Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm now trying to get back into pbp since my internet nerd cliche all has jobs and lives now. Back in the old community I started the longest running game that finished, which I quit for the last third because shitlords on the internet. But came back for the last bit to wrap it up. I still feel bad for flaking out on that eclipse phase game here years ago which is probably silly of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Rannos22 posted:

I don't think I've seen a worse reason not to use roll20, and its not like you need to dig deep to find a good reason.

What reasons are those? I mean it's probably one of the most user friendly free vtts available

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I've thought a bit about running a simple PbP game, maybe something like InSpectres (which could easily support people taking a break/dropping out and being replaced).

Rannos22 posted:

I don't think I've seen a worse reason not to use roll20, and its not like you need to dig deep to find a good reason.

Why not? I've used it when running a game for friends, and it worked just fine. Or is it something about the site/people behind it?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
edit
Slowpost. Responding to Ningyou.

That's a shame, it seems like a really neat toolset.
I had fun playing Traveller on it. I'm just shy, and busy, or I'd use it more.
Wouldn't know about 5e or PF, and I don't go on their forums. Does it matter as much there? It seems like it'd be very compartmentalized.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 10, 2015

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Friend of mine got me into the DBZ card game because it started up again and the cards are cool looking.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fallorn posted:

Friend of mine got me into the DBZ card game because it started up again and the cards are cool looking.

Man, that game was a mess before, but the power-up mechanics were neat and I liked the clear cards for it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
A question that came up tonight after the game (Last Stand, for the record): are there signs of anybody playing 5e? I don't even know anybody that owns the books in person. Is Pathfinder pretty much just kicking its rear end, or what?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A question that came up tonight after the game (Last Stand, for the record): are there signs of anybody playing 5e? I don't even know anybody that owns the books in person. Is Pathfinder pretty much just kicking its rear end, or what?
Honestly from what I've seen its pretty popular.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I have several groups of friends who are playing it. :shrug:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Hey this is like two birds with one stone, but here is the only set of actual numbers I've seen: http://blog.roll20.net/post/107957194710/the-orr-group-industry-report-q4-2014

Notably, the game that the largest number of people have played on roll20 in Q4 2014, and you might want to sit down for this bombshell, is D&D 3.5.

Edit: Apparently 'players' is a complete misnomer because it actually means the number of people who said "I would play this game" in their profile.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 10, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

I made a goblin cavalier, 7th level. Or, that is, asked some goons to do so after being totally lost making one on my own.

I could charge and do absurd damage. Otherwise, I was poo poo. At everything. I had some lackluster fiddly bonuses, but that's it.

The Warder is based on the Book of Nine Swords so it gets a series of maneuvers and stances. The schools it has access to reinforces its role as a tank. Some of the ways it does that are pretty fun. For example, Warning Roar lets me, when an ally within X ft is attacked, make a diplomacy roll vs the attack roll. On a success, the attack is negated. I have another one which allows me to make all attacks by allies do more damage against one target. I also gain a series of marks which greatly encourage people to fight me through the use of a -4 penalty and they can be applied as a free action whenever, even off my turn, I hit an enemy.

Essentially, Dreamscarred Press snuck in a 4e Fighter and Warlord into Pathfinder and made it pretty good.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Heliotrope posted:

I've thought a bit about running a simple PbP game, maybe something like InSpectres (which could easily support people taking a break/dropping out and being replaced).

Why not? I've used it when running a game for friends, and it worked just fine. Or is it something about the site/people behind it?

Nah its just weird and finicky and depends too much on the GM to know how it works because the players can't help them like they could in like vdaivve (which of course has its own problems). I mean, now that my crew has gotten used to it we're fine with it but I could see someone else just hating it for all sorts of valid reasons outside of "well their LFG area that nobody here will ever look at has bad people in it."

EDIT: Actually the people that make it could literally be hitler for all I know, I haven't looked into it.

Rannos22 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 10, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

All I can report on is anecdotes. At my local game store the only D&D I've heard anyone talk about in detail is Pathfinder and the store hosts regular Pathfinder Society games. They have some Next books on the shelves but I've never been around when anyone's been talking about it, so if anyone's playing it I have no idea but I've yet to stumble upon anyone discussing it in whatever sense.

That said it's a new D&D, the answer to "is anyone playing it" is "of course they are." How much, how many, etc. is a thing we'll never have numbers for.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Please capitalize your posts and respect people who like 5e and PF and don't generalize a gaming community.

Although I didn't knew there was a Roll20 community I just used it on ircgames I was already in and on a Rogue Trader game that I played with YCSers before I had to drop out due to classes.
i have ethical objections to using proper grammar at all ever in the chat thread sorry not sorry

Rannos22 posted:

The ehhhh D&D/PF thing is just a dumb personal preference thing, but uh how is 'there are lots of creepers here' a bad reason?

