Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ozz81 posted:

I had a sort of PC illiterate call last Friday from a client - really sweet girl, barely ever calls in unless there's something serious going on. She tells me that when she tries to type anything into a web search or modify a document, the cursor jumps back and forth and sometimes overwrites things that she already entered. I remote in, take a look at it, and the first thing I notice is she's entering dollar amounts into a spreadsheet.

:) = me
:j: = client

:) Are you by chance using the number pad to the right?
:j: Yeah! What's going on? I've never seen this before...
:) Hit the Num Lock key and try again.
:j: *hushed* Oh my god...I can't believe I did that...:doh:
:) It happens, no big deal - what about the other typing problem?
:j: When I put the cursor at the start of a word and type, it overwrites what's there!
:) Hit the Insert key and give it another shot.
:j: Seriously? That's ALL it was?? I feel so dumb now...
:) Nah, don't worry, this is probably the easiest fix I've had in at least a month!

At least now she knows and it was a really silly call we both laughed about when it was done. I love simple things like that.

I'm fine with this. The problem is when you solve either/both of the problems and they accuse you of changing something to have made it happen and/or call you the next week with the exact same issue and fight you on the resolution because "That didn't fix it last time!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

My favorite "XYZ last time!" comments are the ones where they claim that our product used to do something physically impossible. Yes sir, your box has always had a power cable. No it didn't used to 'just work'.

I also had a guy tell me with a straight face that he never had this problem with one of our products before he switched from his old service provider to us.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Seravadon posted:

Operations manager decided to bring in a container of hot sauce to work today.
Said container was stored in the same bag as his laptop.
The container broke. Because of course it broke.
Someone now has to rip his laptop open and clean it out.

I don't know why I am surprised anymore.
Pull ssd, insert in a different laptop, give back to user. Call dell.

Ozz81 posted:

I had a sort of PC illiterate call last Friday from a client - really sweet girl, barely ever calls in unless there's something serious going on. She tells me that when she tries to type anything into a web search or modify a document, the cursor jumps back and forth and sometimes overwrites things that she already entered. I remote in, take a look at it, and the first thing I notice is she's entering dollar amounts into a spreadsheet.

:) = me
:j: = client

:) Are you by chance using the number pad to the right?
:j: Yeah! What's going on? I've never seen this before...
:) Hit the Num Lock key and try again.
:j: *hushed* Oh my god...I can't believe I did that...:doh:
:) It happens, no big deal - what about the other typing problem?
:j: When I put the cursor at the start of a word and type, it overwrites what's there!
:) Hit the Insert key and give it another shot.
:j: Seriously? That's ALL it was?? I feel so dumb now...
:) Nah, don't worry, this is probably the easiest fix I've had in at least a month!

At least now she knows and it was a really silly call we both laughed about when it was done. I love simple things like that.
Similarly.
"My touchpad stopped working"
"Is there a little light in the upper left corner of the touchpad?"
"yes"
"tap it twice"
"OMG!"

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 9, 2015

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Today I got one of those calls where the user had reassociated .lnk files to Acrobat. How the hell do these people even do that?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Knormal posted:

Today I got one of those calls where the user had reassociated .lnk files to Acrobat. How the hell do these people even do that?

Actually, that's probably not the user's fault. Adobe is known for doing that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Actually, that's probably not the user's fault. Adobe is known for doing that.

I had that, but .lnk associated to Word instead. So probably not Adobe.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

nielsm posted:

I had that, but .lnk associated to Word instead. So probably not Adobe.

Some quick :google: told me that MS preferred method to fix this, is to replace the registry entry. Is this what you wound up doing?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Some quick :google: told me that MS preferred method to fix this, is to replace the registry entry. Is this what you wound up doing?

There was some broken stuff under HKCU somewhere that needed to be deleted, so the original HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes registration took over again.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ilkhan posted:

Pull ssd, insert in a different laptop, give back to user. Call dell.

Similarly.
"My touchpad stopped working"
"Is there a little light in the upper left corner of the touchpad?"
"yes"
"tap it twice"
"OMG!"

