Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
takes a lot of energy to use a big screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I don't understand why you would buy something like that and then put linux on it.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

gnu / freedom

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

OldAlias posted:

gnu / freedom

Sorry, you have to buy hardware from a vendor that supports your freedoms by at least releasing documentation on how critical parts work.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Nothing wrong with buying that hardware, or running windows on it. Not being a zealot. I'm just saying you need a huge community before enough people in the community of owners have the skill and desire to make things like that work.

Cause lol if you think the manufacturer is ever going to try.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

agreed stallman. chinese open hardware vendors are who we should trust

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

OldAlias posted:

agreed stallman. chinese open hardware vendors are who we should trust

AMD has released enough documentation to get the open source radeon driver usable, so has intel. Nvidia has so far only released info on what the Xorg people already knew.

AMD and Intel are both huge chinese megacorps IIRC.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Oh sorry, I forgot that netbsd only has a barely functional graphics stack and you are posting through lynx because elinks hasn't been ported yet.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rahu posted:

Does ubuntu actually use optimus now? I thought it just used the nvidia graphics and ignored intel.

in general, using your nvidia chip to render offscreen and then displaying it on a head connected to an intel chip works fine.

the problem is turning the nvidia chip off when it's not needed. some laptop hardware, this works fine. others, your battery is gone in two hours. oops

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

AMD has released enough documentation to get the open source radeon driver usable, so has intel. Nvidia has so far only released info on what the Xorg people already knew.

AMD and Intel are both huge chinese megacorps IIRC.

the intel linux driver is feature-complete, but really slow. everything "works" but you can't play videogames very well for framerate reasons. i got about 1 frame per second playing sc2 on linux with sandy bridge graphics. it rendered perfectly, but that was not really my concern.

the amd open source driver is reasonably featureful, but completely unusable due to speed. the closed source driver is equally slow but also so broken that nothing works properly.

if you want to play vidya games on linux, you need an nvidia chip and the nvidia binary blob.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in general, using your nvidia chip to render offscreen and then displaying it on a head connected to an intel chip works fine.

the problem is turning the nvidia chip off when it's not needed. some laptop hardware, this works fine. others, your battery is gone in two hours. oops

Complicated by some devices not even having the bios option to disable it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
has there ever been a unix window system that isnt some retarded client server poo poo

other than quartz

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

has there ever been a unix window system that isnt some retarded client server poo poo

other than quartz

there were lots, and they all failed and died. quartz itself is arguably a knockoff of dps and news. which are dead failures.

x11 was probably not the most capable or sophisticated unix window system, but it was least-encumbered and most widely adopted, which made it the best system despite itself

i pay attention to wayland because it has some promise, but i am not at all confident it will succeed. it could be another news real easy

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

quartz xxxtreme

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Okay, I got me a DisplayPort 3-way splitter because I want to connect multiple monitors to my laptop so I can have the ultimate desktop Linux experience. But, it is only supported in some much newer kernel than available on my Debian system. Guess it's time to put on my janitor's hat. This guy also mentions some horrible things about BIOS updates, but I hope it won't come to that.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I kind of miss make menuconfig but I guess they just cram every module in now

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the intel linux driver is feature-complete, but really slow. everything "works" but you can't play videogames very well for framerate reasons. i got about 1 frame per second playing sc2 on linux with sandy bridge graphics. it rendered perfectly, but that was not really my concern.

the amd open source driver is reasonably featureful, but completely unusable due to speed. the closed source driver is equally slow but also so broken that nothing works properly.

if you want to play vidya games on linux, you need an nvidia chip and the nvidia binary blob.
I play cs:go on a lenovo yoga 2 pro running gentoo, but that's haswell so I don't know how sandy bridge would fare... but mesa gets better and better at every release.

The only caveat is that I have to run it at 1600x900 instead of 3200x1800, but that makes it pixel perfect at least.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Athas posted:

Okay, I got me a DisplayPort 3-way splitter because I want to connect multiple monitors to my laptop so I can have the ultimate desktop Linux experience. But, it is only supported in some much newer kernel than available on my Debian system. Guess it's time to put on my janitor's hat. This guy also mentions some horrible things about BIOS updates, but I hope it won't come to that.

Sometimes the easiest and most janitoring thing to do is to compile the latest kernel source. It isn't hard, and if you haven't done it before really gives you a leg up on your linux skills.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Debian even has a way to compile the source and build a kernel package. I never used it, as the kernel files are easy to clean up when you no longer need them.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Sometimes the easiest and most janitoring thing to do is to compile the latest kernel source. It isn't hard, and if you haven't done it before really gives you a leg up on your linux skills.

I used Gentoo for four years when I was a teenager. Using a source distribution is just like puberty.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Athas posted:

I used Gentoo for four years when I was a teenager. Using a source distribution is just like puberty.

God bless gentoo.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

this is bad advice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

i assume you bought a device that uses displayport mst/daisy-chaining. that won't work well under linux even with intel drivers and the very newest kernel. mst support is very much a work-in-progress

(hell, it doesn't work well under windows, yet)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

OldAlias posted:

"install gentoo" is a joke, it is not advisable to actually install gentoo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

radeonsi is getting better, to the point where games like tf2 actually run better on it than fglrx. like intel, the problem is that mesa's gl 4+ support is still piecemeal and missing important things like compute that keeps newer titles from running.

hopefully amd will do the smart thing and implement vulkan support on radeonsi instead of trying to shoehorn it into the mess that is fglrx.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

radeonsi is getting better, to the point where games like tf2 actually run better on it than fglrx. like intel, the problem is that mesa's gl 4+ support is still piecemeal and missing important things like compute that keeps newer titles from running.

this is more commentary on the badness of fglrx than the goodness of radeonsi

an nvidia card + driver will still whomp it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i unironically advocate the use of linux as a professional desktop os, but gently caress trying to run games on that

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have no issues running games on Linux, but I do use nvidia and the official latest drivers

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Celexi posted:

I have no issues running games on Linux, but I do use nvidia and the official latest drivers

nice edge case

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is more commentary on the badness of fglrx than the goodness of radeonsi

an nvidia card + driver will still whomp it

is there really any driver worse than fglrx besides ones that just don't work at all?

how is it still so awful

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Sudo Echo posted:

how is it still so awful

picture, if you will, a platform that your company has no compelling reason to care about because only a tiny handful of hobbyists use it for games and they all already bought your competitor's product anyway

do you (a) waste money developing good drivers anyway, or (b) say "gently caress it" and release fglrx?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
why are you guys trying to play video games on your web servers ?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

nice edge case

lol.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

picture, if you will, a platform that your company has no compelling reason to care about because only a tiny handful of hobbyists use it for games and they all already bought your competitor's product anyway

do you (a) waste money developing good drivers anyway, or (b) say "gently caress it" and release fglrx?

it's called "catalyst" now

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I have a 7870. Catalyst renders nethack at a full 60fps.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I have a 7870. Catalyst renders nethack at a full 60fps.

but can it run crysis :xd:

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

because its a catalyst for throwing the piece of poo poo in the trash and buying nvidia

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

more like "catastrophe"

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lol if you buy anything amd in 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
First janitoring in 4 weeks. The wine PPA has a conflict with the fglrx packages.

Fix? Install the driver without using the repo...