Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

What, really? I bought a bunch of warmaster lead by the pound a long time ago and never tried it.

If that's really how it plays, I'm stoked to find where it is.

Assuming you want to get rid of it and Moths isn't interested in everything, I'd love to talk to you about taking some of it off of your hands...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

berzerkmonkey posted:

Assuming you want to get rid of it and Moths isn't interested in everything, I'd love to talk to you about taking some of it off of your hands...

I'll keep it in mind, but it fits in a nice heavy little box which makes it last in line to die of all my unassembled/unpainted boondoggles. Plus I fantasize about painting some up and writing those fantasy army rules for Conquest of the Empire, finally.

Also, between being asked about warmaster here and having a discussion about what the term 'dragoon' meant historically in the Infinity thread, I no longer have any idea where or what I'm posting about. Or with whom.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Aaaand I just threw caution to the wind, and got a Warlord Games plastic T34/76 to go along with my Red Army troops. I found a NIB one on eBay for about $6 less than retail, and it'll be the first vehicle I've assembled since 2008 (which was a CSM Rhino), and the first historical tank I've assembled ever (even as a kid I always gravitated towards sci-fi model kits). :smithicide:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Flames of War State of the Union:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4814

If I get shipping to my current residence figured out, this year will be a bad year for my pocket book.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Between that and the Digital kerfluffle I get the feeling Battlefront blew more money on DUST than they're letting on.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Whatever cashflow problems they had before, I doubt they'll have many after this year. Hoo boy, I don't think there's much on that release schedule I'm going to pass up.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

YF19pilot posted:

If I get shipping to my current residence figured out, this year will be a bad year for my pocket book.

If I still had someone to play FoW against, I'd be really excited about the Berlin book. CWGH could be neat, though.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Between that and the Digital kerfluffle I get the feeling Battlefront blew more money on DUST than they're letting on.

Between what?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The accelerated schedule. They have trouble enough keeping up with demand as it is.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Colonial Air Force posted:

If I still had someone to play FoW against, I'd be really excited about the Berlin book. CWGH could be neat, though.

That's probably the only hang up I have. In my current city of residence, I don't know anybody who plays FoW. And if I did know where they played, I might still be in a rut with the language barrier, so there's that. I'm still tempted to pick up some models to put together and paint up in my spare time for that half of the hobby, but I'd still love to be able to play a game.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

YF19pilot posted:

Is it just me or are the changes to Open Fire things that already happened when it came out first?

Fulda Gap though...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

Is it just me or are the changes to Open Fire things that already happened when it came out first?

Fulda Gap though...

My guess is they updated the plastics in Open Fire from the lovely molds they had for the Shermans to the new plastic Shermans that just came out recently. I'll see if I can dredge it up on their store and confirm/deny as they claim the details are posted on it's sale page.

Youtube video on the front page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYBcj7AT94Y

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 6, 2015

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
ARRGGH Plastic Soviet infantry after I went and bought metals ones???

This Fuda Gap stuff though.... My group has been debating doing FoaN in 6mm and this might send us over the edge.

I'll want to collect a West German and East German force for hot German on German action!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I totally want to do Leopard Is vs T-34/85Ms.

Again.

In another scale.

:smithicide:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So I just finished typing up a solo game of Field of Glory : Napoleonic I played a while back, and I thought I'd share it here.

Part 1 - Army Selection.
Part 2 - Battlefield Generation.
Part 3 - Deployment.
Part 4 - The battle begins.
Part 5 - The chaos of battle.

Its a little wordy, as I was thinking things through, and if you are only interested in the battle, skip to part 4. that's where the glory shots of my 6mm army begin.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 7, 2015

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

So I just finished typing up a solo game of Field of Glory : Napoleonic I played a while back, and I thought I'd share it here.

Part 1 - Army Selection.
Part 2 - Battlefield Generation.
Part 3 - Deployment.
Part 4 - The battle begins.
Part 5 - The chaos of battle.

Its a little wordy, as I was thinking things through, and if you are only interested in the battle, skip to part 4. that's where the glory shots of my 6mm army begin.

Strange, it's locking me out.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Stupid "share" button - should work now.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Grey Hunter posted:

Stupid "share" button - should work now.

Nope, still not working.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Nope, still not working.

Are you clicking my links above, or the ones in Throbbing blob's post?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Grey Hunter posted:

Are you clicking my links above, or the ones in Throbbing blob's post?

Yeah your links work.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I've got together a group of friends (7) looking to get into Flames of War and are looking to buy 1500pt lists outright, we've all chosen roughly what we want but I'm finding it difficult sourcing all the models from the same spot.

PSC does some stuff really cheap but has a lot of holes in their range, even stuff like M10s. The Battlefront stuff is great but really quite expensive compared to competitors, is there a decent third party place that sells them at a bit off RRP but has enough of a range that we can drop a thousand bucks or whatever and get most of what we need?

