Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

88h88 posted:

Internet suggests under $1200 per oz. An iphone 4 weighs just under 5oz. A solid gold iphone 4 would cost therefore cost $6000. $10k is some moneyyyyyyyyy.

Look at this guy who doesn't know about Troy ounces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's what Apple says:

quote:

Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant.

Still leaves me wondering about showers though.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Apple Ring and Apple Tiara is going to be crazy y'all. I mean, i'll just settle for the Sport Ring as I don't expect to need more than 40 minutes of ring use per day. I havent made up my mind about an Apple Tiara yet until Christy Turltington tells me how joggable it is around Tanzanians.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Logikv9 posted:

At the end of the day, the Apple Watch will be a success and will be improved upon with upcoming generations. It doesn't matter how lovely it is now, it'll (probably) get better and then eventually we'll all forget how trash it was.

Remember the first generation Air? The one you couldn't charge using standard magsafe without slightly moving it off a table? Yeah, me neither.

Or iPhone. No apps, no 3g, no mms, no nothing. But everyone is going to buy this as well, and by the time they make it worthwhile, nobody will remember the iwatch as anything other than revolutionary.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

smackfu posted:

Still leaves me wondering about showers though.

IPX7 is basically IP67 without the dust protection. It will be fine for showers (unless your showers last longer than 30 minutes).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's even better up here in Canada

top end Apple Watch "Watch Edition" is 22 motherfucking thousand dollars

You can buy a Cartier Tank watch for a measly ten thousand and that will last several generations.

Twenty Two Thousand Canadian dollars.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I'm wondering how they'll go about announcing the price for the Edition. I know that to a large subset of the population spending upwards of $10k on a watch isn't exactly a huge deal but with just how public and viral the press conferences have become it'll be interesting to see if they actually put a number to it, and if so, how much of a backlash that will cause with the casual / white-noise crowd. Having them only available at select high end jewelry stores would help divert some of that attention (as opposed to placing it along side the other models in the online store), but this still feels like something that annoying people will freak out about.
hehe.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
What's the chance this thing is the next iPod Hifi?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

It's even better up here in Canada

Yes but on the bright side your sports edition is made out of aluminum instead of aluminum which sounds much fancier.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Three Olives posted:

Yes but on the bright side your sports edition is made out of aluminum instead of aluminum which sounds much fancier.

I can't tell if is an intentional misspelling or not.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Second time youve posted this dude who cares

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Three Olives posted:

Is this a po-TAY-to/po-TAH-to thing?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Who the gently caress showers with a watch on anyway?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So the sport is a real piece of poo poo compared to the watch huh

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Three Olives posted:

If you meant "Aluminium", well I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the only way you'll hear that in Canada is if an actor says it while some canuck is watching Coronation Street or Doctor Who.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Second time youve posted this dude who cares

loving seriously. Same dude who assumed that, because I said people with enough money to buy a Gold Apple Watch Edition would prefer a Rolex anyway, I meant the company is a flop and everyone should dump their shares. Idiot.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The fact that your go-to watch is a Rolex shows that you don't know very much at all about watches, though.

BTW, has anyone found exactly what you CAN do with the watch when you don't have your Iphone nearby?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Agronox posted:

The fact that your go-to watch is a Rolex shows that you don't know very much at all about watches, though.

BTW, has anyone found exactly what you CAN do with the watch when you don't have your Iphone nearby?
Tell time

I would assume you could do the simple fitness tracking thing (sans GPS) but who knows maybe they offload that to the phone CPU to save battery.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Agronox posted:

There better be an app that explains to a hungry African child exactly how much money you spent on your watch that will be outdated in a year after your iPhone gets stolen.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Agronox posted:

Admittedly. Why don't you enlighten me, then? What is a comparable ten-thousand-dollar watch that guys who buy ten-thousand-dollar watches jizz in their pants over?

Also - after looking on Apple's site where they highlight some of the poo poo that Apple Watch can actually do, I feel like there are some baseline functions that would make owning one cool. $349 cool? Sure. $1k+ cool? No.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What features?

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

horse mans posted:

The watch body is made of gold. Gold is expensive.

Actually the watch case is made of a metal matrix composite of which somehow if measured by mass it is 75% gold but if measured by volume it only contains 30% gold, basically Apple's 18kt gold weighs a lot less than what you normally consider 18kt gold. In other words the 10 thousand dollar price tag is definitely not because of the case.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

mikemil828 posted:

Actually the watch case is made of a metal matrix composite of which somehow if measured by mass it is 75% gold but if measured by volume it only contains 30% gold, basically Apple's 18kt gold weighs a lot less than what you normally consider 18kt gold. In other words the 10 thousand dollar price tag is definitely not because of the case.

To add to this, if you took other 18kt gold watches to a gold shop they would give you a lot more money for it than for an Edition Apple Watch because it's loving fake gold.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm surprised all of the Apple Edition Bracelets aren't metal or some kind of exotic alloy. I can't get a gold milanese loop to pair with my gold watch?

