Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Smithsonian Institution has banned selfie sticks. Another example of King Obama's imperial tyranny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dancer posted:

I forget was it Nixon that made a phone call to people the United States was actively at war with a few days before an election and sabotaged peace plans just so the president doesn't get credit for a peace deal and get re-elected? Because this poo poo is hosed up.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-03-09/republicans-warn-iran-and-obama-that-deal-won-t-last

Lol this is honestly beyond parody at this point

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

John Roberts was right, racism is dead! Unless you're going to University of Oklahoma today

quote:

A fraternity fraught with scandal quickly shut down a chapter in Oklahoma when a video surfaced that showed members singing a racist chant that used the n-word.

The video shows a group of young white students chanting the n-word loudly and boisterously while riding on a bus.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon's national chapter shut down the chapter Sunday night, suspended all of the chapter's members and threatened to remove those responsible from the fraternity for life.

In the video, the students are heard chanting, "There will never be a ni**** in SAE. You can hang him from a tree, but he can never sign with me."

"SAE" stands for Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. "Sign with" means join the fraternity.

"I was not only shocked and disappointed but disgusted by the outright display of racism displayed in the video," SAE National President Bradley Cohen said in a statement.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's what you can expect this week from the US legislature:

McConnell pulled the bill that would require Congressional approval of the Iran deal after all the Democrats backed out when he attempted to short-circuit the committee markup process. It's back in the FR committee where its sponsors, Corker and Menendez, are trying to build a veto-proof majority of support before bringing it to the floor. They're not far off. I've read they've got around ten Democrats on board, so they only need a few more.

There will be hearings this week on the AUMF to combat ISIS, though there's no sign that it will be voted on any time soon. The confirmation of Loretta Lynch also appears stalled and there are Republican Senators asking McConnell not to bring it to the floor. But don't think the Senate isn't getting anything done! There's a bill to spend $1.5b to establish a foundation that will fight against human trafficking, which will be voted on this week and is (unsurprisingly) expected to pass without issue.

The House is not in session this week.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Dancer posted:

I forget was it Nixon that made a phone call to people the United States was actively at war with a few days before an election and sabotaged peace plans just so the president doesn't get credit for a peace deal and get re-elected? Because this poo poo is hosed up.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-03-09/republicans-warn-iran-and-obama-that-deal-won-t-last

Hey guys, without consulting the President, let's invite the Prime Minister of Israel to give an unnecessary speech to Congress, for the sole purpose of derailing the Iranian nuclear talks; and if that doesn't work, we'll then loudly sulk over how the President isn't consulting us on the Iranian nuclear talks.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Between this and the Borat/USC fiasco you'd think racist students would learn to keep their bigoted mouths shut when a camera is pointed at them.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ahhh good to know the Sexual Assault Experts are also quite racist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jim DeMint is SAE.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

On Terra Firma posted:

If that's what it takes to open their eyes to the problem, then so be it. Storms and snowballs you can handwave away, but southern florida essentially becoming atlantis is entirely different.

The sadly appropriate song of the day: Sink, Florida, Sink by Against Me.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dancer posted:

Are these guys aware that they are dealing with a bunch dangerous, fanatical zealots who would happily watch America burn to the ground just because it dares to stand against their twisted ideology?

I mean seriously, someone should warn the Iranians that these Republican senators are crazy.

fakeedit: This is a stolen joke.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The Arkansas legislator who's in deep poo poo for "re-homing" his adoptive daughters to a child molester held a presser to place the blame on ... the government:

I'm reading the original Arkansas Times article on this thing and its pretty brutal.

quote:

The Harrises had adopted the girl and her 3-year-old sister through the Arkansas Department of Human Services (DHS). The couple also has three biological sons who are older than the girls. Pictures of the girls appeared on Justin Harris' social media accounts in early 2013 (the images have since been deleted)

quote:

The report further states that "It was later reported to the Department of Human Services that Mr. and Mrs. Harris had left the children with another family and had basically abandoned them.

quote:

The sexual abuse of the 6-year-old girl came to light only because of a call placed to the state's child maltreatment hotline on Friday, March 28, from an unidentified caller who said the Harrises "gave their adoptive children to a family" and "that family in turn gave the children to another family" and that they had "continued to accept adoption subsidy money even after giving the children away."

quote:

"The governor asked some of our legal folks to look at how that was legally possible in the state — or at least why there wasn't anything preventing it from happening. And everything we got back said there was not anything definitive in Arkansas Code prohibiting such an activity."

