Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
But can it's screen detach? Checkmate, Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Once Tim Cook shuts up, then the online store goes back up with the new Macs.

I don't know about the Intel processor. The GPU is a step up from what some of the Macbook Pros use though.

Intel Core M 1.1 (or) 1.2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rabble posted:

Intel Core M 1.1 (or) 1.2

Sorry, I meant I am not familiar with this processor and how it compares to the i5 and i7 line.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

AlternateAccount posted:

GOLD MACBOOK AIR. Is there a thread for this awful event?

Think this is being used as a live event thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703271

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Huh. So they updated the 15" MBPr without touching the amount of storage on it or really updating the graphics on it at all.

That loving blows.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh. So they updated the 15" MBPr without touching the amount of storage on it or really updating the graphics on it at all.

That loving blows.

Did they? I don't see anything about anything but the Air, the new 12", and the 13" rMBP anywhere. Should be the case because the quad-core Broadwell parts aren't available yet.

VVV oh, d'oh. Well I'd still say that you probably won't see the storage amounts change for a good while. 2TB SSDs are incredibly rare and expensive still

emdash fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 9, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheQat posted:

Did they? I don't see anything about anything but the Air, the new 12", and the 13" rMBP anywhere. Should be the case because the quad-core Broadwell parts aren't available yet.

He means the one a few months ago, probably.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

I said come in! posted:

Sorry, I meant I am not familiar with this processor and how it compares to the i5 and i7 line.

The only other computer that's using that processor right now that I know of is the yoga 3 pro and it's slow as hell compared to the ULV i5 and i7 processors. Like old intel atom netbook slow when you do the comparison.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TheQat posted:

VVV oh, d'oh. Well I'd still say that you probably won't see the storage amounts change for a good while. 2TB SSDs are incredibly rare and expensive still

No, I'm just an idiot who mis-heard the address. It sounded to me like he was saying that these changes were coming in across the entire MBPr spectrum, not just the 13"

If he didn't touch the 15" at all that actually gives me a lot happier, as I'm wanting to upgrade from my old 2009 model and was hoping for a substantial boost in the summer/fall.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The Macbook Pro models are kinda underwhelming. My 4 year old model is still holding strong after swapping an SSD into it. The only problem I have is the battery life. Retina would be great, but not $3000 great. The video card is barely an improvement.

So after seeing those new Macbook Air models I think I might pick one up for work. I am on call 2 weeks at a time, and I can get my job to pay for $1000 worth of it. I'll just build a gaming PC for that kind of stuff instead of trying to do it on my laptop. The lineup is so scattered now, I don't know what they are doing. If you don't need overly impressive video card specs its just about weight vs storage/screen.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

havenwaters posted:

The only other computer that's using that processor right now that I know of is the yoga 3 pro and it's slow as hell compared to the ULV i5 and i7 processors. Like old intel atom netbook slow when you do the comparison.

Yeah, this Macbook, while looking fly as hell, seems like the perfect example of 'skip the first version'.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Yeah, this Macbook, while looking fly as hell, seems like the perfect example of 'skip the first version'.

Without any ports it's basically useless to me.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

What if they added like some sort of a hinged system that would let you gain access to more ports when necessary and hide them while not in use?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Losing the ports is what gets them 2.1mm thickness. They just want all your connections to be wireless I guess. I'm not really that sold on it.

edit: the new macbook starts at 8gb ram, 256gb ssd.

brap fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 9, 2015

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Broadwell/Touchpad MBA it is then.

Any word on if they're bumping the baseline RAM to 8GB?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LmaoTheKid posted:

Broadwell/Touchpad MBA it is then.

Any word on if they're bumping the baseline RAM to 8GB?

It's still 4GB

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Anyone ever had sparks and smoke at the point where the magsafe 2 power adapter plugs into your laptop? Kind of scared the poo poo out of me. Laptop seems to still work despite lots of burn marks in the power port but I'm not going to plug that charger back in.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

How lovely is the Core M processor compared to an i3/i5/i7? Is it more comparable to the Celeron CPUs used in Chromebooks?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like how the new Macbook looks, and the screen resolution is awesome, but i'm underwhelmed by the rest of it.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Anyone ever had sparks and smoke at the point where the magsafe 2 power adapter plugs into your laptop? Kind of scared the poo poo out of me. Laptop seems to still work despite lots of burn marks in the power port but I'm not going to plug that charger back in.

Time to take advantage of your warranty and get that thing to an Apple store asap.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I have a Mid-2010 27" iMac with a 27" Cinema Display. I love it. I have a MId-2010 15" MacBook Pro. I loved it before United Airlines smashed it to bits. I have an iPad 2 and an iPad 4, and I love them. I bought my girlfriend an iPad Air 2 for Christmas and it's okay, but I'd prefer it to have a beefier battery. It doesn't, because it has to be THIN THIN THIN. I have a Late-2014 15" MacBook Pro Retina. It's okay, but once again Apple's obsession with making things as thin as possible comes at the expense of usability. This MBP annoys me REGULARLY because I'm constantly having to dig out my Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. I also really, really, really miss the LED battery level indicator. Like, really.

I cannot imagine having a computer with ONE SINGLE ALL-PURPOSE PORT.

