Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
For some reason repeating that line really tickles my fancy. It's surprisingly versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I really want to know what the other cartoonists advised Bok to do, for or against. The attorney marketing coordinator who sent tumblr the request works for Bok's syndicate, Creators, so they're involved on his behalf if not in his decision.

Reminds me, I was catching up on Joe Heller and :laffo:

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Saint Sputnik posted:

I really want to know what the other cartoonists advised Bok to do, for or against. The attorney marketing coordinator who sent tumblr the request works for Bok's syndicate, Creators, so they're involved on his behalf if not in his decision.

Reminds me, I was catching up on Joe Heller and :laffo:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Let the record show that, like Bok, I am a mad whitey.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
I figured "Are you Chinese?" was in reference to the Chinese hackings recently, and Bok is dumb enough to think that slapping some new words into a speech bubble is "hacking" his cartoons.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mr. Vile posted:

I figured "Are you Chinese?" was in reference to the Chinese hackings recently, and Bok is dumb enough to think that slapping some new words into a speech bubble is "hacking" his cartoons.

:tinfoil: How else could he possibly have gotten access to such a perfect copy of that art? :tinfoil:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Lost in Bokchat, let's not forget what today is!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Maybe Bok thinks that "hacking" means "to make a cartoon" because he's never bothered to look up what it means when people keep calling him a "hack."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

seiferguy posted:

Lost in Bokchat, let's not forget what today is!

A happy day!

... what is Carping?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

A happy day!

... what is Carping?

Like nagging but more aggressive.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

WarpedNaba posted:

A happy day!

... what is Carping?

I'm not sure if it's a joke I'm missing, but it's 'complaining and blaming a lot, often about trivial issues'.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The perspective on the arm / balcony / bon-bon box is seriously messing with me.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Huh, even in Australia, they demonize their opponents by portraying them as popular characters.
It is wonderfully creepy, and I do like the big pile of Angry Birdshit keeping that balloon aloft, though.

Did this cartoonist mean to Escher that changing room, or did he go full Muir and lose his mind after drawing some tits?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

redstormpopcorn posted:

I knew that name sounded familiar, that's one of my favorite depictions of Death.

Death loooooooves his job!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Sandpuppy posted:

Huh, even in Australia, they demonize their opponents by portraying them as popular characters.
It is wonderfully creepy, and I do like the big pile of Angry Birdshit keeping that balloon aloft, though.

There's a Canberra Balloon festival. There was a Yoda and an Angry Bird. So it's a "thing happened" as a starting point for a criticism of the government's intergenerational report ignoring and misderiecting about climate change and acceptance of this oversight in the report. Also, all the black balloons represent coal emissions, I guess. And the budget is poo poo.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

I love that their DMCA response rep is named Katie Ransom. :nsallears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"Bizarrely, the notice that's posted to A Good Cartoon is not text and not a single image, but rather each word is a separate image."

Is it me, or did Tumblr just send you the digital equivalent of a ransom note made from cut up newspapers?

(The fact that it came from a woman called Ransom only makes it funnier.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sandpuppy posted:

Did this cartoonist mean to Escher that changing room, or did he go full Muir and lose his mind after drawing some tits?

Thanks for pointing that out, that is great. Especially since my screen is just small enough that I have to scroll to look at the whole door.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I'd been meaning to post this for a while, but recent events have given me an excuse to tell the story of when the poop touched me.

I found some of my cartoons for my high school paper in Akron, and was reminded of my two visits to Kent State for the Northeast Ohio School Publication Awards. I attended a seminar by none other than Chip Bok on how to do political cartoons. It basically boiled down to making sure you draw the object of your hatred as ugly as possible. He drew page after page of Al Gore & Hillary Clinton looking like they crawled out from under a bridge.

"One of my cartoons was actually nominated for an award; a drawing of broken bleachers and a run-down football field in a desert with the caption, "if the new levy doesn't pass, school sports could be deserted." (Even then I knew sports would be the last thing to be cut, but hey, editorial mandates). Bok was one of the judges for the illustration category, and I ended up not winning. A few weeks later, I got my cartoon back with Bok's comment, "doesn't make any sense. There are no deserts in Ohio." I remember my teacher saying, "Is he an idiot? This guy somehow gets paid?"

The next year, I attended again since two more of my cartoons were up (and lost). Bok ended up ditching his seminar at the last minute with a phone call saying that he had had a heart-attack, but my friends and I spotted him in the cafeteria trying to talk to college girls.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Air is lava! posted:

Thanks for pointing that out, that is great. Especially since my screen is just small enough that I have to scroll to look at the whole door.

Yeah, I'd originally seen that post on my phone so that was a treat to find later.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Moai Ou posted:

A few weeks later, I got my cartoon back with Bok's comment, "doesn't make any sense. There are no deserts in Ohio." I remember my teacher saying, "Is he an idiot? This guy somehow gets paid?"
This is incredible.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Worse yet, it is entirely plausible.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Moai Ou posted:

I'd been meaning to post this for a while, but recent events have given me an excuse to tell the story of when the poop touched me.

