Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Store is up, with watch prices.

Gold ones go up to $17k. $10k only gets you plastic band.
Stainless steel with link bracelet is $999. $1099 for black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Paul Allen posted:

SO wait, can the bands "made" for the regular watch not be used on the Sport watch? I'd think the bands can be used on any watch, correct?

I was under the impression they could. It was the materials that the actual "watch" is made out of that differentiate. I thought they all used the same lug.

(I could have missed something though...)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

smackfu posted:

Store is up, with watch prices.

Gold ones go up to $17k. $10k only gets you plastic band.
Stainless steel with link bracelet is $999. $1099 for black.

lol

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay

Selane posted:

Oh man, that page with goons screaming about $1000 for a watch being too much after Tim announced that it's 10k is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

link?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

RVProfootballer posted:

lol keep going

um... gold is expensive?? :confused: not sure where the disconnect here. gold is expensive

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
10K for a watch that is going to be obsolete next year is total overkill...

Actually, $400 for a watch that is going to be obsolete next year is a bad deal too.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
drat I was hoping for iPad pro news.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

horse mans posted:

i know, it's so shillish for me to expect things made of solid gold to be expensive. that drat reality distortion field

horse mans posted:

um... gold is expensive?? :confused: not sure where the disconnect here. gold is expensive

Yeah, but it's not actual solid gold. It's Apple's "gold" synthesized material. I would agree with you if it were, and as I said, the steel model has the dumbest pricing by far.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rabble posted:

10K for a watch that is going to be obsolete next year is total overkill...

Actually, $400 for a watch that is going to be obsolete next year is a bad deal too.

I'm sure the new 2016 mickey mouse watch faces will be backwards compatible, so I'm not sure what you mean about it being obsolete in a year

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Pindakaas posted:

drat I was hoping for iPad pro news.

They did...its call the new MacBook. It has a 1.1Ghz Core M, a keyboard, and one single port.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Band prices: http://store.apple.com/us/watch/watch-accessories

$50 for plastic.
$150 for Milanese loop.
$150 or $250 for leather.
$450 for metal link.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Is this the place where I can talk about the Pebble I just backed?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Buy a watch, or just the band for the watch, for the same price! What a loving steal

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Charger not included*

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Logikv9 posted:

Buy a watch, or just the band for the watch, for the same price! What a loving steal

um... steel is expensive?? :confused: not sure where the disconnect here. steel is expensive

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Smartwatches are a joke. Let's be real here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The only thing this thing is good for is bankrolling and ironing out the bugs for the 2nd-3rd gen.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

RVProfootballer posted:

um... steel is expensive?? :confused: not sure where the disconnect here. steel is expensive

But it's not just steel, it's this special Apple "synthesized" alloy called "stainless", that no one has done before!

Oh, wait...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

RVProfootballer posted:

Which is why they make soup cans out of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FYI, the Apple Store App has actual size pictures if you want to get an idea of how it would fit you.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
There is a 59$ tax on it being black? Wow. I am not One to complain about Apple pricing. Noone is forcing you to buy. Still some things just feel like highway robbery.... On top of it The One i like is The 42mm watch with link bracelet and I am not going to pay more than my Phone costs for an accessory

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
You're paying for the ancient and righteous simple chainmail band.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Endless Mike posted:

FYI, the Apple Store App has actual size pictures if you want to get an idea of how it would fit you.

You can even print those out to make the Apple Watch Air!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I'm wondering how they'll go about announcing the price for the Edition. I know that to a large subset of the population spending upwards of $10k on a watch isn't exactly a huge deal but with just how public and viral the press conferences have become it'll be interesting to see if they actually put a number to it, and if so, how much of a backlash that will cause with the casual / white-noise crowd. Having them only available at select high end jewelry stores would help divert some of that attention (as opposed to placing it along side the other models in the online store), but this still feels like something that annoying people will freak out about.
I was right. lol

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The biggest takeaway from the Apple Watch is the $10k gold watch is now the new funniest way to laugh at ultra rich white people. China and Korea will love the shiny gold watch too, and it'll be equally hilarious. Metallurgists have been speculating that Apple could be making upwards of $5k net profit on each watch too, so they'll be laughing all the way to record profits eclipsing last record quarter. So funny.

