Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I said it a bunch of pages back but this is more or less exactly what Bayonetta did so its automatically at least good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I liked the presentation tbh, only some cutscenes were that way anyway, there were plenty regular cutscenes.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I also liked the presentation of the cutscenes. My main problem with them was that they weren't in English :v:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here is an off-screen video of the announcer going crazy over the intro in the Yakuza 0 Vita app:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVfOVUu-xqw

Kiryu's introduction isn't as impressive.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

El Hefe posted:

I liked the presentation tbh, only some cutscenes were that way anyway, there were plenty regular cutscenes.

That's true but it's so cheesy I honestly assumed they were placeholders.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I am so hyped for Yakuza 0 (and 5 of course but I am meandering through that in Japanese currently). Formatted my Vita TV to work with my Japanese store memory card and downloading the Vita app right now. Going to grab Ishin one as well (why not, have Ishin anyway). I have a bad feeling that Y5 is going to tank hard unless they do a Steam release (not happening) so we are unlikely to see it come westward unless Sony takes another punch to the chin with localization cash (appropriate for the theme of Y0). And that's a shame, all the videos, previews and the demo look amazing.

Grabbed the demo myself and played around a bit. Feels really good and visuals are pretty nice. I don't mind the PS3 quality graphics but everything is a lot more crisp/clear.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I dunno, with Yakuza 4 having just been a PS+ game, I'd argue the franchise is as visible now as it's ever been. With the Yakuza 5 release just around the corner, I think that momentum could keep up until then.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
If anyone has a Vita with a Hong Kong account on it and don't feel like formatting it for the Japanese store, the free Yakuza 0 Vita app is also in the Hong Kong store.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yechezkel posted:

Here is an off-screen video of the announcer going crazy over the intro in the Yakuza 0 Vita app:

Oh poo poo, that's Lenne Hardt. She was the announcer for Pride FC and also voices Anna Williams. She's wonderful.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

I said it a bunch of pages back but this is more or less exactly what Bayonetta did so its automatically at least good.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I tried the demo. Wonder if it's the same cutscenes director. Sega of Japan must hire a lot of old school film buffs.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
How hard is the demo to navigate if you have an extremely thin grasp of Japanese (I know a few phrases and can't read it at all)? For real I've seriously considered learning Japanese just to play Yakuza games. I'm a little nuts.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

cat doter posted:

How hard is the demo to navigate if you have an extremely thin grasp of Japanese (I know a few phrases and can't read it at all)? For real I've seriously considered learning Japanese just to play Yakuza games. I'm a little nuts.

As long as you've played other yakuza games you should be fine, I know zero japanese and beat the demo easily.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Housh posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I tried the demo. Wonder if it's the same cutscenes director. Sega of Japan must hire a lot of old school film buffs.

Yuri Shimomura, if memory serves. He worked on DMC 3/4 and basically every Platinum game. If he worked on a Yakuza game you can bet it'd be fantastic, iirc it's him we have to thank stuff like Raiden's ridiculous mariachi uniform.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Captain Walker posted:

Yuri Shimomura, if memory serves. He worked on DMC 3/4 and basically every Platinum game. If he worked on a Yakuza game you can bet it'd be fantastic, iirc it's him we have to thank stuff like Raiden's ridiculous mariachi uniform.

Just from the trailer, we can see that at some point you have to deal with a guy on a motorcycle trying to sword joust you in a sewer tunnel. You know, just the usual ho-hum boring stuff the series is known for.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Oh, I agree, that sounds fantastic, but I'm saying that Shimomura would probably somehow find a way to top even that. How? I don't know! I'm not him!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Hey so in Yakuza 3 how do I use the items that let you cheat at gambling? In the first two games you just use in your inventory but now I keep getting a "item can't be used here" message.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Lucinice posted:

Hey so in Yakuza 3 how do I use the items that let you cheat at gambling? In the first two games you just use in your inventory but now I keep getting a "item can't be used here" message.

Press triangle during the minigame before you bet, a menu comes up and Kiryu will ask "what should I use to bilk this poor bastard today?"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

For what it's worth, Famitsu's reviews for both versions are spectacular:

Yakuza 0 (PS4) – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]
Yakuza 0 (PS3) – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]

Highest rated titles this week across the board, as well.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Famitsu's gotten soft but that's still cool.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Yechezkel posted:

that's Lenne Hardt who announces for a bunch of combat sport organisations in Japan, most famously for PRIDE FC when it was around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UXu7a1tJ6Y&t=385s

that's cool that they got her for this game.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I was poking around the LP archive and saw that Jamesman's LP of the first game isn't on blip/viddler anymore. Does anyone know somewhere else to find it or have the videos been lost in the ether?

edit: Much appreciated.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 8, 2015

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

TheLoser posted:

I was poking around the LP archive and saw that Jamesman's LP of the first game isn't on blip/viddler anymore. Does anyone know somewhere else to find it or have the videos been lost in the ether?

https://archive.org/details/LP_Yakuza

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The announcer is a real person and is a lady? :swoon:

The add-on arcade games for the Vita app came out last week. Fortunately, they are all in one pack for ¥540, or Hong Kong version for HK$33.