In February, the Arkansas Times asked Rep. Harris to comment on the case and explain what became of the girls he and his wife had adopted. He refused, and stated that the Times was attempting to "smear" him. "It's evil," he said, becoming visibly upset.

When asked whether he rehomed his adoptive children with another family, he replied, "I'm not confirming that." When asked about the statements made in the State Police report in the Francis case, Harris said he hadn't read the file because of the disturbing descriptions of sexual abuse that they contain.

Harris then quoted Isaiah 54:17: "No weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you."

"You don't know what we've been through this past year. You have no idea what my family has been through," he said emphatically. "I don't care what the people of Arkansas think about me. I don't care if I lose my position. I care what my wife thinks about me, and I care what my three sons think about me."

http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/a-child-left-unprotected/Content?oid=3691164

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
http://nyti.ms/1CTNUhE

Not content with mere foreign policy rebellion, Mitch McConnell has written a letter to his fellow GOP governors.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Shageletic posted:

quote:

"I don't care what the people of Arkansas think about me. I don't care if I lose my position. I care what my wife thinks about me, and I care what my three sons think about me."

But not, evidently, what your three ex-daughters think of you.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Quidam Viator posted:

http://nyti.ms/1CTNUhE

Not content with mere foreign policy rebellion, Mitch McConnell has written a letter to his fellow GOP governors.

Reminder: there are more jobs in the US solar industry than there are in the U.S. coal industry. Have been for a few years now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Reminder: there are more jobs in the US solar industry than there are in the U.S. coal industry. Have been for a few years now

This has more to do with natural gas being cleaner and cheaper than coal.

Coal is dead, tobacco is dead. That leaves Kentucky with horses and bourbon which will not support a state of 4million.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

hobbesmaster posted:

This has more to do with natural gas being cleaner and cheaper than coal.

Coal is dead, tobacco is dead. That leaves Kentucky with horses and bourbon which will not support a state of 4million.

I'm all for horsemeat and more craft bourbon distillers though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

more craft bourbon distillers though.

Thats Indiana

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rye isn't bourbon

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Why does anyone agree to be the President of a National Frat organization? It seems like you'd be in damage control mode from this kind of poo poo constantly.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Alright whiskey then. That's interesting, was curious how so many popped up in such a relatively short amount of time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This article is a couple of weeks old, but the hypcrosy, its just too strong
State governors tell cities to govern themselves, but not too much

quote:

Darren Hodges, a Tea Party Republican and councilman in the windy West Texas city of Fort Stockton, is a fierce defender of his town’s decision to ban plastic bags. It was a local solution to a local problem and one, he says, city officials had a “God-given right” to make.

But the power of Fort Stockton and other cities to govern themselves is under attack in the state capital, Austin. The new Republican governor, Greg Abbott, has warned that several cities are undermining the business-friendly “Texas model” with a patchwork of ill-conceived regulations. Conservative legislators, already angered by a ban on fracking that was enacted by popular vote in the town of Denton last fall, quickly followed up with a host of bills to curtail local power.

“The truth is, Texas is being California-ized, and you may not even be noticing it,” Mr. Abbott said in a speech at the Texas Public Policy Foundation, an influential conservative think tank, just before he took office last month. “Large cities that represent about 75 percent of the population in this state are doing this to us. Unchecked overregulation by cities will turn the Texas miracle into the California nightmare.”

quote:

His salvo caught Texas cities by surprise. But pre-empting the power of local governments is becoming a standard part of the legislative playbook in many states where Republicans who control statehouses are looking to block or overturn the actions of leaders, and even voters, in municipalities that are often more liberal.