I found some of my cartoons for my high school paper in Akron, and was reminded of my two visits to Kent State for the Northeast Ohio School Publication Awards. I attended a seminar by none other than Chip Bok on how to do political cartoons. It basically boiled down to making sure you draw the object of your hatred as ugly as possible. He drew page after page of Al Gore & Hillary Clinton looking like they crawled out from under a bridge.

"One of my cartoons was actually nominated for an award; a drawing of broken bleachers and a run-down football field in a desert with the caption, "if the new levy doesn't pass, school sports could be deserted." (Even then I knew sports would be the last thing to be cut, but hey, editorial mandates). Bok was one of the judges for the illustration category, and I ended up not winning. A few weeks later, I got my cartoon back with Bok's comment, "doesn't make any sense. There are no deserts in Ohio." I remember my teacher saying, "Is he an idiot? This guy somehow gets paid?"

The next year, I attended again since two more of my cartoons were up (and lost). Bok ended up ditching his seminar at the last minute with a phone call saying that he had had a heart-attack, but my friends and I spotted him in the cafeteria trying to talk to college girls.

Chip Bok has no idea how [hypotheticals] work.

The man's ignorance is becoming a series.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bicyclops posted:

Was the Dan Lacey transition to insanity something that happened in the earliest iterations of this thread or was it its own thing in GBS? I can't remember anymore.

Dan Lacey's life-changing psychotic episode happened in the LF version of this thread, and it was amazing to watch. I doubt Bok's will go nearly that far, but we can hope.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Pretty sure "are you Chinese" is a reference to the way Chinese companies play real fast and loose with patents and copyrights, but given its Bok he could also be using it the way a first grader would as "are you retarded".

So yeah, meltdown is entertaining at least.

gently caress that and gently caress him. If that was his intent, he could have said "Are you a Chinese company?" "Do you own a Chinese company?" or even gone with something else, like a joke about The Dollar Store or something.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

Bonus points if you wear a bowtie with a tiny spy camera hidden in it to get his reaction.

I've been urged to contest the takedown notice, someone even sent a draft letter I could use that addresses every point and explains why it's not only an invalid DMCA but also a retaliatory one. I might see it through if it were just me here, but my wife has major reservations and doesn't want me to invite trouble over a blog post.

I mean it's not like he can scrub it from the internet, and most people who've seen Raz's set of edits didn't get them straight from my blog anyway.

Considering the nature and purpose of your blog, it is definitely in its best interest for you to use whatever free options are available to contest the notice. Otherwise, you risk establishing a precedent that other targets of your mocking will exploit in the (probably very near) future; according to the message you got from Tumblr, all it takes is two more of them filing similar notices for you to receive "three strikes" and have your account disabled entirely.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

TGLT posted:

gently caress that and gently caress him. If that was his intent, he could have said "Are you a Chinese company?" "Do you own a Chinese company?" or even gone with something else, like a joke about The Dollar Store or something.

I agree, there's no reading it in a way that isn't completely loving racist. This guy is complete garbage and I am eagerly anticipating his internet meltdown.

v - What's he gonna do, come get me in China?

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 10, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I agree, there's no reading it in a way that isn't completely loving racist. This guy is complete garbage and I am eagerly anticipating his internet meltdown.
Wow, adding libel to the copyright violations, nice work.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Jedit posted:

"Bizarrely, the notice that's posted to A Good Cartoon is not text and not a single image, but rather each word is a separate image."

Is it me, or did Tumblr just send you the digital equivalent of a ransom note made from cut up newspapers?

(The fact that it came from a woman called Ransom only makes it funnier.)
I poked at the page source and saw a ton of "cufon" tags that set off my :wtf: alarm as a non-web-designer, so I googled it.

It's not really a bunch of pictures, just Javascript using the HTML5 canvas function to individually draw each word as a separate object via some totally arcane page-rendering bullshit.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

What?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

That's cartoonist probably understands how net neutrality works but is intentionally creating a cartoon in bad faith in hopes that you do not

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The cartoonist has no idea how Net Neutrality works.

e:^^^ :argh:

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Mccoy brothers are upset we're focusing on Bok and not them, so they're intentionally making bad comics hoping we notice them again? (I wish)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Obligatory

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on free schools – David Cameron announces 49 new free schools in diverse list, most of which are scheduled to open by September 2016."

Telegraph:

Ed Balls: Conservatives planning extreme spending cuts; Cricket World Cup 2015: England knocked out by Bangladesh

Independent:

Mail:
Mac on...the poison claims from Crufts dog show

'You heard me, copper. He's saying nothing till his lawyer arrives!'

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The artist is Glenn McCoy, that's all you need to know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

vyelkin posted:

Obligatory

You need to add "Please hold", then the beginning of a second loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Hey, it's a 45 year old comedy bit. Way to stay relevant Glenn.

• Locked thread