Some units, like those M10s, come with a weird mix of spotting jeeps and stuff as well, which is a bit more of a pain.

I suppose I should really make a list of all the Battlefront stuff and just talk to some company directly like the WarStore, for an order this size I'd be happy to wait and I imagine they could probably cut me a decent deal.

Any suggestions? I live in Australia, it's wacky that Battlefront is a company founded in our far eastern seventh state but stuff is still more expensive to ship here than the US or UK (I guess it isn't manufactured there?).

edit: Also, is there anywhere in the world that still has Open Fire! in stock?

Karandras fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 8, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Karandras posted:

Any suggestions? I live in Australia, it's wacky that Battlefront is a company founded in our far eastern seventh state but stuff is still more expensive to ship here than the US or UK (I guess it isn't manufactured there?).

Their storehouses are in the UK and US, I believe. They closed their NZ storehouse a while back.

The M10s come with the jeeps and things because that's how the US uses them. The jeeps deploy, scout up a position, then the M10s, (or M18s, M36s) come on the board (this is the "TD teleporting" that you'll sometimes hear about). If you just want the TDs and no scouts (UK, France, Poland), it is cheaper to just buy the individual blisters. Otherwise, depending on you armies, get the Open Fire! set. It'll cover a good 500~750 points right off the bat for really cheap. Try to use plastics, whether PSC, Zvedva, or Battlefront, as they're always cheaper. Don't be afraid to proxy. If your list says to run a platoon of M4 Sherman Is, and it'll save you some dough to buy a set of M4A4 Sherman Vs; get the Sherman Vs. It's only like the Late War American stuff where it starts mattering whether you're running M4s/M4A1s or M4A3s or M4A3E2s or M4A3E8s; and even then people are still pretty lenient about it.

Edit:

Didn't see your edit. There's an updated Open Fire! coming out later this month. Wait for that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

YF19pilot posted:

It's only like the Late War American stuff where it starts mattering whether you're running M4s/M4A1s or M4A3s or M4A3E2s or M4A3E8s; and even then people are still pretty lenient about it.

Let's also be honest, the American player is also the only one who's going to be able to tell the difference between different versions anyway. Especially at 15mm where the difference between something like an M4 and an early M4A3 is miniscule. If you need Shermans, get some, throw them on the table, and call them whatever you need them to be. 9 times out of ten they'll believe you, and the other one is gonna be fine with proxying anyway.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Karandras posted:

Any suggestions?

Forged in Battle are an option, but they're all resin and metal so not that much of an option if you only want plastic. I have some on the way.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Let's also be honest, the American player is also the only one who's going to be able to tell the difference between different versions anyway. Especially at 15mm where the difference between something like an M4 and an early M4A3 is miniscule. If you need Shermans, get some, throw them on the table, and call them whatever you need them to be. 9 times out of ten they'll believe you, and the other one is gonna be fine with proxying anyway.

Pretty much. And it's only for the Americans that it matters, because of Detroit's Finest and the extra armor. E8s and Jumbos are distinguishable by themselves. Brits only have to worry about regular Sherman and Firefly. French only use M4/M4A1s, so it doesn't matter for them either.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Generally I'd say to order from somewhere that carries a wide selection of miniatures for your initial order and then patch things up with a few specialty orders from BF/eBay/etc. Warweb does Old Glory, QC and True North for instance. I like all those manufacturers, but I realize many people do not. The important part really is making sure your infantry and crews are all from the same manufacturer, after that where you get stuff isn't as important.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Neat. I'm playing Free French so I've just got a 'standard' Sherman, which they say either an M4A4 or M4A4, and then one per platoon is an M4A3 which seems amazingly good, with the Detroit's Finest rule (kinda useless when it's in a platoon with slower tanks) an extra point of front armour and a better gun than the M10 TDs.

I figure I can grab two packs of 5 M4A2 Sherman and one of 5 M4A3 (Late) Sherman, from that I can make most of a French list.

Looking at the M10s, the teleporting stealth tank rules seem pretty amazing and AT12 seems pretty good if it'll be mostly hitting side armour?

What's in the updated Open Fire box? It seems like a great source of stuff if you can split it and if I can just get a couple of those I'm sure the Axis players can use the inf and StuGs.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Karandras posted:

Neat. I'm playing Free French so I've just got a 'standard' Sherman, which they say either an M4A4 or M4A4, and then one per platoon is an M4A3 which seems amazingly good, with the Detroit's Finest rule (kinda useless when it's in a platoon with slower tanks) an extra point of front armour and a better gun than the M10 TDs.

I figure I can grab two packs of 5 M4A2 Sherman and one of 5 M4A3 (Late) Sherman, from that I can make most of a French list.

