Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

He's talking about the steel.

Although I will say that there is a long history of charging more for PVD / black steel watches. And they don't even wear that well, since the coating scratches off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Walked posted:

Man.

I may need to get a sport. The fact that I can send my location to my wife with a single click while I'm on the bike is huge. Doubly so when I'm doing 10-20hrs+/week on the bike.

All other features are pretty ho-hum but that is pretty awesome for me.

Can't you just use Find My Friends and your iPhone?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

If you had 10 grand you were specifically going to spend on a watch why wouldn't you just get a Rolex? In that upper echelon of people with money the Rolex guy will likely laugh at the Apple Watch guy.

The Rolex will also actually be worth something in 20 years. Anyone interested in buying a first generation iPhone? Exactly.

Also yeah, lots of people are totally missing how real watch enthusiasts who buy Rolexes and the like look at smart watches as a toy. That's really what smart watches are, despite the cries of thousands of sweaty nerds out there. Expensive toys. They aren't actual usage devices like phones or tablets.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel subconscious about using Passbook and Apple Pay with my phone. I'm happy to slide down the adoption curve a bit until it is less socially novel to strap a computer to my wrist.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So, can you charge the Macbook while using the USB port for something else, or do you have to choose?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
For a minute I thought they were replacing the old MacBook Pro with this new MacBook and was really annoyed. Kinda bummed that they didn't announce a bigger hard drive in the MBP.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
I am on The market for a fitness tracker. I really enjoy tracking my Gym performances etc. And healthkit integration is a plus but at The prices they are proposing The only One i am even considering is The black sport. Tais is One perchaste that unless i vet a massive bonus Will wait for gen2. I Will rather spend on The bragi dash (if there are fitness buffs here check it Out) Its got me excited

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Bottom Liner posted:

Charger not included*

Is this accurate?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Vintimus Prime posted:

Is this accurate?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think it's actually hilarious that the HBO Now and new Macbook (the new model, not just the general refresh) are bigger news (to me anyway). If I was in the market for a laptop, I'd be really hard pressed to choose between Apple's options (an impossibly thin Macbook or a still-really-thin but more powerful Macbook Air).

I wasn't the target market for a watch anyway but I had hoped, as The Verge guy commented, to see if Apple could produce a strong answer for the "Why" of the Watch. As it stands, outside of a few niche applications, it's just a really expensive toy that also extends your phone to something you wear on your person. That's kinda the definition of a regular watch (the toy part) but you'd expect for a smart watch to do something more. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd gens will prove the answer to the "Why".

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Vintimus Prime posted:

Is this accurate?

No.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Yes, they're selling a device with a very specific charger that you must buy separately.

Apple can charge crazy prices but they're not monsters

Apple Watch Sport
What’s in the box
Apple Watch
Magnetic charging cable
USB power adapter
Two bands
Quick start guide

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Killer Queen posted:

Most people are never going to use the 9000 different niche apps on their smart watch, so it's kind of irrelevant beyond tech nerds like everyone posting in this thread. The vast majority of mainstream consumers will use their Apple Watch to reply to texts, check their notifications for sports scores/email/weather/stocks/etc, and maybe use the fitness features if they don't have a Fitbit. That's it for the most part.

A lot of people said the same kinds of things about the iphone before the app store existed, and we all know how much of a game changer that was. The runaway success of the app store alone proves your point invalid.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm happy that there's only a single port adapter on the store instead of any kind of hub, it's really taking advantage of type c: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...f777d7242229199

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
He was replying in reference to the Apple Watch, which makes his question even more hilarious.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Bottom Liner posted:

A lot of people said the same kinds of things about the iphone before the app store existed, and we all know how much of a game changer that was. The runaway success of the app store alone proves your point invalid.

We already know there are apps. The watch just gives us new ways of using these apps. Some useful (passbook), some pretty impractical (instagram). They still failed, imo, to prove to a skeptic like myself why I should buy an apple watch.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
AppleCare+ similar to the iPhone and iPad

Every Apple Watch Sport comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for Apple Watch Sport extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your Apple Watch Sport and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee plus applicable tax.

Extend your coverage to two years of service and expert telephone technical support.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Too bad they didn't make the adapter end of the charge cable USB instead of USB-C. Then you could use the same adapter to charge your iPhone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ShoogaSlim posted:

We already know there are apps. The watch just gives us new ways of using these apps. Some useful (passbook), some pretty impractical (instagram). They still failed, imo, to prove to a skeptic like myself why I should buy an apple watch.

I agree, but to say that "most people won't use apps on it" is pretty ridiculous.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
According to the Watch site, it's got IPX7 water resistance certification. Kinda weird they didn't highlight that...

Also, the 18 battery life estimate includes about 45 minutes of app usage time which feels very substantial...Just using it for checking the time yields two days. They got detailed estimates here: http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

just_a_guy posted:

I am on The market for a fitness tracker. I really enjoy tracking my Gym performances etc. And healthkit integration is a plus but at The prices they are proposing The only One i am even considering is The black sport. Tais is One perchaste that unless i vet a massive bonus Will wait for gen2. I Will rather spend on The bragi dash (if there are fitness buffs here check it Out) Its got me excited

Have You considered that This might not be A Product for You?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

shodanjr_gr posted:

According to the Watch site, it's got IPX7 water resistance certification. Kinda weird they didn't highlight that...