Like, I'm not saying USE THIS SITE NEVER OKAY or something! As a tool, it's great! But from context it sounded like Rocko was talking about playing with (well, being too shy to try playing with) actual people from R20, and, uh....it's the only elfgaming site where I've seen like 5-6 different skeevy 'looking for ~females~' recruits and an honest-to-god PUA webinar ad in the LFG forum! It is also the only elfgaming site where I've gotten seven-paragraph PMs out of the blue from dudes who can TELL over the internet that LIKE THEM I HAVE AN ANCIENT SOUL and want to roleplay being raped and beaten to death bc something something past lives

so, y'know.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I personally think using roll20 for dropin games or to recruit anonymous people is dumb. It's perfectly fine though for playing with people you know but live too far away to make in persona gaming practical.

edit: Also those accounts so like livejournal and gaia online roleplaying servers. Though you didn't mention any weird weeaboo final fantasy cults.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I wasn't even aware there was a Roll20 community, I've always just used it via google hangouts to play games with my friends.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
From experience, don't try making or playing in games with randos on roll20. I did that when the site started off and it never turned out well. From creepers, to unreliable people, to just generally unpleasant experiences. Overall, I'd avoid it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Man if i didn't use my real name on roll 20 i would totaly start a game to do a trip report.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Covok posted:

From experience, don't try making or playing in games with randos on roll20. I did that when the site started off and it never turned out well. From creepers, to unreliable people, to just generally unpleasant experiences. Overall, I'd avoid it.

Yeah, Roll20 is a great platform, but as with all things it's often best to play with people you're already comfortable with. Running games on Roll20 openly so that anyone can join carries all the risks of running a game at a convention (and just think of all the horror stories you've heard about convention games) plus the anonymity of the internet.

I personally use Roll20 to run games for people I already know but can't be with physically in the same room due to living in a different town or a different country even, or to people I know through the internet but know to be cool. I've been flirting with the idea of running a game with an open door policy, but the risk of attracting creeps is still keeping me from doing it.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Covok posted:

And if you are going to risk it, be prepared to bail right away. While I've lucked out on the three games I've tried to not have someone truly terrible, only one of them has been fun (although, technically recruited through a G+ community for the WWWRPG game) and the other two were quickly quit due to the GM being unable to figure out what he wanted to do game-wise (both games) and a problem player who clearly wasn't going to play well with others in the long run.

I guess there was the GM talking about the Angel character's lack of genitals in a Monster of the Week game, but that came off more like teenager humor gone terribly stupid than anything intentionally creepy. Very "Look, I'm talking about peepees and hoohahs!".

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm running a 5E game on IRC currently. Though yeah, it seems like the 3E grogs have mostly migrated straight to Pathfinder and entrenched themselves, and the people who liked 4E don't really see much charm in 5E because it's pretty much a step back on most of the things they liked.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mike Mearls has positioned D&D Next to appeal to people who are tired of 3.X, hate 4E, and refuse to play anything that isn't called Dungeons & Dragons. Pretty much anybody outside that Venn diagram has more appealing options.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Kai Tave posted:

Mike Mearls has positioned D&D Next to appeal to people who are tired of 3.X, hate 4E, and refuse to play anything that isn't called Dungeons & Dragons. Pretty much anybody outside that Venn diagram has more appealing options.

Well, it depends a bit. I'd say that, as fits actual mechanics and feel, it's roughly a mix of 3.X and 2E AD&D. I was, and am, one of the hardcore 2E dorks, and my feelings on 5E are that it feels like a more approachable 2E that requires a bit less houseruling(though still some) to fit my tastes. No real antipathy for 4E.

Though I admit in part I fired up a 5E game because I know some incredibly insufferable doomsayers who were whining for a solid year and a half or so about how hey could clearly recognize that 5E was going to be terrible, TERRIBLE FOREVER, without ever having tried it or really given it a chance in any way.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Next isn't ~~terrible~~, it just has a disappointingly narrow range of appeal that has more to do with identity politics/branding than any real concerted effort at good design.

I mean, even if you couched in criteria such as "fast-playing, rules-lite, easy to learn, must be named Dungeons and Dragons", there's still Basic/Rules Cyclopedia.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah but I really wanna play D&D that isn't 4e or the stupid complicated mess Pathfinder has become

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TheTatteredKing posted:

I'm now trying to get back into pbp since my internet nerd cliche all has jobs and lives now. Back in the old community I started the longest running game that finished, which I quit for the last third because shitlords on the internet. But came back for the last bit to wrap it up. I still feel bad for flaking out on that eclipse phase game here years ago which is probably silly of me.

It's cool, it happens! You weren't the only person we replaced anyway.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

yeah but I really wanna play D&D that isn't 4e or the stupid complicated mess Pathfinder has become

If you want to give 5E a shot, I can pass you the tentative house rules I'm using to improve my group's experience.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What is the basic rundown of the various D&D editions? My only playing experience was a mishmash of 1ed and 2ed, but I do remember owning the red box as a kid. Honestly at this point I think whatever bastard version Baulder's Gate used is the only one I am really familiar with.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean, even if you couched in criteria such as "fast-playing, rules-lite, easy to learn, must be named Dungeons and Dragons", there's still Basic/Rules Cyclopedia.

