Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm seeing better than advertised mileage on my Mustang. I drive mainly in city conditions, and I drive it hard, and I'm seeing 10 L/100km, which google says is 24mpg.

I've got it to 6-7 L/100km on the highway, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
The EPA tests are garbage; the highway test tops out at 60mph (takes nearly 30 seconds to get there) and averages 48mph. Even their new "high speed" test averages 48mph with a few seconds at 80mph.

The distance and test durations are also much, much shorter than I expected for something consumers use to cross shop quite often:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

StormDrain posted:

That's insane, I'm driving a Ford Escape with that motor and getting 26 or so on my I-70 across Colorado trips, averaging 60mph but spending time at 80mph to offset the time spent in towns. It gets worse in town but I didn't think it would be that bad. I'm going to have to reset it next time I'm in Denver and driving around just to compare. The vehicles weigh nearly the same, but my profile is larger and higher off the ground, so it should be worse.

I guess to be fair, I've only really been keeping tabs on the fuel economy for the last 4 months, and it's been a drat cold winter here which I'm sure didn't help. The onboard display registers 30+mpg while cruising above 45 (the speed the car will shift into 6th).

As terrible as the transmission in my Focus was, I did like the mileage. You had to work to get less than 28mpg, and if you drove all highway it would sit pretty at 40mpg.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

eyebeem posted:

My antiquated 4x4 Nissan Titan driven fairly hard (but almost all highway) with a 5.6 V8 was at 13.3 lifetime average when I traded it in at 120,000 miles.

The titan and tundra though were more competing against the old 6.0L chevy without active fuel management or ford 5.4. They never were going as most fuel effecient.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The EPA tests are garbage; the highway test tops out at 60mph (takes nearly 30 seconds to get there) and averages 48mph.

Sounds like they do a really good job of approximating the general merging behaviour I encounter, in that case (although I find a 48 mph average speed to be wildly, wildly optimistic).

Have you seen how people drive in the real world? The tests aren't valid for people who drive in a way you and I would consider "normal," but I'm 100% sure there's a hefty contingent who basically drive exactly like that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My Golf TDI got around 31ish mpg on my last trip to and from Colorado. Winter fuel, winter temperatures, 80 mph, and unfavorable winds will do a number on that stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I get about 27.5mpg average on my daily drive, which is part 80mph, part stop and go on I-10, and part somewhere in between.

I'm pretty sure that it's impossible to get the Focus moving without getting into boost, but the needle sits at 0 tooling down the highway. Of course at anything over about 55mph, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of it hitting 30mpg, let alone the EPA estimated 32. At 80 with a slight headwind I was getting 23~24.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fknlo posted:

My Golf TDI got around 31ish mpg on my last trip to and from Colorado. Winter fuel, winter temperatures, 80 mph, and unfavorable winds will do a number on that stuff.

What year? My father gets 50+ in his 2000.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I get 41 in my C-Max hybrid. It's a good car with a bad reputation.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

You're using different sized gallons

e. Urrghh no just ignore me - I was sure that was a European model

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

A bad reputation for what? I don't hear anything about the CMax. I'd like to drive one but I can't get over that it has like 3 front ends stacked on top of each other.

My grandparents have one and love it, but I've never asked them really much about it. Looks like the newer ones picked a front end and stuck with it. The early ones had the top grille from a focus and another grille from a fusion and I guess a third grille for the radiator or something.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It had a really high EPA rated fuel economy figure for a while before Ford admitted that they made that number up and sent everyone who owned one $550.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scrap the EPA test, and have the OEMs paste a copy of a steady-state speed/load fuel burn table in the window. And no cute poo poo like making the table stop at 65mph. I want the entire table, from factory dry weight to MGVW, and from 10mph up to the factory top speed, whether that is gearing, power, or electronically limited. Anything with a tow hitch or available towing package should have a separate table, calculated with a notional enclosed box trailer of varying weight.

loving dumbed-down EPA test has probably burned more extra fuel than its saved.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
We drove through the Ford lot last night, I really like what they did with the front end of the Focus for '15. It's like a honeycombed version of the Fusion and looks better IMO.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Can't exactly scrap the EPA tests when manufacturers use it to meet CAFE standards out to like 2040.

The problem with tests is the same with any test - tests have rules, and you "study for the test." If you change how the test is conducted, engineers will just change their cars to do well in the test, real world results be damned.

If you want EPA like numbers, drive like they do when they test. If you want better than EPA numbers, drive better. Hypermilers can get better numbers than the EPA sticker. If you want to drive however you want, taking off from stoplights, going so fast that you're burning extra fuel to push air around, and accelerating up hills, don't expect to get EPA numbers.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Neptr posted:

Can't exactly scrap the EPA tests when manufacturers use it to meet CAFE standards out to like 2040.

The problem with tests is the same with any test - tests have rules, and you "study for the test." If you change how the test is conducted, engineers will just change their cars to do well in the test, real world results be damned.

If you want EPA like numbers, drive like they do when they test. If you want better than EPA numbers, drive better. Hypermilers can get better numbers than the EPA sticker. If you want to drive however you want, taking off from stoplights, going so fast that you're burning extra fuel to push air around, and accelerating up hills, don't expect to get EPA numbers.

Nah, CAFE is administered by the NHTSA and is unrelated to EPA fuel economy. It's a canard brought up by conservatives all the time that OBUMMER wants fleet fuel economy to go to 60mpg by 2030 or whatever which sounds crazy but is essentially achievable by cars today let alone 10 years from now.

