Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

wayfinder posted:

Worry not, chrome now supports pixelated canvas upscale. (Since 41)

What about Firefox, or, god forbid, IE? Also I don't know how well this interacts with WebGL. I know Phaser can do WebGL or only canvas rendering, but after years in the Flash ghetto it felt so nice to be able to use something with hardware acceleration or the capacity for it for once. Granted I suppose fancy fragment shaders and pixel art are probably not things to ever be mixed, but.

I should probably shut up about web game frameworks and post pixel art with an updated palette soon. Maybe post a gif of how the game looks now here, but, uh, not sure if I'm already derailing everything too much. Just seems too much fretting over visuals for the gamedev threads, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Firefox doesn't, and the devs think pixel art is stupid so they aren't willing to make it configurable.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You might be able to cheat and use a bit of css

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/image-rendering

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
I should be working but I will find any reason to procrastinate so here's a few gifs of the game with all its awful animations and palette so far (which I swear to god in my next post I will actually work towards changing via incorporating the advice and tips I've been given):

As you might be able to tell there's a fair few significant AI bugs and horribly unfinished animations/improperly used animations hanging over from the LD29 entry I made last April. Also I have just had the sickening realisation that I sank three or four days into something really unfun.

There is significantly less actual game here than I remember from the Ludum Dare entry. Hm. I think maybe I should go back to the drawing board on this one. Thanks for the advice everyone but uh I think I need to seriously think how much of this can be salvaged. I posted stuff here thinking this could work but I think I need to tear everything down and start over.

Cirrial fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 7, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Chipp Zanuff posted:

It's looking quite smooth and well uh animated! How many frames is that just out of interest?

I've been trying to restrict myself in terms of frames (or at least not letting myself get carried away making too many), whilst still making the animation fluid.

Bleah I should check back more often, both my run and my idle cycles are 8 frames, any less tend to look too jerky for me.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Gotta keep the pixel art thread at the top!

a few items from the Game I'm working on, and ships

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Coldrice posted:

Gotta keep the pixel art thread at the top!

I think I killed it with my year old rushed sprite work. I'll, uh, refrain from posting in future.

It's not just that there's a lobster gun. I just want to know what the hell a lobster gun fires. Bubbles? Lightning arcs? Pinches very nearby enemies and gives them a nasty nip?

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Cirrial posted:

It's not just that there's a lobster gun. I just want to know what the hell a lobster gun fires. Bubbles? Lightning arcs? Pinches very nearby enemies and gives them a nasty nip?

Ha ha I just thought it was silly :p It's based on http://efc.wikia.com/wiki/Skrill

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I love item sheets! I used to poke away at one as a way of decompressing during university. Kept expanding the canvas size to fit more things in.

This past week I put together another dungeon crawl tileset. Pretty simple aesthetic. I wanted it to look like cast concrete slabs that are being held together in part by metallic strapping.

I'm mulling over ideas for the next set. Maybe I'll make an attempt at a wood panel theme. With huge paintings hung.

A Lebbeus Woods plywood claptrap would be cool too.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Scut posted:

I love item sheets! I used to poke away at one as a way of decompressing during university. Kept expanding the canvas size to fit more things in.

This past week I put together another dungeon crawl tileset. Pretty simple aesthetic. I wanted it to look like cast concrete slabs that are being held together in part by metallic strapping.

I'm mulling over ideas for the next set. Maybe I'll make an attempt at a wood panel theme. With huge paintings hung.

A Lebbeus Woods plywood claptrap would be cool too.

If I ever keep working on my ~dream rpg~, I'm going to use that style. It looks so nice!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

SystemLogoff posted:

If I ever keep working on my ~dream rpg~, I'm going to use that style. It looks so nice!

Those diagonal tiles are a great idea to create a distinct unified style. I should try that some time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've been sick as hell this week, so I'm having to rework all the terrible animation I did during it. But I did manage to brighten the ever living poo poo out of my palette

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
Sweet. I like detective shark. Also that eyepatch looks clearly like an eyepatch to me now.

