for this reason, and that's a drat shame. At least it got a sequel in Mario vs Donkey Kong, but that series went to poo poo when they added the Minis and turned it into a crappy lemmings knockoff.

I passed it up as a kid because I wanted to get Donkey Kong Land instead since hey, it was Donkey Kong Country on the Game Boy and I didn't know what DK94 was exactly as a kid. In hindsight Dk94 would have been the better choice. It really is a well-made game that is really easy to just pick up and play.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

loquacius posted:

They'll show up once the demand dies down, it'll probably be another month or so. They were just about at MSRP last week, people have just bought the stock third parties were selling so all that's left now are people overcharging.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zonekeeper posted:

Amazon stopped selling Nintendo hardware back during the whole DS Lite broken hinge debacle. Something to do with losing a lot of money by forcing customers to return them to Amazon instead of having Nintendo repair them.

Jesus that's a serious measure.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

fleshweasel posted:

Jesus that's a serious measure.

Hey Amazon is shipping books from some publishers as slow as possible since they are in negotiations with them. They arrive way after release dates and customers suffer because amazon is petty.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

All Frogs posted:

I passed it up as a kid because I wanted to get Donkey Kong Land instead since hey, it was Donkey Kong Country on the Game Boy and I didn't know what DK94 was exactly as a kid. In hindsight Dk94 would have been the better choice. It really is a well-made game that is really easy to just pick up and play.
Is DK94 the game boy game that starts off as a port of the old arcade cabinet, and then just when you think you've beaten its 4 stages it ends up having like 196 more levels? Because that game owned.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Is DK94 the game boy game that starts off as a port of the old arcade cabinet, and then just when you think you've beaten its 4 stages it ends up having like 196 more levels? Because that game owned.

Yeah, that's the one. I just played it for the first time recently and it's been pretty great so far.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Hey Amazon is shipping books from some publishers as slow as possible since they are in negotiations with them. They arrive way after release dates and customers suffer because amazon is petty.

Amazon's response to Nintendo doesn't really seem petty, though. Sounds like amazon really got screwed by a bad business partner.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I kind of wish they would give me a version with the Super Game Boy colors but yeah DK'94 rules.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Link's Awakening and DK94 were extremely my poo poo when I was like 8 years old. I'm glad they are all on the 3DS VC :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I recently fixed my OG game boy and found all my games so TECHNICALLY I don't need the VC version of DK94, but part of me is temped to buy it on principle because I got so much enjoyment out of it back in the day, and having my old Game Boy games on as digital backups on a modern handheld sounds really appealing and convenient.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

You can't have games installed on two systems. Getting them into the new one deletes the licenses from the old one.

This is something they seriously need to fix in future eShop ventures. At the very least, something like where Amazon lets you loan out a book temporarily, but ideally at least sharable between two devices (or more) in the same household. If you're going to pay pretty much the same amount as a cart costs, you should be able to share it similarly. Are there even any other gaming companies that limit an electronic license to one single device for all time?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

does codename: steam come out like tomorrow? shouldn't there be reviews around

edit: friday what to heck

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

epitasis posted:

does codename: steam come out like tomorrow? shouldn't there be reviews around

edit: friday what to heck

Friday is Nintendo's release day. Weird, but it's better than a couple years ago when it was Sundays.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Seriously, has anyone figured out how to get the case back on the New 3DS without it feeling like it's off? Seems like a really bad design for something that needs to be held in your hands.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fremry posted:

Seriously, has anyone figured out how to get the case back on the New 3DS without it feeling like it's off? Seems like a really bad design for something that needs to be held in your hands.

Like... the back plate after you put a new SD card in? I just put it on and screwed it down. What are you doing?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fremry posted:

Push from the bottom like you're making sweet love with a woman of smaller stature.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

noirstronaut posted:

Push from the bottom like you're making sweet love with a woman of smaller stature.

:whitewater:

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012
Can you load movies onto the SD card? My kids have a 2DS and I want to load some kid cartoons so they can have something to watch on trips.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Red Robin Hood posted:

Like... the back plate after you put a new SD card in? I just put it on and screwed it down. What are you doing?

Yeah, I did that. the little notch is lined up at the top, the bottom is fine, but the areas around the screws bulge. I can push it in and feel it flex back. I've tried different amounts of tension on the screws too. It feels like it just isn't the same after I put it on as it was before I took it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

TheHouseofM posted:

Can you load movies onto the SD card? My kids have a 2DS and I want to load some kid cartoons so they can have something to watch on trips.

my 3ds installed a nintendo anime channel by itself which has kids stuff like pokemon so maybe download that