Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
its going to be a really good watch and going to sell so many units it will be supply constrained until june

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
So excite for apple watch right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Polo-Rican posted:

Today we're unveiling a Watch... a piece of poo poo... a waste of money... and something that's really bad. A Watch. A Piece of poo poo. A Waste of Money. And Something That's Really Bad. A Watch. A Piece of poo poo. A Waste of Money. And Something That's Really Bad. Do you get it?!

Quoting this again because lol.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

will it normalize the idea of charging your watch multiple times a day?

Pissflaps posted:

get this: before iphones people didnt expect to have to charge their phone every day

i wonder if they'll try to equate daily charging of the iwatch to daily winding of super expensive mechanical watches.

lol @ your combo winding/charging cabinet. casio f-91w/seiko 5 adequacy.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Please release it early timb.

please

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Please release it early timb.

please

timb releases when hes ready, and when im in position

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Father Jack posted:

i wonder if they'll try to equate daily charging of the iwatch to daily winding of super expensive mechanical watches.

lol @ your combo winding/charging cabinet. casio f-91w/seiko 5 adequacy.

a smartwatch with kinetic or solar would at least make sense but i doubt it would generate enough power to break even

lol@ charging your watch every night. just lol.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

"hey bro what time is it??"

"DURR IDK i forgot to charmge my stebe watch. DURR"

what fail

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

yard salad posted:

"hey bro what time is it??"

"DURR IDK i forgot to charmge my stebe watch. DURR"

what fail

technically i think you mean the tim watch, steve jobs is no longer with us RIP... it would be silly to refer to it as the steve watch

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Sniep posted:

technically i think you mean the tim watch, steve jobs is no longer with us RIP... it would be silly to refer to it as the steve watch

im always on stebe watch

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

yard salad posted:

also, looking good and also showing people you got somehing good goin on

this is why they sell watches at jewelry stores

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Sniep posted:

well thats what the fail idiot in my hypothetical would have said, because hes too stupid to know anything bc he bought a stupid loving computer watch like a goddamn nerd lol

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Tom cook slept in til 4:30am like a slob

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

yard salad posted:

lol @ needing a "use case" for your fashion and clothes. I bet youre like "No thank you mr. salesman, I need a proper use case for this collared shirt and tie... Guess Ill go back to my coding dungeon where my fellow polyester pants wearing autists will congratulate me on my rational actor choice an run some JUNits on my socks"

yes I'm sure a gizmo smart watch is just the classiest thing you can wear

I'll be sure to get one after I get my fedora

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
im loving all the "its tape!" nerds itt whining about a watch they can't afford being super stupid and bad!!!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
literally the only other person I know of that wears a watch also wears vests, a bowler hat, and roots around abused women's donation boxes for old flip phones

and he says the same God drat thing about it being a fashion statement

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

My Linux Rig posted:

literally the only other person I know of that wears a watch also wears vests, a bowler hat, and roots around abused women's donation boxes for old flip phones

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

My Linux Rig posted:

your social circle is a piece of poo poo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
young shutin nerd declares: "people i know dont wear watches"

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
my stuffed animal friends don't wear watches either.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

apple watch is going to solve income inequality :unsmith:

quote:

You can spend more than $60,000 for a Rolex. A watch made by A. Lange & Sohne known as the Grand Complication—just six were manufactured in 2013—was priced at $2.5 million.

But come next month, some fabulously wealthy watch wearers will trade in their handmade timepieces containing thousands of perfectly calibrated moving parts for a far more useful $349 Apple Watch that was mass produced in a factory in China. We’ll find out a lot more about this new device when the Cupertino-based tech giant unveils new details at its “Spring forward” event later today. It's already been revealed that there will be an 18-karat gold version, which may go for as much as $10,000, so rich people will still be able to differentiate themselves. But the gold version will have the same innards and functionality as the basic version. The bottom line is that the Apple Watch is part of a trend in which the lifestyles and accouterments of the super wealthy increasingly look a lot more like yours and mine.

The narrow lifestyle differences between the rich and middle class was a theme that Patrick Byrne, the libertarian CEO of Overstock.com, touched on in a fascinating onstage interview with Nick Gillespie (coming soon to Reason TV) that took place over the weekend at the New Hampshire Liberty Forum, an annual conference for libertarians held in Manchester. In response to a question from an audience member looking for career advice, Byrne quoted some wisdom he once heard his mentor, Warren Buffett, impart to a high school teacher.

