Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

In standard: Ashiok, Kiora, soon to be Narset and Sarkhan, Sidisi, Mantis Rider, Pearl Lake Ancient, Temur Ascendancy just for starters

And of course there's the whole counterspell mode, assuming we're still talking about Pyroblast like I think we are. That's why you'd play it over burn for dealing with planeswalkers or creatures, because it can randomly counter Dig through Time too.

Thank you for telling me how Pyrbolast is good and would make sense in Standard. Namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why are we speculating in minute detail about something someone posted offhandedly as a joke that will never actually happen? Oh, of course, it's the Magic thread.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Entropic posted:

Why are we speculating in minute detail about something someone posted offhandedly as a joke that will never actually happen? Oh, of course, it's the Magic thread.

I guess the "What could go wrong?" part wasn't explicit enough.

A lot could go wrong, guys.

Anyways, forget Pyroblast. Considering these spoilers, what Wizards should REALLY do is reprint Painter's Servant. What could go wrong?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

Anyways, forget Pyroblast. Considering these spoilers, what Wizards should REALLY do is reprint Painter's Servant. What could go wrong?

I mean I'd play Painter forever if they did that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

qbert posted:

There's actually very little that's "gone wrong" with Pyroblast in any format it's ever been legal in if one isn't just butt bothered by the existence of a red hoser that counters spells and destroys permanents.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

These idiots getting butt bothered, you tell 'em JerryLee! It was fine in Ice Age block constructed and any nimrod who tells you otherwise has an obvious agenda.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Make all ten possible pyroblasts, print them are mythic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Make all ten possible pyroblasts, print them are mythic.

It's late so I'm not functioning as well as I could, but it's twenty right? Since it's directional so to speak. Yeah, Hydroblast/Pyroblast, for the ten colour pairs.

Print them at mythic. :getin:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Serperoth posted:

It's late so I'm not functioning as well as I could, but it's twenty right? Since it's directional so to speak. Yeah, Hydroblast/Pyroblast, for the ten colour pairs.

I wonder - if you did that, which one would be the best?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Serperoth posted:

I was assuming no friend colored ones.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wonder - if you did that, which one would be the best?

The ones that counter blue

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The ones that counter blue

The green one because that's the one that would get played in Abzan.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The ones in Temur colors because I would get to play all the best colors and hate on all the best colors!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
While we're playing fantasy red hate card, I'd love to see:

1R:

Choose one:
Gain control of target white or blue instant or sorcery. You may choose new targets.
Gain control of target white or blue permanent (or creature) until end of turn. It gains haste.

I feel like the color limiting makes the act of treason effect reasonable at that cost (and the permanents certainly cranks ups the power level to possibly legacy-playable, so it should probably be creatures), but I think the first mode would be cute as gently caress while being a counterspell some of the time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I love Reverberate don't play with my emotions like this.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Angry Grimace posted:

Allegedly, the mono-color morph dragons are not supposed to be good outside trying to draft Dragon tribal.

Even in the dragon tribalest dragon tribal deck that ever dragon tribaled, the 4/4 you're spending 10 mana on will still only produce maybe two extra +1/+1 counters.

It's like those Kamigawa spirits that charged you 7 mana for a 4/4 because of Soulshift. It feels really, really lame.

Sigma-X posted:

While we're playing fantasy red hate card, I'd love to see:

1R:

Choose one:
Gain control of target white or blue instant or sorcery. You may choose new targets.
Gain control of target white or blue permanent (or creature) until end of turn. It gains haste.

I feel like the color limiting makes the act of treason effect reasonable at that cost (and the permanents certainly cranks ups the power level to possibly legacy-playable, so it should probably be creatures), but I think the first mode would be cute as gently caress while being a counterspell some of the time.

The first effect only works on an instant, but red only gets the second effect on sorceries.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 10, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I think it's pretty much a given that tribal decks don't really work outside EDH when the tribe in question is made up of nothing but 4cmc+ creatures by design.

That being said, I threw up a quick sketch for a mono-R Dagrons! deck in the Brewhaus thread if anyone is interested. There is so much incidental burn flying around (really, Dragon Roar is kind of nuts), I think it could work.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Even in the dragon tribalest dragon tribal deck that ever dragon tribaled, the 4/4 you're spending 10 mana on will still only produce maybe two extra +1/+1 counters.

It's like those Kamigawa spirits that charged you 7 mana for a 4/4 because of Soulshift. It feels really, really lame.

The first effect only works on an instant, but red only gets the second effect on sorceries.

They are 3/3.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Wizards uploaded a Battle for Zendikar trailer; it doesn't show much but it appears the hedrons will be just as prominent as last time.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

bhsman posted:

Wizards uploaded a Battle for Zendikar trailer; it doesn't show much but it appears the hedrons will be just as prominent as last time.

Didn't the hedrons already all activate and open though? And the Eldrazi already awoke and rampaged around transforming/wrecking the world?

That trailer seems as though it should be set during Worldwake or maybe the beginning of ROE.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Angry Grimace posted:

They are 3/3.

3/3 if you cast directly for 6, 4/4 if you megamorph for 3+7. Both of those feel pretty lousy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JerryLee posted:

Didn't the hedrons already all activate and open though? And the Eldrazi already awoke and rampaged around transforming/wrecking the world?

