Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Imperial Firespray pilot cards all have the auxiliary fire arc icon on them. Per the rules FAQ, you need the icon on your pilot card to fire your primary out of your auxiliary arc. Imperial Firespray pilots have the icon and can do this. Scum Firespray pilots do not have the icon and so currently, per the rules as they exist for the game, cannot actually fire their primary out of their auxiliary arc.

That's the thing; none of my Imperial Firespray pilot cards have the arrows. They were pre-ordered before they were ever released, and they do not have the arrows, but I never heard of anyone ever bringing this up before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Then, RAW, if you used those cards and 'that guy' at a tournament used it against you, according to the FAQ you wouldn't be able to use the aux firing arc or the yt-1300 turret. No one is advocating using this lovely tactic in this thread (or at least, I hope not), but there are going to be people that will, which is why people are advocating tight rulings in order to prevent things like that from happening.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

enigmahfc posted:

That's the thing; none of my Imperial Firespray pilot cards have the arrows. They were pre-ordered before they were ever released, and they do not have the arrows, but I never heard of anyone ever bringing this up before.

I'm gonna request a scan of this.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm gonna request a scan of this.

When I get home tonight, I can get a picture or something.

edit: Or I cold have images of them saved to my Dropbox for some reason. the third picture is the alt art Imperial Boba Fett, and it doesn't have the arrows either. In fact, neither does Han, Chewie or Lando, as I found out from a quick Google Image search. I highly doubt these would be any kind of issue in a tournament.

I'm really not wanting to draw this conversation out, I'm just pointing out that it's an obvious misprint, or they were just using the older asset templates for the Firespray that didn't have the arrows to begin with.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 9, 2015

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Now that it has reminded me, both promo versions of Boba Fett lack the symbol.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So not only is it a dumb mistake, it's a dumb mistake they've already made multiple times. :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wow, yeah. I just checked and the original falcon has the icon but both of the promos do not. The original fires pray has the icon but the promo does not. The decimator does have the icon but I'm gonna assume any promos will not. This is the first time it's happened in any boxed version but never saw the discrepancy in the promos.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You could make an argument that the icon is similar to magic's rules reminder text and that the printed arc is all that's required but then that would close off that design space I pointed out. Whether or not they want that possibility is anybody's guess.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

"That Guy" apparently attends my LGS, as yesterday there was a huge arguement between him and a fellow using a promo fett card.

The TO ruled that Fett could still fire off the rear arc, but this wasn't nationals or anything, just a weekend tourney. :smith:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Until now, it was an hypothetical: now, it's living proof.

gently caress that guy.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
At least the tournament rules state that TOs have final say for any rules interpretations and have the ability to override the FAQ.

Solution: TO makes an announcement prior to the tournament stating that Scum firesprays can use their rear arcs. Whiny pissbaby players can shut the gently caress up and deal.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheTofuShop posted:

"That Guy" apparently attends my LGS, as yesterday there was a huge arguement between him and a fellow using a promo fett card.

The TO ruled that Fett could still fire off the rear arc, but this wasn't nationals or anything, just a weekend tourney. :smith:

:magical: that means I can no longer use my cool Han Solo riding the falcon card

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 9, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

:magical: that means I can no longer use my cool Han Solo riding the falcon card

TIMG tag that poo poo man

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wow I never even noticed the YT-2400 was supposed to have that symbol on the card. Pretty sure mine doesn't. Now I have to check my Slave 1 stuff

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

TIMG tag that poo poo man

I phone post. I don't know what resolution things are.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

I phone post. I don't know what resolution things are.

All the more reason to timg just in case! :v:

Re: "that guy" - I haven't played at my LGS in a while, but apparently this dude is a recent x-wing convert from 40K, and I saw him call the TO over 3 times to settle an argument between him and his opponent(s). Luckily, his outburst happened in round 1, so most people had already seen how he behaved and were prepared for him. Most of the regulars I talked to on Sunday were frustrated with him, and he actually left in a huff right before the last round.

