Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Ok so the answer is no, you do not realize how condescending it sounds, glad to clear that up.

You're the same guy who claimed Dominion feels like a half-developed tech demo, and then when people prompted you for reasons to support that statement, all you could do was say "well that's how it feels."

Once again, nobody cares if you don't like Dominion. That's fine, play something else, have a grand old time. If you're going to put up paper-thin arguments or nonsensical claims to support your personal dislike of a game, you best believe someone is going to call you out, especially if it's a popular game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Well this is getting awkward...
Anyone wanna play some Munchkin?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

topiKal posted:

Well this is getting awkward...
Anyone wanna play some Munchkin?

Munchkin is like a box of chocolates if someone took all the chocolates out and poo poo in the box.

But ok.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I'm kind of in awe how anyone can squeeze debate from Dominion anymore. It's going on seven years of discussion, and frankly there's nothing new being said about it here :(

Echophonic posted:

Anyway, I'm planning on getting Argent to the table this week. Any tips for first time players or teaching it?

Make sure your table can fit the drat game.

Crackbone is write that looking at a rewritten rulebook/faq stuff helps a ton. You should during teaching just flat out say that if you catch a mechanic with vague or little clarification; get ready to agree on a quick house-rule and find out the answer for a new session.
It might be good to just print out this errata/faq post on BGG.

Also try to enforce or state that the game can cause AP and do what you can to mitigate it from a player end?

Basic FAQ things that are worth pointing out:
While Shadow mages have to normally be placed next to normal mages, effects that move the normal mages don't null the Shadow Mages actions.
Infirmary is cleared out after Resolution, spells that just move mages in any room can target mages in an infirmary.
Taking a Bell Tower card doesn't knock you out of the round, but you when you take a Bell Tower card cannot gain any extra actions from special effects that you normally would after other Main Actions. You can take a Bell Tower card even if you've taken one before.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Board Game Thread 4e: Dominioning the Dominion out of Dominioning Dominion!

I watched Rahdo's Alchemist run through. It looks like an awesome game. Why isn't everyone cutting a hole into the box and loving it?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Kai Tave posted:

Man, I loving suck at Dominion and that's no lie. Like, I can do pretty well using the basic set starter board because once you figure out the tricks to that it's pretty simple stuff, but I've been playing the Dominion Online thing against the AI and basically as soon as the board gets a little more complicated the bots just stomp my poo poo in so badly its embarrassing. I know it lets you do things like spend "Zaps" to boost your starting hand or devalue the AI's hand but screw that noise.

If it's just the 3-player and 4-player boards, don't feel bad about it. In the campaign, the AI collaborates, making it way harder than it would be otherwise. The worst example I've seen so far is a 3-player game with a AI that tries to win and support AI that starts with 5-SeaHag/3-FishingVillage that ensures that you will have half the curses by turn 10.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Being last player in a 4-man Workshop/Gardens rush sucks pretty bad too.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any tips on learning/teaching Dungeon Petz so that it plays smoother the first time?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any tips on learning/teaching Dungeon Petz so that it plays smoother the first time?
The way I usually do it is to explain the pets and everything about them first, and only after I explained them actually go through the turn sequence/actions that you can take. Unfortunately it is difficult to teach Dungeon Petz because there is quite a lot of stuff you have to touch and a few minor rules that are easy to forget/miss.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Indolent Bastard posted:

Teach the Needs and scoring phases first, then teach the worker placement.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

The way I usually do it is to explain the pets and everything about them first, and only after I explained them actually go through the turn sequence/actions that you can take. Unfortunately it is difficult to teach Dungeon Petz because there is quite a lot of stuff you have to touch and a few minor rules that are easy to forget/miss.

Anything that stands out in your mind?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
For things like the cages and pet buying as well as the meat tent teach the theme to help retention.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

The last two exhibition (the fixed ones on the board), you can't use the whip artifact and if you get negative points on them, you lose points (this is to ensure that you don't just gain 15 poop or something in your cages or something and dgaf about clearing it away).

