Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Geostomp posted:

Getting caught up in conflicts bigger than him/herself by being at the wrong place at the wrong time is the Hawke life experience.

He just walks into the Warden's stronghold, sees a 30 meter tall pillar of flesh made out of what was at one point in time the Grey Wardens, sighs quietly to himself and walks back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I started another playthrough with insta-loot + infinite inventory mods and wow, it makes the game go by so much faster. Also, I'd recommend the mod that zooms the camera in closer for non-cutscene dialogue. Makes conversations a bit more personal without intruding into Oblivion-levels of faces engulfing the screen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Reveilled posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world, Solas.

Solas.txt:

Cassandra: Solas, if you do not mind me asking, what do you believe in?

Solas: Cause and effect. Wisdom as its own reward, and the inherent right of all free willed people to exist.

Cassandra: That is not what I meant.

Solas: I know. I believe the elven gods existed, as did the old gods of Tevinter. But I do not think any of them were gods, unless you expand the definition of the word to the point of absurdity. I appreciate the idea of your Maker, a god that does not need to prove his power. I wish more such gods felt the same.

Cassandra: You have seen much sadness in your journeys, Solas. Following the Maker might offer some hope.

Solas: I have people, Seeker. The greatest triumphs and tragedies this world has known can all be traced to people.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm a little miffed, maybe I"m wrong but ya'll could help me.

So, I'm in Skyhold and I've not even found a lot of the people supposedly in the game. Am I screwed? I just opened Skyhold and have the people the game started with, plus Dorian. Did I royally screw up and miss a ton of content?

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Sera, Blackwall, Bull, and Vivienne are all obtained through side-quests that you should be able to do whenever you want, so no. I'm not sure how you haven't gotten Cole, though?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jastiger posted:

So, I'm in Skyhold and I've not even found a lot of the people supposedly in the game. Am I screwed? I just opened Skyhold and have the people the game started with, plus Dorian. Did I royally screw up and miss a ton of content?

I think the only person who is time limited is Blackwall, who you have to recruit before visiting Adamant Fortress for Here Lies the Abyss. Here's how you get each one:
Vivienne: There's a dude in Val Royeaux in the market when you first go to speak with the clerics, who invites you to a party, where she asks to sign up. One of your companions comments on the guy really wanting your attention.
Sera: Also in Val Royeaux in the Market, an arrow is shot at you with a note attached. Again, one of your companions comments that someone just shot a loving arrow at your feet
Blackwall: Leiliana tells you to go to the lake in the Hinterlands when you get back from meeting the clerics to meet with a Warden who might know why the rest have all vanished. Just go to the lake and get him.
Iron Bull: Krem is standing outside the chantry in Haven just after you leave it for the first time after meeting with the clerics, invites you to the storm coast to see the Bull's chargers in action. Go to the storm coast, Iron Bull is on the beach next to your camp.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Lotish posted:

Awkward Zombie started playing DA:I and is doing that thing that all of us who played the first games did.

The game would be 50% better if it just automatically gave you a loot window of all drops at the end of combat, upgrades didn't take inventory space (although party storage indirectly solves that), white quality didn't exist and sell all valuables not nuking research/crafting/requisition items.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Finally picked up the game and am enjoying it so far. I read "open world" and I take that to mean explore every single nook and cranny possible. At least thats what I am doing.
Definitely a step up over the last Dragon Age which I hated and couldn't even be bothered to finish. Which was incredibly heartbreaking for me as Dragon Age Origin I beat with every prestige class you could, and ending, because I am "that" sorta gamer.

Only real complaint, starting out at least my wife mentioned it too, is when you start out you can't LOOK at what abilities do until you actually level. You just kinda stare at abilities and use them hoping they are helpful. Couldn't find a way to figure out which abilities everyone has until I lvl'd. Just odd I guess.
Oh wish there were more voice options :/

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Jastiger posted:

Re:Cole- you have to find him on the stairs in Skyhold before recruiting him- then you can reject him or let him join.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I finally finished this beast, and wow you guys were not kidding about an anticlimax.

I expected the run-up to defeating Corpyheus to be a desperate pitched battle similar to evacuating Haven, but nope, you say "let's get him guys" and then you're just standing there in front of him. It was like an entire section had been excised or something. The combat was also piss-easy, but at that point I was rolling in Legion of the Dead armor and every swing of my dual-bladed daggers was giving me Guard, triggering Hidden Blades, or both, so that was pretty much what I expected. I'm gonna have to bump my next playthrough up to Nightmare and play a warrior or something.