The EPA figure is with 100% gas while most pump gas in North America has ethanol, which basically accounts for most of the difference in observed fuel economy, and a reason why EPA figures for diesels are more accurate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Does the C-Max have some kind of property in its driving dynamics that make literally every one I have seen drive like a complete and total knob? It's getting to the point where I no longer wonder what the white Ford tailgating me is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Does the C-Max have some kind of property in its driving dynamics that make literally every one I have seen drive like a complete and total knob? It's getting to the point where I no longer wonder what the white Ford tailgating me is.

Do those even exist in Canada? I don't think I've seen one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

What year? My father gets 50+ in his 2000.

2013. That kind of mileage went away a few years ago.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

PT6A posted:

Me neither, nor even really heard of them before

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have gotten 25.4 so far this winter in a decent mix of city and highway driving, which lines up pretty well with the EPA estimates for the 2.0 Ecoboost in the ST. In the summer I do a bit better due to the gas formulation.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here reading all of your guys' estimates at around 13 on Premium gas, haha. I guess that's what my thousand buck gas guzzler tax is about.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Throatwarbler posted:

The EPA figure is with 100% gas while most pump gas in North America has ethanol, which basically accounts for most of the difference in observed fuel economy, and a reason why EPA figures for diesels are more accurate.

Hah, that makes the most sense of anything. It's a little annoying to get non-ethanol gas, but I get a bump from 13->16.5ish mpg in my mustang when using it. Relatively small absolute improvement, pretty huge % wise though!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Isn't it sold as a hybrid only in the US? There's your answer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gwaihir posted:

Hah, that makes the most sense of anything. It's a little annoying to get non-ethanol gas, but I get a bump from 13->16.5ish mpg in my mustang when using it. Relatively small absolute improvement, pretty huge % wise though!

I can't seem to find 93+ octane corn-free fuel here. 89 is pretty common, and if I wanted to flaunt the taxman, Rec90 is comically easy to get, but both would make the engine in the car I burn fuel in go boom. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Ford doesn't sell a lot of them. They're actually okay cars to drive, much nicer than the Transit Connect, not as nice as the Focus.

I strongly suggest taking a look at them at the auto show this weekend. I'll be the guy hanging off the side of the demo Renegade shouting WOLVERINES.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gwaihir posted:

It's a little annoying to get non-ethanol gas

What an amazing understatement. I'd have to drive about 40 minutes to the nearest station that has any non-ethanol, and it's 89. The nearest 87 looks to be about an hour's drive.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Darko posted:

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here reading all of your guys' estimates at around 13 on Premium gas, haha. I guess that's what my thousand buck gas guzzler tax is about.

Geez how many goons bought Lamborghinis this year?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Where do you live again where there are actually any C Maxs? I've seen like 5 total

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They aren't uncommon in Southern California, though I probably see more energi (plug in) models than the base hybrid.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I've seen a line of 10 or so C-Maxes on the road, all white, all government plates. Probably sending people to FEMA camps to be re-educated or something

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Throatwarbler posted:

Nah, CAFE is administered by the NHTSA and is unrelated to EPA fuel economy. It's a canard brought up by conservatives all the time that OBUMMER wants fleet fuel economy to go to 60mpg by 2030 or whatever which sounds crazy but is essentially achievable by cars today let alone 10 years from now.

Fleet economy of 60mph is a HELL of a long ways away from having a few compact commuter car models reaching 60mpg in the test.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
I bought a Ford Fusion energi, and as a weird semi electric car, it is solid, the 20 mile ev range is great for free driving to and from work, while the 40ish gas range makes it better than my old eco box. I am wondering though, is there a reason why there is no diesel-electric hybrid for the best of all worlds, ev assisted for city driving, and diesel for driving highway?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Ryand-Smith posted:

I bought a Ford Fusion energi, and as a weird semi electric car, it is solid, the 20 mile ev range is great for free driving to and from work, while the 40ish gas range makes it better than my old eco box. I am wondering though, is there a reason why there is no diesel-electric hybrid for the best of all worlds, ev assisted for city driving, and diesel for driving highway?

People have been toying with the idea. I think Mazda will offer one in Japan.

This link says that their torque curves aren't complementary, since both diesels and electric motors make all their torque down low. I have no idea if that's actually a problem though. http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080282_diesel-hybrids-why-they-dont-make-as-much-sense-as-you-think

E: from an environmental perspective, don't diesels produce more CO2 and particulates anyway?

a primate fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 10, 2015

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Ryand-Smith posted:

Expensive electric parts with expensive diesel parts doesn't make for an attractive economy car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Diesel makes more sense in a range extended electric. set up like a locomotive or a mine truck, only with batteries and stuff. but then that's not good at high speed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

Diesel makes more sense in a range extended electric. set up like a locomotive or a mine truck, only with batteries and stuff. but then that's not good at high speed.

I want a teeny gas turbine that runs on diesel for a range extender.

Are you listening, Chevrolet? Third gen Volt with a turbine. Do it.

:shepspends:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

An electric-diesel-gasoline hybrid then. :v:

Maybe we can throw steam in there while we're at it!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I want a teeny gas turbine that runs on diesel for a range extender.

Are you listening, Chevrolet? Third gen Volt with a turbine. Do it.

:shepspends:

I was just saying that what poorly maintained buttom dollar built GM shitboxes need is a large chunk of lowest bid steel spinning at 100,000 RPM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
What does the dyno plot of an EV actually look like?