Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Sounds great. The English put Charles Darwin on their money, it owns. I overheard an American get really mad when she saw he was buried at Westminster Abbey when I visited years ago, that was hilarious.
English banknotes are 100% white people though.

55% female across all notes, so I guess there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wasn't it LL101 that had the stupid image macro about how Margaret Sanger was the woman they wanted to put on the 20? I have no idea if anyone actually said that Sanger should be on the 20 or if it was just another LL101 "Liberals think Jackson is bad for genocide on the Indians but Sanger wants genocide too and they think she's awesome!"

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Guavanaut posted:

English banknotes are 100% white people though.

55% female across all notes, so I guess there's that.

So are american dollars. Doesn't mean English notes aren't better with who they actually portray. Relevant:

http://fyeahdavechappelle.tumblr.com/post/22774083578/one-of-the-main-stories-from-the-war-was-that-the

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Holy poo poo, lets get back to political forwards already. I realized I hadn't trawled through the crazy libertarian/MRA/White Oppression guy's page on my facebook recently when he usually provides such great content. I quickly remembered why...

:cripes:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That is one Grumpy White Man you have there, jeez.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Scruff McGruff posted:

Holy poo poo, lets get back to political forwards already. I realized I hadn't trawled through the crazy libertarian/MRA/White Oppression guy's page on my facebook recently when he usually provides such great content. I quickly remembered why...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The sheer variety of things conservative white people on the internet can get mad about is always impressive to me. The only unifying thread I can see to any of it is mean spiritedness, which is pretty much true of LL101 as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The objectives of celebrating an International Men's Day include focusing on men's and boys' health, improving gender relations, promoting gender equality, and highlighting positive male role models.

quote:

Citizens in Trinidad and Tobago were the first to observe IMD on 19 November 1999. The event was conceived and coordinated by Dr. Jerome Teelucksingh from The University of the West Indies at the Families in Action headquarters in Newtown, Port of Spain.
I also can't wait for Google to showcase some predominantly Caribbean men who have spoken out against sexism and violence on November 19th. I think that would be pretty good. I also didn't feel the need to talk about it all over International Women's Day.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Scruff McGruff posted:

What are the odds that Vinny Gret has never voted?

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
This thread's big derails are always great. I know the people involved must get tired of it, but that feminism discussion, for example, helped me to parse my pre existing opinions in more concrete terms.

So this is just to say thanks for putting up with each other's potentially bad opinions. I know myself better for having followed these arguments for the last few years. I wish it didn't take an Internet forum to illuminate my blind spots for me, but I'm just glad it comes in any form.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I overheard an American get really mad when she saw he was buried at Westminster Abbey when I visited years ago, that was hilarious.

I would really like an American conservative tourist stories thread. There's got to be enough of these out there to support one. If it were a general xenophobic/neophobic tourist thread there definitely would be.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Empire State posted:

This thread's big derails are always great. I know the people involved must get tired of it, but that feminism discussion, for example, helped me to parse my pre existing opinions in more concrete terms.

So this is just to say thanks for putting up with each other's potentially bad opinions. I know myself better for having followed these arguments for the last few years. I wish it didn't take an Internet forum to illuminate my blind spots for me, but I'm just glad it comes in any form.

That's basically like...the entire point of debating and discussing, isn't it?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

As always, talking about the way people talk about things is much more interesting than what they actually talk about.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I mostly read this thread and comment since I do not have anything to offer from my competent liberal facebook friends. The only thing I had no interest in was the last derail about communism.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The difference for me is that every viewpoint here is usually thought out and seeking understanding of other views. Very rarely do I experience a discussion IRL where both parties aren't different shades of ghastly insulting each other.

Here it's more like several misguided angels on your shoulder. Out there, it's devils screaming at each other right in your loving ear.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No, the point is to go out of your way to find people who are wrong and bask in their inferiority. Then you subtly convince yourself that they are far more common than they are, and become sullen and pessimistic.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jazu posted:

No, the point is to go out of your way to find people who are wrong and bask in their inferiority. Then you subtly convince yourself that they are far more common than they are, and become sullen and pessimistic.

I never knew I was so good at debating

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

With the recent talk of replacing Jackson on the 20 with a woman, a guy at work will not shut the gently caress up about how replacing ONE dude means we might have to replace more, and why Jackson, huh? All of the old Presidents were horrible people. Jefferson owned slaves, Washington wanted to be a king
Wait, what? Given that he had to be convinced to run for reelection, and retired after two terms, that's awfully hard to believe.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

I don't have a specific FB post for content, but I've mentioned in the past my otherwise-liberal, pro-Israel, Islamophobic friend who is convinced you can't be Islamophobic unless you are literally murdering Muslims. His new thing is to post an article about some atrocity committed by a militant group, and then comment with, "But that's just their CULTURE. It would be RACIST to discuss it!!"

It's irritating as hell how good he's gotten at knocking down strawmen of his own design. I've asked him who he thinks he's arguing with before, and got the reply, "Oh, you'd be surprised how many SJWs are out there." I'm pretty sure he got called a racist one time on the Internet for making fun of a lady in a hijab or something super edgy and cool like that.