This took me a minute to figure out the first time. It's not what I'd call intuitive.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

There are registry entries that control all file associations. Microsoft should have fixits available for download that would fix .lnk, .bat, .exe, and folder associations if you don't feel like digging on the registry yourself.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

guppy posted:

This took me a minute to figure out the first time. It's not what I'd call intuitive.

Our HP laptops don't even light up when you do that, so I had no idea it was a thing until people needed help with them. I even have one where the trackpad just went bonkers until I updated the bios :shrug:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I just love it when we get 100+ account compromise tickets dumped in the queue halfway through a shift. Today had been going suspiciously too well.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, a couple months ago, I reprogrammed a terminal for a salon that we boarded. It was a specific model that I had never dealt with before, but it was in a family of models that I was decently familiar with, and everything looked the same programming-wise, so I continued as normal. Well, Thursday, I get called to go out there.

Now, the terminal was supposed to be set up to take tips, and as far as I knew, it was. It would allow the merchant to adjust tips on transactions, it would report the tips when it settled out at the end of the night, but for some strange reason, the tips were not getting deposited into the merchants account. The regular amounts charged in the transaction were moving just fine, but not the tips. No one noticed for all this time until a customer called one of the stylists and said "Hey, you charged me for the appointment, but not the tip. Did you get the tip?"

I ended up spending over an hour on the phone with tech support, trying to figure out why it wasn't working. We tried different programs built in different systems, different template types, enabling and disabling various options, all with the merchant watching me and getting more and more nervous the whole time. Finally, I get it all figured out. See, when I requested the file be built, I said it was a retail establishment with tips enabled. This works fine for other models in this family of terminal, but not for this particular one. What it'll do is act like everything's ok, but secretly just not report the tips as part of the transaction when it batches out. So for the last couple of months, this merchant had been paying her stylists their tips, without collecting them from the customers. And after adding up all the incorrect transactions, she was in the hole to the tune of ~$1900.

After all of that, I had to submit a ticket to have all those transactions' details provided to us from First Data so we could reprocess $1900 worth of $5, $10, and $20 tips. I'm pretty sure the girl who handles our tickets now hates my guts, but I'm the one who's going to have to rerun all those transactions.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Volmarias posted:

This was almost a decade ago, but when I was helping a friend put their stuff into storage at a storage facility, the gate was controlled by an Apple ][e. Totally blew my mind.

Are you sure you weren't just playing Fallout?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

neogeo0823 posted:

I just got off the phone with Micros/Oracle. It used to be that I could call their local office and just speak to a person and get things straightened out. Recently, they put a new phone system in place where they really want you to leave a message instead of talking to a live person. After dancing through the phone tree for 10 minutes trying to figure out which options would let me eventually speak to a human, I had to wait on hold for literally an hour while they looped 27 seconds on slow piano music, followed by 30 seconds of "Sorry, all of our agents are currently busy assisting other customers. You may press 1 to leave a voicemail, and your call will be returned in the order in which it was received, or if you want, you may continue to hold for the next available agent." *pause* "Please hold for the next available agent. Your call is very important to us, and will be answered in the order in which it was received."

When I finally did get on the phone with someone, explain what's going on with our client, and get the client on the phone, it turns out that the local office had one of their techs personally call the merchant and the problem is getting sorted out this afternoon, so I didn't have to do any of th - *drops call* :suicide:

Why not just leave the voice mail and do something better with your life? It even says in the dialogue that you retain your position.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, a couple months ago, I reprogrammed a terminal for a salon that we boarded. It was a specific model that I had never dealt with before, but it was in a family of models that I was decently familiar with, and everything looked the same programming-wise, so I continued as normal. Well, Thursday, I get called to go out there.

Now, the terminal was supposed to be set up to take tips, and as far as I knew, it was. It would allow the merchant to adjust tips on transactions, it would report the tips when it settled out at the end of the night, but for some strange reason, the tips were not getting deposited into the merchants account. The regular amounts charged in the transaction were moving just fine, but not the tips. No one noticed for all this time until a customer called one of the stylists and said "Hey, you charged me for the appointment, but not the tip. Did you get the tip?"