Having said that, I did enjoy that they brought back the 'walk through your victory celebration talking to your party members' bit from DAO. Cassandra became Divine despite my throwing support behind Leliana and Cassandra disapproving of nearly every big decision I made. Vivienne didn't even come up, possibly because I juuust finished her personal quest before the endgame. It must've been too late, as the only conversation I had with her was about how she thought Cassandra would be the best choice. Sucks losing my main tank if any good DLC comes out though :(

And having seen it through to the end, Blackwall's romance is...whatever, I guess. I didn't hate it, and it certainly gave his personal quest a lot more weight, but in the end it seems very generic. The others seem to have the potential to be totally bittersweet or have some nuance (especially Solas, because drat), but it's hard to care about his character being a murderer when my character's body count was nearing a hundred before I even left the Hinterlands. Even worse, I was playing a dwarf who was very unapologetically a carta thug.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 9, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Carecat posted:

The game would be 50% better if it just automatically gave you a loot window of all drops at the end of combat, upgrades didn't take inventory space (although party storage indirectly solves that), white quality didn't exist and sell all valuables not nuking research/crafting/requisition items.

I wish the game showed you automatically whether the magic stick you were picking up was better or worse the the fancy stick on your back. Borderlands did this with their guns and it was one of the few things they did right with their loot systems.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Reveilled posted:

I think the only person who is time limited is Blackwall, who you have to recruit before visiting Adamant Fortress for Here Lies the Abyss. Here's how you get each one:
Vivienne: There's a dude in Val Royeaux in the market when you first go to speak with the clerics, who invites you to a party, where she asks to sign up. One of your companions comments on the guy really wanting your attention.
Sera: Also in Val Royeaux in the Market, an arrow is shot at you with a note attached. Again, one of your companions comments that someone just shot a loving arrow at your feet
Blackwall: Leiliana tells you to go to the lake in the Hinterlands when you get back from meeting the clerics to meet with a Warden who might know why the rest have all vanished. Just go to the lake and get him.
Iron Bull: Krem is standing outside the chantry in Haven just after you leave it for the first time after meeting with the clerics, invites you to the storm coast to see the Bull's chargers in action. Go to the storm coast, Iron Bull is on the beach next to your camp.

I can do this at ANY time? I remember the quest from the clerics in Val Royeaux and I must have gotten that mixed up with Sera, because I have her. I really wanted to get Vivienne, she seemed bad rear end.

Blackwall I think is still a quest on my marker.

Iron bull...I've already cleared everythign on the storm coast and I saw no such quest. Since I'm out of Haven and into Skyhall, am I screwed on this? I have literally just "found" skyhall and haven't left it yet to do any quests.....do I need to reload a previous save to get the rest of the party?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, before Bull shows up you need to meet his contact outside the church in Haven. If you never talked to him, Bull doesn't spawn on the Coast. I don't know if he will show up in Skyhold if you didn't meet him in Haven.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I believe Vivienne also has a time limit; I think if you don't recruit her before closing the Breach she's gone (which makes sense, since that's when the mage-templar conflict effectively ends).

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Reveilled posted:

I can't shake the idea of a Lucasarts-style meta joke where the Hero communicates with you either by writing responses on paper implausibly quickly, or by an actual Origins dialogue tree popping up and you have the entire conversation with yourself. Inquisition's too serious for that of course.
I figure they'll voice the Hero of Ferelden once they've turned into some kinda hyper-darkspawn, and have a cool spooky voice instead of the one they 'used' to have.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ApplesandOranges posted:

I believe Vivienne also has a time limit; I think if you don't recruit her before closing the Breach she's gone (which makes sense, since that's when the mage-templar conflict effectively ends).

Boooooo and HIss. I dunno if I want to go back and play that mission again. It may be worth it just to get those extra party members since I'm missing out on a TON of content at this point. Thanks guys.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
So, someone on Tumblr wondered what Blackwall looks like without his beard.

Yeah...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Solas: I know. I believe the elven gods existed, as did the old gods of Tevinter. But I do not think any of them were gods, unless you expand the definition of the word to the point of absurdity. I appreciate the idea of your Maker, a god that does not need to prove his power. I wish more such gods felt the same.

This line will never not be funny.

One of my big regrets from DA:I was that, due to the PC's ignorance of his true nature, you never got the chance to give Solas the verbal smack-down he so richly deserves. Here's hoping for the DLC/Sequel.

Wyld Karde posted:

So, someone on Tumblr wondered what Blackwall looks like without his beard.

Yeah...

