Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
For serious though Gabtar, what would it actually take for you to believe that these people have been tortured? Because there's been two? NGO reports, a UN report, a Royal Commission report and about 5 internal DIBP reports all stating these things as fact. Abbott's not exactly Goebbels, so is it just a head in the sand type thing?

Also, if there are 300 people in a camp and one of them sets fire to a tent, do all 300 deserve to suffer? Because if we're starting to implement association sentencing, there's quite a few bad posters in this thread that are going to face execution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Do you value the children in detention at all? Like does it bother you that they are fenced from the outside and free world? I know heaps of people who are like you but almost all of them put some consideration that there are indeed children in detention. They squirm, argue, claim it's for the better due to Asian Invasion/Islam/Africans. They never say that the children do not concern them though. In that regard they are at the very least, human.

Everyone here is calling you names, ignore them for a second and describe to me what you think about the children in detention. What does it mean to you?

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Graic Gabtar posted:

Froth as much as you like but it doesn't detract from my comment that when resources are not infinite you can't ignore the fact that destroying what you have does not improve the situation.
*Said after attempting to destroy the thread*

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Those On My Left posted:

You're a very sad person without the emotional resources or the intellectual honesty to deal with these issues in any depth, and I hope that one day you grow up. You might, I guess - there are a few Auspolers who used to read Bolt and vote for Howard and who have since got their poo poo together - but in the meanwhile just know that you're not some brave speaking-truth-to-power culture warrior; you're just a literal torture apologist, you're someone who defends the infliction of immense physical and psychological distress on men, women and children. Sleep tight.
Sounds like I'm the only one who will. Everyone else is choking on their own bile because I make the point that people shouldn't burn down their own dunny block.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Graic Gabtar posted:

Real life threats for stating something completely obvious. The new standard.

There are plenty of people on the internet like TOML, who has just given you a good faith response despite everything, who would prefer to give more civil responses. But for them to actually engage with you on a serious level about subject matter this grim takes a bit of emotional investment. Your attitude does not suggest this investment is worthwhile.

So your odds of actually finding any of these posters on a given day, and also finding them in a good enough mood to try and actually engage with you instead of just turning away in disgust and not wanting to invest the emotional effort, are pretty slim.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Do you value the children in detention at all? Like does it bother you that they are fenced from the outside and free world? I know heaps of people who are like you but almost all of them put some consideration that there are indeed children in detention. They squirm, argue, claim it's for the better due to Asian Invasion/Islam/Africans. They never say that the children do not concern them though. In that regard they are at the very least, human.

Everyone here is calling you names, ignore them for a second and describe to me what you think about the children in detention. What does it mean to you?

He doesn't care because they're not his kids. He made his logic really clear some pages ago when he stated that we shouldn't care because it's not happening to us.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Those On My Left posted:

You're a very sad person

This is literally the only relevant part of that large post. Well, except for the part where you called him 'pathetic'. It was all entirely justified, don't get me wrong - but it was also completely wasted. You're responding to a troll who is looking for exactly this response. Wasting your time is getting him hard. Seeing that he's provoking emotions is giving him a feeling of power. Just... mentally spit upon him and don't. loving. dignify him. with a response.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Ok I understand responding to troll posts in a calm, measured way so that lurkers can read your post and see what is wrong with the troll post.

I don't get sending loads of vitirol the way of the troll. He's a troll. That's exactly what he wants. If you don't like him, why give him what he wants? Where's the logic in that?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Bifauxnen posted:

There are plenty of people on the internet like TOML, who has just given you a good faith response despite everything, who would prefer to give more civil responses. But for them to actually engage with you on a serious level about subject matter this grim takes a bit of emotional investment. Your attitude does not suggest this investment is worthwhile..
A few posts up, some guy wanted me to commit suicide with a cyanide suppository which might have somewhat interfered with the guy a few posts later who wants to anally rape me before killing me.

And you ask why I'm not investing a whole lot into this discussion?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'm probably going to do an :effortpost: at some point soon and spam Singapore Airlines and Tourism Australia etc with "hey so how does the UN finding that Australia is illegally torturing and raping children affect your $12m relationship trying to sell Australia to the world" does anybody have any resources for how to write letters etc

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I'm guessing not well considering when I was working in Belgium, the first thing a colleague said to me when I said I was from Australia was "oh right, the place that tortures refugees".

really wish that was stdh.txt, too

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
yeah but i dont know how to do all this angry email/letter lobbying stuff when its not to MPs. i was thinking like ask whether they're going to review the agreement given that they're supporting and advertising for a country that is torturing refugees, and send that to tourism australia, singapore airlines, and the major shareholders for singapore airlines

i mean i know i'm pissing up a rope but if there are any resources on how to present yourself i'd be much obliged all the same

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Graic Gabtar posted:

A few posts up, some guy wanted me to commit suicide with a cyanide suppository which might have somewhat interfered with the guy a few posts later who wants to anally rape me before killing me.

And you ask why I'm not investing a whole lot into this discussion?

