Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

a kitten posted:

Oh cool, i had no idea they had it as well. I got all mine on Viz.

Anyway, KnT owns: Sawako owns, Yano owns Yoshida owns.

(I know you're reading the manga, not watching the anime, but oh well)

Oh snap I didn't know there was an anime... I'll probably watch it once I'm done reading. (otherwise I get ADD and never finish reading)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And another chapter of Bokura no Hentai http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Bokura-no-Hentai/Vol-003-Ch-027--Grey-Man?id=222747

Errr... :staredog:

coathat
May 21, 2007

That'll happen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks to my instant manga amnesia (and the rather large gap between chapters) I'd completely forgotten about that aspect of Parou's back story. I'm all for 'sempai' taking an accidental tumble out of a closed window next chapter.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I wish I had instant manga amnesia (I probably used it all up for my trashy love of Type Moon stuff).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tend to speed read stuff and not really take things in, especially if it's action heavy, so I often have to read things a couple of times before I'll actually start remembering what's going on between chapters.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Sakurazuka posted:

Thanks to my instant manga amnesia (and the rather large gap between chapters) I'd completely forgotten about that aspect of Parou's back story. I'm all for 'sempai' taking an accidental tumble out of a closed window next chapter.
Parou's backstory is doubly awful thanks to ~onii-chan~ and sempai, though at least one of them is dead already. it's especially awful how in practice parou's upperclassman was exploiting past traumas he had no way to know about.

When I skimmed this chapter in the volume I got the wrong impression, I'm actually really pleased by how the author avoids trivial drama and addresses serious stuff and backstory instead.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

I see that Nakahara Aya's meat obsession goes back a lot farther than I thought. Junjou Drop is perfect, and I'm completely baffled as to why I haven't discovered it sooner. :kimchi: :hf: :allears:

Thread, please recommend me all of the good delinquent/comedy shoujo manga. I've already read a lot of them like Oresama Teacher, but I may have missed a series or two. I have a lot of time to kill since I'm on break. Short series or oneshots are fine with me!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Gokusen is pretty great if you haven't read that.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ahhhh just read Hana to Rakurai and the backstory with the teacher just wrecked me. Then the mood was broken when I had to go outside and shake a possum out of the trash.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

ahhhh just read Hana to Rakurai and the backstory with the teacher just wrecked me. Then the mood was broken when I had to go outside and shake a possum out of the trash.

Aw, such a bittersweet story - thanks for the rec. Hope you and your possom bush are okay though. (I also am following the Demon Prince of Momochi House - it's pleasant enough so far.)

The latest chapter of Last Game is out.
If they go any slower/be any more dense I am giving up - please do not just have them sitting in a room blushing on separate ends of a couch for the entirety of the next chapter.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

pandabear posted:

The latest chapter of Last Game is out.
If they go any slower/be any more dense I am giving up - please do not just have them sitting in a room blushing on separate ends of a couch for the entirety of the next chapter.

I like Last Game. It makes me feel feelings.

That said, I feel you, friend. OTOH, it's all cute enough that personally am not going to be giving up on it any time soon.

I think it might be my favorite ongoing shoujo now that Taiyou no Ie has ended, although it's too late for me to think of more than a handful of others that I'm following.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Please Love the Useless Me got another chapter! Ore Monogatari is probably the other prominent shoujo that I follow that's not Last Game, though there's probably a bunch of sporadically updated ones like Kimi Ni Todoke that I also follow.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Allarion posted:

Please Love the Useless Me got another chapter! Ore Monogatari is probably the other prominent shoujo that I follow that's not Last Game, though there's probably a bunch of sporadically updated ones like Kimi Ni Todoke that I also follow.

There has to be a better way to adapt that title.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Please Love My Useless Self' would at least parse better.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
"Please Love the Useless Meat-I Mean Me" would be more appropriate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since IIRC Horimiya and Inari Kon Kon are shounen and seinen respectively I think the only shoujo I'm keeping up with at the moment is KnT and kinda sorta My Love Story once I get around to buying the volume I'm missing.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I usually read a ton of lesser known shoujo series, so I often forget what's prominent or not. :shobon:

I'm pretty sure Yona of the Dawn and Akagami no Shirayukihime count though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it would be refreshing if she wound up actually sticking with this guy and he didn't have an ulterior motive or anything. That would be the most shocking plot twist for a shojo manga, that a genuinely good guy shows up, manages to woo the heroine, and she sticks with him instead of the seemingly set up romance initially with a slightly weird first guy.

Ain't gonna happen though, they are doomed

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm suspicious of the guy and just waiting for it all to blow up in her face. :( Maybe I'm missing some of the cultural context since all that manga I've read :v: tells me that people apparently still get married through arrangement and while barely knowing each other, but it seems very weird and fishy for someone to jump straight into marriage talk that quickly which is just screaming some sort of ulterior motive on his part to me.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 10, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think he is just great and it will lead to some real growth on everyone's part as the love triangle sorts itself out. :colbert:

:ohdear: who am i kidding, she's doomed.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Nondevor posted:

I usually read a ton of lesser known shoujo series, so I often forget what's prominent or not. :shobon:

I'm pretty sure Yona of the Dawn and Akagami no Shirayukihime count though.

