Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So HBO's streaming service is $15 a month and Apple devices are apparently the exclusive launch partner -- no idea how long that will last.

You would have thought they'd update the AppleTV for that, but nope, just a price drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Burden posted:

I assume you are talking about the Sling TV and not Plex. I have Sling and don't have that issue. Only problem I have once in awhile is that the sling app with lock the Roku 3 up for around 30 seconds once I start changing channels. For the most part of works well.

Whoops, yeah, Sling. Their support e-mail just said "call us". It seems to be working fine tonight but I'll give it a shot if it happens again.

Edit: Yup, happened again. On hold with tech support now.

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 10, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I hope "Apple Device" means laptops too because while I have an Apple TV my roommate owns the TV and he's moving out at the end of the month.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boris Galerkin posted:

I hope "Apple Device" means laptops too because while I have an Apple TV my roommate owns the TV and he's moving out at the end of the month.
Doesn't look like it. Apple TV, iPad, iPhone.

hbonow.com is up, by the way, and has probably all the currently available info (not much) on it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you've got a PC, you can still get HBO Now when it launches.

Looks like the exclusive is just mobile and streaming devices. Anything computer (PC or Mac) can still use a browser and watch HBO Now. Android, Amazon, and Roku-type streaming devices will have the wait though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Roku has an HBO now app

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BigFactory posted:

Roku has an HBO now app

HBOgo or HBONow? 2 different things.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Thwomp posted:

If you've got a PC, you can still get HBO Now when it launches.

Looks like the exclusive is just mobile and streaming devices. Anything computer (PC or Mac) can still use a browser and watch HBO Now. Android, Amazon, and Roku-type streaming devices will have the wait though.

From the sound of things you just have to buy the subscription on an iOS device. After that you can watch it in a browser anywhere.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

MrBond posted:

From the sound of things you just have to buy the subscription on an iOS device. After that you can watch it in a browser anywhere.

Yep, requires iOS device to create an account. Great job locking out the majority of the market.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

AlmightyBob posted:

Yep, requires iOS device to create an account. Great job locking out the majority of the market.

Yes, the giant market of people who can't borrow their friend's iPad for five minutes to sign up for a $15/mo service.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

HBOgo or HBONow? 2 different things.

HBO go, sorry. So a sub for HBO now doesn't give you access to HBO go?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BigFactory posted:

HBO go, sorry. So a sub for HBO now doesn't give you access to HBO go?
No, they are two different services.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

SgtScruffy posted:

Whoops, yeah, Sling. Their support e-mail just said "call us". It seems to be working fine tonight but I'll give it a shot if it happens again.

Edit: Yup, happened again. On hold with tech support now.

Update on this, the tech support guy was completely dumbfounded and said that he would submit a ticket to engineering and the issue would be " fixed within 48 hours". I haven't checked since I called, but having previously worked in a call center, I'm going to guess it's not fixed :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SgtScruffy posted:

Update on this, the tech support guy was completely dumbfounded and said that he would submit a ticket to engineering and the issue would be " fixed within 48 hours". I haven't checked since I called, but having previously worked in a call center, I'm going to guess it's not fixed :(

"engineering"

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

is it known if you can cast HBO now from an iphone to a chromecast?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
New Sling news

quote:

A+E Networks’ channels – A&E, HISTORY, H2 and Lifetime – will be available by the end of March in Sling TV’s “Best of Live TV” core package.

Sling TV introduces two new add-on packs each priced at $5 per month:

- “Lifestyle Extra” includes truTV, Cooking Channel, DIY and WE tv, with FYI and LMN coming soon. With the addition of truTV, Sling TV now gives you additional access to March Madness games.
- “World News Extra” features Bloomberg TV, HLN, Euro News, France 24, NDTV 24/7, News 18 and Russia Today.

Pretty impressive get. Now I just hope they add a cheap way to add additional streams.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Oh sweet more packages

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Call Me Charlie posted:

New Sling news

Pretty impressive get. Now I just hope they add a cheap way to add additional streams.

is this only available as an "add-on"? or can you subscribe to just these channels for $5?

if its add-on only, that's disappointing.i thought al la carte tv had arrived

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not a la carte. You pay $5/block for a few additional blocks of channels. This is in addition to the $20/month or whatever for their base list of channels.

Same idea as regular cable, just cheaper and streaming.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 17, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

New Leaf posted:

So far, I've been incredibly impressed by the picture quality on Sling when I've had issues loading YouTube videos in the past. Granted, I've only had it a couple days so I haven't really had a lot of viewing hours, but so far, I'm very happy with it. And AMC is icing on the cake so I don't have to pay $2.99 per Walking Dead episode anymore.

Why do I feel completely the opposite? I've got a 100mbs connection and I think the picture looks like poo poo compared to a web dl of The Walking Dead.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cornjob posted:

is this only available as an "add-on"? or can you subscribe to just these channels for $5?

if its add-on only, that's disappointing.i thought al la carte tv had arrived

Like withak said - A&E, History, H2 and Lifetime are going into the base $20 a month service. The other two bundles are $5 a month each.

I don't think we'll ever get truly al la carte tv since the providers own multiple stations and want them together.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 17, 2015

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Why do I feel completely the opposite? I've got a 100mbs connection and I think the picture looks like poo poo compared to a web dl of The Walking Dead.

i would check the app settings and make sure you have it to set to highest quality, I pretty much feel the same way the picture quality is pretty impressive on my TV.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Photex posted:

i would check the app settings and make sure you have it to set to highest quality, I pretty much feel the same way the picture quality is pretty impressive on my TV.