It's beards all the way down.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Skippy McPants posted:

This line will never not be funny.

One of my big regrets from DA:I was that, due to the PC's ignorance of his true nature, you never got the chance to give Solas the verbal smack-down he so richly deserves. Here's hoping for the DLC/Sequel.

After all that went down in the endgame of Inquisition, can there be any doubt that we will see Solas again? Probably as one of the main figures in the next full DA game?

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Skippy McPants posted:

He really did steal all the beards....

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Torrannor posted:

After all that went down in the endgame of Inquisition, can there be any doubt that we will see Solas again? Probably as one of the main figures in the next full DA game?

Oh, I have zero doubt. In fact I'd bet cash monies that he ends up some kind of boss fight. I just hope we get the chance to verbally beat him senseless, before literally beating him senseless. His selfish, myopic meddling is the embodiment of everything he purports to despise and I want to make him face that hypocrisy head on.

He's actually one of Bioware's most effective villains, since he's maybe the first one that I don't just want to defeat, but that I also want to make suffer before the end.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I still really like Solas and I'm still not sure at what point he went from Cool Dude to Inspires Frothing Goon Rage but there was definitely a switch in this thread

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cometa Rossa posted:

I still really like Solas and I'm still not sure at what point he went from Cool Dude to Inspires Frothing Goon Rage but there was definitely a switch in this thread

I've always been pretty consistent in my dislike of him. I don't think he's a bad character mind you; he's quite well written. It's just that he's written as a sanctimonious, bigoted, jerk-rear end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cometa Rossa posted:

Solas and Sera seem to be the two biggest love-em-or-hate-em characters in this game. I really like Solas and think he's a tragic good guy. I suspect that if he ends up a boss fight, it will be as he said: normal people are the cause of the world's greatest triumphs and tragedies alike.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Solas is an alright guy in my book, he's just kinda a tool who's pretty easy to make fun of. I can't really quantify what it is about Sera, but she bugs me a lot more than she should.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Solas and Sera seem to be the two biggest love-em-or-hate-em characters in this game. I really like Solas and think he's a tragic good guy. I suspect that if he ends up a boss fight, it will be as he said: normal people are the cause of the world's greatest triumphs and tragedies alike.

I'd buy the tragic good guy angle if he actually learned from any of his mistakes. Instead, even after multiple royal screw ups, he still felt like it was a swell idea to give a super powerful magical artifact to an evil wizard with delusions of godhood, and he didn't do it out of any starry eyed naivety. He knew what Corypheus was, and thought the ends would justify the means, but you don't get to hand the Ring to Sauron for the sake of personal gain and call yourself a good guy afterward. And even after, when that huge boondoggle has blown up in his face, he goes and kills another kinda god to steal her power, so he can get on with doing the 'right thing'. At the very best he's a tragic idiot.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 9, 2015

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd buy the tragic good guy angle if he actually learned from any of his mistakes. Instead, even after multiple royal screw ups, he still felt like it was a swell idea to give a super powerful magical artifact to an evil wizard with delusions of godhood, and he didn't do it out of any starry eyed naivety. He knew what Corypheus was, and thought the ends would justify the means, but you don't get to hand the Ring to Sauron for the sake of personal gain and call yourself a good guy afterward. And even after that huge boondoggle blows up in his face he goes and kills another kinda god to steal her power, so he can get on with doing the 'right thing'. At the very best he's a tragic idiot.

I never got the idea that he didn't regret it? I mean the credits scene was him lamenting all of his gently caress-ups. His regret never popped up, because uhhh he couldn't really discuss this with others 'Why yes, I am Elven Satan!"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I never got the idea that he didn't regret it? I mean the credits scene was him lamenting all of his gently caress-ups. His regret never popped up, because uhhh he couldn't really discuss this with others 'Why yes, I am Elven Satan!"

But the point is it doesn't matter if he regrets it, because he keeps on doing it. The remorse of a murderer means nothing when he won't stop killing people. Solas is riddled with regret, but he's too arrogant to understand or accept that every one of his regrets is the result of his own hubris. So he just keeps solidly soldiering on, utterly convinced that this time, surely, his machinations will result in something other than complete catastrophe.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Theory: perhaps he doesn't actually remember everything properly until after his encounter with Flemeth.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shockeh posted:

Theory: perhaps he doesn't actually remember everything properly until after his encounter with Flemeth.

He tells you about the nature and origin of the Orb after the destruction of Haven, and when it designates after the final fight he's wicked sad about it. It's also alluded to in any number of conversations, especially his banters with Cole, that he's completely cognizant of who and what he is. Remembering all that, but forgetting that he's the one who gave the Orb to Corypheus in the first place would be some extremely convenient selective memory.