5e still fails those first three anyway.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

PurpleXVI posted:

I know some incredibly insufferable doomsayers who were whining for a solid year and a half or so about how hey could clearly recognize that 5E was going to be terrible, TERRIBLE FOREVER, without ever having tried it or really given it a chance in any way.

So they were playtesters?

But yeah, as said before Next's biggest sin is mediocrity. Going into it to prove NO IT'S GOOD isn't going to work unless you've got a house rule binder full of band-aids and your players are Real Mad at 4e.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

bunnielab posted:

What is the basic rundown of the various D&D editions? My only playing experience was a mishmash of 1ed and 2ed, but I do remember owning the red box as a kid. Honestly at this point I think whatever bastard version Baulder's Gate used is the only one I am really familiar with.

Rundown in what sense? As in the differences? Thematics? Moods? Opinions?

But using 2E as a baseline, expect this to be very flavoured by my own opinions and experiences...

Expect 3E to have a much more unified system, but worse class balance, and FAR more magic. A +1 sword is no longer rare and special, it's used to pave streets. 3.5E is basically just a mildly rebalanced 3E, all the same comments and critiques apply. The upsides is way more freedom to customize characters(assuming you weren't using Player's Option for 2E, in which case I'd say 2E still wins out there) and generally an easier system. It sometimes gets called the "caster supremacy"-edition and that's honestly a pretty fair critique. Also pretty much every single critique that applies to 3E also applies to Pathfinder, don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

4E feels to me much more designed for play with a grid(some people say all D&D is made for use with a grid, but I still hold that it's way more vital to have a grid or battle map for 4E than it ever was for 2E, 3E or 5E), and returns to having pretty solid balance, generally by the means of now unifying the systems the classes use. I.e. every class is basically based around using powers, rather than wizards and clerics getting cool special abilities while fighters get Attack and Attack+1. It generally feels like a bit of a reboot of the franchise, in the sense that it's a lot less afraid to throw out old things and try new things. By and large probably the most well-designed D&D edition(at least rules-wise, I really did not care much for the provided fluff and setting work) since 2E.

5E returns to something a lot similar to 3E's system, but with a few twists, borrowing improved class balance, some simplification(in terms of skills/proficiencies, for instance) and greater rarity of magic from 2E. Largely it's an updated 3E, though, rather than a continuation of the ideas and concepts from 4E, which it largely seems to dump by the wayside, which is a bit of a shame, because while the fighty classes are definitely less shafted than they were in 3E, without some houseruling they're still somewhat at a dearth for actually fun options. It's hard to really call it poo poo, but you could definitely say that it failed to learn.

Moths: If they'd been playtesters, I would've listened to them. They were just fuckfaces, so by and large I just resolved to give 5E a chance and see if fun could be had with it to give them the finger.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
How did you house rule out the hateful toxicity and history of harassment?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good summary here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons#Version_history

Reading this will save you from having to listen to individual people's opinions.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 10, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't tell you anything about 2e D&D because I start thinking about THAC0 and racial class limitations and then my head starts to throb and I need to go lay down for a while

Covok
May 27, 2013

I've been playing a lot of Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse. It's pretty rad...and that's something I don't say lightly...since that's something I haven't said since I was 11. A thought popped into my head during play: has anyone done that kind of shonen action well in a tabletop space? I know there was an awful offical license game, but I can't think of much else.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Covok posted:

I've been playing a lot of Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse. It's pretty rad...and that's something I don't say lightly...since that's something I haven't said since I was 11. A thought popped into my head during play: has anyone done that kind of shonen action well in a tabletop space? I know there was an awful offical license game, but I can't think of much else.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/111059/Shonen-Final-Burst

this is 100% what you want

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PurpleXVI posted:

If you want to give 5E a shot, I can pass you the tentative house rules I'm using to improve my group's experience.

Maybe you could share those in the Newbie thread?

bunnielab posted:

This is a really broad question, but to oversimplify, Baldur's Gate used AD&D 2nd Edition rules, which were themselves the evolution of Original D&D and then Advanced D&D 1st Edition.

3rd Edition was more of a bottom-up rebuild of the game (for better or worse) but there's seriously so many differences that you might want to check out wikipedia or even Shannon Appelcline's work into the history of the hobby unless you have specific questions in mind.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 10, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
It depends on what show you are trying to emulate as there are often drastic differences in the fighting shonen genre. For example JoJo's Bizarre Adventure often structures its fights like a puzzle with strength taking a backseat to intelligence.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MadScientistWorking posted:

It depends on what show you are trying to emulate as there are often drastic differences in the fighting shonen genre. For example JoJo's Bizarre Adventure often structures its fights like a puzzle with strength taking a backseat to intelligence.

Oh, definitely, but if we're talking about martial arts-focused fighty shonen then it's pretty much perfect..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If a game claims to be Shonen emulator but I can't use my power of strings to fold myself into a Mobius Strip to avoid the crushing onset of gravity accelerated time then it's no shonen game at all.

• Locked thread