Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

bartkusa posted:

Ah. Weird. Next step: what is "this.props"? What is "this"?

"this.props" is {dataRow: Object, onClickMe: undefined}

"this" looks like a bunch of react stuff, only thing I gleaned from it was _rootNodeID ".0.1.$1" which matches what was generated for my <tr> that contains the button, seems to make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

fletcher posted:

"this.props" is {dataRow: Object, onClickMe: undefined}

OK. So where are you going to put your next breakpoint, to figure out why your assignment to onClickMe is wrong? You're going to put a breakpoint in this.props.dataRows.map(...)

And what will you find is causing your problems? "this" will be undefined, because you're passing an anonymous function to map(...), and you aren't binding it to any context.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

bartkusa posted:

OK. So where are you going to put your next breakpoint, to figure out why your assignment to onClickMe is wrong? You're going to put a breakpoint in this.props.dataRows.map(...)

And what will you find is causing your problems? "this" will be undefined, because you're passing an anonymous function to map(...), and you aren't binding it to any context.

Ahhh there we go, working now! That makes sense, thank you!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Next question about that fiddle: lets say TableWidget.handleClick does some ajax and I want to show an indication in the UI while it's loading. I can do some this.setState in the TableWidgetRow.handleClick but how does it know when TableWidget.handleClick has actually completed? Do I have to manipulate TableWidgetRow state from TableWidget? Here's the updated fiddle: http://jsfiddle.net/pj6hz7hq/4/

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
^ I was able to do it by just getting rid of TableWidget.handleClick and only having TableWidgetRow.handleClick, but I'm still kinda curious how you would pass state to a child component like that.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Passing state to a child component should be done with props, like <MyComponent myprops={this.state} /> or similar.

If you want to go the other direction, from child up back up the shadow DOM tree to where the state is managed, you can either chain callbacks being passed as props all the way up, or use the Flux pattern - where you have the concept of a store, and you bind an update function that triggers an event on that store, and then just reconcile your state with the store.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
A while back I had a question about JavaScript that basically was solved by having a primary "site" module and then each page would have its own separate page-specific module that controlled the stuff specific to that page. This is working well, but the actual compilation process is an absolute nightmare. I've found Watchify to be incredibly buggy and poorly maintained. Specifically I'm having this problem which was reported in August 2014 and has had a solution developed in a fork and yet still hasn't been fixed in the official repo. I'm wondering if someone can help me out by suggesting an alternative and perhaps point me at a half-decent "getting started" guide for that alternative? Whatever the solution is, it needs to be able to render JSX into JS and support RequireJS modules. It also needs to be capable of watching the files and auto-compiling on changes.

I'm fairly new to this modern front-end stuff, is the lack of maintenance on Watchify something that is common among other frequently used tools? How on Earth do you guys survive?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I've never used Watchify so I can't comment on that but I've been using Gulp to prepare my application for both development and production environments for nearly a year and have never run into any issues. It has a built in watcher so you can either run tasks manually or have them run as you make changes.

http://gulpjs.com/

Grunt is another popular alternative but I haven't used it much either.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The Wizard of Poz posted:

I'm fairly new to this modern front-end stuff, is the lack of maintenance on Watchify something that is common among other frequently used tools? How on Earth do you guys survive?

Half-baked Javascript projects are common in a way I haven't seen with C#, Python, etc. I personally survive by ignoring the "flavor of the month" stuff, and hand-rolling a lot of what I need. The small handful of libraries that I love and seem to be well maintained are things I don't ever want to reinvent the wheel on: React, numeral, moment, lodash, bluebird.

Grunt is OK, Gulp is pretty cool, but they all kind of fall into the same traps. Unless it's a huge project with lots of moving parts, I still tend to do things manually. If it takes me X time to setup and maintain Gulp, and it only saves me X-Y time, why bother?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Helicity posted:

Half-baked Javascript projects are common in a way I haven't seen with C#, Python, etc. I personally survive by ignoring the "flavor of the month" stuff, and hand-rolling a lot of what I need. The small handful of libraries that I love and seem to be well maintained are things I don't ever want to reinvent the wheel on: React, numeral, moment, lodash, bluebird.