I ended up spending over an hour on the phone with tech support, trying to figure out why it wasn't working. We tried different programs built in different systems, different template types, enabling and disabling various options, all with the merchant watching me and getting more and more nervous the whole time. Finally, I get it all figured out. See, when I requested the file be built, I said it was a retail establishment with tips enabled. This works fine for other models in this family of terminal, but not for this particular one. What it'll do is act like everything's ok, but secretly just not report the tips as part of the transaction when it batches out. So for the last couple of months, this merchant had been paying her stylists their tips, without collecting them from the customers. And after adding up all the incorrect transactions, she was in the hole to the tune of ~$1900.

After all of that, I had to submit a ticket to have all those transactions' details provided to us from First Data so we could reprocess $1900 worth of $5, $10, and $20 tips. I'm pretty sure the girl who handles our tickets now hates my guts, but I'm the one who's going to have to rerun all those transactions.

Also double post/quote, but are you saying a bunch of people are going to get small amounts charged to their card weeks after the initial purchase? That's going to piss a ton of people off wondering what the charges are. It would probably make things worse.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

NZAmoeba posted:

Why not just leave the voice mail and do something better with your life? It even says in the dialogue that you retain your position.

Maybe I just got unlucky, but based on past experiences with Micros, I stay on the line. I'll put it on speakerphone at a low volume and work on other tasks.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
A call came in from a customer infected with a cryptolocker variant.

As soon as I said he had to restore from a backup I could hear in his voice they didn't have one... Fortunately he only lost one server and one workstation, but that's still several days of work for him :(

I've seen small businesses go under because of crap like this, it's awful how many small companies don't take backups or security seriously enough.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tigern posted:

A call came in from a customer infected with a cryptolocker variant.

As soon as I said he had to restore from a backup I could hear in his voice they didn't have one... Fortunately he only lost one server and one workstation, but that's still several days of work for him :(

I've seen small businesses go under because of crap like this, it's awful how many small companies don't take backups or security seriously enough.

I see it like not taking out proper fire insurance and then losing your business because of a fire. It's their own fault if they get hit and haven't got backups.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

NZAmoeba posted:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe I just got unlucky, but based on past experiences with Micros, I stay on the line. I'll put it on speakerphone at a low volume and work on other tasks.

What he said. I've left messages before, and the best I ever get to do is wave at them as they slowly sink into the inky abyss, never to be returned. I was doing other tasks, but I don't have an office, just a cubicle, so I had to hold my phone to my ear or I'd be including my coworkers in my annoyance.

NZAmoeba posted:

Also double post/quote, but are you saying a bunch of people are going to get small amounts charged to their card weeks after the initial purchase? That's going to piss a ton of people off wondering what the charges are. It would probably make things worse.

Yes. Understandably, the merchant was pissed. Most of the transactions were for repeat clients, so they'll likely be understanding, but it's still a huge undertaking to have to call them and let them know what's going on so they don't try to dispute the charges or take their business elsewhere.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

spankmeister posted:

I see it like not taking out proper fire insurance and then losing your business because of a fire an arsonist. It's their own fault if they get hit and haven't got backups.

Well it's actually the fault of the poo poo-weasel that set cryptolocker loose on the world, but, yes, it's a danger data owners should protect themselves against.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A user working at someone else's desk borrowed a mouse from me today because a trackball is "too complicated." :psyduck:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OneTruePecos posted:

Well it's actually the fault of the poo poo-weasel that set cryptolocker loose on the world, but, yes, it's a danger data owners should protect themselves against.

Yes I should clarify that it's their own fault if -by whatever cause data is lost- and they don't have backups.

Be it cryptoware or hardware failure or fire or flooding or a disgruntled employee or whatever really. Offsite, offline backups are as necessary as fire extinguishers and insurance.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

guppy posted:

A user working at someone else's desk borrowed a mouse from me today because a trackball is "too complicated." :psyduck:

How is that surprising? :iiam:

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Yes I should clarify that it's their own fault if -by whatever cause data is lost- and they don't have backups.