The teacher was considering abandoning the profession he loved to try and earn more money. Buffett pointed out that these days super rich guys like him mostly eat the same food, wear the same clothes, and do all the same things as the middle class, so why make himself miserable at work just to travel better?

Yes, even at $349, the new Apple Watch will be out of reach for most Americans. But if the new device is a runaway success, one day the poorest people in the world will be able to supplement the super computers already in their pockets with an accompanying device strapped to their wrists.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

a smartwatch with kinetic or solar would at least make sense but i doubt it would generate enough power to break even

lol@ charging your watch every night. just lol.

my feature list for a smart watch:
- is a watch that isn't poo poo
- vibrates/lights a light to tell me to look at my phone
-

p sure this could be done with non terrible battery life.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

quote:

What’s great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you know that the President drinks Coke, Liz Taylor drinks Coke, and just think, you can drink Coke, too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the President knows it, the bum knows it, and you know it.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pinterest Mom posted:

the 'one day poor people can have smart watches with their smartphones' is now and the watch is plastic that mimics the apple watch from deal extreme idk how this is so hard for that guy

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 9, 2015

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

triple sulk posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A URL INTO THE BROWSER. IT'S DARING FIREBALL DOT COM AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JOHN GRUBER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME APPLE PREDICTIONS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY PREDICTED THE WATCH PRICE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE FEATURES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its hard to know how good the watch is compared to the iphone or the ipad because steve was about a million times better at selling things than tim

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

laffing at all the poo poo for brains nerd idiots itt and itf who dont think the apple watch will be a massive success because they think they know better or something loving idiots

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm ready.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

poty posted:

its hard to know how good the watch is compared to the iphone or the ipad because steve was about a million times better at selling things than tim

what about hair force one

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i bet angela is nervous af rn

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nice non-apple monitor you shameful idiot

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

dell monitor, trap sprung

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

dell monitor voted 1

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Is it Jane Time yet?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Pissflaps posted:

young shutin nerd declares: "people i know dont wear watches"

yeah sorry they're right about watches being mainly a thing for olds. apple watch might change that though, idk

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
lol @ the dell monitor and noname brand budget lotion

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Tiny Bug Child posted:

yeah sorry they're right about watches being mainly a thing for olds. apple watch might change that though, idk

it will

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"good morning, after a period of self-reflection and business analysis led by the principles steve jobs laid down for this company, it is with great enthusiasm that we are announcing today that we will not be releasing the iwatch. we deeply regret initiating, developing and announcing a product that goes so far against the basic tenets of good product design and i, tim cook, would like to personally apologize for approving this concept.

effective immediately, i will be stepping down as ceo of apple as my conscience dictates. further, we are pleased to announce that johnny ives has sought other opportunities as a perpetually unemployed hack. now, i'm going to hand things over to our new ceo, scott forstall, who has some exciting announcements about the phase-out of the iphone 6 line and a classic re-design of ios that will restore the functionality and design that made it great"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poty posted:

what time is it?

quote:

I know, because we measure; nor can we measure things that are not; and things past and future are not.

But how do we measure present time, since it hath not space? It is measured while it passeth; but when it shall have passed, it is not measured; for there will not be aught that can be measured.

In what space, then, do we measure passing time?

Is it in the future, whence it passeth over? But what yet we measure not, is not. Or is it in the present, by which it passeth? But no space, we do not measure. Or in the past, whither it passeth? But that which is not now, we measure not.

that might have been true in the year 32 or whenever the gently caress this was written but now the answer is: we measure passing time in switzerland

switzerland is the wealthiest country per capita in the world. it has the pointiest mountains in the alps. the most competitive economy. their army has the most crap tools on their knives. and it all rides on the back of one thing: the finest timepieces known to man

poty posted:

switzerland the day before the apple watch

but on september 9 2014 tim cook got on stage and announced:

"switzerland. is. hosed."

after nokia and finland apple has a new victim in their sights. something smells rotten in switzerland and its not their cheese.

switzerland the day after

today the swiss will gather in their mandatory nuclear war shelters to learn about something no bunker will protect them from: the apple watch. how many are we allowed to buy? how many X is apple gold better than normal gold? which would have been steves favorite watch? etc

:siren: take into account dst in the us the keynote is an hour earlier than usual for the rest of the world :siren:

• Locked thread