Grunt is OK, Gulp is pretty cool, but they all kind of fall into the same traps. Unless it's a huge project with lots of moving parts, I still tend to do things manually. If it takes me X time to setup and maintain Gulp, and it only saves me X-Y time, why bother?

Unfortunately the major thing I'm struggling with is module management / building. I'm using the RequireJS syntax (using module.exports) so I need something to build these smaller JS files into bundles. Something that supports building to multiple output files is a must - basically my dev-JS looks something like this:
code:
scripts/
-- bundle.js
-- student_bundle.js
-- class_bundle.js
-- src/
----- class.js
----- student.js
----- site.js
----- jsx/
-------- DataList.jsx
Each of the three bundles listed there need to be generated by some kind of a compiler that can take the source files, resolve the includes, render the JSX and output the result as a bundle.

Those libraries you listed are excellent libraries, but the major issue I'm having is with the development toolchain rather than actual JS libraries themselves.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Each of the three bundles listed there need to be generated by some kind of a compiler that can take the source files, resolve the includes, render the JSX and output the result as a bundle.

Require definitely seems to support bundling: requirejs.org/docs/optimization.html

Does this help with the JSX piece? https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23381561/using-reactjs-with-requirejs

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Those libraries you listed are excellent libraries, but the major issue I'm having is with the development toolchain rather than actual JS libraries themselves.

Sorry, I didn't mean for those to be an example of a solution for you, it was more of a rant against the Javascript development ecosystem. I'm guessing Gulp might work for you, if you're interested in exploring other tools. It's probably the "fotm" build tool at the moment, so there shouldn't be any issues with show-stopping bugs hanging around. We do all sorts of bundling, require tomfoolery, SASS, etc. and it's worked rather well. I'm not sure about the JSX piece as we haven't mixed JSX into that project yet, but I'd be surprised if it didn't support it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Helicity posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean for those to be an example of a solution for you, it was more of a rant against the Javascript development ecosystem. I'm guessing Gulp might work for you, if you're interested in exploring other tools. It's probably the "fotm" build tool at the moment, so there shouldn't be any issues with show-stopping bugs hanging around. We do all sorts of bundling, require tomfoolery, SASS, etc. and it's worked rather well. I'm not sure about the JSX piece as we haven't mixed JSX into that project yet, but I'd be surprised if it didn't support it.

I'm looking to Gulp now, thanks. I think it's more likely to do what I'm after.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Unfortunately the major thing I'm struggling with is module management / building. I'm using the RequireJS syntax (using module.exports) so I need something to build these smaller JS files into bundles. Something that supports building to multiple output files is a must - basically my dev-JS looks something like this:

For the record, RequireJS is AMD and tends to look something like this:
code:
require(['underscore'], function(_) {});
CommonJS is the one that uses module.exports and stuff like [fixed]var _ = require('underscore');[fixed]

If you're doing the second one then I'd have to ask what you're using to compile it. Is it browserify?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

For the record, RequireJS is AMD and tends to look something like this:
code:
require(['underscore'], function(_) {});
CommonJS is the one that uses module.exports and stuff like var _ = require('underscore');

If you're doing the second one then I'd have to ask what you're using to compile it. Is it browserify?

Ah I see, sorry about the confusion.

Yes, I'm using Browserify, previously via watchify (which I believe is some sort of a wrapper that watches files for changes and then auto-Browserifies them).

I'm having a lot of trouble with Gulp. I don't understand how the piping works, here's what I have so far, and it's not working:

code:
var gulp = require('gulp'),
    uglify = require('gulp-uglify'),
    browserify = require('browserify'),
    source = require('vinyl-source-stream'),

var constants = {
    JS_SRC_PATH: './Scripts/src/',
    JS_DIST_PATH: './Scripts/js/',
};

// ...

gulp.task('build-js', function() {
    return browserify(constants.JS_SRC_PATH + 'modules/student.js')
        .bundle()
        .pipe(source('student.js'))
        .pipe(uglify())
        .pipe(gulp.dest(constants.JS_DIST_PATH + 'student_bundle.js'));
}
I'm having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around this. So from what I can gather bundle() is creating some output that is somehow incompatible with Gulp (according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQk2MhdzIHo). It seems like Gulp apparently uses something called 'Vinyl Streams'? So according to that same video I can use vinyl-source-stream to rectify this, so I've done as the video suggested and I've piped the output into source(). But if I do this, uglify doesn't work and gives me this error: Streaming not supported. If source() creates an output that Gulp likes to work with, and gulp-uglify is a Gulp plugin, what's wrong with what I'm doing?

