Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

hitze posted:

Toronto Bros suffering with us

So, Cavs-Warriors finals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Niwrad posted:

There is an underpass in Chicago that has a water stain that people thought looked like Virgin Mary. For years people prayed in front of it and put out flowers. It even has it's own Yelp page.

The city eventually painted over it although people still came out to light candles and stuff. But now something new has appeared.

edit: I might be wrong on the location. Some saying it's not at the underpass but just on the Fullerton strip.

Chicago is cool

remember
Nov 23, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

we're the third best team in the NBA via MoV, have the best ORTG, have had a reigning 1st team all-nbaer out for a month, and have played the toughest schedule in the NBA other than the Lakers.

the biggest problem come the postseason is the fact that we foul/get called for fouls way too loving much.

The Clippers also probably have the most tenuous spacing barring maybe the Grizzlies when they play Tony Allen, 17th DRTG, best player is your point guard(without a real ball handling two unless we're counting Crawford), and will have to go through that 4/5 matchup in a really stacked Western Conference.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

wangvicous posted:

The Clippers also probably have the most tenuous spacing barring maybe the Grizzlies when they play Tony Allen, 17th DRTG, best player is your point guard(without a real ball handling two unless we're counting Crawford), and will have to go through that 4/5 matchup in a really stacked Western Conference.
?

we're a jump shooting basketball team that (basically) starts JJ Redick and Jamal Crawford. There are no concerns about offense with the Clippers when we're at full health.

The bigger concern is that our bench is a dumpster fire.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

we're the third best team in the NBA via MoV, have the best ORTG, have had a reigning 1st team all-nbaer out for a month, and have played the toughest schedule in the NBA other than the Lakers.

the biggest problem come the postseason is the fact that we foul/get called for fouls way too loving much.

You are around the middle 3rd in foul differential. CP3 is also one of the most physical defenders in the league - he grabs and reaches every play but has the *gritty defender* label so he gets away with it.

If anyone should complain it's GSW - they're the only good team in the bottom ten. And Atlanta, who plays very similarly, is like 6 (which is some bullshit).

LAC's spacing is hosed unless Reddick is playing well. It's gonna come down to matchup but I bet Jamal wins a game or two.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Spite posted:

LAC's spacing is hosed unless Reddick is playing well. It's gonna come down to matchup but I bet Jamal wins a game or two.
i don't get how our spacing is 'hosed' we literally have the best offense in the league

e: and the concern about fouls is that we foul too much, it's not a complaining about the refs thing. we're the only playoff team in the bottom five of FTA/FG. it's the critical flaw with our defense.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

i don't get how our spacing is 'hosed' we literally have the best offense in the league

e: and the concern about fouls is that we foul too much, it's not a complaining about the refs thing. we're the only playoff team in the bottom five of FTA/FG. it's the critical flaw with our defense.

lol

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

bill simmons is right, trade Blake Griffin for some knock down shooters

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

? (and we shoot the 5th most threes in the NBA)

remember
Nov 23, 2006

? (and we shoot the 5th most threes in the NBA)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2011.html

Spacing doesn't mean that you can have or not have the best offense. What we mean by spacing is that players are not sufficiently spaced from one another. Now why do I link the 2011 season, notice the 3rd offense by ORTG is the Miami Heat offense. They lost the Finals essentially because of spacing. Lebron and Wade(before Spo installed the 4 out/5 out offense) occupied the same general space on the floor, this along with Haslem and Bosh being on the court at the same time made the court rather cramped with not enough shooting. The Mavs were the first team, with a good enough offense, that also ran zone a majority of the time. So they dared the Heat to shoot 3's when they only had 1 real 3 point shooter on the court, with the wings looking to drive.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

ahem I think you'll find that they lost the finals because Lebron choked, and then he gave up twitter and read The Hunger Games and then he won.

my point is that you're acting as if spacing is some deadly flaw for the Clippers offense. It's not. We shoot a ton of threes and we have the second highest efg and ts% in the league. Our wings are just shooters and cutters. Our front court doesn't really provide much spacing, but Blake can operate as a ball handler out on the wing so that's how we get spacing out there.