You can only sell one pet from the platform (the 3x scoring) per turn, even if there are two buyers available and you have two imps on the platform.

All imps (including imps in the hospital, imps on the platform and imps that haven't cleared imp-igration) count against you in the first of the two final expositions.

In the last turn (if you are just playing the base game, that is), the turn order marker goes to the player with the least number of VPs.

If you score 0 or lower on an exhibition, you don't gain any rewards at all (apart from the final two exhibitions as outlined above).

When a pet goes 'unbought' from the board, it goes to a magical retirement farm where it is perfectly happy, and coincidentally you add one meat to the meat tent

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Yeah pets are the important part, since what you aim for in the placement section directly relates to them, and it's how you earn your points, so going over needs, exhibition scoring and buyers. I taught it over the weekend that way. I think the only thing I didn't stress enough is using gold to bolster groups is usually better than just hanging onto it, since there is literally no other use for gold in the base game outside of the one coin you have to send to buy a pet.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Cages must be empty to clean out the poop unless you have the long handled shovel.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Dungeon Petz is like 7 Wonders in that I highly encourage people to just speed play through a game without thinking too hard in order to see the phases and how scoring works. It's a sucky game if people are intent on doing good their first game imo. I'm starting to feel this way about all games tbh but games that have late game scoring mechanics especially so

What do goons think of Eklund games like Pax Porfiriana and Greenland?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Indolent Bastard posted:

Specific cases:

Remember poop cards resolve before sickness cards, and how sickness works (When Poop + Sickness > 2 = 1 suffering cube for getting sick + 1 more extra sickness/poop greater than a value of 2.
Imps can't clean poop from a cage with a pet in it.
The extra meat rule.
Resolving the final scoring blocks as competitions/exhibitions, not just extra points all around (this tripped me up for my first couple of games, which probably caused some blowouts of scores.
You can move pets between cages, but you can't move cages/add-ons/poop elsewhere once they've been placed (except removing poop of course).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pax Porfiriana is pretty much Munchkin done right, in that by screwing over other players, you actually are also helping them to win and also making it harder for you to win. It's still a difficult game with confusing iconography and extremely front-loaded rules. High Frontier is also a very good game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Pax Porfiriana is pretty much Munchkin done right, in that by screwing over other players, you actually are also helping them to win and also making it harder for you to win. It's still a difficult game with confusing iconography and extremely front-loaded rules. High Frontier is also a very good game.

Does Pax have a computer implementation?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Does Pax have a computer implementation?
Not that I know of.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Tekopo posted:

In the last turn (if you are just playing the base game, that is), the turn order marker goes to the player with the least number of VPs.

:doh: I have not remembered this so far. Fortunately most of the plays I've had have just been 2 player, but that's something I'll have to keep in mind for next time.

Sloober posted:

I think the only thing I didn't stress enough is using gold to bolster groups is usually better than just hanging onto it, since there is literally no other use for gold in the base game outside of the one coin you have to send to buy a pet.

I think I need to restate this point to my girlfriend, who tends to hoard gold and consequently often has rather anemic shopping groups. I think the 1 gold = 1/2 point thing has gotten into her head a bit more than it should of.

Reminds me of Fresco, where every $2 you have at the end is worth 1 point. Getting money each turn is an action that you can't be beaten to, so it's always a pretty safe action to throw workers at. This means in my experience that going for money over paint can be a fairly powerful strategy. The mini-expansions alleviate this issue somewhat by adding higher-value tiles to paint or allowing you to swap out your salary tiles (which give you free money each turn without having to use a worker) for even more points.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Not a week after that stupid internet dress argument I open my copy of Ghost Blitz 2 (this game is fun as poo poo by the way) and spend half an hour trying to figure out why there are two green items before I figure out that the bathtub is supposed to be grey.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
One thing that has helped me with teaching Dungeon Petz is right off the bat explain how you score because for a beginner it might be a bit awkward to grasp.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

But there is a good point in here. Most groups I've been part of have Dominion but don't play Dominion. My experience is that they will get Dominion as a good introduction to boardgames and then either play it to death (leading to buying other games after they burn out) or get so much into the hobby that they start buying other stuff, and shiny and new games are always more attractive.

