Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Also Saudi oil barons.

Proof that money can't buy good taste. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I really think my iPad mini retina and 2012 MBA will be hitting craigslist very soon.

That broadwell MBA is very needs suiting.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pryor on Fire posted:

Seems fine if you like OSX and want a pretty little email/facebooking laptop, aka 80% of mac owners even if none of them are represented in this thread.

Where the MBA still gives you more for less money, except resolution and weight (160g/400 g more, hope you pump some iron!). More power, longer runtime, more connectivity, cheaper accessories.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

teagone posted:

Official External GPU enclosure/dock for my MacBook Air compatible with OS X.

OSX doesn't even support GPUs via Thunderbolt and in Windows it only works if you disable your built-in display and connect a monitor to the GPU.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

1st AD posted:

OSX doesn't even support GPUs via Thunderbolt and in Windows it only works if you disable your built-in display and connect a monitor to the GPU.

Which is why I said I would like an official solution that is supported with OS X. I know it's never going to happen, so meh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decius posted:

Where the MBA still gives you more for less money, except resolution and weight (160g/400 g more, hope you pump some iron!). More power, longer runtime, more connectivity, cheaper accessories.

And the base level Pro is the same price so it comes down just to weight and size.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Seems fine if you like OSX and want a pretty little email/facebooking laptop, aka 80% of mac owners even if none of them are represented in this thread.
Yeah, I think a lot of people in here forget that we are most definitely not 'normal' computer users and so the stuff we look for in computers isn't what everyone else wants.

I would imagine my parents will probably buy one of the new ones to replace their old 13" MBP since they found the 13" MBA screen too small (DPI-wise rather than physical size) while the new one is effectively 1152x720 on a 12" screen (which is retina to boot) so everything will be large and clear on it. They don't really use USB peripherals and they only ever use their current laptop on wireless so the new model is basically perfect for how they use a laptop.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'd rather get my parents a 15" Acer Chromebook for $250 than a $1200 MacBook if all they do is check their email and watch dumb videos and pictures their relatives post on Facebook.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

teagone posted:

I'd rather get my parents a 15" Acer Chromebook for $250 than a $1200 MacBook if all they do is check their email and watch dumb videos and pictures their relatives post on Facebook.

Some people like nice things. Some of those people happen to have children.

I really dislike this whole 'get old people low-end junk' thing people perpetrate.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been waffling on getting a new computer for a while, and since my 2011 Air is turning 4 in the summer, and I'm almost done with car payments, I think this new gen of Air would be a smart buy. One question: If I'm just using the thing for internet browsing and travel and a few other light things (no gaming, no video streaming), is it worth it to upgrade the RAM or the CPU? The two combined are an extra $250, and I've only started wishing my computer were faster in the last year and a half. Would the upgrade from a four year old computer be enough, or is there a reason to get those upgrades?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

enMTW posted:

I really dislike this whole 'get old people low-end junk' thing people perpetrate.

Yeah being the tech support bitch for my parents with a revolving door of lovely Dells that would last 1-2 years before dying got old really loving fast. Life's been a lot better since I convinced them to just buy a mac and expect it to last them 5-10 years.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

enMTW posted:

It's not low-end "junk" though. I have a 13" MacBook Air I use for work, but I also have an 11" Dell Chromebook to tote around with me for when I'm not working. The newer Acer Chromebooks actually have pretty solid build quality from what I've read.

[edit]

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah being the tech support bitch for my parents with a revolving door of lovely Dells that would last 1-2 years before dying got old really loving fast. Life's been a lot better since I convinced them to just buy a mac and expect it to last them 5-10 years.

God forbid you actually have to exert effort and help the people who birthed you.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Not only this, but in all seriousness the apple stuff is just super easy to use compared to windows. Stuff in general feels less scary to newer users.

Plus for stuff you can't/don't have time to troubleshoot, there's always sending the into the Genius Bar or buying them training with the computer if they're into that.

There's lots of stuff that comes with apple products other than speed and connectivity that power users (eg the majority here) don't tend to consider.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of people in here forget that we are most definitely not 'normal' computer users and so the stuff we look for in computers isn't what everyone else wants.

I would imagine my parents will probably buy one of the new ones to replace their old 13" MBP since they found the 13" MBA screen too small (DPI-wise rather than physical size) while the new one is effectively 1152x720 on a 12" screen (which is retina to boot) so everything will be large and clear on it. They don't really use USB peripherals and they only ever use their current laptop on wireless so the new model is basically perfect for how they use a laptop.

I have a 2011 13" MBA and it's excellent for doing programming work. rMBP would be overkill since I don't do any graphic/video processing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

teagone posted:

It's not low-end "junk" though. I have a 13" MacBook Air I use for work, but I also have an 11" Dell Chromebook to tote around with me for when I'm not working. The newer Acer Chromebooks actually have pretty solid build quality from what I've read.

[edit]

God forbid you actually have to exert effort and help the people who birthed you.

I know my parents and other family members wait weeks before asking me for help because they feel bad bothering me all the time with it, no matter how much I tell them it's fine. Plus I'd rather them feel confident in their ability rather than feeling useless in their lack of understanding.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

I know my parents and other family members wait weeks before asking me for help because they feel bad bothering me all the time with it, no matter how much I tell them it's fine. Plus I'd rather them feel confident in their ability rather than feeling useless in their lack of understanding.

I've recommended Macs and I've recommended Chromebooks. I've actually gotten more tech questions from the friends and family I recommended the MacBooks to than the ones who I recommended Chromebooks to. I don't mean to derail the thread or anything, but there are more logical options than a $1200 computer for people who just use it for e-mail, Facebook, and YouTube.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

teagone posted:

[edit]

Every Chromebook I've used - including the Pixel - has terrible build quality. And, save from the expensive Chromebooks with I3/4gb of ram, they do not have enough performance on tap to even run a browser in a non-terrible way.