Be it cryptoware or hardware failure or fire or flooding or a disgruntled employee or whatever really. Offsite, offline backups are as necessary as fire extinguishers and insurance.

I believe the "Oh that will never happen to me" mentality is to blame here. I've heard so many people talk about how low the chances of getting infected with crypto-variants are. It's baffling to me.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Calling a vendor and getting wildly different pricing has stopped being funny. One rep sends me a quote of $1,500 for a new Cisco ACS, which is a suspiciously small number compared to what my client has heard from other vendors. I call them back, try to qualify my request, and get another quote back for $30,000 – now wrong in the other direction.

And of course the proposal is due Wednesday morning :downsgun:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Trackballs are really uncomfortable and hard to use if you're not used to them. You have to think about everything you're doing rather than relying on muscle memory, it's exhausting.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Yes. Understandably, the merchant was pissed. Most of the transactions were for repeat clients, so they'll likely be understanding, but it's still a huge undertaking to have to call them and let them know what's going on so they don't try to dispute the charges or take their business elsewhere.

I don't get why the merchant or you guys aren't just eating that 1900. It's a (relatively) small amount for the merchant or you guys and doesn't seem worth the poo poo storm likely to occur when you re-charge little old ladies and soccer moms (the lifeblood of salons).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

captkirk posted:

I don't get why the merchant or you guys aren't just eating that 1900. It's a (relatively) small amount for the merchant or you guys and doesn't seem worth the poo poo storm likely to occur when you re-charge little old ladies and soccer moms (the lifeblood of salons).

$1900 is a huge amount for the merchant, and our company doesn't eat that much lightly and just shrug it off. We also have a culture of going above and beyond what our customers expect, which sometimes has me doing stuff out of scope(like instructing one of our merchants how to add a cheap switch onto their network to accommodate a new terminal, over the phone, like I'm doing right now.), but it also results in us having fantastic retention rates(91% compared to 75% nation-wide) and getting some really good clients through word-of-mouth. Yeah, it's a huge pain in the rear end to do that much reprocessing, and yeah, some customers will get pissed, but the point is we try to do what works best for the merchant.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Kills me when a user blatantly tries to lie their way out of a situation and makes an excuse for it later - case in point, I have a medical client I had to visit a week ago to set up a printer and fix a laptop that was giving "BOOTMGR is missing" when it was powered up. Got the laptop fixed using the OEM Win7 disc and running through the repair process, ran diagnostics and virus/malware scans, and it was all clean and ready to go before I left. I even had a couple users on site log in to test to make sure everything was working properly.

I get an email yesterday that this same laptop is having issues again - the user that emailed in said she couldn't log in, it didn't give her the ID/password box to type into. I remote into it, confirm the issue and run a quick script to reboot the laptop. Everything comes up, I can get to the login again and notice the person who submitted the issue was the last person logged in before it had problems. Log in with our admin account, run more cleanup, and find a bunch of garbage (toolbars, hidden browser hijackers) on the computer again. I clean it up for her and ask her if she noticed anything unusual before the laptop had problems. She tells me she wasn't logged into it, it must have come up with her as the last login when the repair was done.

I know for a fact this wasn't possible because (1) said user was out sick with the flu the day I repaired the PC and (2) the last login on the PC came up as an employee that left the medical center a couple days before I went on site. Since this person has a bad habit of installing crap on computers and I've had to un-gently caress several that they've used in the last month, I emailed back asking if they were absolutely certain they didn't log in, or if they had shared their login with anyone (and if so, to avoid doing that and change their password ASAP). CC'd her manager on it too since I'm tired of burning time on computer cleanup for dumb poo poo like this and having said user either lie to me or try to throw someone else under the bus.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
Title: lOST AND fOUND
body: Dette har aldri skjedd før !!!!!!!
KAN VI SLETTE ALT UNDER LOST AND FOUNFD UTEN AT DET PÅVIRKER SERVERE / KLIENTER I SINE RESPEKTIVE GRUPPER.