I just don't see the spacing issues. I watch all the games. We're not really congested on offense, players aren't running into eachother. Jordan providing nothing but dunks is the biggest spacing issue with the team, but the same Mavs team proved you can succeed with a player that does that in Tyson Chandler. Blake's range isn't what Dirk's is, but he can keep teams honest with his jumper now and that was a massive development in the growth of offense this season. Blake operating with the ball at the elbow and CP3 off the ball was getting us amazing looks before his injury.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It all made sense to me until I read "Blake operating ... elbow" and then my brain grossed itself out and crashed like a burning airplane into a golf course

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

ahem I think you'll find that they lost the finals because Lebron choked, and then he gave up twitter and read The Hunger Games and then he won.

my point is that you're acting as if spacing is some deadly flaw for the Clippers offense. It's not. We shoot a ton of threes and we have the second highest efg and ts% in the league. Our wings are just shooters and cutters. Our front court doesn't really provide much spacing, but Blake can operate as a ball handler out on the wing so that's how we get spacing out there.

I just don't see the spacing issues. I watch all the games. We're not really congested on offense, players aren't running into eachother. Jordan providing nothing but dunks is the biggest spacing issue with the team, but the same Mavs team proved you can succeed with a player that does that in Tyson Chandler. Blake's range isn't what Dirk's is, but he can keep teams honest with his jumper now and that was a massive development in the growth of offense this season. Blake operating with the ball at the elbow and CP3 off the ball was getting us amazing looks before his injury.

It's more that I think a small flaw quickly becomes deadly against good teams over 7 games.

I think in the playoffs teams will heavily pack the paint, cover Reddick and Paul and live with Blake jumpers and Barnes 3's. And those two are too streaky to win several playoff series in the West.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Spite posted:

I think in the playoffs teams will heavily pack the paint, cover Reddick and Paul and live with Blake jumpers and Barnes 3's. And those two are too streaky to win several playoff series in the West.
this isn't how the NBA works, it's not like teams have myopic individual schemes.

Plays and defensive plays are based on flows of actions. This is the main reason why we installed a read and react offense this season. When players get open looks like the GSW did against the Clippers last night it's because they're overhelping on players like Paul/Redick (Curry/Thompson in this instance). If teams double Chris the Clippers swing the ball to Griffin and he playmakes and looks for cutters with the space that the overaggressiveness provides. We get a ton of easy looks when people try and blanket CP3, he's great at passing out of doubles and we have a really intelligent supporting cast outside of Jordan.

The only teams that truly do a good job of coping with our offense at full strength are the ones like the Grizzlies and Thunder that have a bigger guard that gives him a lot of trouble one on one like Allen and Westbrook do so that they don't need to help.

I don't really think we're a finals contender, because the defense isn't good enough and we have serious matchup problems with 2 out of the 3 best teams in the conference, but I also think you guys are extrapolating a lot of nonsense from watching a string of games in which we're missing 2 out of our 4 most important offensive players.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Whiteside was trying to establish himself as an enforcer ala Oakley because there are still coaches that eat that poo poo up

Not sure who he was impressing with it. Got tossed from an important game and is probably looking at a suspension.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I've watched a lot of the wolves this year. Probably at least 35 games start to finish. Being in person to witness this loss. Has to be top 3 worst losses this season. They looked so bad.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I've watched a lot of the wolves this year. Probably at least 35 games start to finish. Being in person to witness this loss. Has to be top 3 worst losses this season. They looked so bad.
after watching that i'm completely out on flip saunders and think it might have been the worst coaching performance I've ever seen. no play calls, no getting wiggins looks against matt barnes. letting rubio shoot long 2s. completely loving up the rotation. getting blown out by a team with its best two players hobbled and prominently featuring the talents of spencer hawes, big baby davis, nate robinson, and austin rivers in the year of our lord 2015.

it seemed like he was high out there or just completely disinterested.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm laying blame on Saunders for his funky rear end rotations but the whole team just looked bad. Bad entry passes from LaVine are to be expected. Rubio was doinking poo poo passes. On a layup in the first half he had a clear lane to the basket and at the last second decided to switch hands for no reason. Wiggins didn't look comfortable. No one was making shots. Saw a stat where it was something like Minnesota has shot 11 three point shots in the past 7 quarters. That's freakishly low and not really acceptable. If this team is having a bad shooting night, and this was truly a poo poo show, it shows how vulnerable they are without someone out there simply busting rear end. Payne did a bit. But next year you want to see Wiggins simply taking charge. he was far too passive.

Interior defense was a complete no show. Jordan went inside and dunked whenever he pleased.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

just completely disinterested.