And even if he did somehow forget that one thing it wouldn't absolve him of anything, since his conversation with Flemeth makes it clear that his collusion with Corypheus was voluntary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I can't be the only one getting the feeling that Solas is basically a Bioware protagonist only now we're the NPCs looking in as far as his characterization and backstory go.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So did they ever fix the whole crashes in every other conversation thing?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I can't be the only one getting the feeling that Solas is basically a Bioware protagonist only now we're the NPCs looking in as far as his characterization and backstory go.

That's a fun take on it. The operative difference being that he's a failed protagonist. All his gambits and all his renegade interrupts fumbled, but because he's a god (I.E. video game protagonist) there's no fail state, and he just keeps lurching on toward the conclusion of his story, no matter how many times he fucks everything up.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

And even after, when that huge boondoggle has blown up in his face, he goes and kills another kinda god to steal her power, so he can get on with doing the 'right thing'. At the very best he's a tragic idiot.

Does he kill Flemeth, though? My interpretation of the scene was that it was Flemeth inhabiting his body like she was supposed to do to Morrigan.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Skippy McPants posted:

He tells you about the nature and origin of the Orb after the destruction of Haven, and when it designates after the final fight he's wicked sad about it. It's also alluded to in any number of conversations, especially his banters with Cole, that he's completely cognizant of who and what he is. Remembering all that, but forgetting that he's the one who gave the Orb to Corypheus in the first place would be some extremely convenient selective memory.

And even if he did somehow forget that one thing it wouldn't absolve him of anything, since his conversation with Flemeth makes it clear that his collusion with Corypheus was voluntary.

I was kind of picturing it in the vein of Fenris from Mike Carey's Lucifer - He knows who Solas is, and Solas knows about Fen'Harel, and maybe even believes he's aiding Fen'Harel, but doesn't really know that "Solas" IS Fen'Harel.

He's still a bad guy, effectively, just the "Solas" persona doesn't know how much.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Thingyman posted:

Does he kill Flemeth, though? My interpretation of the scene was that it was Flemeth inhabiting his body like she was supposed to do to Morrigan.

There's a post from one of the writers out there somewhere which more or less states that he killed her. She might still exist in some capacity, but it's been made explicitly clear that Solas was the one making the power grab there.

Shockeh posted:

I was kind of picturing it in the vein of Fenris from Mike Carey's Lucifer - He knows who Solas is, and Solas knows about Fen'Harel, and maybe even believes he's aiding Fen'Harel, but doesn't really know that "Solas" IS Fen'Harel.

He's still a bad guy, effectively, just the "Solas" persona doesn't know how much.

Nah, there's more than enough in the game to debunk that. Solas knows he's Fen'Harel, no question.

Example; Cole and Solas chatting about what Fen'Harel did to the other elven gods.

Cole: You don't need to envy me, Solas. You can find happiness in your own way.
Solas: I apologize for disturbing you, Cole. I am not a spirit, and sometimes it is hard to remember such simple truths.
Cole: They are not gone so long as you remember them.
Solas: I know.
Cole: But you could let them go.
Solas: I know that as well.
Cole: You didn't do it to be right. You did it to save them.
Inquisitor: Solas, what is Cole talking about?
Solas: A mistake. One of many made by a much younger elf who was certain he knew everything.
Cole: You weren't wrong, though.
Solas: Thank you, Cole.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really like Solas and hope to be able to give him a big hug the next time I see him. He might have helped Corypheus but personally I assume he didn't know anything of his nature. I think he just thought him a kindred spirit, being freed from the mental slavery of the Blight, maligned by everyone, and being a wise wizard who travels beyond the veil.

Cole likes him and so shall I.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah all this SOlas chat and stuff makes me want to go back to a prior save and try to recruit VIvienne and Iron Bull. Its frustrating that there was no indication I wasn't going to be able to "go back" before closing the rift. If I have to go back before choosing Mage or Templar, I'm going to be SUPER pissed and may even start the game over. I don't mind missing content, but those were some pretty big non-obvious misses that slipped by.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Skippy McPants posted:

There's a post from one of the writers out there somewhere which more or less states that he killed her. She might still exist in some capacity, but it's been made explicitly clear that Solas was the one making the power grab there.

No, that quote is unequivocal that Flemeth consented.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fangz posted:

No, that quote is unequivocal that Flemeth consented.

Which isn't mutually exclusive with what Skippy said.

• Locked thread