Rant incoming:

I'm feeling incredibly demotivated and dispirited by all this, I've been a web developer for around 5-6 years and I have never felt so incredibly stupid and utterly outwitted. I don't think I am stupid, at least I didn't, but now I'm not sure. Is this something that is genuinely hard to grok or am I just stupid? I can't seem to find any "getting started" guides for this sort of thing that actually work, they all result in errors or unexpected behaviour. It seems like the APIs for these libraries are changing on a weekly basis so Stack Overflow answers are rarely helpful. Ditto for Google results. I just want to know if I'm the only one who really struggles with this or not?

What I'm trying to do seems like it would be an incredibly common task in modern web development, and I feel like there's some kind of memo floating around with the answers on it that other web developers have seen and I haven't. There are incredibly smart and helpful people in here, and they talk about all this poo poo as though its trivial, like they just quickly whip up a gruntfile and go about their work, but for me I just can't get any of it to work the way the guides and the tutorials say they're supposed to. Instead of getting any meaningful coding done I'm sitting here stuffing around with a gruntfile and getting absolutely nowhere.

I guess I'm just fed up with it all and I'm not sure where I've gone wrong - it seems like it's really hard for me but really easy for everyone else and I can only assume I've missed out on some important information somewhere. I really need some general guide to this modern front-end world and I just can't find one anywhere.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

IIRC I fixed that issue by importing vinyl-buffer and sticking '.pipe(vinyl_buffer())' in between pipe(source) and pipe(uglify).

EDIT: This one https://www.npmjs.com/package/vinyl-buffer

their use case also shows it between source() and uglify()

NovemberMike fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 5, 2015

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

I've been using webpack. It does have a built-in 'watch' mode that has worked well for me so far.

I think the webpack config that would be roughly equivalent to the gulpfile you posted would look something like:
code:
// webpack.config.js
module.exports = {
  entry: {
    student: './Scripts/src/student.js',
  },
  output: {
    path: './Scripts/js/',
    filename: '[name]_bundle.js'
  },
  // uncomment for jsx
  // you could also use babel-loader instead of jsx-loader for more ES6 features
  // module: {
  //   loaders: [
  //     { test: /\.jsx?$/, loader: 'jsx-loader?harmony', exclude: /node_modules/ }
  //   ]
  // },
  // resolve: {
  //   extensions: ['', '.js', '.jsx']
  // },
};
webpack -w
for watch mode

webpack -p
for minification /w uglifyjs. You could also configure it in webpack.config.js if you wanted to control it /w environment variables, or provide a specific uglifyjs config.

edit:
I remember not liking the webpack docs much but maybe this howto will also help:
https://github.com/petehunt/webpack-howto

skul-gun fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 5, 2015

Malacola
Apr 19, 2002

Don't worry - this poo poo sucks for all of us. TBH, this is my least favorite part about front end development today. Setting up tooling for a new project has always been a major sticking point, which is why you see so many gulp/grunt/browserify/webpack/whatever boilerplate templates on github. It really just comes down to picking one and going into a kind of manic fugue state as you read through the docs and look up blog posts and other people's repos and poke and prod your build files until everything starts making sense. With the browserify+gulp combo you've bitten off a pretty large chunk to try to understand all at once. Both those projects have pretty large ecosystems - I'd say most people that use them together have built their understanding of each incrementally on their own.