Bad keyboard, bad trackpads, bad performance.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kingnothing posted:

Yeah, the laptop I mentioned is a MacBook from 2009 (before the 13" model was called a MacBook Pro) and the battery is shot and only holds about half an hour's charge which is why they're looking at replacing it.

I put a SSD in it when I gave it to them and haven't had to do anything with it since support-wise and they still use it every day. I'm pretty sure they'll stick with Apple stuff over alternatives because they're familiar with OS X and it 'just works' as far as they're concerned.

But by all means, don't let my personal circumstances stop you from buying your parents cheap stuff.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I closed the parent tech support cycle by getting them iPads.

Now I get facetime calls to say hello :3:

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

I've been waffling on getting a new computer for a while, and since my 2011 Air is turning 4 in the summer, and I'm almost done with car payments, I think this new gen of Air would be a smart buy. One question: If I'm just using the thing for internet browsing and travel and a few other light things (no gaming, no video streaming), is it worth it to upgrade the RAM or the CPU? The two combined are an extra $250, and I've only started wishing my computer were faster in the last year and a half. Would the upgrade from a four year old computer be enough, or is there a reason to get those upgrades?

The base CPU and RAM will probably be plenty for your use, and the upgraded flash system will probably go a long way towards making it feel crisp and responsive again.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

enMTW posted:

Every Chromebook I've used - including the Pixel - has terrible build quality. And, save from the expensive Chromebooks with I3/4gb of ram, they do not have enough performance on tap to even run a browser in a non-terrible way.

My anecdote is the complete opposite of your anecdote. Also, an "expensive" Dell Chromebook with a Core i3 and 4GB of RAM is $400.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hell, I just went out and bought them one because I know they would never get one themselves. Merry Christmas for the next couple years, Mom and Dad.

They ended up loving it and I have had zero "help-desk" calls since I got it for them.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

teagone posted:

My anecdote is the complete opposite of your anecdote. Also, an "expensive" Dell Chromebook with a Core i3 and 4GB of RAM is $400.

Ok....?

Almost anyone would be better off with an iPad at that price. A Chromebook only makes sense at sub-$250

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enMTW posted:

So then why would you buy someone a $1400 laptop with a Chromebook CPU in it?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't Core M better than a chromebook CPU? Those have typically been ARM, atoms, or at best celerons from what I've seen.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

Better experience, better trackpad, better keyboard, a real OS, actual technical support, training, a real warranty you can take advantage of at a large network of stores...

Chrombooks do not have Core-M processors in them, by the way.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Because they can and they want to?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I have no problems with spending a bit more and buying my parents a MacBook, especially if they have an Apple Store around to handle support. What I wouldn't do is get them a laptop that couldn't charge and have a USB drive plugged in w/o a giant dongle hanging off the side of it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

GokieKS posted:

I have no problems with spending a bit more and buying my parents a MacBook, especially if they have an Apple Store around to handle support. What I wouldn't do is get them a laptop that couldn't charge and have a USB drive plugged in w/o a giant dongle hanging off the side of it.

Do they use USB drives right now? If so, they are in a small minority of users. But, if so, good news: a computer exists for this use case. Same price.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MF839LL/A&step=config

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrBond posted:

Isn't Core M better than a chromebook CPU? Those have typically been ARM, atoms, or at best celerons from what I've seen.

Newer Chromebooks have/are going to have Broadwell-U CPUs. So yes, the Core M (which I think is Broadwell-something) is better. By how much I don't know because I can't find benchmarks comparing the two.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

MEGAHERTZ MYTH

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

teagone posted:

Newer Chromebooks have/are going to have Broadwell-U CPUs. So yes, the Core M (which I think is Broadwell-Y?) is better. By how much I don't know because I can't find benchmarks comparing the two.

You would need to compare the two products in a benchmark, and since Apple hasn't announced exactly what processor they are using and the computer you are talking about doesn't exist yet (but surely will)

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

enMTW posted:

Do they use USB drives right now? If so, they are in a small minority of users.

Do you seriously believe that people who connect USB devices to their computers are a "small minority"?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

enMTW posted:

You would need to compare the two products in a benchmark, and since Apple hasn't announced exactly what processor they are using and the computer you are talking about doesn't exist yet (but surely will)

I looked it up, and it's Broadwell-U... so same as current-gen Chromebooks? I guess Broadwell-Y was last generation?

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 9, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

GokieKS posted:

Do you seriously believe that people who connect USB devices to their computers are a "small minority"?
Yes, and he's right.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I like how I am in the market for a new 15 inch rMBP to replace my 2010 model, and Apple does not want my money. "You can have brand new everything, better memory and better ports and new chips and thinness and trackpad revisions on everything but the high end models. Sorry!"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Yes, and he's right.

Counterpoint: Thumb drives, which probably a vast majority of computer users still regularly use.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

I like how I am in the market for a new 15 inch rMBP to replace my 2010 model, and Apple does not want my money. "You can have brand new everything, better memory and better ports and new chips and thinness and trackpad revisions on everything but the high end models. Sorry!"

I mean, I guess they have to rope people in to buy their new mid-range, but not really mid-range model somehow.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

SourKraut posted:

Counterpoint: Thumb drives, which probably a vast majority of computer users still regularly use.

Seriously. I don't understand how people don't get this.

If you have a computer that can't handle something as simple as a freaking FLASH DRIVE without an adapter, your computer is pretty terrible.

Also everyone who owns a digital camera is also the "minority." And people who BACKUP/RESTORE THEIR IPHONES FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

GokieKS posted:

Yes.