What an informative e-mail. Don't worry if you don't understand Norwegian, it doesn't make sense either way :suicide:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Tigern posted:

KAN VI SLETTE ALT UNDER LOST AND FOUNFD UTEN AT DET PÅVIRKER SERVERE / KLIENTER I SINE RESPEKTIVE GRUPPER.

What an informative e-mail. Don't worry if you don't understand Norwegian, it doesn't make sense either way :suicide:

It probably means three different punny things in Norwegian, and one of those could be construed as a burn on your mother.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

It probably means three different punny things in Norwegian, and one of those could be construed as a burn on your mother.

Finnish is a language literally made of a string of insults tied together. It's beautiful.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tigern posted:

EDIT: You know what, I'm spoiling this for people who don't want it ruined.

Translate with Bing! posted:

body: this has never happened before!!!!!!!
CAN WE DELETE EVERYTHING UNDER THE LOST AND FOUNFD WITHOUT AFFECTING THE SERVER/CLIENTS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE GROUPS.

Well, at least Tigern was right? :psyduck:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tigern posted:

Something about old sluts under Lost and Found in the parking server?

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

EDIT: You know what, I'm spoiling this for people who don't want it ruined.

Well, at least Tigern was right? :psyduck:

Thats actually a very good translation, it even removed the annoying space before "!!!!!!!"

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
The new senior accountant asks the hard hitting questions about our backend inventory management software:

quote:

I guess my true question is why are you the admin when you won’t be using the tool? It’s kind of ridiculous to go through you to set policies for the inventory we’ve been
charged with tracking.

This was in response to "we can't let you make the changes directly, but we'd be glad to show you the options so you can tell us what changes you need". :allears:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Fortis posted:

The new senior accountant asks the hard hitting questions about our backend inventory management software:

This was in response to "we can't let you make the changes directly, but we'd be glad to show you the options so you can tell us what changes you need". :allears:

I can't think of any problems with the end users being the administrators of any system!

I was once part of a team that migrated the bank I worked at from one version of our workforce management software to another. There were somewhere between two and four hundred admin users when we started (difficult to tell as they were spread across three schemas) across about a dozen departments, all of which could see each other's data, edit it, delete it, activate and deactivate each other's accounts, change how the system interpreted different scheduling codes, throw away people's holiday bookings and generally ruin each other's poo poo. When we were done there were five admins left and they were us.

Six months after that only one of us was left and the rest of us were made redundant so I'm betting by now everyone is an admin again.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Fortis posted:

Get executive blessing to give them the option to be the admin provided you don't have to support it any more. Watch it burn.

edit : vvvvvv There's not much I love more than catching people who just blame computers for not getting their important messages that they've clearly filed under 'ignore'. One of the few advantages of our terrible email system (FirstClass) is the user's ability to check the history of a message, including the exact time a recipient opens it or replies.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Got a fun one from a new Exec VP this morning
code:
to: ME
CC: CEO
Subject: Email Problems
I'm not getting CEO's emails. She sent them to me, and I never got them, she re-sent them and I didn't get those either. 
So I open up CEO's mailbox, check the last 8 sent messages to VP. Open up VP's mailbox, find them literally deleted. Not "in deleted items", but deleted from deleted items. Thanks OWA for letting me see them.

code:
to: VP
CC: CEO (Yeah, I reply all, don't blame me for your stupidity)
Subject: Re: Email Problems
Did a little digging, I see a lot of emails from CEO to you have been deleted (all the way deleted) in your mailbox. 
You didn't actually provide any details of when or what those emails are, so here is a screenshot of the last 8 emails from CEO that you've deleted. 
::ScreenShot::
Can you provide more details? Do you need assistance recovering these emails? 
No one has replied yet, this was all 5 hours ago. Someone is probably having a not-so-fun conversation with the CEO.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 11, 2015

• Locked thread