Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Zeruel posted:

Another low ranking part 5-er. Why didn't you like about it? Was Giorno boring, or something else? I'm sad at how many people disliked 5, or at least in comparison to the other parts.
I enjoyed Part 5 immensely, but if somebody's gotta take the bottom then it's Part 5 for me. Starts off strong and continues well enough, but that last string of fights really sapped my enthusiasm. I've also never been a big fan of Diavolo, who was much more interesting before his reveal.

Of course the existing translation would also be a factor, "Bruno's the protagonist," etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Part 5 was alright, but I really didn't like the cast. A lot of this is obviously because of the "translation" but I also despise their designs, and I don't think Mista or his Pistols would ever be entertaining to me in any language. They all have the world's most punchable designs.

On the other hand, I did like Diavolo and his design. Doppio was... eeehhhh....

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Part 5 is similar to Part 3 in structure in that it's a monster of the week story building up to taking on the big bad at the end. And while 5 had more interesting monsters of the week Diavolo was a less charismatic and interesting final boss than DIO and the final fight that the majority of the manga was building up to was a let-down. Particularly if you compare it to the DIO battle.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Yeah, I'm another in the camp who thinks Vento Aureo is the weakest part. I find the cast lacking and the main antagonist incredibly lame and flat. Although the entire Squadra di Esecuzione arc is my favourite out of the entire series.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish Risotto had stuck around longer

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just try not to judge Vento Aureo until I can read it in HQ because it's not really fair on the work itself to read a butchered effort and call it poo poo for it when for all intents and purposes, I haven't read a fair representation of the work.

It could turn out that the translations we have now weren't that far off in terms of giving people personalities and it is just a sort of bland arc, but I can't say for sure, so I try not to.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Zeruel posted:

Another low ranking part 5-er. Why didn't you like about it? Was Giorno boring, or something else? I'm sad at how many people disliked 5, or at least in comparison to the other parts.

This conversation is stupid and old and everyone hates it. The translations for it are poo poo. Giorno doesn't suck but his translated dialog sure does.

Also the jojo project tl isn't super great either, it looks really nice though. So there will never be a "good" part 5 TL until Viz picks it up.

Aurain posted:

It could turn out that the translations we have now weren't that far off in terms of giving people personalities and it is just a sort of bland arc, but I can't say for sure, so I try not to.

No it's just poo poo translations. If you don't like it still then it's whatever. Some of the cast is way more interesting in the japanese version. Giorno is supposed to be really bratty and sometimes deadpan instead of a cardboard cutout.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 8, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's good, then. I really hope we do eventually get to that stage.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah once Part 5 has been properly translated its #1 on my reread list. That being said i think the main weakness for 5 is that it doesnt have enough breathing room you stumble from one fight to the next non stop and there are some really fun stands, fights and characters but there needs to be a little bit of rest in between it all especially because i had just read part 4 and really enjoyed its pacing.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
At least there's hope that Viz will eventually get to Vento Aureo so we don't have to rely on self-destructing scanslation groups to gently caress around with it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Maybe Jotaro and Jonathan are more alike than I thought.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
See also the bit where he fights Kakyoin. The Joestar family has a pretty solid moral code through it, though it's a less prominent trait than being a quick thinker, being built like a brick shithouse or being a colossal dork.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-days-him.html

I swear to god Harrison Ford is irl Joseph Joestar right down to the multiple plane crashes.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

You know, I never put it together until I really started thinking about the JoJo family sitcom, but the first six parts of the manga all feature a different generation of JoJo.

First generation: Jonathan, son of George

Second generation: Giorno, son of Jonathan('s body).

Third generation: Joseph, grandson of Jonathan

Fourth generation: Josuke, son of Joseph

Fifth generation: Jotaro, grandson of Joseph

Sixth generation: Joylene, daughter of Jotaro.

What a hosed up family tree to shake out of the series. Wonder if Araki actually had the idea for Giorno in part for a JoJo to fill that gap, or it was just an accident. Or [ G R A V I T Y ].

