Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will choke away the Super Bowl this year
Dubs
human being Guy
Dave
Havoc
Waah
Yuzenn
I'm gay
the CPU
View Results

• Locked thread
Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

oh you're up Dave? I just got home from SF bars and will probably play like poo poo but am free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Im up for it if you are!

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Alright gimme ten.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Sure thing!

I'll put up my stream. lol. 5AM here.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
oooh boy, time for fun!

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

from now on I play all my games drunk and high at 2:30

oh man you're unlucky, two of those INTs where it goes two feet from your QB who' is in the process of getting hit in one game

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 7, 2015

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Backup QB and 30th ranked defense in the league, what could go wrong!

Jets get crushed 34-19.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I hate the auto play call go for two logic in this game. Instinctually mashing on X after a TD but the game decides it's go for two time instead of a xp.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

:siren: Week 14 :siren:

Titans/chiefs (auto - he gone for good?)
Dallas/cpu
Colts/cpu
Jags/cpu
Seattle/cpu
Tampa/cpu
Raiders/cpu

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

davecrazy posted:

:siren: Week 14 :siren:

Colts/cpu

Goddamn we are moving fast, I played 3 league games in a row last night!

I'll get this in tonight

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Dubious you interested in Alshon Jeffery? I would throw in a mid round pick as well.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rad Valtar posted:

Dubious you interested in Alshon Jeffery? I would throw in a mid round pick as well.

Alshon and a 3rd for RG3 and hes the newest Seahawk in the offseason. Then you can ship off Luck to a cpu for a first. Id want him if my rookie qb wasnt a stud already.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Dubious posted:

Alshon and a 3rd for RG3 and hes the newest Seahawk in the offseason. Then you can ship off Luck to a cpu for a first. Id want him if my rookie qb wasnt a stud already.

Sounds like a deal, ill start shipping Luck when we hit the off-season.

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!
So there's like 7 TEs slated to go in the top 10

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Pending Cowboys, Raiders and Colts

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Dubious posted:

E: er, wrong leauge

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Dubious posted:

I'll get my game in after work this evening!

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

mines done, blanked the Ravens 37-0.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Dubious posted:

Getting mine in tonight...so much madden recently!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
We about ready to advance?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

We about ready to advance?

We're waiting on the commissioner to play his CPU game.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

We're waiting on the commissioner to play his CPU game.

huh, it should be havoc with a game left not me

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Dubious posted:

huh, it should be havoc with a game left not me

I'm looking at it right now. Only unplayed game is Tampa/Broncos.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 10, 2015

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
thought i played mine, ill knock it out shortly

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

:siren: Week 15 :siren:

Colts/Titans
Jets/Seahawks

Tampa/CPU
Cowboys/CPU
Jags/CPU
Raiders/CPU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

davecrazy posted:

:siren: Week 15 :siren:

Colts/Titans

Available tonight, Bonham?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Rad, when you around today?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

davecrazy posted:

Rad, when you around today?

Right now

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Lets go!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Jets win 24-7.

Andrew Luck got knocked out of the game and is on the shelf for two weeks.

I guess that's technically a season ender.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I guess I don't understand how this game works anymore. Didn't matter what coverage I called I got beat deep all day. Maybe I just don't play enough to understand the right plays to call to get yards. I certainly don't understand the right defensive adjustments to make especially when I cant get pressure and my defensive backs are burned if I even attempt to play man or my opponent has me sacked all day and when I throw into man coverage the defensive back jumps inside when it looks like my guy is open. I'm not having much fun with the game right now.

E: not a ragequit just frustrated trying to figure things out.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 10, 2015

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Rad Valtar posted:

I guess I don't understand how this game works anymore. Didn't matter what coverage I called I got beat deep all day. Maybe I just don't play enough to understand the right plays to call to get yards. I certainly don't understand the right defensive adjustments to make especially when I cant get pressure and my defensive backs are burned if I even attempt to play man or my opponent has me sacked all day and when I throw into man coverage the defensive back jumps inside when it looks like my guy is open. I'm not having much fun with the game right now.

If your opponent has a really good wide receiver, it can be pretty difficult to defend the deep ball. This is especially true if their quarterback has a cannon for an arm. In the main league, the Lions beat the hell out of me with Calvin Johnson with 3 TDs even when I had multiple people covering him just because Johnson could get past the defenders and Stafford can launch the ball so well. It was vastly different when I played the Lions the previous season and he had Hoyer starting. Hoyer couldn't lay up the ball, so I kept on getting interceptions with my safety because the balls were placed a foot behind where Stafford could throw it.

Also, this time of year can get frustrating because everyone has had Madden for over 6 months, so they have a really good idea on which plays they can keep on using to work. It is just one of those things where playing the CPU won't help and you will have to just get that experience against other players to try and figure out something that will work. It can get really frustrating when you know what your opponent is going to call, but can't defend it no matter what.

I think years of playing against Menamino in the 360 leagues and getting blown out by 5+ touchdowns in every game as softened me with regards to getting really upset with the game. Since we were always in the same division (me Cowboys, him Giants) I knew I would always have at least 2 losses and would have to fight for a wildcard spot no matter what. Instead of focusing on winning, I would just try to focus on keeping the game competitive for as long as possible.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Havoc904 posted:

If your opponent has a really good wide receiver, it can be pretty difficult to defend the deep ball. This is especially true if their quarterback has a cannon for an arm. In the main league, the Lions beat the hell out of me with Calvin Johnson with 3 TDs even when I had multiple people covering him just because Johnson could get past the defenders and Stafford can launch the ball so well. It was vastly different when I played the Lions the previous season and he had Hoyer starting. Hoyer couldn't lay up the ball, so I kept on getting interceptions with my safety because the balls were placed a foot behind where Stafford could throw it.

Also, this time of year can get frustrating because everyone has had Madden for over 6 months, so they have a really good idea on which plays they can keep on using to work. It is just one of those things where playing the CPU won't help and you will have to just get that experience against other players to try and figure out something that will work. It can get really frustrating when you know what your opponent is going to call, but can't defend it no matter what.

I think years of playing against Menamino in the 360 leagues and getting blown out by 5+ touchdowns in every game as softened me with regards to getting really upset with the game. Since we were always in the same division (me Cowboys, him Giants) I knew I would always have at least 2 losses and would have to fight for a wildcard spot no matter what. Instead of focusing on winning, I would just try to focus on keeping the game competitive for as long as possible.

yeah I just had to rant for a minute because I've been bad lately. I must be doing something wrong when usering a WR. I know to hit O and hold down triangle but am I suppose to actually move the guy with the left stick or will be automatically move into position to catch the ball?

Also my blitzing has been bad, guys seem to run into each other all the time, not sure if there is a way to get better lanes set up.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 10, 2015

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

If somebody is going over the top of you then run quaters or cover two man and predict pass and tell your secondary to cover over the top.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Don't user your CBs, ever. You'll gently caress it up everytime. Get good with usering a linebacker or a safety. If you user a CB and blow your man coverage, that's it, game over. You let the CPU stick the CBs on a WR and user a high speed LB or one of your safeties to assist the CPU defender and go for the swat; let the CPU try pick it off because if you blow an INT attempt it's a catch and likely a score or a huge gain.

E: I can usually get pretty decent results running 3-3-5 against guys who love going over the top, and if you're confident in your safeties, you can get a ton of sacks blitzing an outside corner. I've been racking up wins in MUT running pure quarters against guys.

The only thing you need to keep an eye out for is when you're working to shut down WRs, watch for TEs running outside slants or wheels, because they usually get left wide loving open even if you assign a man to them because the defensive AI is held together by bubblegum and pine tar and is easily broken.

Dubious fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 10, 2015

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Thanks for the tips, my Steelers D was so good in my first couple of seasons I could run base and stop most offenses but with my fanasty team their secondary is garbage so I need to change things up.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets

Havoc904 posted:

I think years of playing against Menamino in the 360 leagues and getting blown out by 5+ touchdowns in every game as softened me with regards to getting really upset with the game.

Yeah, I don't think the PS3 users can truly understand how dominant Menamino was in the old Xbox leagues. I think one goon lost to him by 2 TD's but every other user game was a huge blowout. It created a mindset of "well, I know I'm not winning the super bowl so I'll just try to have fun in the regular season". Then the one year he took off from Madden (Madden 25) we actually had a competitive league for one season until a huge drama-bomb surrounding the draft basically killed the league.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
We had Santheb who won the Super Bowl almost every year during M13. I played him twice a season and almost got him once but it took him being loving wasted to come within a TD, it was usually a blowout. Oberst upset him in a Super Bowl once.

What I can't imagine being any fun is staying in a league for years and constantly winning by 5+ TD blowouts. It would just feel like dropping 70 on the CPU.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Rad Valtar posted:

I won't lie, having a wideout and QB combo such as Megatron and Stafford helps tremendously but I've won a Superbowl with Ryan Tannehill of all people so here are some things to help you on offense:

1) Know how DB's and Safeties react to the RED route according to how they look pre snap, this is your first look. If someone is pressing you know that deep routes can be very susceptible to being open and if there is a lot of cushion you know that a slant or in route will have a good chance of being open. From there you need to see how the LB's react

2) Know your checkdown and be ready to throw to it! Getting a 4 yard gain is better than a sack or a rushed INT, a completion is a completion. If you wait too long you risk a horrible turnover! You won't get much more time than your 2nd or MAYBE 3rd progression but by then you will have a DT breathing down your throat....

3) Remember that DB's in this game are loving inhuman, so unless you are ready for a pick 9/10 times trying to bullet something in between defenders is at least going to be deflected if not worse...it doesn't matter if the DB's whole body is turned around or you havn't even made your break yet, you have to create separation or the DB WILL ballhawk the throw.

From there, if you are having issues with pressure you can throw in some HB draws and screens to bring the pressure level down. If they are bull rushing you, a screen will get huge yards if they go all out on sacking the QB. Also it's a lot easier than it sounds but a strong run game opens a strong passing game. Also don't be afraid to get big gains with play action plays! Linebacker AI is straight retarded when it comes to play action, so exploit that to get some good yardage. This is usually a first read only play, and unless your QB can scramble you won't get enough time for a second look. This one will have to come with a lot of practice to see how routes are run and the defense reacts to them.

On defense it's not so cut and dry, offenses in this game are too good for any AI and any user. I won a Superbowl on the back of a loving rediculous catch against FG who could not have played the route any better...offense > defense. I will say that defense takes attention to details like how formations look, and player tendencies and creating pressure from all different directions. Vary your coverages and disguise them occasionally and good things will happen! Sitting in Cover 3 all day will get you wrecked, and sitting in man 2 will also get you wrecked. Quarters is VERY good for passing plays but is dogshit against the run and mobile QB's might as well just crawl to the first down, but know your formations strengths dependent on situational yardage.

TLDR, practice practice practice. If you want a freebie user game I like learning new playbooks and am glad to do an unranked H2H match for fun, so hit me up!

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Thanks for the post man. I think a lot of the problem is that I get frustrated when I get down and get out of the strategy I'm trying to go with.

• Locked thread