Saturation for palettes is something I'm still trying to wrap my head around but these all pop really well. I imagine they'd look good on darker, desaturated backgrounds.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Allowing myself exactly two hours a day to make something for #7DRL, thought it came out kinda neat:

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
Yeah that's pretty drat neat. Is there going to be a character on the rectangle or is the rectangle the character?

e: On first glance, missed the building-up fade in for discovered tiles, that is subtle but that is nice.

Cirrial fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 9, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Testing crap

the chaos engine posted:

Allowing myself exactly two hours a day to make something for #7DRL, thought it came out kinda neat:

God drat look at this

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

the chaos engine posted:

I always always always love your palette choices. Never change ever mr. engine.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Cirrial posted:

Yeah that's pretty drat neat. Is there going to be a character on the rectangle or is the rectangle the character?

Thomas Was Alone: Roguelike Edition. Yeah it's just gonna be rectangles for the player, enemies, and items. I figure I have very limited time to work on this, plus it might be interesting, I think. Started out as a purely sylistic thing but now I'm thinking about the possibilities... Bosses taking up multiple tiles, long and wide enemies etc.

Also cheers on spotting the build-up, nice one.

No one has mentioned it but my favourite detail is the rectangle-walks-down-the-stairs animation.

poemdexter posted:

I always always always love your palette choices. Never change ever mr. engine.

This is actually the first palette I ever made completely myself from scratch! Most of the time I yell at Scut to make me one.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

the chaos engine posted:

This is actually the first palette I ever made completely myself from scratch! Most of the time I yell at Scut to make me one.

Yah I get you and Scut mixed up all the time because of the colors and pixel art.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
We're p much the same person at this point.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

the chaos engine posted:

No one has mentioned it but my favourite detail is the rectangle-walks-down-the-stairs animation.

I had noticed it and that's what made me think the rectangle was a footprint thing and not the actual character, but everything is rectangles is a pretty fun idea too. Yeah, I'm no stranger to jam time restrictions. Also, yeah, echoing the palette niceness. Very nice work with so few shades.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Everyone should yell at Scut for colours

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On this topic, are there palette-design/selection tools/aids/resources out there y'all might know about I don't?

Fridtjof Nansen
Jun 12, 2013

People find it difficult to resist your persuasive manner.

MikeJF posted:

On this topic, are there palette-design/selection tools/aids/resources out there y'all might know about I don't?

Adobe Color/Kuler is cool and you can play around with the different color rules to create palettes: https://color.adobe.com/

They also have ones people have published you can look at.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
I made my weirdly segregated palette by abusing a tool that can be used for far better results than what I came up with. It's called Palette gently caress, it's some weird AIR based app that'll probably end up impossible to run within a few years because lord knows Flash is looking less and less healthy each year.

Palette gently caress is on GitHub, and I can't find the original place I found the original tool, so it might have already been lost to the ages. The general idea was you would put down a colours in a grid and use arrow keys and it'd calculate the appropriate colour steps to a given highlight hue or shadow hue depending. You can set up the highlight colour (white dot) and the shadow colour (black dot) by clicking on the colour palette thing, but to actually change the cell colours you use the sliders. You can also blend to a colour above or below the line you're working with.

In the hands of a skilled artist it could be a powerful tool, or you can be me, make two saturation/value gradients based off of two base colours, then make a gradient between the two base colours and call it a day.

Edit: A direct link to the actual SWF not based on AIR is here: https://github.com/Tummyache/Palette-gently caress/blob/master/PaletteFuck/bin/PaletteFuck.swf

You need to click "View Raw", and then it'll download and you can use it if you have Flash Player installed, or maybe you can drag it onto a browser if you don't have a standalone Flash Player installed. I haven't been able to find this anywhere else.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I used to play with this palette maker I found on the TIGSource Forums. It has a kinda 'visual programming' interface that leads to some neat ideas.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=13201.0

I think automated tools are great often as a starting point, and if you carry that prefabricated palette forward and adjust it manually you can get dramatic results.