I don't know enough to judge if the device will be successful. I'm sure it'll fly with workout buffs or anyone who already doesn't mind spending money on watches.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bottom Liner posted:

To add to this, if you took other 18kt gold watches to a gold shop they would give you a lot more money for it than for an Edition Apple Watch because it's loving fake gold.

However it'd be a bad idea to take either to the gold shop since they're both worth more than their gold content alone.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

Admittedly. Why don't you enlighten me, then? What is a comparable ten-thousand-dollar watch that guys who buy ten-thousand-dollar watches jizz in their pants over?

Sorry, I was being rude. Let me go at this another way. I'm not a watch guy either; I stopped wearing one a week after I got my first cell phone, and it was a $25 Timex anyway. (I have a friend who pisses away tens of thousands of dollars on these things though so I learn a little by osmosis.)

The point is that if you're not into higher end watches and jewelry and designer whatnots, the Edition watches obviously aren't for you. They aren't for me either. If I get one of these things it'll be a Sport because I'm more about functionality and cost than looks. But for many people looks matter just as much, if not more, than cost.

So I can sort of see what Apple is going for here. Where does the iPhone tend to do better in the US? Rich coastal cities. The kinds of places where people might actually care about a Milanese loop or 18k gold. The kinds of places where they won't be content with the plastic band for the proletariat. I'd bet that at least 3/4 of the sales are going to be the base Sport model, but there are people out there who just wouldn't buy it if that was their only choice, which is why the more expensive models exist.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
The 10k watch is obviously for the extremely wealthy, celebrities, and young people with way too much money on their hands who just don't give a gently caress.

For any average or even mostly successful person the ten thousand dollar price tag is just a joke.

I mean say you make $100,000 a year. That is a very good salary no matter who you are. If you are at all responsible then cannot come close to affording an apple watch unless you truly don't give a gently caress.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

dutchbstrd posted:

I mean say you make $100,000 a year. That is a very good salary no matter who you are. If you are at all responsible then cannot come close to affording an apple watch unless you truly don't give a gently caress.

Lets say you make $100,000 a year. I'm still trying to figure out why $350 for an Apple Watch is money well spent. Like, if I squint I can kind of see the attempted parallels to the iPhone announcement: Internet communicator, widescreen iPod, mobile phone. Except timepiece, fitness tracker, and personal communication device just don't resonate with me.

The timepiece functionality is so trivial as to be laughable. Faux-faces, faux-complications, etc. The face is only one part of a timepiece. Its casing and band are huge aspects of that, both of which are fairly limited at the sub-$1,000 level. The fitness tracker could have been truly novel, if the original rumors of a multi-sensor device panned out. As it is, it is extremely limited. As for the personal communicator, I want to like the idea, I really do, but ambient heartbeat and cutely animated drawings strike as a bullet point feature, not a tentpole.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it seems you like Apple Watch is for the person who gives no fucks at every price point. For the millionaire, there is gold and a Milanese loop. For the hundred thousandaire, there is stainless steal and leather. And for the college kid living high on the hog on student loans, there is aluminum and fluoroelastomer. But at no point in that can I see anyone with fucks to give picking up one of these things. I hope to be proven wrong though!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I don't know man, I remember five years ago people were saying similar things about the iPad. "What do I need a giant iPhone for, that can't even make calls!" Go back farther and it's "I can't imagine why anyone would want an iPhone, how am I going to type without a keyboard!"

Apple has earned the benefit of the doubt I would think. They're by no means perfect but it's worth seeing how people use the watch a month or two after release before dismissing it.

Personally, I hate running with my phone, wallet, and other garbage so if I can play music, buy poo poo, and track miles without needing the phone on me I'll preorder a Sport.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Agronox posted:

I don't know man, I remember five years ago people were saying similar things about the iPad. "What do I need a giant iPhone for, that can't even make calls!" Go back farther and it's "I can't imagine why anyone would want an iPhone, how am I going to type without a keyboard!"

Apple has earned the benefit of the doubt I would think. They're by no means perfect but it's worth seeing how people use the watch a month or two after release before dismissing it.

I agree, they are great at creating devices people don't think they want or need until all of a sudden the whole world has one and can't live without it.

quote:

Personally, I hate running with my phone, wallet, and other garbage so if I can play music, buy poo poo, and track miles without needing the phone on me I'll preorder a Sport.

You have to tether to your phone to do all of those things, unfortunately (and shame on them for conveniently leaving that out today and hiding it in the small text on the store page). That's where the watch falls flat, and it's going to be confusing to consumers because of it. It SHOULD be a stand alone device, but it's an ACCESSORY TO YOUR PHONE.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
gently caress it. I going to pony up the G for the 42mm stainless with link.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A Rolex is an excellent comparison to an Edition watch as both are masstige goods that are not as prestigious as they want you to think they are. Rolex wraps itself in sport motifs as well. To the point where now that I think about it I'm surprised apple didn't buy the brand ala Beats.

And as for the 'who will buy edition editions' question, it is pretty much a purpose built device for the foreign money kids that drive over the top luxury cars on us college campuses. Its a perfect signal of wealth as everyone in the usa that is in their age band knows the exact value of the gold watch and it will not be fake able for another year or so. Its an ideal youth status symbol

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 10, 2015

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Agronox posted:

In the beginning the ipad only really had average sales until they found something that made it considerably better than the competition, which was the retina display. The iphone was the same until they came up with the concept of apps and they made a 3g phone. The ipod as well until the itunes music store opened and you could use it with Windows computer. Trying to make the case that people were wrong about Apple's other devices is lousy because at the time they were right, until Apple came up with something that changed everything.

The thing is, what really can you do with a smartwatch?

shadow puppet of a posted:

A Rolex is an excellent comparison a edition watch as both are masstige goods that are not as prestigious as they want you to think they are. Rolex wraps itself in sport motifs as well. To the point where now that I think about it I'm surprised apple didn't buy the brand ala Beats.

Not really, a Rolex can be reasonably relied upon to still work years down the road also retain it's monetary value. Anyway Rolex is a private company, you can't buy what isn't for sale

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 10, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Private does not mean not for sale to the right money.

A smart Rolex-type brand might want to get out now on a high point of valuation as generational changes mean the market for selling tourbillion complications to grey-haired dentists is at a sunset and the market for selling a new generation of gold-tech begins to dawn.

Its like the Corvette and other classic car brands, time is running out as kids do not lust after a car aimed at 60 year old men in an age when fewer and fewer kids bother with getting drivers licenses.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 10, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I keep going back and forth on the Apple Watch. I had a Android Wear device previously when I had an Android phone and I really liked it. I have a Pebble now and it's pretty good, but I miss being able to act on notifications without having to take my phone out--I'm just not sure if I $400 miss actionable notifications.

The fitness functions, which I kinda shrugged off at first, might be the thing that pushes me over to the side of buying the watch. I have a month to think about it, at least.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Private does not mean not for sale to the right money.

A smart Rolex-type brand might want to get out now on a high point of valuation as generational changes mean the market for selling tourbillion complications to grey-haired dentists is at a sunset and the market for selling a new generation of gold-tech begins to dawn.

Its like the Corvette and other classic car brands, time is running out as kids do not lust after a car aimed at 60 year old men in an age when fewer and fewer kids bother with getting drivers licenses.

When private in this case means private charity, it kinda does.

Anyway if the Swiss were going to sell out, they would have sold out a long time ago, what's happening now with smartwatches is trivial to them compared to when quartz watches became commonplace.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Trivial in the sense that there is an entirely new function to 'watches' that a company like Rolex will never be able to participate in among a generation that has never worn them for prior timekeeping reasons? I don think so.

Rolex will survive in some form, but the global market for seamasters and millegauss replicas is scheduled to contract harder than ceramic filled 18k gold.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Trivial in the sense that there is an entirely new function to 'watches' that a company like Rolex will never be able to participate in among a generation that has never worn them for prior timekeeping reasons? I don think so.

Rolex will survive in some form, but the global market for seamasters and millegauss replicas is scheduled to contract harder than ceramic filled 18k gold.

And what would that function be? Twitter updates? Mechanical watches were made obsolete by quartz watches in the 70s, there really hasn't been any reason to buy mechanical watches for around 45 years and yet people still do because they are specifically drawn to those types of watches and the companies that make them. And these are the types of people that Apple is for some reason trying to sell their 17 thousand dollar quartz watch to.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm not even sure Rolex is the right comparison. The price on other prestige watches that are a tier lower than Rolex-or even lower-hasn't gone down and the companies making them haven't gone out of business. These watches don't have the same resale value or reputation of reliability as Rolexes yet there's still clearly a market for them.

And beyond that, things brands of watches that used to be on department store racks for $100 now make and sell models in the $500-$1000 range. It's hard to not acknowledge that far fewer people are buying watches, but it seems to me like the people who are buying them must be buying more and paying more for them, despite the fact we're living in an age where a watch is almost useless. I feel more like Apple is going after Ecko and Fossil than anything.

I do think that Apple watches can fail. But I think if they do it's not going to be because they didn't sell enough high ends models. I think if it flops it's because the Sport doesn't get any traction and then Apple doesn't have a lot of reason to continue to support the watches three years from now.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I think the debate on the Apple Watch Edition is a bit silly. No one here is likely going to buy it, whether it sells well or not, it's a huge marketing boost that gets people talking about the Apple Watch. Probably 80% of the US population is now aware of a smart watch if only because a $10K watch provokes everyone to give an opinion.

So the real question for me is the debate between Sport and regular, and whether it's worth the upgrade? I'll get the watch, so I see one of 4 price points:

$400 for Sport watch, larger size. Sport band.
$600 for regular watch, sport band.
$550 for Sport watch, nicer band (Milanese, Leather, whichever)
$750 for regular watch, nicer band.

So I guess it's two questions: is the nicer watch worth the upgrade, and are the nicer bands worth the upgrade?

Edit: one more question: did Apple say if 3rd parties will be allowed to make bands for the watch?

Ugh, I will say, realizing you can get an iPad Air 2 for these prices is a bit of a downer.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 10, 2015

• Locked thread