Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Remy Marathe posted:

Nope, not explicitly mentioned that I've heard. Early zombies were even a little smarter, turning doorknobs and beating on windows.

Is this speculation or a comic book fact? I'm looking back now in my head to the recently turned, and they do seem a little stronger and quicker. It also makes me realize I can't remember the last time we've seen someone we know turn.

Terminus butchers were the last that were freshly turned I think. Didn't see much of them though. I think the comics do state that the slow, but constant deterioration slows down the walkers, as does the cold, but we haven't had them show winter yet, they just skipped it between seasons I think.

Edit: VV I guess it goes to show how bad the hospital poo poo was that I can't remember that, even now.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

chick who killed lollipop rapecop was the most recent I think.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

precision posted:

Carol is the best :3: :black101:

In Carol's first scene of the episode, all I could think of is "Oh, that floral sweater is cute." Then when she threatened that kid, all I could think was "What a fuckin' bad-rear end."

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Is the priest character dead? I haven't seen him in one shot since they entered the town.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
^^ Ya I dunno last we saw he kind of ran away? Didn't he escape the church then step on a nail or something?

moths posted:

Oh poo poo, have they said who?

Rumours are pointing towards Kevin Durand (mercenary Keamy from LOST, or the pest control dude in The Strain)

Has the imposing physical appearance, and he can certainly ham it up.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

idk about a Negan on basic cable. They loving better figure the gently caress out how the loving fucker will loving say gently caress.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Unzip and Attack posted:

Is the priest character dead? I haven't seen him in one shot since they entered the town.

He's in the most recent trailer. They have been focusing on one subgroup at a time lately. He'll get a nod the next ep.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Al Nipper posted:

^^ Ya I dunno last we saw he kind of ran away? Didn't he escape the church then step on a nail or something?
As far as I know Mullet and the Priest both entered the front gate in Alexandria, they've just been hamfistedly omitted from the proceedings so far. Not even an awkward one-liner like Careful with the softened water Gabriel and Eugene have been on the shitter since we got here.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Unless Rick told everyone else it was Carol they're going to assume it was him and some random explosion probably. nobody saw carol blow poo poo up, there was just some explosion and then rick's opening up the rail car for everyone to get out.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mullet is also in the trailer for the new ep. He has a pretty important role in the future so they won't forget about him. Seriously it's damned if you do damned if you don't. They only have like 45 min to show poo poo. If they jumped around to show what Eugene is doing, and what Ginger boy and Rosita and Tara were doing they wouldn't advance the story at all and people would complain about slow pacing. Right now they're advancing the story one subplot at a time and people are complaining they're forgetting the other characters.

I seriously wonder if people in this thread would be better served just reading a wiki synopsis when the show is finished instead of watching along live.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Remy Marathe posted:

Is this speculation or a comic book fact? I'm looking back now in my head to the recently turned, and they do seem a little stronger and quicker. It also makes me realize I can't remember the last time we've seen someone we know turn.

Pretty sure gimple said it on the talking dead. Although I don't blame you if you don't watch the show.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Something else to consider re: lesser characters not appearing. Actors are generally paid per episode, so omitting one or two lesser characters each week lets the show runners redirect budget as needed. With a cast this large is only makes sense.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
With a cast this large, it's time to start the culling. Remember the Atlanta camp? 14 people or so killed off in one scene.

Fix the budget. Kill the extras. Ricktatorship 2016.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

Right now they're advancing the story one subplot at a time and people are complaining they're forgetting the other characters.

And people wonder why one of the loudest - if not most accurate - criticisms of the show is its plodding pace when it even attempts character drama.

There are so many attempts at poignant or meaningful scenes that start strong and then fizzle entirely:

-Michonne with the plastic sabre says everything it needs to without captain redhead belching out "packin a different kind of steel now?" followed by a half-wrought monologue about the necessity and tragedy of violence

-Daryl attempting to tame Buttons and failing is packed with (perhaps unsubtle) subtext. But there is absolutely no delayed gratification in this story so the horse dies immediately. So the audience is left with a bizarre mixed metaphor in which Daryl is taming his wilder impulses but also a lone wolf dies alone but also not trusting the right people will get you ate but also introspection leaves you blind to your surroundings. Bonus: in the same scene we get another ankle-grab fake-scare.

-Sasha has boring cocktail party chatter that sketches the naivete of the naivete of the townspeople. Then she has a PTSD freakout complete with bizarre camera effects which she appears to have inherited from her brother.