I mean, it's probably this. What do the Wolves have to gain by winning games at this point? Teams that start as poorly as Minnesota pack it in at this point in the season all the time.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
He's going for the lottery, so might as well chill?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

They should probably cut down Rubios minutes, cause they are out of control

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
So apparently Dahntay Jones bumping into Draymond Green is going to become a Thing. Both Jones and Doc Rivers gave some quotes today calling Green soft over it. Given the pre-existing Golden State/LA tensions, I imagine the media is licking their chops (I sort of am also tbh).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

wangvicous posted:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2011.html

Spacing doesn't mean that you can have or not have the best offense. What we mean by spacing is that players are not sufficiently spaced from one another. Now why do I link the 2011 season, notice the 3rd offense by ORTG is the Miami Heat offense. They lost the Finals essentially because of spacing. Lebron and Wade(before Spo installed the 4 out/5 out offense) occupied the same general space on the floor, this along with Haslem and Bosh being on the court at the same time made the court rather cramped with not enough shooting. The Mavs were the first team, with a good enough offense, that also ran zone a majority of the time. So they dared the Heat to shoot 3's when they only had 1 real 3 point shooter on the court, with the wings looking to drive.

If you can score, it absolutely doesn't matter how you get those points. These floor-spacing offenses aren't new, even the most modern form is basically ten+ years old at this point. And there are a lot of teams with great spacing and ball movement that have been sent home by ISO and post teams. There's no single answer for what type of offense is the most effective thing in the NBA and we're like, four years removed from the common mantra being that a jumpshooting team couldn't ever win a title.

Spacing is a tool used to create three point shots. But it's not the only tool that does it, if Chris Paul driving and kicking to JJ Redick and only JJ makes a comparable number of threes, there's no difference. And if you have Jordan and Pippen and can score 109 a game mostly from 2, it doesn't matter if you don't shoot many threes.

The best way to score in the NBA is the way that allows the talent on your particular team to score and one solution doesn't fit all or equal a championship. The closest thing to a rule is "transcendent talent overcomes anything else" but even that isn't fast and firm anymore.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Mornacale posted:

So apparently Dahntay Jones bumping into Draymond Green is going to become a Thing. Both Jones and Doc Rivers gave some quotes today calling Green soft over it. Given the pre-existing Golden State/LA tensions, I imagine the media is licking their chops (I sort of am also tbh).

lmao what the gently caress was he supposed to do, just leave the interview and go bust dahntay's head

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
actually that would have been extremely dope, so yea

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
Honestly, I couldn't believe that Dahntay Jones was fined $10,000 for that baby bump. That probably amounts to highway robbery for someone on Jones' salary. It was such NBD that I missed it live, and had to rewatch it a few times to see how "serious" it was.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Mornacale posted:

I think Draymond already got the perfect last word on the subject. If he didn't fall for the bump in the first place, why would he get riled up by them taking it to the media?

danucleus posted:

Honestly, I couldn't believe that Dahntay Jones was fined $10,000 for that baby bump. That probably amounts to highway robbery for someone on Jones' salary. It was such NBD that I missed it live, and had to rewatch it a few times to see how "serious" it was.

On the other hand, it was a super weak thing to do so I don't feel bad for him. Although if he was encouraged to do it by Rivers then I would hope the team compensated him for that fine.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 10, 2015

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Maybe the fine is a message to all the players that the league doesn't want them interfering in postgame interviews.

danucleus posted:

Bill Walton on Ralph Lawler Day! "Everyday is Ralph Lawler Day". Bill is the best

http://kfwbam.com/2015/03/09/bill-walton-surprises-ralph-lawler-on-the-home-team/

e: I need to ask for nothing more if I can enjoy life as Bill Walton enjoys life

Start smoking weed. Or start smoking more weed than you currently are.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Mornacale posted:

Yes, Doc Rivers, bumping into a guy who is being interviewed on live TV is something that will get your rear end fined. Who knew, right?!

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

danucleus posted:

Thats like a 10/10 chump move bumping a guy after a game while he is being interviewed on live national television. If he did it during the game thats one thing but afterwards is super lame and I find it almost impossible but I think Doc Rivers is even more of a whiney baby now taking pot shots at Green for not losing his cool on TV. I expected Jones to be bush league about it.

Doc calling anyone soft is hilarious though.

Vire fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 10, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Are you guys writing the Clippers off? At this point if reports of Tony Parker's death were premature and Blake is back and in shape for the playoffs, I sorta think every team in the west except Portland and Houston* have a reasonable shot.