Looking at the M10s, the teleporting stealth tank rules seem pretty amazing and AT12 seems pretty good if it'll be mostly hitting side armour?

What's in the updated Open Fire box? It seems like a great source of stuff if you can split it and if I can just get a couple of those I'm sure the Axis players can use the inf and StuGs.

Double check, that's probably an M4A3(76mm), in which case try to grab a box of the 76mm Shermans. I don't think you get the US TD "Search, Strike, Destroy" rule (the teleporting rule) if you run French, unless you're allowed to take a US TD platoon with it. I don't have my books with me, so kinda hard to remember, but I do know that French M10s don't teleport. But, you can get 6 in a platoon. Also, which book is this out of?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

Double check, that's probably an M4A3(76mm), in which case try to grab a box of the 76mm Shermans. I don't think you get the US TD "Search, Strike, Destroy" rule (the teleporting rule) if you run French, unless you're allowed to take a US TD platoon with it. I don't have my books with me, so kinda hard to remember, but I do know that French M10s don't teleport. But, you can get 6 in a platoon. Also, which book is this out of?

Just looked it up, they do get the US TD rules.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

YF19pilot posted:

Double check, that's probably an M4A3(76mm), in which case try to grab a box of the 76mm Shermans....but I do know that French M10s don't teleport. But, you can get 6 in a platoon. Also, which book is this out of?

It's a pdf on their website: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=827

Yep, they're M4A3 76mm, the box gives you 75mm, 76mm and 105mm all as options.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Karandras posted:

It's a pdf on their website: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=827

Yep, they're M4A3 76mm, the box gives you 75mm, 76mm and 105mm all as options.

Okay, cool. I don't think I've run an army off that pdf, though I have it printed out back home. I was thinking of the French forces in Italy, which get the platoon of six M10s, but not the US Tank Destroyer Doctrine.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So I got a game of Bolt Action in at a con today. It works okay I guess? Taking out tanks seems to be obscenely difficult though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

So I got a game of Bolt Action in at a con today. It works okay I guess? Taking out tanks seems to be obscenely difficult though.

Were you playing with tanks expansion?

The basic ruleset doesn't seem like it'd be fun with a lot of armor.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Colonial Air Force posted:

Were you playing with tanks expansion?

The basic ruleset doesn't seem like it'd be fun with a lot of armor.
A demo game of 600 points using the basic rules. I had two 9-man Commando squads with bren and 1 SMG, officer and NCO, medic, PIAT and Bren carrier to his two 10 man Grenadier squads with MG42 and 1 SMG, officer and NCO, Panzer III J and Sd.Kfz 222. I guess it's a testament to the rule system that I was able to push him off an objective and hold it myself by being cleverer than he is (this is an established fact, I know the guy well. EVERYONE is cleverer than he is) but it was a bit irritating to see just how gimped the PIAT was against the armour. Probably more effective than it was IRL, and probably more to do with his choice of forces for a suitable demo game than it was the fault of the game.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I built 3 500-pt lists, and because one is British Airborne, I specifically didn't give any armor to anyone. The Heer list has a half-track, because I figure a PIAT would be okay against that, but nothing more.

The PIAT was kind of a piece of poo poo in real life, as you noted, so it's not a huge surprise.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This guy kills games. If he likes them, the company usually folds. Did you like WAB? You can thank him for killing GW Historicals.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Karandras posted:

Awesome, you will have to let me know how well they work for you. I am making up an army of them myself. Gonna go with the armored infantry company with some Hotchkiss light tanks for support for no reason other than it is cool to have them.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

A demo game w/ Panzer III J

Seemed like a dick move to take the heaviest armored Panzer to a demo game as well. He at least could of rewarded you for getting around to his rear armor with a PIAT. Glad you won.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of 2nd French armored, does anyone know where I can find decals for the Leclerc symbol(the blue square with leclerc at the top, and France in the center with a cross in it) as well as some tiny decals of the French flag? I figure that I can get the tank names and numbers for decalling my Shermans from the EW French transfer sheet, but these other decals are giving me issue.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Springfield Fatts posted:

Seemed like a dick move to take the heaviest armored Panzer to a demo game as well. He at least could of rewarded you for getting around to his rear armor with a PIAT. Glad you won.
If he'd taken one with a decent HE shell I'd have worried more, but the way things played out in the scenario it wasn't really relevant. I didn't get behind it in the end, I just took a look at the maths for actually damaging it after taking a point-blank shot at the front. Apparently the shaped charge meant that I'd almost have been better off staying way back :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I ended up free-hand painting my own markings, it wasn't easy.

For the tank names, though, I printed up a bunch of French names in white (on black background) onto thin paper. Then I cut them out, glued them to the tank, and painted the black area to match the hull.

I probably should have done the same for the symbols, it would have saved me a ton of work.