This show just cannot pull off a clean stroke and its frustrating when so much time is devoted to half-baked scenes (it takes Michonne a full minute to hang up her sword and scowl at it, and this is almost immediately after the plastic-sabre scene which covered the same basic theme).

It's hard to believe that there was just "no room" in this or the previous episode to do anything at all with the priest character. This kind of neglect leads to weak character development at best, and total retardation of his plot at worst:

Al Nipper posted:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GrAviTy84 posted:

chick who killed lollipop rapecop was the most recent I think.

Lollipop Rapecop sounds like a really lovely speed metal band.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

When Rick was talking to Governor's Congressperson's husband he said "I heard the tapes I know what you did for those people" it got me thinking, did no one mention any of the bad rear end poo poo Carol has done? Maybe she's not as invisible as she thinks.

If you were in the congresswoman's shoes and saw a mid-size group like Rick's enter, there would be a few characters you'd focus your questions on. Probably the leader, maybe the imposing dreadlocked black woman with the ninja sword, maybe the clearly-former-military guy. But you wouldn't ask many questions about the nice quiet older lady in the back.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If I gave enough shits I'd vid edit down this ep into a goon's ideal ep basically consisting of 1 second shots of every scene because who the gently caress cares about acting, development, direction, and whatever. If you can't figure out what's going on in a scene in one second with no dialogue and no setup or explanation you should probably just kill you are self.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

That Horse scene drove me loving nuts, for a few reasons. For one, like 7 zombies cornered and pulled down a horse in a field, then tore it apart like play-doh. Last time we saw something like that it was more like 80+ zombies. Also like they do every time something is setup to die, Daryl & Friend show up in time to see the cornered horse getting attacked and proceed to just stand there and watch the gore effects for a while.

No attempt is made to put save the thing (it's not like the zombie bites is going to turn it into a zombie horse, so one or two bites wouldn't mean jack poo poo), or to put Mr. Buttons out of his misery with an arrow between the eyes once it decided to just lie down.

Honestly I think the scene should have probably ended with the horse bashing half the zombies heads in wildly kicking at them with minimal to no damage, the way it was framed. Frankly I'd rather had Michonne get a new zombie-survival horse named Mr. Buttons than half-assed symbolism, so there's that.

Oh yeah it's also hilarious that you have "Horse that's survived the zombie plague for years" that can't get around like 6 zombies because our heroes showed up.

To be honest, I'm not really sure about that. While its true that animals don't turn from zombie bites there's really no proof that they live zombie bites either. There's never been a prolonged scene in the comic nor the show of an animal whose been bitten and if they get a fever/infection or if they just keep on ticking with a bite; they simply don't reanimate. So... maybe? It seems unlikely that the show would explore this specifically.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

There's a middle ground between having a whole scene featuring every character every episode (which I agree would be awful), and what they're doing here which is scrimping on money at the cost of creating a consistent sense of place. Alexandria's not that big, our characters weren't even ready to sleep in separate houses when they got here, so not seeing two of the main characters at all for two episodes straight, including an episode centered around a big loving party meant to welcome their group, their absence is downright weird and conspicuous.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

An edit of Sasha at the baked beans party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLTH3N1iDpQ

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

If I gave enough shits I'd vid edit down this ep into a goon's ideal ep basically consisting of 1 second shots of every scene because who the gently caress cares about acting, development, direction, and whatever.

To be honest I'm especially partial to Seth Gilliam and I believe he's the strongest actor on the cast at the moment. He has been given so little maneuverability as an actor even in the episodes that he has actual scenes in that his is probably the most reviled (and not in the love-to-hate 'good' way) of the supporting characters.

There are compelling ways to show a story (the plastic sabre scene sans-chewing), redundancies (hanging the sword), and useless filler (zombies eating a horse, again). Zombies only served to muddle the visual storytelling of this episode, and probably should have been excluded entirely in this case.

You can GoonSay all you want, but this episode would have been better served if it had no zombies. On the other hand,

GrAviTy84 posted:

you should probably just kill you are self.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So I'm wondering how the Morgan thing is going to tie into this season (if at all) now that they are hundreds of miles away from Georgia. It has to have SOME purpose, right?

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
My god Spencer is such an annoying smug oval office, his actor is doing such a great job at making me hate his guts.

But Carol is quickly becoming the best character in my books :3: "I can bake you loads of delicious cookies! orr YOU CAN DIE A GRUESOME AND PAINFULL DEATH!!"

