Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Looks kinda hokey to me, aren't they too close together? Seems to me you'd be getting a lot of interference with them all bunched up like that.

Edit: weird green thing is their corporate mascot

Nah, multi-path is a thing, but 802.11g was built to deal with multi-path, and 802.11n and 802.11ac actually rely on multi-path to improve throughput. Plus you can orient them in different XYZ planes to maximize your coverage, without blasting the gain (which changes your RF cloud and shadows, causing other potential issues).

Although the larger antennas (higher gain) are going to flatten your RF horizontally in relation to their Z axis, so you definitely want to adjust the orientation to not be what they have pictured to ensure adequate coverage.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Well, this is the only thing I see when I visit that page:

Looks like it clips right on top of the existing RAM chip.

Nah, that looks like some marketing rear end in a top hat got a stock picture of a generic low performance QFP chip package and photoshopped it to look cool and glossy. Today's DDR3 memory chips are BGAs, which look quite different from that.

BGAs don't have legs that stick out, so it's impossible to make a clip that accesses internal contacts. Adding memory to an Air/rMBP requires PCB rework of some kind, either soldering chips to empty sites (if leaving some chips off is how Apple varies memory capacity) or removing and replacing the original chips (if Apple varies chip density). Based on teardown pics available on the web I'm inclined to think it's the latter.

Which is a long winded way of saying that if these guys promised clip on upgrades they're probably scammers. That poo poo was possible back in the days of DIP package RAM chips (If you didn't mind ugly hacks with bent out pins soldered to flying jumper wires since you can't connect all the pins together) but today? No. No no no no no.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am ready to make the plunge and put an SSD in my Macbook Pro, but how do I go about transferring my OS to the new hard drive? I've never done this before and my Mac didn't come with a OSX disc. I'm not sure I kept my Yosemite install files, but just in case, where are those located on the hard drive?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I said come in! posted:

I am ready to make the plunge and put an SSD in my Macbook Pro, but how do I go about transferring my OS to the new hard drive? I've never done this before and my Mac didn't come with a OSX disc. I'm not sure I kept my Yosemite install files, but just in case, where are those located on the hard drive?

Spend $8 on a 2.5" SATA USB drive enclosure (example). Use the free version of Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your current HD to the new SSD, then when you install your new SSD in your MacBook, you can use your old HD as a Time Machine backup.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Very likely your Mac can network boot so you can get in without a drive at all.

But you should be able to create a Yosemite USB installer just by Googling how to do it. As for your old files, you'll need to connect it to your computer somehow, copy things over, basically clone your drive onto the new one. There are easy ways to do that, but the EASIEST way if you already keep a Time Machine backup, is to grab the install media and do a Time Machine recovery.

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!

Binary Badger posted:

In some more Mac hardware non-news:

https://www.getbatterybox.com/

Evidently it was announced last march, its a $150 external battery pack for Late 2012 MacBook Pros and Airs and newer. It didn't start shipping until late January of this year, according to their Twitter.. it's described by one tweet as a 'Mophie pack for your laptop.'

It gets around MagSafe by offering their own proprietary clip-on technology which seems to use the gap for the display swivel as one of its anchors.

It also provides a 2A USB charging port, both ports can be charging simultaneously (so you can charge your phone at the same time.) The battery is also running something called BatteryOS that seems to do power management for the cells.

Supposedly adds up to 7.4 additional hours of power for 13" Pros, up to 13 additional hours for Airs.

Looks pretty interesting, will keep an eye on them to see if they last..

What exactly is the point of this, other than maybe reducing the number of cycles on your battery - and some other edge cases?

The 'freedom from the outlet' is sort of negated by the size of it, which for me at least, would mean it's something you'd only use on a desk/table anyway - and surely at that point you can just plug in to a wall socket 99% of the time?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Spend $8 on a 2.5" SATA USB drive enclosure (example). Use the free version of Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your current HD to the new SSD, then when you install your new SSD in your MacBook, you can use your old HD as a Time Machine backup.

Perfect! I already have one of these. Thanks guys. :) Can I also just take out the DVD drive and put my current HDD in that spot?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Perfect! I already have one of these. Thanks guys. :) Can I also just take out the DVD drive and put my current HDD in that spot?

no you need an adapter

http://www.amazon.ca/BrainyDeal-Drive-Caddy-Macbook-Replacement/dp/B004FM1I2I

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I said come in! posted:

Yup, just buy a 'data doubler' or eBay knock-off

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Malf posted:

What exactly is the point of this, other than maybe reducing the number of cycles on your battery - and some other edge cases?

The 'freedom from the outlet' is sort of negated by the size of it, which for me at least, would mean it's something you'd only use on a desk/table anyway - and surely at that point you can just plug in to a wall socket 99% of the time?

I travel a lot for work and I have a hyperjuice 2 battery that I keep in my book bag all of the time. It comes in handy when you're on a plane and the outlet at your seat doesn't work, or in a car or bus and need some juice for your laptop. I just reach down and pull out the correct cable for power.

I typically make sure all my devices are fully charged before I head out but sometimes I overlook something. It's nice to have another option when you can't locate or stop for an outlet. It's also nice to not be that guy who shows up to a client meeting with no juice in a device that you have to make a presentation with and spend time looking for an outlet within range.