I just read through all of Yona of the Dawn and I really like it. I like that it's an adventure series that still feels super shoujo, like all the best parts of Fushigi Yuugi did.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The anime is great and adds a lot of little extra details (ex. everything with Ao). I highly recommend it!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baron Snow posted:

I just read through all of Yona of the Dawn and I really like it. I like that it's an adventure series that still feels super shoujo, like all the best parts of Fushigi Yuugi did.

Super shoujo in what ways? Because FY is notorious for being super shoujo in really bad ways.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yay, Amazon finally tracked down a copy of Kamisama Kiss vol. 7 which was out of stock when I ordered it! I was kinda behind on the anime and got caught up over the weekend then watched the new ep tonight, and had forgotten how much Nanami really comes into her own during the Mt. Kurama stuff.

I'm holding off to read Yona until after the anime; probably not going to hold out for season 2 if it gets one though because I've been wanting to get started on it pretty bad. I've let watching it slide long enough at this point I'm just going to marathon the last 1/4 as soon as it's done and pick up the manga wherever it stops.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 10, 2015

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I like Yona of the Dawn because people actually take the female character seriously (and so does the author) without making her the McGuffin for two or more dudes to fight over. Her character development has been interesting.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Darth Walrus posted:

Super shoujo in what ways? Because FY is notorious for being super shoujo in really bad ways.

Super shoujo in that all the guys are dreamy. Hak is the dreamiest out of all of them though :allears:

It's good. Honestly, I've been letting the episodes pile up for the show for me to marathon them all at once.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Pastrymancy posted:

I like Yona of the Dawn because people actually take the female character seriously (and so does the author) without making her the McGuffin for two or more dudes to fight over. Her character development has been interesting.

This is a major factor of it. In the better the FY category, she's a female lead who's not content to stand back while others are fighting.

More important for me is that most of the stories focus on character growth as a whole. As an example, one side character gets a story arc where he stops being an immature poo poo and ends up becoming a leader who can be respected. Even villains are shown as human beings not just being evil for the sake of it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I should probably try Yona of the Dawn sometime since it's the same writer as NG Life which I liked. It was also a pretty different take on the reincarnation angle.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yona is like FY except that it's good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Yona is like FY except that it's good.

That's what I say about Red River (what I've read of it, at least). I dropped Yona after a few episodes because it seemed like the first half of your sentence.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kamisama Kiss is so great, I'm only watching the anime though to I guess I've only got like three episodes left before I'll have to start on the manga.

Heroine trapped in the basement while the bad guy monologues at her? No waiting around to be rescued, have a barrier against evil in your face.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Read the first volume of Yona. It's not bad. Has a lot of stock shoujo cliches, but the plot's interesting enough and the characters are fairly likeable that'll I'll probably keep going with it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Speaking of FY, I believe the first chapter of the Byakko story was released; still too early to tell how it's gonna go and the main heroine hasn't even shown up yet.

Man it was full of misery though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Leave FY in the 90's, where it belongs.

Also the garbage.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

That's what I say about Red River (what I've read of it, at least). I dropped Yona after a few episodes because it seemed like the first half of your sentence.

red river is really good

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

7c Nickel posted:

Gokusen is pretty great if you haven't read that.

I'm currently in the middle of reading this and I love it to bits. Yankumi is one huge reason for that - she's hilarious. Her idiotic optimism is pretty contagious, and it's led to some really heartwarming moments so far. She's the best (along with her entire family).

This totally filled my delinquent quota with a nice mix of Yakuza-style violence and comedy. I wasn't expecting anything like the josei version of GTO, but that's what I certainly got! With series like this and Red River, I think the blood and violence quotas have been fulfilled.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm suspicious of the guy and just waiting for it all to blow up in her face. :( Maybe I'm missing some of the cultural context since all that manga I've read :v: tells me that people apparently still get married through arrangement and while barely knowing each other, but it seems very weird and fishy for someone to jump straight into marriage talk that quickly which is just screaming some sort of ulterior motive on his part to me.

As I understand it, it is indeed a cultural difference. "I'd like to date you with the possibility of marriage in mind" is basically just a confession, and it's understood that after accepting the two people are now in an official/serious relationship that is leading towards marriage. It's a logical end goal, and using "the m-word" does not imply major commitment or that someone is moving way too fast the way it generally does in our culture.

Disclaimer: This is something I read, somewhere, and I don't know if it's at all true. It makes a certain amount of sense to me though, considering how much relationship drama in manga and anime, particularly in high school romances, revolves around the confession.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno, Japan has lots of different cultural stuff involving marriage, a friend of mine who lives there now basically met his wife on a website for woman of a certain age who wanted to get married as soon as. They like went on a couple of dates to see how they got on and were pretty much married a year later, it was super weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, the My Love Story anime has been confirmed for 24 episodes. :monocle: