Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BROTHER THEORY CONFIRMED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Stan Twins confirmed. :toot:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
is it airing already or something

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Haha cool. Yesss. This does change things.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Suspicious Dish posted:

It aired 30 minutes earlier than theyve been advertising :v:

And holy poo poo what an episiode

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

It just ended

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
that owned. Cool to see an extremely interesting theory be confirmed after all this time

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Man what an episode. I nearly forgot it was airing today too.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I can hear them all now, a mighty roar of "I TOLD YOU SO" sweeping across the lands.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
For anyone interested, the cipher in the credits is the combined one they've used before.

It reads:

Thirty years and now he's back
The mystery in the mystery shack

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Best gag:
Wait, I'm alone. I can swear for real!
SON OF A-

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Stoked that the fanbase put the theory together correctly and that Alex "4chan" Hirsch didn't blow it up because he could.

Interesting tidbits beyond confirmation of the theory:

- Stanley is confirmed as the six-fingered man
- He had a sweet raygun strapped to his back???
- McGucket fled town, presumably to come back as a savior at the end of the season?
- The agents are still in the greater Gravity Falls area

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The biggest revelation of this episode is that McGucket has a raccoon wife.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
That was intense as all get out! Was not expecting any of what happened at the end there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can we just take a moment to appreciate how loving cool and intense that entire end bit was? All my praise to the animators in this episode.

edit: Also I wonder how Bill fits into all this.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Macaluso posted:

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how loving cool and intense that entire end bit was? All my praise to the animators in this episode.

edit: Also I wonder how Bill fits into all this.

They're definitely related somehow. Maybe he was created by the machine when it was first used 30 years prior?

Also seconding that the animation was ridiculously well-done.

Edit: Also I want to point out that I hopped on the "The author is Stan's brother" theory like two years ago and I WAS RIGHT.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 10, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Also they now appear to have a working portal just chillin in the basement now. I mean, Stan's brother walked out of it and it didn't shut down or anything so maybe we're gonna go parallel dimension hopping this season.

Also who is the third person what would've had to do turn the key, assuming the other two are the Stan twins :tinfoil:

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Also who is the third person what would've had to do turn the key, assuming the other two are the Stan twins :tinfoil:
McGucket?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Whoever is the grandparent of Dipper and Mabel?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
This show is so loving good :3:

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Who says their grandfather isn't Stan?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What's the image at the end of the episode? My recording got cut just before it pops up.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Some folks are gonna be upset that the Big Theory was correct because it was "predictable," but if anything I think it's really fuckin cool that they laid this down for like two years and people actually picked up on it. The fact that it got figured out beforehand means that they're doing an excellent job at making a big conspiracy mystery show.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's the image at the end of the episode? My recording got cut just before it pops up.

Here. Spoilers obviously.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 10, 2015

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Shwoo posted:

Who says their grandfather isn't Stan?

Why would there be 3 keys for 2 brothers?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'd like to take a moment here to point out how loving great the animation was in this episode. Like, starting with when the sun was setting as Agent Ron Swanson went to the cell to take Stan away, the lighting and atmosphere were all fantastic. God I love this show.

Oh, and Mabel crying because she doesn't know if she can trust Stan anymore. :smith:

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 10, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dazerbeams posted:

Why would there be 3 keys for 2 brothers?

So one of them can't do it alone. The keys are right next to each other; if it was just two, one person could turn both. People have two hands, y'know.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Can someone sum up/link to a roundup of the clues laid out for the brother theory up until now? I've been avoiding spoilers and potential spoilers disused as fan theories.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would've never got the twin thing if it hadn't been for the crazy fans of this show. So hey, good on them for seeing clues that were actually there.

This episode was masterful. Film quality stuff. I hope Alex does quit the show after this season and makes a movie as soon as possible. It would kill.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Factor Mystic posted:

Can someone sum up/link to a roundup of the clues laid out for the brother theory up until now? I've been avoiding spoilers and potential spoilers disused as fan theories.

The big one was during the Dreamscapers boxing scene

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Is it me or does Stan's brother look way younger than Stan even though they are twins? Maybe what was thirty years on Earth was a shorter time for him in wherever he was.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Waffleopolis posted:

Is it me or does Stan's brother look way younger than Stan even though they are twins? Maybe what was thirty years on Earth was a shorter time for him in wherever he was.

My impression was that they are the same age, but Stan's brother spent the past few decades getting forged in the fire of outer-space adventures while Stan spent that time sitting around getting fat and lazy.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Survival is hard and tough, stretching a man to great lengths, and often leads to great bods.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Mutual love of :911: brings unlikely relationships.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In addition to the boxing scene, the glasses Stan looks at contemplatively in Carpet Diem have different frames than his own and are the same as the ones "butt-chin" Stan.

e: more recently, there was this.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 10, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The thing that made me jump on the theory was the scene from the Time Traveller's Pig when "Stan" came out of the Shack and had a cleft-chin (As seen in the pictures above). That's not the kind of detail the animators would add unless it was supposed to be there, and it's nice to see it vindicated all this time later. Man this show is great.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Dreamscaperers had some nice foreshadowing too. This is one of the first things the kids see when they enter Stan's mindscape.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
4chan came in super late to the game and pretended like they just figured it all out but it's been floating around since around the end of S1.

This post from like a year and a half ago lays out a ton of evidence from Season One that strongly pointed to the twin theory.

http://realizinggravity.tumblr.com/post/62280060112/falling-into-theory-the-stan-twins

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Command Ant posted:

The biggest revelation of this episode is that McGucket has a raccoon wife.

I was more shocked that Manly Dan is that much of a Sev'ral Times fan.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I kind of hoped Alex Hirsch would have trolled everybody and it would've been something entirely different, but I'm okay with the collective Internet winning one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

don Jaime posted:

I was more shocked that Manly Dan is that much of a Sev'ral Times fan.
so much that he would be prepared to kill for them.

Okay, so I was pretty much just repeating "Holy poo poo" for the last five minutes. Bravo, Alex.

• Locked thread