Using their PC app through a HTCP and yes, I've checked it. I'll check it with a Fire stick that I have in another room, maybe the two are not equal. For a baseline I think Dish and Cable look like poo poo as well, or it could be that I've got a "gently caress off" sized screen.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 18, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Using their PC app through a HTCP and yes, I've checked it. I'll check it with a Fire stick that I have in another room, maybe the two are not equal. For a baseline I think Dish and Cable look like poo poo as well, or it could be that I've got a "gently caress off" sized screen.

It could also depends on the channel. I heard some of them only stream at 720p.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
This might be the wrong thread but I have a distribution amp and my cable modem is behind it. When I came home today I couldn't get online. I've got a tech coming so I figured I'd unhook the distribution amp I have hooked up so I can watch the stuff coming in the clear. It's worked fine for months. But unhooking it has solved the issue. What happened?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
W/ amp:

And without:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

PuTTY riot posted:

W/ amp:

And without:

Your return is too high with the distribution amp inline (53 is the absolute max you want to see on it, preferably not more than 50). That will cause your connection to drop periodically.

At a minimum I would run the modem off a passive 2 way split connected directly to the input line. So it will be input line -> 2 way with one leg to the modem, other to the distribution amp. That will leave your modem at around -6 Rx/48 Tx which should work well, assuming there are no other issues with the line.

That being said there may be another issue with the incoming line, or maybe not. This stuff will work fine with a borderline signal for a surprisingly long time. Additionally now that it's heating up that will easily take a borderline but OK signal into non-working territory (the threshold between pass and fail is also surprisingly thin).

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 19, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Sweet, thanks. My Wife and 2 year old are out of town this weekend, guess I know which of my half-dozen to-do projects is getting done.

There's no reason I can't have a splitter for 2 TVs behind the distribution amp, right? That would save me some attic climbing I'd rather avoid.

Edit: right now I have a splitter at the grounding block. That will go away and be replaced by a splitter following your suggestion.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 19, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

PuTTY riot posted:

Sweet, thanks. My Wife and 2 year old are out of town this weekend, guess I know which of my half-dozen to-do projects is getting done.

There's no reason I can't have a splitter for 2 TVs behind the distribution amp, right? That would save me some attic climbing I'd rather avoid.

Edit: right now I have a splitter at the grounding block. That will go away and be replaced by a splitter following your suggestion.

You should have the cable modem on its own and hook an antenna up for the TVs!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
A split after the distribution is probably OK as long as it doesn't knock the forward signal down too much (probably OK in your situation from what little I can see).

Try it, if it works leave it. If not try something else :v:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Yeah how it always was until today was --demarc-splitter-----------------amp--modem. I knew it wasn't optimal but it worked. That's the first screen shot.

The temp fix is--demarc-splitter----modem (just don't have an upstairs TV connected for the time being)

After this weekend it's gonna be demarc-grounding block-------------splitter-modem / amp.

I'm pretty sure that's what you meant I'm just good at making things more complicated than they should be

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

You should have the cable modem on its own and hook an antenna up for the TVs!

When they figure out I don't have a filter or encrypt everything that's what I'll do.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
If you're on TWC encryption is coming.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

After comcast encrypted QAM and I moved to an antenna i get more channels than i ever did for free off the cable tap.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'm on a small regional provider. It'll be easy enough to put one up and change the input on the amplifier when the time comes. I can only pull a couple of channels with a smaller directional antenna, I'm far away from towers, in a low spot and many of the channels are vhf so I'd need a big daddy antenna up high in the air. I just put an 8 foot vertical up on a 10 foot mast for ham radio stuff, lol.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

A friend of mine just gave me their information to do Simpson's World (big fan). We have been cable free for 4 years now so the idea of watching every episode in order makes me giddy like Martin dressed up as Calypso.

My question is that their provider is satellite so the IP does not have to be their cable provider (like TWC does). But does anyone know if there are device restrictions on it (# of devices on an account like Hulu or number of concurrent streams like Netflix).

I want to enjoy this but not if it causes problems for them.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

A friend of mine just gave me their information to do Simpson's World (big fan). We have been cable free for 4 years now so the idea of watching every episode in order makes me giddy like Martin dressed up as Calypso.

My question is that their provider is satellite so the IP does not have to be their cable provider (like TWC does). But does anyone know if there are device restrictions on it (# of devices on an account like Hulu or number of concurrent streams like Netflix).

I want to enjoy this but not if it causes problems for them.

I've been borrowing my parents' u-verse login for a few things. they haven't been shut off yet and they're 2 states away. I think 2 other siblings do as well. What specific service are you using/wanting to use?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Just the FXNow Roku channel.

I am happy to hear that this should work out well.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I wish they had a fire TV app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, I've decided to give this cord-cutting thing a try (non-coincidentally, the weekend after the Verge's cost calculator thing got posted) and am looking into cancelling my Comcast TV service. I found a pretty sweet Internet-only deal on their website, but when I try to go through the process of signing up for it it's not clear from the website's word choice whether I'm replacing my current deal with it or just adding it. (For the record, this is what I see there.) Would signing up for this negate my TV service, or would it just "upgrade" my Internet service and keep the TV service active? If it's the latter and I have to call them, do I have a good shot at convincing them to let me use this promo pricing, or would I have to settle for something less awesome slash more expensive?