Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

bloodysabbath posted:

I like how I am in the market for a new 15 inch rMBP to replace my 2010 model, and Apple does not want my money. "You can have brand new everything, better memory and better ports and new chips and thinness and trackpad revisions on everything but the high end models. Sorry!"
You realise this is because quad-core Broadwell CPUs aren't available, right? Apple kind of has to wait until Intel has the chips available before it can update the models can use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Accipiter posted:

And people who BACKUP/RESTORE THEIR IPHONES FOR FUCKS SAKE.

You can do this over wifi :science:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Remember when Apple removed optical drives and people freaked out about it and now 2 years later it's not a big deal at all?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

teagone posted:

I looked it up, and it's Broadwell-U... so same as current-gen Chromebooks? I guess Broadwell-Y was last generation?

Interesting. Is Broadwell-U not being replaced until Skylake?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

LmaoTheKid posted:

You can do this over wifi :science:

No. You can't restore an iPhone from a non-iCloud backup over wireless.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

SourKraut posted:

Counterpoint: Thumb drives, which probably a vast majority of computer users still regularly use.

That doesn't happen to be true, though.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Accipiter posted:

Seriously. I don't understand how people don't get this.

If you have a computer that can't handle something as simple as a freaking FLASH DRIVE without an adapter, your computer is pretty terrible.

Also everyone who owns a digital camera is also the "minority." And people who BACKUP/RESTORE THEIR IPHONES FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Most people are not using flash drives anymore. Dropbox. iCloud Drive.

Most of the Mac audience uses their iOS device as their camera. That syncs wirelessly.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

enMTW posted:

That doesn't happen to be true, though.

Citation needed.

The billions upon billions of flash drives that have been sold and the fact that you can buy a dozen different kinds in any grocery store right now says otherwise.

enMTW posted:

Most people are not using flash drives anymore. Dropbox. iCloud Drive.

Again, gonna need a source. Seems you keep pulling this "fact" out of your rear end.

enMTW posted:

Most of the Mac audience uses their iOS device as their camera. That syncs wirelessly.

Plenty of people still use cameras that aren't built into a phone. And not everyone uses wireless to sync their devices with their computers. I certainly don't.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 9, 2015

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Accipiter posted:

No. You can't restore an iPhone from a non-iCloud backup over wireless.

drat, it's been so long since I've touched iTunes, I had no idea.

I usually just use iCloud.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Accipiter posted:

Citation needed.

The billions upon billions of flash drives that have been sold and the fact that you can buy a dozen different kinds in any grocery store right now says otherwise.

Again, gonna need a source. Seems you keep pulling this "fact" out of your rear end.

Plenty of people still use cameras that aren't built into a phone.

On account of the comical level of disrespect I am getting from you, I will not argue with you any further. If any reasonable adults would like to continue this discussion, just respond to me.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

enMTW posted:

On account of the comical level of disrespect I am getting from you, I will not argue with you any further. If any reasonable adults would like to continue this discussion, just respond to me.

You sure showed me!

:downsowned:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
His tone was unnecessary, but the question is a completely valid one. Based on what data do you make the assertion that the vast majority of users don't use any USB devices?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

enMTW posted:

Interesting. Is Broadwell-U not being replaced until Skylake?

No idea. Someone just told me that current Core M chips are Broadwell-Y though. I looked up the SKUs of current Core M processors, and the speeds match those in the 12" MacBook models. I guess Broadwell-U is just the super low voltage variant. Unless Broadwell-U processors are also branded as Core M?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

GokieKS posted:

His tone was unnecessary, but the question is a completely valid one. Based on what data do you make the assertion that the vast majority of users don't use any USB devices?

There is Gartner data on this. Very few people use more than one USB device at a time. Even fewer use anything other than a mouse dongle. I don't have a link on hand (or even know if that research is freely available) but it exists.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody's parents use iCloud intentionally.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aphrodite posted:

This is true. Or least hardly any use it on purpose.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

I dunno, modern iOS devices heavily push signups during first time setup. Macs too.

I doubt they use any of the iCloud services (other than the passive ones, like activation lock) though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enMTW posted:

I dunno, modern iOS devices heavily push signups during first time setup. Macs too.

That's what I meant by intentionally. It's doing its thing but they probably don't know or control any part of it.

My grandparents have a stack of flash drives.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

enMTW posted:

There is Gartner data on this. Very few people use more than one USB device at a time. Even fewer use anything other than a mouse dongle. I don't have a link on hand (or even know if that research is freely available) but it exists.

"Trust me, I'm right."

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

That's what I meant by intentionally. It's doing its thing but they probably don't know or control any part of it.

My grandparents have a stack of flash drives.

What kind of computer do they use?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Accipiter posted:

"Trust me, I'm right."

I told you to stop responding to me. I am not going to tolerate your endless harassment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not really how SA works.

enMTW posted:

What kind of computer do they use?

Windows laptop, but it's got OneDrive which is the same poo poo as iCloud.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Accipiter posted:

"Trust me, I'm right."
He is.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Mercurius posted:

You realise this is because quad-core Broadwell CPUs aren't available, right? Apple kind of has to wait until Intel has the chips available before it can update the models can use them.

Fair enough I guess, they'll still make boatloads of money and could give a poo poo if I wait 6 months to upgrade or whatever. Just personally disappointed.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

Windows laptop, but it's got OneDrive which is the same poo poo as iCloud.