:siren: Yakuza 0 is coming out this Thursday in Japan! :siren:

And just like other Yakuza games, it's got its own share of product tie-ins

MANLY WATCH

Only 120,000 yen, or around US$1,000.

MANLY COLOGNE

Now you can stink smell just like Kiryu ("Dynamic Energy Note" scent) and Majima ("Melting Citrus Note" scent).

MANLY WALKMAN

Only 29,980 yen, or around US$250

MANLY NOODLE SPOON AND ZIPPO LIGHTER

I don't know how exactly they are given out, but they found here.

MANLY ENERGY CHEWS

Cola, grape, and ginger ale chews with caffeine and arginine.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
god the japanese games industry is weird

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
they probably look at us getting TIER ONE OPERATOR NVGs as collector's edition bonuses and think the same thing

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

I need some of that Eau de Eyepatch and maybe that fancy spoon.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Yeah, I would definitely order some Eau de Kiryu if I had a way to.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Just got an email saying my credit card has been charged for the game and it will ship soon! Didn't spoil myself with the demo, can't wait to tuck into this when it arrives!

I can't call out sick though, I've used too much time already...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Yeah, I would definitely order some Eau de Kiryu if I had a way to.
It smells like blood, sweat and hitting people with giant traffic cones.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Do they really have giant traffic cones just lying around Tokyo?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

El Hefe posted:

Do they really have giant traffic cones just lying around Tokyo?
Not that I saw in my many times visiting Tokyo. Maybe they are just in Kabuki-cho, the model for Kamuro-cho? I didn't go in there lest I got my face smashed in with one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't see any in Kabukicho but then I was either a) trying to avoid the people attempting to hustle us into hostess clubs or b) very drunk.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

So judging by the prices, stuff for actual Yakuza?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
This video has everything that's in Yakuza 4, hobos, drunkards, salesmen, even an ambulance taking one of Kiryu's victims to the hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufnZKlAD8gU

but no giant traffic cones

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Man my PS3 finally decided to die this weekend. I was ok with it until I remembered Yakuza 5 :(. Here's hoping I can get a cheap one off of craigslist or something.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Randy Mythbuster posted:

Man my PS3 finally decided to die this weekend. I was ok with it until I remembered Yakuza 5 :(. Here's hoping I can get a cheap one off of craigslist or something.

I can speak from experience after my old Fat bit the dust a few months back, you can get a real nice used slim for pretty cheap out there, and most importantly, you don't need to splurge for a hard drive, since you can just pull out the old one and use that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo Zero comes out in three days or so. I guess it's time to hit up Playasia for some PSN bucks, since Amazon.jp hasn't started selling them yet, like I hoped they would (they've been selling PS+ codes directly for months but still not PSN money for some reason).

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
They do exist - the first one I saw was on my exchange year in 2002. It was in Shinjuku but not quite Kabukicho. It was on one of the streets by the New South exit if I remember right. Also a noodle place which proudly displayed its bukkake (soba). I think I saw one in Shibuya last year but that might have been someone in a Halloween costume for all I know.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Okay so after complaining about the difficulty of yakuza 3 a few pages ago and asking whether I should restart or not? Well I'm at Yakuza 4 now and I'm trying to debate what difficulty to play on. Do you guys think I should keep going on hard and is yakuza's hard mode more balanced than yakuza 3's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Lucinice posted:

Okay so after complaining about the difficulty of yakuza 3 a few pages ago and asking whether I should restart or not? Well I'm at Yakuza 4 now and I'm trying to debate what difficulty to play on. Do you guys think I should keep going on hard and is yakuza's hard mode more balanced than yakuza 3's?

My personal thoughts? Play on normal, because there is a trophy for finishing on Normal that you don't get if you jump straight to hard. Then play hard on New Game +, which lets you carry over all your stats and cool stuff that you unlocked. Unless you don't care about trophies whatsoever, but yeah, Normal does enough annoying stuff during fights to make it challenging enough on it's own. I'm looking at you, Tanimura final boss fight.

Also completing normal with 0 continues gives you like an extra 2 million yen, so that's a nice little bonus.

• Locked thread