I played Chewie + Han and went 2-2, mostly because I told myself I had to play a double YT-1300 game to justify buying that second one from b&n a month or so ago.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

Re: "that guy" - I haven't played at my LGS in a while, but apparently this dude is a recent x-wing convert from 40K, and I saw him call the TO over 3 times to settle an argument between him and his opponent(s). Luckily, his outburst happened in round 1, so most people had already seen how he behaved and were prepared for him. Most of the regulars I talked to on Sunday were frustrated with him, and he actually left in a huff right before the last round.

Haha oh man, what a knob. Guys like this are the primary reason why I haven't played at one of my local game stores in years.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My FLGS has a group of about 20 people now who play every week, we have a couple of bad apples but it's super easy to avoid them. It's fun to play in a meta instead of just against friends!

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
I

AndyElusive posted:

Haha oh man, what a knob. Guys like this are the primary reason why I haven't played at one of my local game stores in years.
I've only got one guy to play against unless I go to the flgs, to be honest people like that are why I haven't yet

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
My favorite is the guy who gets one of his ships shot and then moans about how he is going to lose while mopping up the game with insane dice while flying poorly. So drat frustrating.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The Gate posted:

My favorite is the guy who gets one of his ships shot and then moans about how he is going to lose while mopping up the game with insane dice while flying poorly. So drat frustrating.

Yeah we have the guy who complains about his rolls every goddamn game. Then flies a TIE swarm and doesn't have to use Howlrunner because he just rolls 2 hits on every TIE Fighter. Yup

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

Yeah we have the guy who complains about his rolls every goddamn game. Then flies a TIE swarm and doesn't have to use Howlrunner because he just rolls 2 hits on every TIE Fighter. Yup

Yeah. But, all that said, he's literally the only person out of 20, and it would be easy for me to just not play him.

I'd actually push anyone afraid of that guy to at least go to your game store once. Lurk awkwardly for a few minutes, get a feel for the crowd. So far, I've found a large majority of players to actually be super chill, even when playing in a tournament.

And honestly, not playing at all, or letting one poo poo person keep you away, is reinforcing that poo poo behavior. Just don't play that one guy, play with the cool people, and don't worry about making the rear end in a top hat feel awkward or bad. They'll either take the hint and shape up, or disappear. But when that one rear end in a top hat is tolerated and the cool people leave, more and more assholes show up and ruin the group completely. Sadly, a lot of game store owners are too socially inept themselves to realize that or act on it, and let the assholes be assholes.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

alg posted:

I have been known to lament the day's dice, but I have enough sense to know that it's mostly my own fault for not taking things that can mitigate their nature, like reroll abilities and such. And I say lament, not whine endlessly or rage out and quit. Bad sportsmanship really kills just about any game for me.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

So, couple weeks ago I asked for advice and started with one core set and the separate Tie and X-wing.

A week later a guy I know was selling his, and I have more now. Might pick up a most wanted for those extra dials..

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Greyish Orange posted:

So, couple weeks ago I asked for advice and started with one core set and the separate Tie and X-wing.

A week later a guy I know was selling his, and I have more now. Might pick up a most wanted for those extra dials..

0/10

Still don't have one of everything

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

AndyElusive posted:

There are probably some chill dudes who just want to fly casual at your local gaming store. You should play some games with them. There's a good chance you'd even out an odd number of players!

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Poopy Palpy posted:

There are probably some chill dudes who just want to fly casual at your local gaming store. You should play some games with them. There's a good chance you'd even out an odd number of players!

Even if you odd up an even number, we like new folks because you bring something new to the table. After a while, you start to get used to the same rock arrangements, the same type of playstyles from the same people. Fresh blood shakes it up a bit, and you've got something new to think about.

Also claiming dibs on the new guy for Team Epic is a thing.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The Gate posted:

Yeah. But, all that said, he's literally the only person out of 20, and it would be easy for me to just not play him.

I'd actually push anyone afraid of that guy to at least go to your game store once. Lurk awkwardly for a few minutes, get a feel for the crowd. So far, I've found a large majority of players to actually be super chill, even when playing in a tournament.

I just want to echo this sentiment. In this particular event, no one could avoid playing him unless they wanted to forfeit a round, but I'd never seen this dude playing in the store before, so who knows if they actually play casually with him.