I've been an Apple fan for a really long time, but seriously. Circle-jerking over ten thousand dollar watches, and painting everything Gold, and making everything wafer thin... This is what Apple has become?

I don't like it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Accipiter posted:

I have a Mid-2010 27" iMac with a 27" Cinema Display. I love it. I have a MId-2010 15" MacBook Pro. I loved it before United Airlines smashed it to bits. I have an iPad 2 and an iPad 4, and I love them. I bought my girlfriend an iPad Air 2 for Christmas and it's okay, but I'd prefer it to have a beefier battery. It doesn't, because it has to be THIN THIN THIN. I have a Late-2014 15" MacBook Pro Retina. It's okay, but once again Apple's obsession with making things as thin as possible comes at the expense of usability. This MBP annoys me REGULARLY because I'm constantly having to dig out my Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. I also really, really, really miss the LED battery level indicator. Like, really.

I cannot imagine having a computer with ONE SINGLE ALL-PURPOSE PORT.

I've been an Apple fan for a really long time, but seriously. Circle-jerking over ten thousand dollar watches, and painting everything Gold, and making everything wafer thin... This is what Apple has become?

I don't like it.
It's been like this for the past few years. Where have you been?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I'm not too perturbed by the lack of ports. I feel like the majority of users these days don't use ports all that often.

There is a headphone jack on the other side, they just didn't talk about it.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

teagone posted:

How lovely is the Core M processor compared to an i3/i5/i7? Is it more comparable to the Celeron CPUs used in Chromebooks?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-broadwell-u-first-benchmarks,28342.html

So a decent bit slower than the lower spec mobile i5's, which will even suffer more pushing the higher res screen of the new Macbook.

Overall I fail to see the market for this. It is a bit lighter and thinner than an Air and has a retina display, but costs more and is significantly slower with less ports. I would much rather have seen a Retina Air at this price point.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 9, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's been like this for the past few years. Where have you been?

Apple has been slowly going in this direction, so it's not too much of a surprise, but it's a direction that I don't like. It's gone too far with the Macbook, but at least we still have options.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=51

The multiport dongle is $80.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So we'll be plugging USB stuff into the power brick now?

Are the new iPad and iPhone going to have USB-C and be capable of replacing our desktops?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pfffffft. Haha.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The awesome refurb 13" Macbook Pro I got two weeks ago has two days left when I can return it.

Are the Broadwell chips and magic force track pad really that significant? I mean the prices are about the same, so it would only be $300 more to get the new model.

Part of me is thinking that at this point it really isn't work the exchange hassle.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I kind of like thunderbolt, but no one is developing anything interesting for it. I just can't imagine the squid nightmare of cables emerging from a USB-C all in one port.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Vaporware posted:

I kind of like thunderbolt, but no one is developing anything interesting for it.
Monitors, hard drives, what else do you want?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Monitors, hard drives, what else do you want?

Official External GPU enclosure/dock for my MacBook Air compatible with OS X.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I really like the space grey color and footprint of the new MacBook (12" seems ideal for a travel laptop), but I don't care about how thin it is. If it's supposed to be a laptop you travel with, it makes sense to have more battery life whenever possible. I am way more appreciative of a couple more hours of battery life than I am of a few millimeters.

I also like clicking on my MacBook Pro Retina's touchpad :(

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's weird that the new Macbook is basically what the Macbook Air originally set out to be so now there's a Macbook which is thinner, lighter, and significantly less powerful than a Macbook Air. So what does the Air stand for anymore?

This is why Apple's naming system is dumb.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's weird that the new Macbook is basically what the Macbook Air originally set out to be so now there's a Macbook which is thinner, lighter, and significantly less powerful than a Macbook Air. So what does the Air stand for anymore?

The "air" in MacBook Air now stands for that air gap of wasted space the rectangular batteries leave due to them not being terraced like in the new MacBook.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Is it actually significantly less powerful than MBA?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

Is it actually significantly less powerful than MBA?
Probably not significantly but it's got a weaker processor and has to drive a screen with twice as many pixels.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I feel stupid now. I got my parents an 11" Macbook Air a week ago. They can just take it to an Apple store and get it replaced with the new one, right? Or how does it work?

yes, you can return it for a new model. There are quite a few anecdotes from people returning just outside of the 2 week window too.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
This sounds like the first gen MacBook Air all over again. lovely CPU compared to what's currently out there and a new form factor that looks nice but hurts overall usability because it does away with ports and such. I imagine by the second or third generation technology and how we use it will develop to a point where this new form factor makes sense.

Don't really care for the colors. Don't like gold? Don't buy it. But I'm sure markets like China would love it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Seems fine if you like OSX and want a pretty little email/facebooking laptop, aka 80% of mac owners even if none of them are represented in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Butt Savage posted:

This sounds like the first gen MacBook Air all over again. lovely CPU compared to what's currently out there and a new form factor that looks nice but hurts overall usability because it does away with ports and such. I imagine by the second or third generation technology and how we use it will develop to a point where this new form factor makes sense.

Don't really care for the colors. Don't like gold? Don't buy it. But I'm sure markets like China would love it.

Also Saudi oil barons.