It's definitely some of both of these. With my group, we have at this point A LOT of games we all enjoy and what we play is largely dependant on how many people we have and what we haven't played in a while.

On the flip side, in the past two years that I've been playing with these people there have been multiple nights where we started playing dominion at midnight and kept playing til 8 am, going through the entire set of cards fully randomized and some reuse of cards that saw no play in the first layout they were part of.

Edit- Forgot I had two pages in two tabs. Whoopz

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I would agree that for Argent everyone should start with one of each mage. For one thing, it gets the players familiar with how they act. However, after playing six games with that start, my son has decided we are going back to drafting, as he thinks a more cohesive strategy can be supported that way.

We are still loving the game. I think one of the coolest things about it is that with the random mix, different things are important. Our Friday game, there was only one way to get IP, so that tile was hotly contested (I grabbed a lockout spell to help with the scarcity :). The game on Saturday was mana short, so spells weren't as popular, and supporters/vault cards were more in demand. It takes a few plays to recognize this though.

One houserule I am implementing for the game though is that any effect that uses 'all' will in fact mean all, including shadowed mages. I'll keep you guys posted on how that works out.

On the Dominion discussion, I think the only way Dominion is a starter is if your next game in your queue is Advanced Squad Leader, otherwise full Dominion is not a starter. Our group loves it, plays it, and still finds challenge in the game.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Thanks for all the tips on Argent! I'll go through that reorganized rulebook later today. I actually thought the existing rulebook was pretty clear, but I'm sure I missed something.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do goons think of Eklund games like Pax Porfiriana

Tekopo pretty much nailed Pax. It's a screw-your-neighbor card-tableau game with rules to keep balance issues in check. A slow-moving market row mitigates a lot of luck-gently caress. The deck triggers the end of game, so you don't have the game drag with a "can somebody please win already" end-game like Munchkin. That players win based on beating the players in last place mitigates a lot of "gang up on leader" poo poo. Biggest problem with Pax is that there's a lot of rules chrome, i.e. rules almost solely in place to reflect the game's theme (don't even get me started on chain railroads). If you can get past the convoluted small rules, the gist of the game is not too hard to grasp.

quote:

and Greenland?
Haven't gotten it to table, partly because it looks like it's going to be dice-fest random to a bad degree. Gameplay wise there's card-tableau stuff but all the cards act loosely as worker-placement actions. Except your workers are hunters and have to roll dice to succeed. At least the game gives you a probability of success chart at the back of the rulebook, but gently caress. Oh, there's also player elimination. gently caress. It's a shame because there seems to be a good bit of interesting mechanisms in play (especially sending out workers to hunt while trying to fight through an increasingly difficult selection of actions due to an impending ice age).

EDIT: Should be noted that Pax Pamir is coming out. It's a card game using Pax Porfiriana's system, but set in 19th-century Afghanistan. Players are tribal warlords trading with and manipulating various nations in the land where empires go to die. It'll be published by Eklund's publishing company, Sierra Madre games, at some point....

Trynant fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 9, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
After having the Game of Thrones 2nd edition gathering dust in my closet for way too long, I'm finally getting to play (albeit online) after making an account on Thronemaster last night.
I'm really blown away by how great this game is. Any of you guys playing there? The only thing I can think that would improve this would be playing with goons.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do goons think of Eklund games like Pax Porfiriana

I've played two games of Pax, one run by Tekopo in the forums, another in person. IIRC, the second game ended up with three people in a row having their hands forced in order to prevent some other guy from winning, and me playing literal kingmaker in the end. I don't know if this is common, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Pity because I liked the mechanics and the theme up to that point, and it didn't happen in the PbP, so maybe it doesn't happen often.