I'd also recommend taking a look at webpack - its documentation is just as terrible as the others, but at least its craziness is sort of self-contained. You can easily find boilerplates out there that compile JSX and start working from those - I haven't actually read through it yet but a quick google led me to https://github.com/christianalfoni/react-webpack-cookbook/wiki which looks like a pretty decent intro.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm going through some of the same growing pains as I'm transitioning to working on react and using gulp (my main impetus was so that my jsx would get compiled on the fly automatically). Here are the things that have saved me so far:

Concrete stuff related to getting up and running w react/browserify/gulp
1) Pretty sure I linked it already, but this article really helped me with the gulp/browserify setup.
2) I used react router to handle routing. With #1 above that got me to where I wanted to be in terms of framework for my initial react project.
3) Consider Linux. I'm a lifelong Windows guy, but god its so much easier to use a lot of the command line based tools in Ubuntu.

Less concrete stuff related to not going crazy because of framework/new-poo poo overload
1) use Twitter (curate your tech list diligently) and CoC to maintain a feel for where things are headed
2) start contributing to existing projects on Github
...a) or at least look at source code using the relevant stack
3) build something small and viable with whatever interests you (honestly you never know for sure with any of this poo poo until you try it on something and not just a hello-world)
...a) but limit the number of new techs per project

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 5, 2015

M31
Jun 12, 2012
I definitely recommend webpack for React. It has a development server that can hot reload javascript, which allows instant viewing of your changes. React components get automatically refreshed while you edit them.

https://vimeo.com/100010922

You can find a lot of starter packs on Github. It's also not that hard to combine with Gulp.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pete Hunt, one of the devs behind React, has what looks like a nice webpack how-to here: https://github.com/petehunt/webpack-howto

I haven't actually used webpack (because when I was picking a tool the webpack docs were terrible) , but I remembered coming across that.

My solution to the poo poo state of these tools is to get something that works and then never change it until forced to. Watchify+CommonJS has been working great for me.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

It seems like the APIs for these libraries are changing on a weekly basis so Stack Overflow answers are rarely helpful. Ditto for Google results. I just want to know if I'm the only one who really struggles with this or not?

Nope. There is a reason YOSPOS likes the term web "developers".

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
*a developer tries {thing} feels it's too complicated, decides to make their own {new thing}*
*{new thing} gets popular with others*
*{new thing} adds features others want*
*{new thing} becomes rapidly changing, confusing, mess*
*a developer tries {new thing} feels it's too complicated, decides to make their own {newer thing}...*

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is never try."

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Kekekela posted:

3) Consider Linux. I'm a lifelong Windows guy, but god its so much easier to use a lot of the command line based tools in Ubuntu.

After developing on a Mac for 2 years and being forced to recently switch back to Windows for my dev environment, I can't agree with this enough.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

enthe0s posted:

After developing on a Mac for 2 years and being forced to recently switch back to Windows for my dev environment, I can't agree with this enough.

It's so true that I do 100% of my development in an Ubuntu VM on my Windows machine. As a bonus, Its nice to be able to move my dev "machine" around very easily.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Thermopyle posted:

It's so true that I do 100% of my development in an Ubuntu VM on my Windows machine. As a bonus, Its nice to be able to move my dev "machine" around very easily.

I'm doing .NET stuff now, and as far as I'm aware I'm under the impression that I should be using Visual Studio on Windows. If I'm wrong about this, please tell me because I'm looking for any excuse to use an actual terminal again :shepicide:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

enthe0s posted:

I'm doing .NET stuff now, and as far as I'm aware I'm under the impression that I should be using Visual Studio on Windows. If I'm wrong about this, please tell me because I'm looking for any excuse to use an actual terminal again :shepicide:

Oh yes, you should definitely be using VS. I really should have quoted the original post recommending developing on Linux. I wasn't really saying anything about your situation.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I've only used Linux and Windows to any reasonable extent. If I can get around in Mint on the command line, does that mostly translate over to Mac?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

an skeleton posted:

I've only used Linux and Windows to any reasonable extent. If I can get around in Mint on the command line, does that mostly translate over to Mac?
For web dev, certainly. You'll want to learn Homebrew and some of the CLI differences between your everyday GNU tools and their BSD equivalents, but you shouldn't feel like a stranger.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
I'm about to do an presentation about browser layout algorithms (single-threaded era vs. Blink/Servo) and how to make things go close to 60fps (minimise reflow, js tips). Some feedback would be appreciated http://holloway.nz/what-a-browser-is/

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I think I'm able to follow your train of thought, even without your speech, which is a good sign.