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I've seen more hosed up family trees. For example, the series that School Days is a part of. That family tree doesn't branch.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I know someone named Jojo in real life

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Kurtofan posted:

I know someone named Jojo in real life

Do you believe in「GRAVITY」?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
There is only one snack appropriate for eating while watching Jojo's

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've reread D'Arby The Gambler, it's such a loving classic and I can't wait for the next 2 episodes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From the anime thread:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I legitimately would not mind a filler segment of Oingo and Boingo trying to kill Kakyoin. :allears:

Can't fuckin' wait for the next arc after D'Arby. :allears:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

From the anime thread:

Can't fuckin' wait for the next arc after D'Arby. :allears:

It's great having read up-to-date to see what wild theories they come up with :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wanna hear Hol Horse and Boingo sing the song for the ending.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zeruel posted:

It's great having read up-to-date to see what wild theories they come up with :allears:

Suzaku posted:

Or literally anything involving Iggy. :allears:

M-maybe not anything.

My name is Hol-Horse I can shoot my GuuuuUUUUUuuUuUuUUUn
But I'll mess it up because I'm supeeeer dumb.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

After reading a Let's Play of Persona 4, I have to say that I'm absolutely amazed at how much it seems like a video game version of Diamond is Unbreakable. A bunch of kids get Stands Personas and go around beating up murderers. Wacky shenanigans ensue.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, it's almost brazen with how similar the concept is at times. Persona 4 isn't nearly as entertaining, charming or well written. Nothing that has a zero amount of Kishibe Rohan ever could be.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Seriously though I was surprised to see people here trying to argue that persona 3/4 aren't inspired heavily by JJBA. Like, aside from the persona concept itself, in 3 you have the whole scene where you summon a persona for the first time, the fact that Hermes and Polydeuces/Caesar are pretty much literally Magician's Red and Silver Chariot respectively, the team having a stand/persona using dog, the list keeps going. Like yeah maybe on an individual level the references could be explained away but its pretty undeniable when taken as a whole.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a scene/still of sorts from the Persona 3/4 cross over game with the characters doing the 8 JoJo protagonist poses, so it's not like they don't have fun with it too.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Aurain posted:

There's a scene/still of sorts from the Persona 3/4 cross over game with the characters doing the 8 JoJo protagonist poses, so it's not like they don't have fun with it too.

Speaking of that picture, can anyone name them off for me? I only know:

Teddie: DIO (on steamroller)
Yu: Jonathan Joestar
Kanji: A million characters

I'm not a pose master yet...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

persona 5 isnt out yet but the protagonists are fabulous criminals so theres that

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Speaking of that picture, can anyone name them off for me? I only know:

Teddie: DIO (on steamroller)
Yu: Jonathan Joestar
Kanji: A million characters

I'm not a pose master yet...

Marge is supposed to be Gappy because :effort:
I can't really see Teddie too well but I think you're right.
Yu is definitely Jonathan
Chie is Jotaro
Yukiko is Josuke
Next to her is Giorno, (Naoto?)
Kanji is Stroheim I think mostly.
I can't see Yosuke (I think that's what they call him) but process of elimination would be a Joseph thing?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yosuke is Shadow DIO and Kanji is Joseph from one of the manga volume covers. Yes, Naoto's doing the Giorno thing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

Seriously though I was surprised to see people here trying to argue that persona 3/4 aren't inspired heavily by JJBA.

I don't think anyone was ever arguing this, just that when persona 1 was made that the personas were thought up independently from araki's stands, especially since the only similarities are "a person has a demon/god that is their soul and does magic" and "they have affinities with major arcana"

Of course by the time 3 got made, the people working on it would be like "this really is pretty similar to jojo"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Here are all of the poses for reference.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's missing this one, which is the no effort Gappy one.

It's funny because after that "meh" one, he gets a GOAT level one eventually

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I think you mean

A beautiful line to go with a beautiful pose :allears:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Aurain posted:

Yeah, it's almost brazen with how similar the concept is at times. Persona 4 isn't nearly as entertaining, charming or well written. Nothing that has a zero amount of Kishibe Rohan ever could be.

Diamond is Unbreakable wasn't well-written. The overarching plot was a mess even if the individual arcs usually managed to be entertaining.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Tonfa posted:

I think you mean

A beautiful line to go with a beautiful pose :allears:
I prefer

C
O
M
P
L
E
T
E
L
Y
!

Aurain posted:

It's missing this one, which is the no effort Gappy one.

It's funny because after that "meh" one, he gets a GOAT level one eventually

Just goes to show, never choose a pose to represent without proper consideration of future poses.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Vengarr posted:

Diamond is Unbreakable wasn't well-written. The overarching plot was a mess even if the individual arcs usually managed to be entertaining.

You could say the exact same thing about Persona 4.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
If it was entertaining then it was well written. Mission accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

If it was entertaining then it was well written.

You are an imbecile.

• Locked thread