The doctor guy is weird, he's practically offering his wife to Rick on a golden platter

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Carol's housewife act is loving killing me. Her scaring the poo poo out of a kid was just icing on the cake.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
the horse didn't get away because there's no metaphor there, don't worry about horse realities.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I didn't realize until I looked it up that the guy trying to flirt with Sasha and the rear end in a top hat from last week are different characters. Brothers.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lycus posted:

I didn't realize until I looked it up that the guy trying to flirt with Sasha and the rear end in a top hat from last week are different characters. Brothers.

don't worry, you got the gist, they're both awful.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So I'm wondering how the Morgan thing is going to tie into this season (if at all) now that they are hundreds of miles away from Georgia. It has to have SOME purpose, right?

He did see the map that said they were going to DC. He'll probably run into Daryl/Aaron, but some conflict will arise from it. Would be hilarious if they just let him pass by...

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the guy that's been following them around, right? Yeah, I was just thinking about him and wondering where he'd gotten to.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

There's an interesting idea floating around that it's not actually a W but an M for "Morgan" carved in those walkers' heads. Not sure how much weight this holds as they seem to be following the comics pretty closely now though they have done that weird remix thing a few times and we're kind of overdue for it again.

maybe morgan is part of that first group that rick deters that makes deanna hand over control of alexandria for. The question remains though what the point of tagging walkers with a W/M would be. We're still waiting for a conclusion to the whisperers arc in the comics. could be some elements from that.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rick rubbing his secret gun/penis after checking out Jessie at the end is pretty funny, the horse wasn't very good at being a horse, and there was a zombie trapped under a dead sheep. Good episode.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's already here!!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think a good rule of thumb in zombie times would be to never walk through tall grass ever for any reason ever.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Please forgive me, I haven't read the last 5 pages and I just finished this week's episode.

This was the most "human" episode I have ever seen of TWD. There is a ton I could cover, but I want to get a few points out before I forget them.

Sasha, was a classic form of PTSD attempting to reintegrate to a societal life, and I think it was done perfectly. The "Governor lady", forgive me I don't remember her name, giving her a box of ammo and sending her out shows that she truly does understand, but DOESN'T agree, with what is happening.

The inclusion of Daryl shows that these people are trying and, I believe, realize that they are too "comfortable" for the current world that is going on outside their walls.

Rick, good god folks, is acting up a wonderful storm. You can see how he gets the societal inclusion but has spent so much time in his insular group that he still wants to defend them. The juxtaposition at the end with him and the zombie outside the wall. loving magic. It's like a mirror view. Inside he can be this constable, outside he's just another walker. Kudos to the writers, IMO.

Carol. HOLY gently caress, Carol. The scene with the kid. Holy gently caress man. You want dichotomy. You loving get dichotomy. Ying, yang. Heads, Tails. Black, White. Holy gently caress there it was. Both sides of the argument for her terrorizing that kid are plain to see.

This was probably the best written AND acted episode of this entire series and it really makes me impatient for this coming Sunday.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back through the last few pages and read how much my opinion is wrong. :haw:

Edit: Oh my gently caress, :aaa: you all AGREE with me?

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 10, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Remy Marathe posted:

So we have "A" car, Alexandria, Adultery, the Anarchy Rick has come to be king in, also maybe Apocalypse? And Alpha. Because Wolves are coming.

It's AIDS. annoying kid assumes Rick already hosed his mom.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I have been very patient and suffered through this lovely show week after week, but it will ALL be finally so very worth it if Aaron and Daryl make out and I can watch the Internet eat itself.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I like how Carol terrorizing that kid was more insane than shooting a little girl in the head.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cocks Cable posted:

I have been very patient and suffered through this lovely show week after week, but it will ALL be finally so very worth it if Aaron and Daryl make out and I can watch the Internet eat itself.

I figured out what's gonna happen. Eric's gonna die. He's gonna get killed by zombies or evil humans or something. Aaron's gonna be all messed up by it, he tried so hard to protect him but he couldn't, and Daryl's gonna comfort him, cause that's Daryl's entire deal for the past couple seasons, and then comes the makeouts.

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.
Carol just gets better and better.

Also:

Hey Rick nice to meet you, I'm going to get us a refill *disappears forever*

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What's the daryl/horsey subtext, is it that he wants to break the horsey in and then ride it hard... just like aaron and eric want to do to daryl?
This show's disgusting I tell ya what, next there'll be mixing of the races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I figured out what's gonna happen. Eric's gonna die. He's gonna get killed by zombies or evil humans or something. Aaron's gonna be all messed up by it, he tried so hard to protect him but he couldn't, and Daryl's gonna comfort him, cause that's Daryl's entire deal for the past couple seasons, and then comes the makeouts.

Oh dear....

• Locked thread