Feels like your shading is getting stronger! I would recommend you try replacing some large swathes of the brick and cobblestone with flat tones and use the textures in patches and lit areas to remind the viewer of the overall texture.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Here's an example of a palette that I just made with a tool. It's fun, but even after some quick tweaks the flaws come through when I try to paint something with it. Namely it's lacking in enough steps of value. From something like this I would go in and make some serious manual adjustments. Maybe throw out some colours entirely in favour of something that has more usefulness and breaks the 'gradient'.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

the chaos engine posted:

That's really cool, I don't think I've seen anything like it before.

MikeJF posted:

I normally just have a saturated blue + a desaturated but widely hue-shifted ramp :mrgw:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Since we're talking about palette's here is mine (included a grayscale version as well):

I've been using it for sometime now with very little change, so i was thinking i should probably do something to it, even if it's just smaller changes. It's currently 31 colours (33 with black and white).

In regards to the colours this is probably a strange self-critique but i was also wondering if anyone else shared similar views on it:

I'm a bit stuck on trying to expand the reds; they always end up looking too saturated for me and lack any sort of colour shifting. I'll probably darken the 2nd lightest colour (between the year and orange) since it seems to blend too much with both nearby colours. I should probably remove it, but i've been wanting a colour to sort of bridge the gap between orange and yellow.

I don't really find myself using the lightest blue alot, I'll probably try to find a away to make a light, blueish-gray, although i am worried that might through off the entire blue ramp, barring that removing the second lightest. Should i perhaps hue shift it more towards teal near the darker colours? Right now it feels sort of boring in terms of colour progression, even if it does do it's job decently. The latter comment also applies to the gray palette, i should really try to add some blue into it.

I have the same problem with the green palette; I don't really find myself using the 2nd lightest colour much (usually going from 1st and 3rd) so i could probably remove it. My thinking at the time was that it was too much of a jump light and dark without it.

Purple ramp could probably do with a colour inbetween the lighest and 2nd colour, unless anyone think's it's not too much of a jump?

I'm okay with brown, although it leaves something to be desired when using it for skin tones, im a bit hesitant to add loads of new colours just for that purpose however.

Pik
Jan 22, 2015

the chaos engine posted:

Huh, this looks pretty drat cool. Great use of dithering.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Cheers Pik!

Today's progress: Figured out how to add text that changes depending on context so I'm having some fun w that:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
this looks cool and the minimalism is nice, but don't you think it would look more cool to add some nice fat isometric sprites into it?

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Yeah, sure, it's just due to time constraints.

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

the chaos engine posted:

Yeah, sure, it's just due to time constraints.

Maybe add them after 7DRL? You'd have no time constraints then.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
You all need to shut up with the add-on suggestions or else our pet twitter project will never get coded.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Seriously I wanna walk around in those halls already. Or I'll just end up making things in tiled on my own and dreaming.

Speaking of tiled

Scut posted:

I used to play with this palette maker I found on the TIGSource Forums. It has a kinda 'visual programming' interface that leads to some neat ideas.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=13201.0

I think automated tools are great often as a starting point, and if you carry that prefabricated palette forward and adjust it manually you can get dramatic results.

Feels like your shading is getting stronger! I would recommend you try replacing some large swathes of the brick and cobblestone with flat tones and use the textures in patches and lit areas to remind the viewer of the overall texture.

I will try this!

edit: Like so?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 12, 2015

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yes! That's so much better for hierarchy. I would do the same with the brick walls too.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Still plugging away.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
Still working on Jack B. Nimble updates. Feeling like I'll be moving onto another game soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

I'm a bit late, but I wanted to say I prefer your new sharkman to the old one. It actually looks like a shark now. :v:

Keep up the great work!

I like this a lot, but the screen shake when he hits those lampposts is slightly unnerving. There's so much going on already, rain, flashing lightning, trees rushing past in the foreground, to have those sudden shakes puts it over the top in my opinion. I thought it was a glitch or something at first, or some artifact from the looping. I feel like I'm about to have a seizure. :psyduck:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 14, 2015