I don't know if your audience will load this in their browsers during/after your talk, but it might help to hyperlink drat near everything on slide 13.

Examples are great. Your CSS examples are compelling. Maybe it'd even more compelling to have a Goofus and Gallant section where you quickly run through things like "this lovely templating example runs at 10fps in Chrome, but this one small tweak names it run 3x faster."

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

I'm about to do an presentation about browser layout algorithms (single-threaded era vs. Blink/Servo) and how to make things go close to 60fps (minimise reflow, js tips). Some feedback would be appreciated http://holloway.nz/what-a-browser-is/

I really liked it, good job.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

M31 posted:

I definitely recommend webpack for React.
After exceeding my budgeted tiem for loving-with-watchify, I'm trying this now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So, the past week or so I've been back to Angular after spending a month or more in React.

I used to tell people Angular was OK, but now I'm thinking Angular is just not worth using in a world where you can make the choice and React and related tools are available.

Is there anything that Angular is better at?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Rapid development for people who want to stick to a more conventional model/controller/view-template approach for their application, and want that structure enforced by the entire framework.

It has its niche, but I imagine its going to get dropped in the dust by Ember et al considering Ember won't be abandoned for 2.0 with no migration path.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Thanks all for making me feel a lot better, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my struggles.

I have a pretty simple and specific question now - I can't figure out what's happening here. This part of the code is very simple (line numbers are only for the purpose of this post):

code:
01:    addSelection: function(itemId) {
02:        var selectedItems = _.clone(this.state.selectedItems);
03:        selectedItems.push(itemId);
04:        this.setState({
05:          selectedItems: selectedItems
06:        });
07:
08:        if (this.props.onSelectItem) {
09:          this.props.onSelectItem(itemId);
10:        }
11:    }
This code should be updating the state so that after it has run it looks something like this (for itemId = 5):

code:
BEFORE (desirable)
--
this.state.selectedItems = [1, 2];

AFTER (desirable)
--
this.state.selectedItems = [1, 2, 5];

BEFORE (actual)
--

AFTER (actual)
--

But there's some pretty puzzling behaviour happening when I watch this through the Chrome debugger. this.state.selectedItems never gets updated. At line 2, the parameter itemId has been correctly set. At line 3, the local variable selectedItems contains a clone of the selectedItems list from the component state - so far so good. At line 4, the local selectedItems array contains the new id. At line 8, the component state has not been updated with the new selectedItems array.

If I step into this.setState, it's being run with no errors or anything like that, and the partial state gets sent through it okay as far as I can tell, but eventually the code gets kind of complex and difficult to follow. Has anyone encountered this before? Are there any gotchas I should be aware of with this.setState? It's worth mentioning that everything works fine with a different instance of the component on another page, but it's working with different data and there's so much different between the two that it's hard to properly compare.

Edit:
Doh! As always, talking through it for the sake of this post helped me find the problem - I'm not sure why it manifested the way it did, but I was accidentally using an undefined variable as a key on some elements in my React component.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 10, 2015

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Maluco Marinero posted:

... considering Ember won't be abandoned for 2.0 with no migration path.

If this is a reference to Angular, I thought the reason there currently wasn't a migration path from 1.3 to 2.0 is because 2.0 isn't done yet. Therefore, it's pointless to create a path to a moving target.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

If this is a reference to Angular, I thought the reason there currently wasn't a migration path from 1.3 to 2.0 is because 2.0 isn't done yet. Therefore, it's pointless to create a path to a moving target.

Nope, the PLAN is to have no migration path. The changes are too dramatic and fundamental apparently for a migration path to be feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Nope, the PLAN is to have no migration path. The changes are too dramatic and fundamental apparently for a migration path to be feasible.

While this is true, the 1.x line isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 1.4 is going to be released soon, and there are many internal Google apps that rely on the 1.x line, so they aren't going to just drop support for it.