Also, the 18 battery life estimate includes about 45 minutes of app usage time which feels very substantial...Just using it for checking the time yields two days. They got detailed estimates here: http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html.

If you're buying a >$349 dollar smartwatch you better be using it for something other than time.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
So something I'd love to see is a breakdown of the Apple Watch vs other smart watches out there. I know there's been some Pebble love here already but the Pebble doesn't have a color screen, correct? And how does the Retina screen on the AW compare to other smart watches? The same? Worse? Better?

I just don't know enough about smart watches to know this kind of stuff. I could find it all on Google but then it wouldn't have that tasty, tasty goon flair I love so much.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

just_a_guy posted:

You should probably go to the hospital because it appears that you are having a stroke.

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003
$519 for the 42mm Sport in Canada. I know our dollar sucks but ouch.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Kobayashi posted:

You should probably go to the hospital because it appears that you are having a stroke.
If only he were wearing an Apple Watch it would have detected his stroke through a combination of the heart rate monitor and gyroscopic data and called for help.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Paul Allen posted:

So something I'd love to see is a breakdown of the Apple Watch vs other smart watches out there. I know there's been some Pebble love here already but the Pebble doesn't have a color screen, correct? And how does the Retina screen on the AW compare to other smart watches? The same? Worse? Better?

I just don't know enough about smart watches to know this kind of stuff. I could find it all on Google but then it wouldn't have that tasty, tasty goon flair I love so much.

The Pebble Time will have a color screen and a new OS.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

If you're buying a >$349 dollar smartwatch you better be using it for something other than time.

Yes. But if you are spending 45 minutes of your day actively inside a watch app, then you should have probably pulled out your phone any way. My point is that 18 hours is actually a very conservative estimate.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Bottom Liner posted:

I agree, but to say that "most people won't use apps on it" is pretty ridiculous.

People who buy an Apple Watch will most certainly browse Instagram on it. I'm not saying dumb apps won't be used I'm just saying they're dumb (on a watch)

Somehow I can see Snapchat working much better on the watch than Instagram. Twitter seems to have an ideal format as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ShoogaSlim posted:

People who buy an Apple Watch will most certainly browse Instagram on it. I'm not saying dumb apps won't be used I'm just saying they're dumb (on a watch)

Somehow I can see Snapchat working much better on the watch than Instagram. Twitter seems to have an ideal format as well.

Why wouldn't you just use your phone for twitter, instagram, or snapchat though?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

Except the 90 million!!!!! apps boasting is nothing but marketing nonsense effectively, since most iPhone/iPad users never use 99% of the cool apps beyond their latest Facebook games, Netflix, and Tinder. You've just proven my point. It really doesn't matter how supported the app ecosystem is for a given device when that isn't why consumers buy them. If a smart watch reads off your email subject headers and shows notifications for sports and stocks in an intuitive, easy to grasp way, then that's most of what the mass market (your uncle, sister, and dad) wants and needs. It's super cool to have a greater library of apps for tech enthusiasts, but that's not what moves units.

The other focal point of why it's irrelevant is because a smart watch still isn't truly useful. It's an expensive toy. A wide variety of sweet apps isn't as applicable on a watch vs. my iPhone. Why do I need a device on my wrist to do the same things that my phone does and still dies after a day of usage?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 9, 2015

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Logikv9 posted:

People pay as much if not more than that for a regular watch that just tells time. And not even fancy Swiss watches with automatic movements but plain old quartz watches.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShoogaSlim posted:

Maybe it's just the people I follow, but Twitter these days is overrun by screen caps with highlighted text, which is an obnoxious workaround for sharing short bits of content that happens to be longer that 140 characters.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

gret posted:

People pay as much if not more than that for a regular watch that just tells time. And not even fancy Swiss watches with automatic movements but plain old quartz watches.

Watches can last decades, so the price comparison doesn't mean much.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

Hace posted:

I'm happy that there's only a single port adapter on the store instead of any kind of hub, it's really taking advantage of type c: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...f777d7242229199

I was wondering the same thing but I stumbled upon this (1x hdmi, 1x usb 3.1, 1x usb-c): http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

teagone posted:

Why wouldn't you just use your phone for twitter, instagram, or snapchat though?

Because you spent $1099 on a watch to do those things for 45 minutes each day before the battery dies

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

shodanjr_gr posted:

Yes. But if you are spending 45 minutes of your day actively inside a watch app, then you should have probably pulled out your phone any way. My point is that 18 hours is actually a very conservative estimate.

I don't believe so. While they are actively pushing the "glance" aspect of the watch, its still a lot of things at a time to glance at. Additionally, reading emails, sending texts, sketching dicks and sending heartbeats all add up. I think most people's watches will be dead by the end of the day, if not earlier.

And yes, people buy plain watches for that price all the time. But those are fashion accessories, and there are hundreds of them to choose from... I know Apple is pushing the fashion aspect but still. Its still the internals of a $349 watch in a >$10k version.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

tropical posted:

I was wondering the same thing but I stumbled upon this (1x hdmi, 1x usb 3.1, 1x usb-c): http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

What's funny is that dongle costs more than an Apple TV.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

tropical posted:

Oh wow. That's basically all I need at work. It'd be nice to only plug in one thing when I get to my desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Super Dude posted:

Watches can last decades, so the price comparison doesn't mean much.

So will the Apple Watch, especially if you're happy with just using it to tell time. Remember, quartz watches also need periodic battery replacements.

• Locked thread