Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I swear the Eponator is slightly faster at the expense of acceleration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

the truth posted:

How do I unlock Mirror Mode? Get all golds on 150cc?

Yep. DLC Cups don't count toward unlocking anything, so don't bother with them if you don't want to.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

I swear the Eponator is slightly faster at the expense of acceleration.

Oh huh, I could have sworn it was identical. Looks like the Eponator is -.75 accel and -.25 handling from a normal sport bike for +.25 speed/weight, and +.50 traction.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004
Does MK8 have instant recoveries from item hits? Seems like people online are brushing off shells and bananas.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

snagger posted:

Does MK8 have instant recoveries from item hits? Seems like people online are brushing off shells and bananas.

I think it's because what happens on your screen doesn't necessarily actually happen to that player because of lag/desync, so it shows them hitting the banana/shell and plays the wipeout animation, but it doesn't actually happen on their side so they don't slow down at all.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If you're looking to be a hardcore race nerd, nothing has really changed with the new DLC. (Yes I got my spreadsheets out again and updated them to check)

I was actually surprised to find that different weight characters have different air/underwater/antigrav speeds. The initial tables we were given never showed that, although these changes appear to be uniformly distributed.

In terms of pure stat value, Lightweight/Scooty/Roller/Acceleration Glider comes out on top.

Obviously this is stupid because you'd have a kart with no speed. When you increase priority (double) heavily for speed, which is fair given that MK8 more than any other is a game about getting in front and just staying there Bowserweight comes out on top, but Scooty and Rollers are still the two best in their respective categories and by quite a long way. They remain so for most stat adjustments.

The big issue is acceleration cap, where acceleration doesn't count unless it hits the next acceleration tier. So on my spreadsheet, a Single bar of acceleration in game is 4 points of acceleration per the spreadsheet. So ideally your combination is going to reach a level divisible by 4.

The thing is, with a Bowserweight car, you get Acceleration of 14, which means 2 points of acceleration are going to waste.

So weighting acceleration and speed the fastest combination should be Bowserweight/Sport Bike/Roller/Acceleration glider. You waste no points to acceleration cap and have the highest feasible speed alongside an acceleration of 4 which is considered high.

I spent way way too long on this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6W67H4zpai1N09aNjVuMUpXakk/view?usp=sharing

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Does Mario Kart 8 not have the perk in Mario Kart 7 where if you get a star ranking on every grand prix in every cc class, there's a star next to your name in online multiplayer?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

sincx posted:

Does Mario Kart 8 not have the perk in Mario Kart 7 where if you get a star ranking on every grand prix in every cc class, there's a star next to your name in online multiplayer?

It doesn't and it's hosed up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maybe once all DLC is out and three starred then they'll give you the name stars.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They toned down the requirements a lot for getting three stars (You just need to win every race in a cup) so pretty much everyone would have at least one star and it'd be kinda pointless

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Does anyone else find that the same handful of tracks are rotated online? There is always one dlc track, and then the likes of cheep cheep beach, toad's turnpike and mount wario get spammed. I'm not complaining about mount wario but cheep cheep beach can gently caress off.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Does anyone else find that the same handful of tracks are rotated online? There is always one dlc track, and then the likes of cheep cheep beach, toad's turnpike and mount wario get spammed. I'm not complaining about mount wario but cheep cheep beach can gently caress off.

I've wondered if they're weighted towards what people vote for more often.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I've felt the same but I bet if I actually kept count it would very closely resemble a random distribution. Randomly choose 3 from a bag of 32 over and over and you'll see how long an unlucky choice can go without appearing.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

pokeyman posted:

I've felt the same but I bet if I actually kept count it would very closely resemble a random distribution. Randomly choose 3 from a bag of 32 over and over and you'll see how long an unlucky choice can go without appearing.

I want a lot more Sunshine Airport in my life :(

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My buddy works as a cop. The department he works for posted this on their Facebook.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
What's the bets Coconut mall returns in May?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I don't remember that track. I'm still pulling for DK Mountain.

And also some kind of rad Animal Crossing track where I get to drive through town and wreck up the place.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

i forgot, but this was my favorite mkwii track

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I want Toad's Factory to come back but I think I was the only one that liked it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Help Im Alive posted:

I want Toad's Factory to come back but I think I was the only one that liked it

I enjoyed that one.

I think I'd like a Ghost House. Maybe.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I want Rainbow Road 7.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

If it's three courses again, my top three picks would probably be Wuhu Loop, Neo Bowser City and Waluigi Pinball (the best ever Mario Kart course).