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus

Nth Doctor posted:

This was posted on Facebook by the woman who used to own my home before it got foreclosed.

She is literally homeless and posting anti-welfare memes. I just don't understand this mindset.

My aunt just posted this and I'm really tempted to explain to her how social security IS welfare.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

TheJunkyardGod posted:

My aunt just posted this and I'm really tempted to explain to her how social security IS welfare.

You're not going to convince her because she's already convinced of her superiority to the Others. She worked hard for her welfare which doesn't make it welfare but those that didn't work like her are life sucking mooches that deserve scorn and possibly death.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

Our just God decides who gets welfare by only letting the best of his children live long enough for social security.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Derailing the derail: I was reading The Inlander (Alternative weekly based out of Spokane) and saw this article talking about the decrease in students going to college from Idaho and the Pacific Northwest but the article was mostly talking about Idaho in general. The thing that annoyed me the most was that people (read: conservatives) have been so successful in demonizing the idea of liberal arts and colleges - that they will teach their kids non-conservative ideas - that some organizations have started referring to education after high school as 'postsecondary education' to get students and their right leaning parents to promote education and sign off for grants/financial aid/etc.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Probably not the most outright awful thing in the thread but this seems rather clueless to me:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Rick_Hunter posted:

that some organizations have started referring to education after high school as 'postsecondary education' to get students and their right leaning parents to promote education and sign off for grants/financial aid/etc.

I'm pretty sure that is because "post-secondary education" more inclusive of other types of training, not to fool conservatives.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

Probably not the most outright awful thing in the thread but this seems rather clueless to me:

No you see, your only purpose in life is to validate me. If you respond right away, you don't love me.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

Eh this is mostly true though? I contract for four different companies right now which basically means I work seven days a week sometimes 12+ hours a day and I still make time for the handful of people I want to see and use "I'm too busy" for any activities or people I don't really want to dedicate time to. I think it's meant as advice for people hanging on to bad friends, exes or people they want to date who clearly aren't interested and it's really not bad advice.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Eh this is mostly true though? I contract for four different companies right now which basically means I work seven days a week sometimes 12+ hours a day and I still make time for the handful of people I want to see and use "I'm too busy" for any activities or people I don't really want to dedicate time to. I think it's meant as advice for people hanging on to bad friends, exes or people they want to date who clearly aren't interested and it's really not bad advice.

it implies that other people are at fault for not meeting your expectation of a relationship through whatever frequency of communication you desire. you don't know what's going on in their lives nor do you know what/how they establish priorities about what to do with their time. it also sort of implies that the burden of a relationship is on other people to make contact with, and validate, you

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
A long-time dormant Facebook friend from high school recently decided to unleash a torrent of poo poo posts out of nowhere today, after like 4 years of silence.

I have a lot of tolerance for stupid poo poo among people on my FB, but I had to :commissar: this guy.

Also, what would possess a person to like each and every one of their own posts?

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

Narcissism.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Also, what would possess a person to like each and every one of their own posts?
Not understanding Facebook.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

UV_Catastrophe posted:

:circlefap:

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Incredibly dumb people think this increases the reach of the post.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I got into a discussion with a person who is an teacher union chairman about Common Core. She opposes it and I support many aspects of it. She said about Common Core that "these standards are not internationally benchmarked, direct instruction time is being lost. I testified in the PARCC hearing and have heard Dr. Sandra Stotsky who refused to sign off on the standards. She was on the original validation committee. She found them to be developmentally inappropriate, and I agree."

I asked her why she thought they were not internationally benchmarked and why direct instruction time was being lost.

I got this as a response to my comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjxBClx01jc

Home School :bahgawd:

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 10, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/AdamBaldwin/status/572284675470671872/photo/1

So Bernie Sanders...a person who is Jewish...is apparently...Anti-Semitic....via not attending a speech?

o...kay.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Checked on my cousin's feed for some gold. Between MJ legalization and motorcycle memes fun stuff like the following gets posted:

GUNS!

An oldie but a goodie (Soldiers vs Min Wage) It was surprising to see sane replies in the original image post.

And naturally, be childish and put a pants-making GBS threads, draft-dodging, pedophile, on a pedestal because GUNS!

I'm furious, are you guys furious?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamBaldwin/status/572284675470671872/photo/1

So Bernie Sanders...a person who is Jewish...is apparently...Anti-Semitic....via not attending a speech?

o...kay.

Yarmuth and Schakowsky are Joos also.

Al franken did not attend, and is a Joo.

Schatz

Cohen

The list is full of Joos.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Kinda funny given that you actually gain an hour when you set it back. But yeah, that's probably :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

PupsOfWar posted:

Yarmuth and Schakowsky are Joos also.

Al franken did not attend, and is a Joo.

Schatz

Cohen

The list is full of Joos.

Oh but you see, they are still antisemitic, they're just race trait--, I mean self-hating! :downs: