Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just checked and I don't have anything like that :confused:

Have you upgraded to 8.2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Accipiter posted:

Have you upgraded to 8.2?
Oh poo poo, I had no idea that a new update came out today :haw:

I missed the conference earlier because I had work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What's the snappiest phone app that'll sync to PC/web? I know evernote is popular. Something like the "reminders" app on the iphone but I can easily pull up/sync/add stuff on PC and across multiple devices. I guess adding actual long notes instead of just bullets would be nice too.

I use One Note on the iPad. It's my primary note organizer for work, and I've started a new notebook to use for home stuff too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What's the snappiest phone app that'll sync to PC/web? I know evernote is popular. Something like the "reminders" app on the iphone but I can easily pull up/sync/add stuff on PC and across multiple devices. I guess adding actual long notes instead of just bullets would be nice too.

Lastly you guys have any luck with any sleep hypnosis apps?

I use Evernote. It's got a leg up on OneNote for me because of third-party support (Drafts, Neato, ScannerPro and my home duplex scanner, etc.). And the web clipper is great.

I don't believe in hypnosis, so no. If you send me like 15 bucks I'll sacrifice a chicken and do a little dance for you and I promise that you'll sleep well for about 10 days, though. Chakra alignment app Kickstarter coming soon, as well!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Noisli is a really great ambient sound app. You can get it free via Starbucks at the moment, and I use it as a sleep aid and it works really well.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, so I just found out Gmail and Chrome are vastly superior to Mail and Safari aside from Gmail having no mark all option.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Give Outlook a try as well. :) No Priority Inbox marking option there though, but neither does the Gmail app.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, so I just found out Gmail and Chrome are vastly superior to Mail and Safari aside from Gmail having no mark all option.

You can try Inbox (also by Google). It tries to organize your mail for you, and you can dismiss entire bundles at once.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Super Dude posted:

You can try Inbox (also by Google). It tries to organize your mail for you, and you can dismiss entire bundles at once.

And Inbox doesn't mess up your normal gmail folders either.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Going to give Evernote an honest try, thanks!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

LionYeti posted:

And Inbox doesn't mess up your normal gmail folders either.

Inbox fucks up almost everything up for me, though. I'm beyond okay with email the way it is and don't know why Silicon Valley wants to change it so badly.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Going to give Evernote an honest try, thanks!

Evernote is good, and I use it quite a bit, but if you just want to take notes it's complete overkill. If you're into keeping it simple, Simplenote is really great for simple cross-platform notes.

Edit: just looked at this, and you'll need to use this page for Windows clients.

maduin fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 10, 2015

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a way I can listen to FLAC on my iPhone?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

obi_ant posted:

I wanna say VLC, but it might have issues

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Google is your friend.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flac-player/id390532592?mt=8

Alternatively, convert to ALAC which it will play natively (this is a very quick process, but I guess if you have lots, it can take awhile and I can vaguely understand why you wouldn't want to, but playing lossless on an iPhone seems like a waste of time in the best circumstances).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Convert it to AAC you dork.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He'll lose the added warmth that FLAC offers in his $10 earbuds.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

maduin posted:

Evernote is good, and I use it quite a bit, but if you just want to take notes it's complete overkill. If you're into keeping it simple, Simplenote is really great for simple cross-platform notes.

Edit: just looked at this, and you'll need to use this page for Windows clients.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Lol @ FLAC

also today I learned that the stock clock app can set a timer to "stop playing" huh. That's cool

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I would like you to know, I have the *best* headphones Skullcandy has to offer. I also have the best Beats by Dre.

Also no FLAC, got it.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Endless Mike posted:

Hey man, those eighth-order harmonics matter!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Google Calendar just dropped. Looks nice but no Notification Bar widget yet. Oddly enough I couldn't find it from searching the App Store but this link should work: Google Calendar by Google, Inc.
https://appsto.re/ie/8XXm2.i

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Google Calendar just dropped. Looks nice but no Notification Bar widget yet. Oddly enough I couldn't find it from searching the App Store but this link should work: Google Calendar by Google, Inc.
https://appsto.re/ie/8XXm2.i

Name is truncated on the home screen (Google Cal...) means it's a no go.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maduin posted:

They wanted to give you the authentic Android experience.

Looks nice, but Fantastical works well for me.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

maduin posted:

Let me tell you about this weather app's icon, hoo boy

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Let me tell you about this weather app's icon, hoo boy

Please don't blaspheme against Jony Ive in this thread.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The icon also doesn't have the day's date on it.
Is that a thing exclusive to Apple Calendar?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The icon also doesn't have the day's date on it.
Is that a thing exclusive to Apple Calendar?

Yes, which is why all other calendar apps suck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gotta agree with you there.

Ridiculous that in TYOOL 2015 you can't get that on custom apps.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Guys what if I told you I'm in the middle of designing (NOT developing) a new weather widget? How many pages can we get out of that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Dave posted:

Guys what if I told you I'm in the middle of designing (NOT developing) a new weather widget? How many pages can we get out of that?

Depends on who the developer uses as a source for weather data.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, which is why all other calendar apps suck.

Jailbreak and then you have options to put Calendar.app on your home screen but then have it open to Fantastical.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

The Dave posted:

What a coincidence, man. I'm currently the director of a couple of fantastic apps right now. I have no Photoshop skills or the ability to code but I've got GREAT ideas, I just need a few people to put them together.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
whats a good app for my cat

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
cat games, amazingly enough.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Zigmidge posted:

cat games, amazingly enough.

Also, while not an app (sorry), there is legit music for cats. One of my cats is indifferent when I play the samples, but the other perks up, jumps on my lap, and stares at the screen while they play. I guess, as with catnip and dancer toys, YMMV.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

maduin posted:

What a coincidence, man. I'm currently the director of a couple of fantastic apps right now. I have no Photoshop skills or the ability to code but I've got GREAT ideas, I just need a few people to put them together.

If we can just get a 'computer guy' we have a startup.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Convert it to AAC you dork.

Speaking of which, is there a preferred app for converting FLAC to AAC or MP3 on OS X these days? It's been literally years since I've bothered, and I've got a hard drive full of old concert bootlegs that I should maybe listen to every now and again, and gently caress doing that any way other than through my phone in TYOOL Two Thousand And Fifteen.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not sure if there is a better option these days, but I've always used XLD for music file conversion.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

Speaking of which, is there a preferred app for converting FLAC to AAC or MP3 on OS X these days? It's been literally years since I've bothered, and I've got a hard drive full of old concert bootlegs that I should maybe listen to every now and again, and gently caress doing that any way other than through my phone in TYOOL Two Thousand And Fifteen.

I've always used Max, but you may want to use XLD, as Max hasn't been updated in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

bobfather posted:

Jailbreak and then you have options to put Calendar.app on your home screen but then have it open to Fantastical.

Never heard of that! What's the tweak called?