Otherwise, smart watches are a total joke "ooh, shiny" fad that will be dead within 3-5 years. In addition, the Pebble Time (and current Pebble watches) are superior to what Apple has to offer. They're genuinely innovating on pointless technology at a much cheaper price point. Android watches are competitive and often superior too. Basically, Apple is repackaging Android watches with a shiny coat of paint. I'm sure Apple Watch will sell extremely well and all, of course, since it's an Apple product. That's always the case. But Apple is way behind their competition this time, unlike the original iPad/iPhone, where they were reinventing a very young market sector.

The awful single day battery life is the Apple double standard as usual. The mass market isn't going to complain and everyone will still buy it. But everyone was ragging onMotorola and other Android manufacturers nonstop on having poor battery life... and the Pebble Time has nearly a week of battery life. What a joke.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 9, 2015

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
From the apple watch store page...

"**Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant. "

IPX7 - Withstands incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes.

You would think for a watch that has no need to ever be opened and has wireless charging they would waterproof it.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
I have a feeling the 3rd party Apple Watch band market is going to be a robust one

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

If you had 10 grand you were specifically going to spend on a watch why wouldn't you just get a Rolex? In that upper echelon of people with money the Rolex guy will likely laugh at the Apple Watch guy.

The Rolex will also actually be worth something in 20 years. Anyone interested in buying a first generation iPhone? Exactly.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Rabble posted:

From the apple watch store page...

"**Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant. "

IPX7 - Withstands incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes.

You would think for a watch that has no need to ever be opened and has wireless charging they would waterproof it.

Putting money on the 2nd Gen watch being waterproof, or there being a waterproof option.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Killer Queen posted:

Otherwise, smart watches are a total joke "ooh, shiny" fad that will be dead within 3-5 years. In addition, the Pebble Time (and current Pebble watches) are superior to what Apple has to offer. Android watches are competitive and often superior too. Basically, Apple is repackaging Android watches with a shiny coat of paint. I'm sure Apple Watch will sell extremely well and all, of course, since it's an Apple product. That's always the case. But Apple is way behind their competition this time, unlike the original iPad/iPhone, where they were reinventing a very young market sector.

The watch's SDK alone will ensure that it is far, far superior to anything on Android, but I agree with all your other points. I wish the Pebble had more support (it's good, not great), because I think it is the best hardware out there.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Apple is going to make so much money off the 10k model and that's hilarious and stupid.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

If you had 10 grand you were specifically going to spend on a watch why wouldn't you just get a Rolex? In that upper echelon of people with money the Rolex guy will likely laugh at the Apple Watch guy.

The Rolex will also actually be worth something in 20 years. Anyone interested in buying a first generation iPhone? Exactly.
drat you figured it out. Selling all my Apple stock right now. Thanks.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'm surprised that there is ZERO differentiation between the three models outside of the case. Why would I pay for anything more than the sport version?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
That 10K at least nets you 1 year more of warranty than the standard watches.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004
Weird, the sport models come with 2 (small and large) bands but the cheap stainless model that comes with a plastic band only has one. If you get a plastic band separately you get the 2 sizes too.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
While Jony Ive may have a voice born of the reality distortion field, it doesn't make up for the fact that it field generator was buried with Jobs.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

just_a_guy posted:

There is a 59$ tax on it being black? Wow. I am not One to complain about Apple pricing. Noone is forcing you to buy. Still some things just feel like highway robbery.... On top of it The One i like is The 42mm watch with link bracelet and I am not going to pay more than my Phone costs for an accessory

The black sport one is the same price as the silver one. Gruber predicted black ones would cost more because the old BlackBooks, but he was wrong.

The only price differences between the sport models is the size difference.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Chortle posted:

The black sport one is the same price as the silver one. Gruber predicted black ones would cost more because the old BlackBooks, but he was wrong.

The only price differences between the sport models is the size difference.
He's talking about the steel.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

The watch's SDK alone will ensure that it is far, far superior to anything on Android, but I agree with all your other points. I wish the Pebble had more support (it's good, not great), because I think it is the best hardware out there.

Most people are never going to use the 9000 different niche apps on their smart watch, so it's kind of irrelevant beyond tech nerds like everyone posting in this thread. The vast majority of mainstream consumers will use their Apple Watch to reply to texts, check their notifications for sports scores/email/weather/stocks/etc, and maybe use the fitness features if they don't have a Fitbit. That's it for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Man.

I may need to get a sport. The fact that I can send my location to my wife with a single click while I'm on the bike is huge. Doubly so when I'm doing 10-20hrs+/week on the bike.

All other features are pretty ho-hum but that is pretty awesome for me.

• Locked thread