Interesting, thanks. Would love to see some research as to if Mac users use fewer USB devices on average than Windows users.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Source?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

enMTW posted:

You're going to have to provide proof that it does. I did a Google search on gartner.com for USB related articles, and found nothing of the like.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

Even if people rarely use more than 1 USB device at a time that still means you can't charge and do that one thing.

(Or realistically since it's USB-C you actually can't do that one thing at all without an adapter.)

There's an adapter for that. Not ideal, but possible.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 9, 2015

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Welp this is deteriorating fast.

So is this new trackpad thing going to break in 2 months? I could see it being nice for dragging and dropping stuff since that's a pain with the clicky types, and the vast majority of my trackpad usage is single taps. On the other hand it sounds like a gimmick. I blew up the screen on my macbook air (2011) and I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I need to decide whether to get a new one or buy a refurbished old one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if people rarely use more than 1 USB device at a time that still means you can't charge and do that one thing.

(Or realistically since it's USB-C you actually can't do that one thing at all without an adapter.)

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

enMTW posted:

Actually, I don't have to provide anything. Thanks though.

Then don't expect people to think your assertions have any validity.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Eeyo posted:

So is this new trackpad thing going to break in 2 months? I could see it being nice for dragging and dropping stuff since that's a pain with the clicky types, and the vast majority of my trackpad usage is single taps. On the other hand it sounds like a gimmick. I blew up the screen on my macbook air (2011) and I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I need to decide whether to get a new one or buy a refurbished old one.

I can see the trackpad stuff wearing out more quickly when you take into consideration that people will be pressing it harder far more frequently, but I would also hope that the engineers took this into consideration when designing it.

I also don't quite understand how useful the force feedback is going to be just yet. Once I've clicked something, I typically take my finger off the trackpad right away. The only time it's on there for any length of time is if I'm scrolling or moving the cursor.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Eeyo posted:

I've always done the whole tap-to-click thing and in conjunction with the three finger drag I've never had a real problem.

It'd be cool if there was a way to trigger exposé with it though since you can't drag and exposé on the trackpad at the same time, at least not reliably.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

enMTW posted:

Link to said Gartner data. I honestly want to see it.

External hard drive plugged in via USB and a flash drive plugged in to directly back up to said external drive are two USB connections alone. I do this fairly regularly for work but I regularly go to meetings where a flash drive and the USB adapter for a laser pointer/presentation control stick are both connected.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 9, 2015

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

SourKraut posted:

External hard drive plugged in via USB and a flash drive plugged in to directly back up to said external drive are two USB connections alone. I do this fairly regularly for work but I regularly go to meetings where a flash drive and the USB adapter for a laser pointer/presentation control stick are both connected.

It wounds like you are some sort of professional. If only apple would make a computer for professionals with lots of ports and stuff.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ZShakespeare posted:

It wounds like you are some sort of professional. If only apple would make a computer for professionals with lots of ports and stuff.

If only the people giving said presentations weren't traveling regularly with said system and looking to travel as light as possible. A lot of the engineers I work with do the work itself on a workstation, throw the files/presentation on a flash drive, then take MBAs to meetings with clients and manufacturers and pull the presentation/other files off the flash drive.

I honestly don't understand how people in this thread can be so dense. Apple makes bad design decisions sometimes, and it's ok to say so. It doesn't make anyone any less of an Apple fan to do so without trying to make excuses for everything.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 9, 2015

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

SourKraut posted:

Don't bother. He can't back up his statements and his argument keeps changing anyway.

It was originally "people who use any kinds of USB drives are in the small minority." Then it became "People who use any kind of USB devices are the minority." Then it was "Only a minority of users use USB flash drives." Then it somehow became "Not many people use more than one USB device at a time," while tossing out the phrase "Gartner data" with zero substantiation trying to sound legit.

ZShakespeare posted:

Example though: I'm a professional. I own two MacBook Pros: a Mid-2010 and a Late 2014 Retina, both 15". The 2014 annoys the piss out of me regularly because of its lack of built-in ethernet.

The "Pro" stuff is barely even Pro anymore. Apple's pro apps are languishing if not killed completely (loving Aperture), and the Mac Pro hasn't seen any kind of update since December 2013.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 9, 2015

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Accipiter posted:

I can see the trackpad stuff wearing out more quickly when you take into consideration that people will be pressing it harder far more frequently, but I would also hope that the engineers took this into consideration when designing it.

I also don't quite understand how useful the force feedback is going to be just yet. Once I've clicked something, I typically take my finger off the trackpad right away. The only time it's on there for any length of time is if I'm scrolling or moving the cursor.

Just based on my personal use, and when working with other people, I rarely see people remove their finger from the trackpad after completing a click.

I suspect it will operate similarly to Apple Pay confirm vibration, as a way to confirm the click completed.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Kingnothing posted:

Just based on my personal use, and when working with other people, I rarely see people remove their finger from the trackpad after completing a click.

I suspect it will operate similarly to Apple Pay confirm vibration, as a way to confirm the click completed.

Maybe it's just my own habits, but as soon as I finish a click, both hands go right back to hovering, either over the keyboard or over the trackpad prepared to two-finger scroll.

And I've always taken the actual click of the trackpad as feedback that the click happened. An already-present physical click followed by a buzz seems extraneous, but I'll concede that I can't foresee every possible usage scenario. It may actually be really useful. I just can't think of how quite yet. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Aperture was never a pro app even if they billed it as one, meanwhile Final Cut in its current iteration is the best thing ever unless you work in a large post house.

As long as the MacBook Pro retains ports I don't see the big issue?