Try picking an individual, then. PM someone who's shown more restraint and thoughtfulness and discuss the issue with them privately. If you do, in fact, want a more reasonable discussion.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Murodese posted:

For serious though Gabtar, what would it actually take for you to believe that these people have been tortured? Because there's been two? NGO reports, a UN report, a Royal Commission report and about 5 internal DIBP reports all stating these things as fact. Abbott's not exactly Goebbels, so is it just a head in the sand type thing?

Anidav posted:

All good questions. And all pointless to answer as any slight disagreement with the mob is either going to invite accusations of "trolling" or another wave of people suggesting I kill myself in horrible ways.

I just didn't want you to think I had ignored you.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can you guys go back to posting good articles and debunking poo poo that isnt a lazy troll? its way more useful and enjoyable to read than kill ur self repeated over and over.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

3 days from now Malcolm Turnbull will be at the Bracken Ridge Tavern from 6pm until 9pm. I will attend to invite him to the next goon meet.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Graic Gabtar posted:

All good questions. And all pointless to answer as any slight disagreement with the mob is either going to invite accusations of "trolling" or another wave of people suggesting I kill myself in horrible ways.

I just didn't want you to think I had ignored you.

Are you going to respond to and address the argument or deflect about the tone of it now?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Anidav are you literally jimmy fallon

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Were there any photos from the Brisbane meet or are they all too depressing

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Keating has written an piece for SMH re Super:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/hockey-plans-to-smash-a-worldclass-superannuation-system-20150309-13z1gc.html

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Anidav are you literally jimmy fallon

I only know of this because a ALP Right higher up emailed me saying I should go to listen to progressive policy.

To no surprise, young ALP Right members are literally going on tour to support Malcolm Turnbull. Also the ALP simply refuses to remove me from their mailing list.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Adnar posted:

Are you going to respond to and address the argument or deflect about the tone of it now?

dooooooooooooon't

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Reminder that superannuation is a bad thing which ties the working class to the current exploitative capitalist system. Also Paul Keating is a terrible person.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

Were there any photos from the Brisbane meet or are they all too depressing

The Brisbane goon meets are generally considered the best out of them all due to preparation, consistency, kindness and an all star cast of jokers.

I always smile when I go. Some of the best people I've ever had the honor of meeting periodically. It has absolutely improved my mental state and social skills by attending and I couldn't express a greater thanks for all the support I've gotten from the Brisbane crew in my harsh period of unemployment.

Kommando usually has the photos.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Adnar posted:

Well, all the previous responses were "children deserve to be tortured, not that there is any proof, plus who cares about that stuff" and he just said his new response would draw much ire, so we can safely assume that his beliefs are in fact still reprehensible.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Anidav posted:

I only know of this because a ALP Right higher up emailed me saying I should go to listen to progressive policy.

To no surprise, young ALP Right members are literally going on tour to support Malcolm Turnbull. Also the ALP simply refuses to remove me from their mailing list.

no i was referring more to how jimmy fallon is 9 times out of 10 the only one laughing at his jokes, but even then he just cant stop laughing as though if his sphincter loosened for even a split second a half kilo of buttons and loose change would fall out of his arsehole

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Whatever man.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Sorry I'm sure you're a great person in general but for this particular instance I find myself agreeing with Avshalom and that more than anything terrifies me so I'm lashing out

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Anidav posted:

Heeyyyy, I'm not Terrible!

Also he's surround by 20 police at all times.

Compare and contrast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EzBz8Oc5uw

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

But you can at least see the humor in it, even if it is not of your taste?

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Anidav posted:

But you can at least see the humor in it, even if it is not of your taste?

yeah nah

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

Reminder that superannuation is a bad thing which ties the working class to the current exploitative capitalist system. Also Paul Keating is a terrible person.

No it isn't.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

jimmy fallon is a bit like ricky gervais is a bit like sex

no laughing matter and i just dont get it

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

no i was referring more to how jimmy fallon is 9 times out of 10 the only one laughing at his jokes, but even then he just cant stop laughing as though if his sphincter loosened for even a split second a half kilo of buttons and loose change would fall out of his arsehole

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Look, I don't think we can address the trivial matter of children being systematically tortured until we first address the far more important issue of some people saying mean words to me on the internet :shrug:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
it's the scandal of a life time and we should all feel ashamed

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

70+ posts in the last hour? What the hell happened

oh just graic whoever doing his thing

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pudding Space posted:

I'm sure that people in a position to move to the leafy suburb of Norwood must feel the existential horror of the poor and disenfranchised every day. Let's hope you never have to deal with soccer mums from the Pembroke school roughing you up for your lunch money.

If "by position to move to" you mean "living close to town in a Norwood share house will work out cheaper than my current place is Salisbury" then yeah.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Matthew Beet posted:

Nah I'm around. I just can't reach my mod panel from where I'm laying on the couch.

Did someone leave it on the top shelf of the bookshelf again? Have you lost your little step up stool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Beet, my wife works for an organisation that provides lifestyle assistance and advice to the elderly, I think something like this might be appropriate for your unique situation

http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Helping-Long-Reach-Pick-Up-Gripper/dp/B0002VUQPG

• Locked thread