Manual is horribly, horribly written, BTW. There is a living rulebook in BGG that is much better.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Echophonic posted:

Thanks for all the tips on Argent! I'll go through that reorganized rulebook later today. I actually thought the existing rulebook was pretty clear, but I'm sure I missed something.

I thought it was clear as well, I had no issues with it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Not a week after that stupid internet dress argument I open my copy of Ghost Blitz 2 (this game is fun as poo poo by the way) and spend half an hour trying to figure out why there are two green items before I figure out that the bathtub is supposed to be grey.

I have heard that same complaint every time I have played 2.0 (which I don't have myself yet, but have given to friends). I don't really see it myself, but it's A Thing. Just remember that this is not the 50's, so bathtubs are not loving green. In my experience, gameplay doesn't suffer beyond a few initial mistakes. They should still release a 2.5 with a proper grey bathtub, or a white bathtub like reality and just have the ghost be black.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

When a pet goes 'unbought' from the board, it goes to a magical retirement farm where it is perfectly happy, and coincidentally you add one meat to the meat tent

this is the one fiddly rule no one at my table's ever forgotten because lmao

e: I like the advanced variant where the stareplant has you add a vegetable and the baby golem adds a gold instead (and the ghost adds nothing). no they're still on the farm you sick gently caress. why would you even think that

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The advanced version is even more explicit and grim; when the Baby Golem goes to the farm the meat stand gets a gold, and when StarePlant goes to the farm it gets a vegetable. Again, no reason.

Some people I've introduced to the game really don't like this rule btw, it's just a little too dark for them.

Edit: wow great minds think alike.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

this is the one fiddly rule no one at my table's ever forgotten because lmao

e: I like the advanced variant where the stareplant has you add a vegetable and the baby golem adds a gold instead (and the ghost adds nothing). no they're still on the farm you sick gently caress. why would you even think that

Um, it's just a rule.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The advanced version is even more explicit and grim; when the Baby Golem goes to the farm the meat stand gets a gold, and when StarePlant goes to the farm it gets a vegetable. Again, no reason.

Some people I've introduced to the game really don't like this rule btw, it's just a little too dark for them.

Edit: wow great minds think alike.

It is pretty grim in a cutesy art style game about raising pets. (Never mind that most of the pets are destined to be dungeon fodder)

But I do utilized the advanced variant as it is indeed a rule.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sloober posted:

Munchkin is like a box of chocolates if someone took all the chocolates out and poo poo in the box.

But ok.

So, that Cards Against Humanity expansion, then.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Village is 50% off the today with Prime shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Tasty-Minstrel-2001TTT-Village-Board/dp/1938146905

e: oh whoops forgot about the Deals thread. In any case I played Kemet and Red7 last night and they both rule

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 9, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

So, that Cards Against Humanity expansion, then.

Well to be fair they said you would get bullshit. Munchkin does not say "Box contains poo".

T-Bone posted:

Village is 50% off the today with Prime shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Tasty-Minstrel-2001TTT-Village-Board/dp/1938146905

e: oh whoops forgot about the Deals thread. In any case I played Kemet and Red7 last night and they both rule

Kemet is good. I'm a slow board game buyer (After a number of years I still own only a dozen games or so) and a lot of the talk in the thread got me to pick it up

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

T-Bone posted:

That's actually sorta tempting, thanks

e: It says 32% off, is there something I'm missing?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Countblanc posted:

That's actually sorta tempting, thanks

e: It says 32% off, is there something I'm missing?

wow, you literally missed it by like 30 seconds

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Tasty-Minstrel-2001TTT-Village-Board/product/1938146905?context=browse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Haha drat, oh well