*boo Harden go home

I have not really managed to watch Dallas play much so I can't make a judgement there. Anyhow Western Conference playoffs should be great this year. My dearest wish is a Golden State** 1st round exit but Scott Brooks Is A Bad Coach but then again there are two actual MVP caliber players on that poo poo-coached squad.

In the East only the Cavs and the Hawks got any chance at all. Maybe the Bulls if they're healthy so not the Bulls. I'm excited for the Bucks who may well make it to the second round.

** I really genuinely enjoy everything about that team except Steph Curry's Stupid Face. I do not understand why this is an issue for me. Sports Forever.

Juaguocio posted:

Maybe the fine is a message to all the players that the league doesn't want them interfering in postgame interviews.

Hah if that were the issue Bosh would get his entire salary fined away and his many loyal animal friends would burst from the woods and demolish the league office in their savage revenge.

Ehh for a bottom of the league player like Jones it seem like a real cement-headed career-loving move to put yourself in a situation where any player ever might be like "nah that dude sucks don't pick him up on a 10 day" but then I also think it's pretty stupid to put an H in Dante so maybe I don't like his whole family. Ugh even Dontay makes more sense than Dahntay glad I won't have to see that name very often

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Grozz Nuy posted:

On the other hand, it was a super weak thing to do so I don't feel bad for him. Although if he was encouraged to do it by Rivers then I would hope the team compensated him for that fine.

I don't think that's how fines work, the only compensation they can give him is rear end slaps and the knowledge that he's a modern day tough guy who bumps people while they're giving interviews and doesn't give a gently caress

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

chunkles posted:

I don't think that's how fines work, the only compensation they can give him is rear end slaps and the knowledge that he's a modern day tough guy who bumps people while they're giving interviews and doesn't give a gently caress
other players cover fines sometimes per jalen rose. dahntay (or however you spell it) has made plenty of money in his nba career though

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Fight!

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/9/8180797/texas-southern-womens-college-basketball-fight

EvanTH posted:

I have not really managed to watch Dallas play much so I can't make a judgement there. Anyhow Western Conference playoffs should be great this year. My dearest wish is a Golden State** 1st round exit but Scott Brooks Is A Bad Coach but then again there are two actual MVP caliber players on that poo poo-coached squad.

You're not a cool dude.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Golden State/OKC first round: Westbrook driving to the hole, taking off, rising higher, fracturing Draymond Green's orbital bone with sheer size and density of his balls, and throwing it down with the ferocity of a rabid pitbull to create the poster of the century is all that we can hope for.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

quote:

CSNPhilly.com’s Dei Lynam, citing a “league source close to Embiid,” said Embiid is scheduled for a checkup with his doctor Tuesday in Los Angeles.

:ohdear:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

soggybagel posted:

I'm laying blame on Saunders for his funky rear end rotations but the whole team just looked bad. Bad entry passes from LaVine are to be expected. Rubio was doinking poo poo passes. On a layup in the first half he had a clear lane to the basket and at the last second decided to switch hands for no reason. Wiggins didn't look comfortable. No one was making shots. Saw a stat where it was something like Minnesota has shot 11 three point shots in the past 7 quarters. That's freakishly low and not really acceptable. If this team is having a bad shooting night, and this was truly a poo poo show, it shows how vulnerable they are without someone out there simply busting rear end. Payne did a bit. But next year you want to see Wiggins simply taking charge. he was far too passive.

Interior defense was a complete no show. Jordan went inside and dunked whenever he pleased.

The Wolves live and die by Kevin Martin right now. When he's on and scoring, the rest of the offense clicks into place. When not, it's too easy to over-hedge on Wiggins and just live with Pek post-ups, because who else is going to score?

I think they are giving Rubio a big fat green light to shoot long-2s right now because they don't really care if they win games. That "come off the screen and shoot a moving jumper at the elbow" is used like twice a loving quarter and I think I've seen Ricky hit that shot once.

They'll need a scorer to replace Martin ASAP. Defense is a loving tire fire, unless Dieng takes another step up it'll keep being bad until they replace Pek or just decide they are going to the old-GSW route and try and score over their bad defense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Larry Nance's two ball dunk from the first contest would be a 50 pointer today

Nique would be bounced in the first round

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mornacale posted:

Doc is such a monumental shitbird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Rocket
Apr 25, 2003
lmao Clippers looking for new ways to get people to dislike them

• Locked thread