So-called pre-emption laws, passed in states across the country, have barred cities from regulating landlords, building municipal broadband systems and raising the minimum wage. In the last two years, eight Republican-dominated states, most recently Alabama and Oklahoma, have prevented cities from enacting paid sick leave for workers, and a new law in Arkansas forbids municipalities to protect gays and lesbians from discrimination. Already this year, bills introduced in six more states, including Michigan, Missouri and South Carolina, seek to do the same. At least five states have pre-empted local regulation of e-cigarettes. And in New Mexico, the restaurant industry supports a modest increase to the minimum wage only if the state stops cities from mandating higher minimums.

Often these efforts are driven by industry, which finds it easier to wield influence in 50 capitols than in thousands of city halls, said Mark Pertschuk, the director of Grassroots Change, which opposes the pre-emption of public health measures.

The strategy was pioneered by tobacco companies 30 years ago to override local smoking bans. It was perfected by the National Rifle Association, which has succeeded in preventing local gun regulations in almost every state.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Why don't they just stop beating around the bush at this point and start just calling him a friend of the family?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

Rye isn't bourbon

All alcohol has the same thing going on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

When Texas Samsa woke up one morning from unsettling dreams, he found himself changed in his bed into a monstrous California.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Shageletic posted:

The best part is austin has a plastic bag ban.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Is there any precedent for congress getting so involved in talks like those with Iran? I feel like that's been left to the state department. I can see how a presidential candidate would get in the middle of everything, but that's of congresses domain right?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

On Terra Firma posted:

I can see how a presidential candidate would get in the middle of everything, but that's of congresses domain right?

What do you mean by this? Seems it'd be awfully dumb for a foreign government to get involved with someone that might not be elected into office.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The best part is austin has a plastic bag ban.

It's a lot more than a plastic bag ban. For example, Austin is one of several "sanctuary cities" in Texas, where the official policy of the local PD is to not inquire after immigration status of people it comes across. For a few sessions now elements within the legislature have been able to prevent the passage of bills that would force city police to check immigration status but it could happen this time around.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Shageletic posted:

:qq:"75% of the population are doing this to us!" :qq:

Sounds like the people want it hoss.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Steve King's staff is keeping busy, though they should maybe read Mending Wall again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

What do you mean by this? Seems it'd be awfully dumb for a foreign government to get involved with someone that might not be elected into office.

So long as the negative of delaying the talks isn't outweighed by the potential better deal it makes sense to wait. You can probably get the same deal after the election anyways.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

Is there any precedent for congress getting so involved in talks like those with Iran? I feel like that's been left to the state department. I can see how a presidential candidate would get in the middle of everything, but that's of congresses domain right?

Well the Senate does have to approve all treaties. And if it's not a treaty then Senate Republicans are absolutely right that a new president could hypothetically ignore any agreement upon taking office.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Tough posted:

Well the Senate does have to approve all treaties. And if it's not a treaty then Senate Republicans are absolutely right that a new president could hypothetically ignore any agreement upon taking office.

It's still incredibly bizarre for a party in Congress to publicly release a letter threatening to dismantle any diplomatic agreements that might be made by a currently sitting president.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Joementum posted:

Steve King's staff is keeping busy, though they should maybe read Mending Wall again.

I will support this only if that is a 1:1 scale model of the wall to be built.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

hobbesmaster posted:

So long as the negative of delaying the talks isn't outweighed by the potential better deal it makes sense to wait. You can probably get the same deal after the election anyways.

In the case of Iran I can't imagine they'd get a much better deal talking to a Republican candidate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

In the case of Iran I can't imagine they'd get a much better deal talking to a Republican candidate.

Only Nixon could go to China

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

I worded that incorrectly. I mean it's NOT congresses domain.

didn't have morning coffee.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What would you do if you were Barack Obama on November 9th 2016 and Jeb Bush was President-elect?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If your neighbor is Steve King, the bigger the wall, the better your neighbor is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What would you do if you were Barack Obama on November 9th 2016 and Jeb Bush was President-elect?

Remove the J keys from all the keyboards?

• Locked thread