Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

notthegoatseguy posted:

Lots of characters in the MCU bear little to no resemblance to their comic counterparts, or in the case of characters that have existed for decades, might be a combination of characters from different comic timelines. Daisy in AOS is at least partially Inhuman and had to go through that process for her powers to activate. In the comics she is born with her powers though strangely doesn't have an X gene.

Have we heard anything about Graviton yet? I'm really surprised he's still out there and not been used.

I was wondering the same thing about Graviton recently. He's just sort of chilling out in his box still, I guess. Seems odd that not another mention has occurred about him.

Also, since this has sort of become the de facto MCU thread...

My wife and I are re-watching all the Phase 1/2 MCU movies leading into Avengers: AOU (and we don't feel like sitting through 27 hours of movies in the theater). We are on Iron Man 3, and ultimately, what was the point of the Extremis storyline? I remember it seemed to be neatly sorted out in S1 of Agents of Shield, but it was a storyline that really didn't pan out into much other than revealing a small portion of Hydra poo poo. So what was the point really?

I never read Iron Man comics, so is it something that eventually ties back in a more meaningful way in Civil War or Age of Ultron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The individual Marvel movies aren't written with a wider goal. They're self contained.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Aphrodite posted:

The individual Marvel movies aren't written with a wider goal. They're self contained.

I don't agree with that at all. Virtually every movie in Phase 1 (except mybe Incredible Hulk) set up something much bigger when it came time for Avengers, and Phase 2 seems to be on track for the same thing. Although I still can't figure out where GotG fits in. Or the extremis plot other than carrying over for nearly the entirety of Agents season 1.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Extremis is another one of Tony's good ideas that got out of hand. At this point it's fairly self-contained as a storyline.

Maybe Age Of Ultron has some connection to Extremis. Plus, Extremis is a great way to give a lot of people superpowers quickly, a non lethal version like the one Pepper has could make the Civil War storyline more interesting. That and the Inhumans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's because that was phase 1. The first movies.

Even something as big as SHIELD disbanding is unlikely to be a major thing in Avengers 2. I don't see how Thor 2 is going to be relevant at all either.

Iron Man 3 is the reason Tony builds the Ultron project though.

And GotG is actually setup for Avengers 3. It has Thanos in it searching for the Infinity Gems.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 9, 2015

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Extremis is another one of Tony's good ideas that got out of hand. At this point it's fairly self-contained as a storyline.

Maybe Age Of Ultron has some connection to Extremis. Plus, Extremis is a great way to give a lot of people superpowers quickly, a non lethal version like the one Pepper has could make the Civil War storyline more interesting. That and the Inhumans.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Maybe the extremis stuff has run its course, but it could work its way back in because it does set up tons of interesting scenarios.

Because of the superpowered people it creates, there's almost no way it doesn't get brought back up in Civil War, at the very least.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doronin posted:

Although I still can't figure out where GotG fits in.
GotG grinds to a dead stop at several points to set up things for Avengers 3. It's probably the worst MCU movie for cramming in unnecessary set up.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Aphrodite posted:

Even something as big as SHIELD disbanding is unlikely to be a major thing in Avengers 2. I don't see how Thor 2 is going to be relevant at all either.

And GotG is actually setup for Avengers 3. It has Thanos in it searching for the Infinity Gems.

As it pertains to Avengers AOU, most of the interviews I've read recently seems as if that AOU is going to really be about the Avengers team itself. The relationships between them and so forth while they deal with Ultron. Much more of a character study, it seems, than Avengers was just introducing the idea of them all assembling to fight threats against Earth.

So if that's true, then I could imagine very little of the previous movies really impacting it all that much. But I could see it, absolutely, setting the tone for the next phase after Ant Man.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Doctor Spaceman posted:

GotG grinds to a dead stop at several points to set up things for Avengers 3. It's probably the worst MCU movie for cramming in unnecessary set up.

As awesome as a movie as it was, I agree. It's only a 'phase 2' movie in the sense that it released in 2014. Not because anything in that story might actually matter to the MCU in phase 2.

Unless they really go deep on terregenesis or go somewhere unexpected with Vision.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I've yet to see a single argument for Thanos' inclusion in Guardians of the Galaxy that has anything to do with the quality of Guardians itself.

I don't think history will look back on that film as kindly as people do now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Doronin posted:

I was wondering the same thing about Graviton recently. He's just sort of chilling out in his box still, I guess. Seems odd that not another mention has occurred about him.

When Garret & Ward break into The Fridge, Quinn takes the box with Graviton in it, so he's wherever Quinn is. Maybe we'll see them again when they need a filler episode?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

My takeaway from IM3 was that Tony was trying to improve Iron Man so much that it was at the cost of his other relationships. So instead of improving it, he just said gently caress it and blew it all up. I'm sure the inspiration for Ultron for automated Iron Man world saving is so Tony doesn't personally have to see to the super-heroing as kind of a half measure.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ultron's AI is going to partly be the AI of the one robotic arm he's always yelling at. It got tired of the abuse, and moved over to the Ultron project...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Thor 2 revolves around Malekith trying to get his hand on an Infinity Gem. The Aether is an Infinity Gem, Guardians of the Galaxy show this while the Collector is talking about them.