Also give Wave Race the Excitebike Arena treatment and give us a water course with the anti-grav gimmick.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Coconut Mall is terrible, though the MK7 rendition made it less terrible.

Neo Bowser City would look great gussied up, as long as they don't port over the Bowser castle level that has a few terribly dull underwater sections.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I think the one track I miss the most is DS Delfino Square

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

.TakaM posted:

I think the one track I miss the most is DS Delfino Square

I remember that stage. It was one of the better courses for the DS Mario Kart, but I felt like a lot of the tight turns were really tough and it was really cramped, especially for Mario Kart.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I think they made it a bit wider when they brought it back for MKWii, but the alleyways you race down were cramped to give a better sense of speed and to make items more useful.

Also, I like my racetracks as difficult as possible

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I want to see a remake of Cheese Land

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bought Mario Kart 8 just now. :homebrew: The OP mentions a free game deal, but that deal ended at the end of July, 2014. Should probably be removed. My Nintendo Network ID is omgitsbees. Hoping to race a lot with goons.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I've finally gotten into Mario Kart 8, played it a bunch over the last few days, got gold in all 150cc cups and working on Mirror mode. And got the DLC pack.

First time I played it I got annoyed at all the item fuckery, but I started figuring out all the mini boosts and poo poo and now I've had multiple races where I got hit by a blue shell but I was so far ahead it didn't matter at all. So I started liking the game when I actually put in the effort to learn it.

I'd say it's the best Mario Kart, but I can't really say much about that, since this is actually the first Mario Kart I give any significant time since 64 (and I've barely played Super at all). I played Double Dash, like, once, and tried Mario Kart 7 at a store. I did like that and planned on getting it but when I eventually actually got a 3DS I ended up skipping it.

Excitebike Arena was a goddamned amazing track in every way.

Should get onto some online racing some time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

To be honest I think it would be pretty difficult to argue that any of the other Mario Karts are better than 8. 7 was my favourite before this one but 8 is just better in like every single way

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

KennyMan666 posted:

So I've finally gotten into Mario Kart 8, played it a bunch over the last few days, got gold in all 150cc cups and working on Mirror mode. And got the DLC pack.

First time I played it I got annoyed at all the item fuckery, but I started figuring out all the mini boosts and poo poo and now I've had multiple races where I got hit by a blue shell but I was so far ahead it didn't matter at all. So I started liking the game when I actually put in the effort to learn it.

I'd say it's the best Mario Kart, but I can't really say much about that, since this is actually the first Mario Kart I give any significant time since 64 (and I've barely played Super at all). I played Double Dash, like, once, and tried Mario Kart 7 at a store. I did like that and planned on getting it but when I eventually actually got a 3DS I ended up skipping it.

Excitebike Arena was a goddamned amazing track in every way.

Should get onto some online racing some time.

Online racing (well, above 5000 or so VR) is a good show of how easy the AI is once you know it inside-out.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well, when I say online racing, I mostly mean with people I know who they are rather than random people.

Is there a goonkart IRC channel like there is for smash?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The tracks I most want to see come back for 8 are Waluigi Pinball, Mushroom City, Rainbow Road 7, and DK Mountain.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Mario Kart 8 has some incredible courses, but I think Waluigi Pinball is still the best thing the series has ever mustered. Imagine the beginning of the track with some anti-grav gimmicks :allears:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Give me Baby Park or give me death.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Mario Kart 8 has some incredible courses, but I think Waluigi Pinball is still the best thing the series has ever mustered. Imagine the beginning of the track with some anti-grav gimmicks :allears:

Imagine the pinball track in antigravity, so you actually want to be hit by the giant pinballs.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Imagine the pinball track in antigravity, so you actually want to be hit by the giant pinballs.

:aaaaa:

Ok, I need this now. I mean, I simply must have this... please please Nintendo! That would be so cool. Even the flippers could be small speed boosters. Let the stuff that once hurt you make you turbo boost! That would rule!

*Waluigi Stadium
*Banshee Boardwalk
*Mushroom City
*Wario Colosseum
*Block Fort (Battle Mode)

If we could just get these, we would have the ultimate Mario Kart of all time that will delete the need for any other Mario Karts past, present, or future!

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Spectacle Rock posted:

*Block Fort (Battle Mode)

We so, so, so need purpose-built Battle Mode tracks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If we got real battle mode tracks then this game would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

If we got real battle mode tracks then this game would be perfect.

I would kill for the original donut plains battle track in MK8.

• Locked thread