But really, like 99% of the players at the store are cool, chill people, and if you can get over the fact that several are Phantom flying Imperial Scum, it's normally a good time.

The final round of the tourney had a Son playing against his Dad's Tie Swarm, and seeing the kid light up when his Assault Missles took out 3 TIEs was so adorable. :3:

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

What's the strongest rebel swarm right now?

4x Tala
4x Bandit

Just overwhelming numbers of Zs that can split up if necessary and half shoot before many Tie swarm builds. Will chew up large ships but have to fan out against arc dodgers and really slog through it.

or

4x Tala
2x Bandit
Lieutenant Blount
- Deadeye
- Assault Missiles

Blount charges forward to deliver the assault missile attack against an enemy swarm, or simply uses it on a large ship before his own squad closes to range 1. Could be just overpaying for a gimmick, though.

or

3x Rookie Pilot
3x Bandit

Slightly fewer total red dice, but concentrated onto the Xs.

or the classic

4x Blue Squadron
1x Bandit

Trying to decide if I should bring one of these to a store tournament.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Blount with Ion Missiles is also pretty mean to gently caress with Soontir/Phantoms/Big ship by letting the swarm close in on something they might have trouble with.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

With Blount, considering the hit occurs regardless of the roll, do you still discard the Missiles when the roll isn't a hit? When using Munitions Failsafe, I mean.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yes.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cheers. Thanks for clearing that up.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
What's something a newish player can do to bring down an IG-2000? I know it's pretty subjective with lists and all that, just looking for some roundabout strategies. I have at least one of everything except for the Tantive and Rebel Transport and I've tried a TIE swarm, mini Z swarm with no luck and the Falcon vs IG was pretty boring to us.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Has anybody here ever played a game with moving asteroids using some kind of scatter die and moving them using the speed 1 template in between turns? The idea kind of intrigues me and brings to mind images of TIEs getting smashed to smithereens in Empire.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 10, 2015

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
There are a couple of guys at the club that bring something like that up every other week. Then they start talking about having the play mat be a screen with a computer modeled background with dynamic asteroid drift and blah blah. On one hand it could be neat to have the space rock move around a bit. On the other hand I figure it would be like playing the scenarios from the core book (nobody ever want to).

My load of bullshit is reskinning the game as Crimson Skies and using the old ral partha minis. Man I miss that game.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

Has anybody here ever played a game with moving asteroids using some kind of scatter die and moving them using the speed 1 template in between turns? The idea kind of intrigues me and brings to mind images of TIEs getting smashed to smithereens in Empire.

We did this at my LGS, one problem we ran into was when the asteroids hit edges they'd clump up. We fixed that by having them wrap around the board i.e. if the scatter die takes one off the left edge it reappears on the right edge at range 1 from it.

It was a neat change, kind of a pain in the butt, but neat. If you're not a sadist, roll the scatter die for asteroid movement before setting dials. If you ARE a sadist, make the roll once all the dials are down :getin:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

LoG posted:

What's something a newish player can do to bring down an IG-2000? I know it's pretty subjective with lists and all that, just looking for some roundabout strategies. I have at least one of everything except for the Tantive and Rebel Transport and I've tried a TIE swarm, mini Z swarm with no luck and the Falcon vs IG was pretty boring to us.

Bring a phantom. Or something with Att 3 that can live inside tightly packed asteroids. PTL interceptors, FCS/AdS Bwings. Swarms while good blockers dont have the punch to break through 3 agil with auto thrusters

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

overdesigned posted:

It was a neat change, kind of a pain in the butt, but neat. If you're not a sadist, roll the scatter die for asteroid movement before setting dials. If you ARE a sadist, make the roll once all the dials are down :getin:

I'm chuckling to myself at work from thinking about a game between two swarm builds where the asteroids move randomly every turn after the dials are down. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Hell, why make it completely one way or the other? Set every dial at PS5 or lower first, then move rocks, then set the rest of your dials.

(And now we see how elegant games turn into bloated messes of if/then flowcharts and randomness)

• Locked thread