Dan Didio posted:

I've yet to see a single argument for Thanos' inclusion in Guardians of the Galaxy that has anything to do with the quality of Guardians itself.

1. Thanks was not required for Guardians, strictly speaking. You're right. At this point, he's about as important to the movie as Emperor Palpatine was to The Empire Strikes Back. Gamora and Drax have a history with him, and by taking a little time out now to deal with that they save exposition time later. Again, he's not really required for the core story being told there. For the overarching plot line, yes, but not the single movie's.

2. Perhaps. We will see.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Dan Didio posted:

Eh, he's a big-deal character in space-stuff and the scene revealed to a lot of people who Lokis benefactor in Avengers was, I thought it worked fine.

e: oh also Thanos tasked Ronan with finding the macguffin without which he couldn't have destroyed the planet :) Was it necessary to the plot? No, but it fits in with Loki in Avengers.

Martout fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 9, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Thor 2 revolves around Malekith trying to get his hand on an Infinity Gem. The Aether is an Infinity Gem, Guardians of the Galaxy show this while the Collector is talking about them.

But he doesn't want it because it is one.

All the movie ultimately does is move where it is.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

But he doesn't want it because it is one.

All the movie ultimately does is move where it is.

But it is one.

And it's a majestic, complex tapestry.:colbert:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Agent Carter Season 2 update!
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/What-Agent-Carter-May-Look-Like-It-Gets-Second-Season-70530.html

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Agent Carter 2 set in 1940s Hollywoodland? :allears:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Martout posted:

Eh, he's a big-deal character in space-stuff and the scene revealed to a lot of people who Lokis benefactor in Avengers was, I thought it worked fine.

e: oh also Thanos tasked Ronan with finding the macguffin without which he couldn't have destroyed the planet :) Was it necessary to the plot? No, but it fits in with Loki in Avengers.

Thanks for continuing the trend.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

MikeJF posted:

Agent Carter 2 set in 1940s Hollywoodland? :allears:

omg season 2 in hollywood would just be amazinnnngggg

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Dan Didio posted:

Thanks for continuing the trend.

Of thinking it was inoffensive to have him in there? Oh haha it's Dan Didio I'm responding to, I'm sorry everyone :)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Martout posted:

Of thinking it was inoffensive to have him in there? Oh haha it's Dan Didio I'm responding to, I'm sorry everyone :)

Don't be dense.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Infinity War was really just Marvel's prediction for this thread.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Daredevil trailers are fair game here, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAy6NJ_D5vU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

Don't be dense.

Tell me about S.H.I.E.L.D.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

BreakAtmo posted:

That show just keeps looking better and better to me.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

BreakAtmo posted:

Looks awesome.

I love the opening voiceover from Kingpin that essentially is a hero's monologue.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Not really a big fan of Daredevil since my main exposure was the Fox Spiderman Cartoon (?) and the bad Ben Affleck movie but this looks pretty good so far!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The cool thing about the MCU is that starting with Captain America, everything has been very meticulously planned out so that the back story will lead up to Avengers 3. The nice thing though is that each movie is still self contained, so you don't have to have some crazy amount comic book knowledge to have an appreciation for whats going on. The Iron Man movies have kind of stood on their own with only vague references to Avengers. Iron Man 3 was good because it was more about Tony Stark and his neuroses rather than him just blowing poo poo up in his suit like Iron Man 2. The point of Iron Man 3 was that even without the suit, he is a hero.

Including the infinity gems is a great and relatively easy way to have a macguffin that eventually has a point to it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It'll be interesting to look back after Avengers 3 is out (although by then people will be debating whether Black Panther will return for Avengers 5) and see the whole set of movies they set out to make.

They'll have basically made a 21-episode season of 2.5 hour episodes of a super expensive serialized TV show. Even long-running series like James Bond and Godzilla don't keep continuity for more than 2-3 movies. And now every other studio in Hollywood is digging through their library trying to flag franchises for massive iteration.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I have doubts that the current production slate has been sitting on some whiteboard since 2006-ish, just waiting to be made.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dan Didio posted:

I have doubts that the current production slate has been sitting on some whiteboard since 2006-ish, just waiting to be made.

They've got movie plans through something like 2028 already.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

They've got movie plans through something like 2028 already.

Do you think the situation in Marvel Studios is the same now as it was when they started this venture in earnest?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dan Didio posted:

Do you think the situation in Marvel Studios is the same now as it was when they started this venture in earnest?

We know they've been planning this since pre-production of Avengers 1 at the very earliest, so it's gonna be 2011 at least.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dan Didio posted:

I have no doubt that they've had a general roadmap plan since before Iron Man 1 ever hit theaters.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

If I remember some dates right, 2010 is really the earliest time they could have comprehensively planned out all the films we know are coming at the moment and even then, I doubt most of them were meticulously planned out in some kind of inter-locking map.

jivjov posted:

I have no doubt that they've had a general roadmap plan since before Iron Man 1 ever hit theaters.

That's a different thing from what I said, though.

Rarity posted:

We know they've been planning this since pre-production of Avengers 1 at the very earliest, so it's gonna be 2011 at least.

'This'?

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 11, 2015

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I hope they don't gently caress this episode up too much with Sif amnesia bullshit

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope Sif just gets a TV show at this point. Sif: Agent of Asgard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

She's carrying a sword dude

She's good

• Locked thread