That trailer seems as though it should be set during Worldwake or maybe the beginning of ROE.

Maybe saving Ugin DID change the timeline outside Tarkir? Probably not

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Maybe saving Ugin DID change the timeline outside Tarkir? Probably not
Maybe they get the band back together and make new Hedrons?

I hope there's a card where they push Hedrons on Bolas' big stupid head while laughing at him. Doink.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

JerryLee posted:

or maybe anime jace goes back in time to save zendikar from himself becoming the mind sculptor

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is nahiri dead? It'd be cool if she got a playable new card.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The non-answer during the PAX panel was "you haven't seen the last of Nahiri"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

They've been short-stroking it over hedrons since Zendikar rotated.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The answer is essentially, "Nahiri is alive," but they wouldn't commit to that. Unless she's changed colors, I'm not expecting her unless Gideon's become way less mono-white in the preceding years.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I hope that they once again print Hedron Crab in a set with creatures who make it actual impossible to win via milling.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

rabidsquid posted:

I hope that they once again print Hedron Crab in a set with creatures who make it actual impossible to win via milling.

"Hedroner Crab", exiles instead of milling, but otherwise functionally similar.

Do it, Wizards.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Landfall - search target opponent's library for a legendary eldrazi creature card and put it into his or her graveyard. then he or she shuffles his or her graveyard.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Landfall - search target opponent's library for a legendary eldrazi creature card and put it into his or her graveyard. then he or she shuffles his or her graveyard.

*colorless creature card with cmc 8 or more
**exile it

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Angry Grimace posted:

The answer is essentially, "Nahiri is alive," but they wouldn't commit to that. Unless she's changed colors, I'm not expecting her unless Gideon's become way less mono-white in the preceding years.

Well, he was joining the Boros last time we saw him.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

:thejoke:

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Hate that I keep missing these discussions I would have really liked to participate in by like a day.

In regards to the B good guy, the way I see it is this:

Black is suppossed to be ambitious, self-centered and amoral. And all of those are bad in too great amounts, but they make for a perfectly decent heroic character. How:

There is a person/place/thing/group that I care about.

Without this person/place/thing/group I feel that my life would be significantly devalued. They contribute positively to my life so it is my desire to maintain their presence.

Something is threatening that person/place/thing/group.

I am the only one with enough power/competence/willingness to cross boundaries to stop them.

If I do not stop them I will lose the person/place/thing/group that matters to me and my life will be, if not worthless, at the very least worth less.

Solution: They must be stopped and it must be I who stops them.

Bonus points: Character has the chance to stop the threat, but it will cost them their lives. In the end their self-preservation wins out. After that their goal becomes to amass enough power so that no threat can take from them again.

Flawed hero in Black.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 10, 2015

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think that black enchantment might be a playable sideboard card for blue black control mirrors.

Edit: any black control mirror really.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 10, 2015

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I thought the hedrons were crafted by Ugin and Nahiri to hold in the Eldrazi, but it seems like they were either already there or were co-opted by the Eldrazi once they were free.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

3/3 if you cast directly for 6, 4/4 if you megamorph for 3+7. Both of those feel pretty lousy.

This was clearly intentional. They even say so right off the bat in the development article:

One of the first ideas I came up with to encourage dedicated "Dragon-drafters" was to create a cycle of Dragons with megamorph. This meant that you could put a Dragon into the three-mana slot in your deck. Because megamorph allows you to turn up creatures and put +1/+1 counters on them, these Dragons could have slightly smaller stats than the typical Dragon, given that a frequent case use would still be to deploy them effectively as 4/4 flying creatures with upside. One thing I love about megamorph is that the mechanic tweak strongly incentivizes you to go through the face-down state. We tuned these Dragon cards to a power level where they are likely to be passed around a bit to drafters who prioritize them higher than others for the Dragonness.

Cards should drift to the players in that archetype, rather than being auto first picks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pyrolocutus posted:

"Hedroner Crab", exiles instead of milling, but otherwise functionally similar.

Do it, Wizards.

That would make modern mill X times better.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This was clearly intentional. They even say so right off the bat in the development article:

One of the first ideas I came up with to encourage dedicated "Dragon-drafters" was to create a cycle of Dragons with megamorph. This meant that you could put a Dragon into the three-mana slot in your deck. Because megamorph allows you to turn up creatures and put +1/+1 counters on them, these Dragons could have slightly smaller stats than the typical Dragon, given that a frequent case use would still be to deploy them effectively as 4/4 flying creatures with upside. One thing I love about megamorph is that the mechanic tweak strongly incentivizes you to go through the face-down state. We tuned these Dragon cards to a power level where they are likely to be passed around a bit to drafters who prioritize them higher than others for the Dragonness.

Cards should drift to the players in that archetype, rather than being auto first picks.

I'm not sure how different this format will be than your "usual" draft environment, but if it isn't too strange, I wouldn't be surprised if the dragons are a bit better than they look, especially the white lifelink one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ShadeofBlue posted:

I'm not sure how different this format will be than your "usual" draft environment, but if it isn't too strange, I wouldn't be surprised if the dragons are a bit better than they look, especially the white lifelink one.

Khans showed us that basically anything w/ morph is playable.

• Locked thread