It's not something that your typical/average user would need.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Malf posted:

What exactly is the point of this, other than maybe reducing the number of cycles on your battery - and some other ?

I can see it being very useful for data wranglers on exterior film shoots.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The part where is only powers the laptop and doesn't charge your battery is interesting, how is that supposed to work? The site doesn't have much info.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
It's like your laptop is plugged in, but not charging the battery. It only provides enough power to stay even (or slow the discharge of the main battery).

If your battery is dead, it won't bring it back.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

You could rework in a larger sized DDR3 IC on a MBP mobo, but I imagine you'd have to do some BIOS-level work as well -- desktop BIOSes have the Intel MRC (memory reference code) plus routines that enumerate the number of DIMMs in a system, perform equalization and link training, etc. Apple knows the finite set of configurations they ship with -- wouldn't be surprised if they read from PROM during PEI/DXE code and make DRAM decisions based on that. The other parameters of course like width, speed, SPD timings etc I'd imagine are pretty opaque as well.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bob Morales posted:

Just asking, but couldn't someone make a Time Machine backup, make a Yosemite install drive, boot to that, install Yosemite on the SSD, then restore the drive back to the SSD?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Just asking, but couldn't someone make a Time Machine backup, make a Yosemite install drive, boot to that, install Yosemite on the SSD, then restore the drive back to the SSD?

that's exactly what i suggested except you don't need to clean install first, you can do a direct restore from time machine. it's the best way to do things IMO, unless you exclude things from TM that you do want to transfer over, at which point you'll need an adapter anyway so may as well do the clone.

you can do it many ways. cloning the drive works, restoring from TM works, even mounting the old drive and copying over just the stuff you want works, if you know where the stuff is.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is Time Machine smart enough to ask you want you want back? I've had this OS instal since 2010, and I'm getting the impression that it should be time for a refresh.

I'm also considering chucking a SSD in my early 2010 13" to get another year or two out of it. It's a scratched, dented, beat up tank. And I love it.

Are they picky about SSDs? I was considering this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...ource=afc-%25zn

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 9, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Is Time Machine smart enough to ask you want you want back? I've had this OS instal since 2010, and I'm getting the impression that it should be time for a refresh.

I'm also considering chucking a SSD in my early 2010 13" to get another year or two out of it. It's a scratched, dented, beat up tank. And I love it.

Are they picky about SSDs? I was considering this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...ource=afc-%25zn

That's the SSD I just bought for my 2012 MacBook Pro 13", from Newegg as well. So I guess i'll let you know later this week. :homebrew: It's suppose to be one of if not the best SSD you can buy right now.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Just went through all of this a few weeks ago in this thread and one of the drives I got pointed to was the Intel 530 series. Put it in and couldn't be happier about it. So fast. So consider me a vote for the Intel 530 ssd.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
GOLD MACBOOK AIR. Is there a thread for this awful event?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

GOLD MACBOOK AIR. Is there a thread for this awful event?

Seriously? So tacky. SPACE GREY

edit:
2304x1440 what the flying gently caress

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Actually yeah, now that I am getting a bit of info on the features, it seems... pretty nice. Still wondering about ports, though...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel stupid now. I got my parents an 11" Macbook Air a week ago. They can just take it to an Apple store and get it replaced with the new one, right? Or how does it work?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
You'll love our new bluetooth gigabit ethernet adapter!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress GimmickTrackPad

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Pretty sure the standard Apple Store return policy is 2 weeks?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

I said come in! posted:

That's the SSD I just bought for my 2012 MacBook Pro 13", from Newegg as well. So I guess i'll let you know later this week. :homebrew: It's suppose to be one of if not the best SSD you can buy right now.

From what I've read, mine SATA2 machine won't benefit AS much. But hopefully if I buy a decent SSD now I can re purpose it later. I'll decide tonight I suppose.

James Dente
Nov 29, 2003
Awful Things Ate My Head
John Gruber is going to wet himself over Force Click.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
So MBA and MBP lines have merged.

Think this one laptop will have a high-end and low-end version?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"only" 9 hours of battery life.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hahaha not a fuckin' port on the thing. It's the iMac all over again?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Hahaha not a fuckin' port on the thing. It's the iMac all over again?

Get ready to buy all new adapters guys! And bluetooth headphones, bluetooth external hard drives...

It's a laptop with all the advantages of an iPad!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Wait you charge it through the USB port?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So far to me this sounds like an iPad air with a keyboard attachment, only less capable.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Vaporware posted:

Wait you charge it through the USB port?

Seems so.

It's pretty groovy, I'd like one, but I'll wait for the 2nd gen so you can actually get 16GB of RAM.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That's the macbook I was waiting for to replace my 2006 black macbook. When do they open the preorder gates?!

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Is it me or is the MacBook Air now more powerful and has more ports than the MacBook? Isn't that backwards??

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Housh posted:

That's the macbook I was waiting for to replace my 2006 black macbook. When do they open the preorder gates?!

shipping today

MBA's also got broadwell and thunderbolt 2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Housh posted:

Once Tim Cook shuts up, then the online store goes back up with the new Macs.

Rabble posted:

Is it me or is the MacBook Air now more powerful and has more ports than the MacBook? Isn't that backwards??

I don't know about the Intel processor. The GPU is a step up from what some of the Macbook Pros use though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Between the MacPad and the watch, Apple has jumped the shark.