Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Good government starts now.

Why the gently caress do they keep announcing things only to immediately backpedal? Like, I can buy the idea that they're being forced to backpedal on some of these issues under the weight of basic and obvious scrutiny but why hasn't Credlin or anyone made an effort to have them work through this poo poo in private and then have individual ministers announce things only when they know what the hell they're selling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why the gently caress do they keep announcing things only to immediately backpedal? Like, I can buy the idea that they're being forced to backpedal on some of these issues under the weight of basic and obvious scrutiny but why hasn't Credlin or anyone made an effort to have them work through this poo poo in private and then have individual ministers announce things only when they know what the hell they're selling?

theyre idiots

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Kommando posted:

MARCH BRISGOON AUSPOL MEET

Where are we eating, when are we eating?

Do we want to return to Sukachi now its reopened and spend $400 on chicken and beer, or go to Mu'ooz like we keep intending to, or shall we pick a new indian place?

Cartoon wants to come and meet early april so im fine with any time/place

That's Anidav? It all makes sense now.

Earlier this week someone asked if we'd actually stopped the boats or if there was proof they were still coming. Here's your answer:

"smh posted:

A small fleet of brightly coloured Vietnamese fishing boats based in Darwin are believed to be replacing the orange lifeboats used by the Customs and Border Protection department to tow back asylum seeker boats that make it to Australian waters.

Fairfax Media understands that 10 red, blue and green wooden boats have been bought by the Customs department from Dragon Industries Asia as "tow back" boats in a multi-million dollar project.

Having succeeded in "stopping the boats", it appears the Abbott government has opted for a cheaper alternative to the orange lifeboats, which cost the government $7.5 million last year.

It is believed each orange lifeboat, which can only be used once, costs about $200,000.

On the Dragon Industries Asia website it confirms that the Customs and Border Protection Department is a client and that it has has tasked the company to deliver 10 "alternative vessels" from "preliminary design".

S/E Asia manager, Marc Brujins, moving 5 specialized transportation craft to a heavy lift vessel for final delivery! pic.twitter.com/njL7D3WKmu — Dragon Ind. Asia (@Dragon_Ind_Asia) October 3, 2014
On its online company profile it says: "Recent projects include: Australian Customs and Border Protection 10 x Alternative transportation vessels Supply, project management and delivery."

"This project was delivered to exceptionally tight deadlines, with final delivery of all vessels within 18 weeks of project inauguration," it says.

"Upon completion of the vessels Dragon was given a repeat order to be delivered by the end of the last quarter in 2014, further enhancing Dragon's ability to service it's [sic] clients quality, delivery and management needs."

In a company tweet, it shows one of the managers Marc Brujins sitting on a tugboat, with the caption, "moving 5 specialized transportation craft to a heavy lift vessel for final delivery!"

The boats are now being stored at Spot on Marine in Darwin. A spokeswoman of the firm told Fairfax Media to contact the Customs department for any further information.

When Dragon Industries Asia was contacted on separate days by Fairfax Media, a spokesman said that the company was actually a software company. Then on a separate call, the spokesman refused to hand over the details of the managing director Tim Clements.

In a Facebook message, the company replied to Fairfax Media inquiries saying: "Please be advised that any information in relation to Operation Sovereign Borders must be obtained from the Australian Government.

The immigration department also did not deny the boats had been procured, refusing to answer questions on why the boats had been brought or for what purpose.

A spokesman said: "Customs and Border Protection uses a variety of vessels to prepare for and perform its maritime tasks."

We spent 7.5 million on orange life boats last year, each one costs 200,000. That's 37.5 boats last year, roughly. So no, we haven't stopped the boats. The fact the government is seeking cheaper alternatives, and thus more dangerous alternatives, would indicate the boats continue to come.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Policy on the run, group think, poo poo talent.

Take your pick to be honest.

Team Abbott have had some of the most shitful policy thought bubbles ever farted out.

It's no surprise they can back pedal fast as they were never thought through to begin with from both a policy and political perspective.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Kommando posted:

Paging CraziTolradi. Also pictured, Anidav, Shadeoses, Bifauxnen, Urcher, and less frequent posters.

class warfare

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Konomex posted:

We spent 7.5 million on orange life boats last year, each one costs 200,000. That's 37.5 boats last year, roughly. So no, we haven't stopped the boats. The fact the government is seeking cheaper alternatives, and thus more dangerous alternatives, would indicate the boats continue to come.
The boats were stopped and then the passengers and crew were sent back.

That would count as a boat being stopped.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Graic Gabtar posted:

kill urself! die!!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

markgreyam posted:

class warfare

who?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

cpaf posted:

I am so, so sorry CraziTolradi

He is a very beautiful person :colbert: he just doesn't know how to smile.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Graic Gabtar posted:

Does the the new boat not negate the boat that was stopped?
or do we need a concurrent 'boats started' tally?

Can't we make the start boats in SA?
Can we then stop the start boats, doubling the number of boats stopped?

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 10, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

How does that count as being stopped for the purposes of preventing deaths at sea? They still went to sea in an unsafe boat to seek asylum in Australia. Ergo, boats not stopped.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

kill urself! die!!

genuinely snorted out loud when I read this.

In other news is there any chance of scheduling the next Brisbane Goonmeet on a weekday night? I work Friday-Sunday nights usually and if I have it off I usually don't feel like going out anyway, but I'd love to come get food poisoning and make awkward jokes about stairs with you guys. If we're accommodating Cartoon and its on a weekend don't gently caress with that on my account, but just putting it out there now I've been posting long enough to feel comfortable meeting some of you in a public place, especially now that I've seen you all and know that I will be the most handsome and worst dressed person in the room

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Graic Gabtar posted:

I thought that the point of stopping them wasn't to keep refugees out of Australia, but to make sure that they weren't risking their lives and drowning at sea because we care so much.

Oh wait, it's ratbag ciarg.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

Orkin Mang posted:

kill urself! die!!

No no, GG is correct, this is an argument of definitions.

The majority here, and I dare say the chief humanitarian angle is to remove the need to put a boat to sea as "Stopped", if we had better communication and an established refugee procedure to resettle asylum seekers then the risk of life lost in leaky boats between indonesia and the Kimberly is diminished. However as long as there is injustice and violence in this world and Australia does not (generally) then boats will keep coming. Its pretty much impossible to stop.

The opposition, current implementation and three word slogan of the last election appears to be framed in an interception angle meaning "Stopped". A treating the symptoms approach rather than a cure. This includes information of the task.
I was aware of this but didnt really grasp that we're from different approaches until you said it just now. It makes sense now.

So the LNP checked off "Stopped the boats" by intercepting the ones the navy could, and blocking information about the whole lot, and stuff those that dont agree with their definition.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 10, 2015

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

MC Eating Disorder posted:

genuinely snorted out loud when I read this.

In other news is there any chance of scheduling the next Brisbane Goonmeet on a weekday night? I work Friday-Sunday nights usually and if I have it off I usually don't feel like going out anyway, but I'd love to come get food poisoning and make awkward jokes about stairs with you guys. If we're accommodating Cartoon and its on a weekend don't gently caress with that on my account, but just putting it out there now I've been posting long enough to feel comfortable meeting some of you in a public place, especially now that I've seen you all and know that I will be the most handsome and worst dressed person in the room

For the last 6 months the brisbane goonmeets have been on a weeknight. Its been easier for all.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

He is a very beautiful person :colbert: he just doesn't know how to smile.

:stwoon::3:

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure there was one on sunday recently that I almost wound up going to but I was broke and didn't feel comfortable begging for someone to buy me a beer when Anidav obviously already has that racket sewn up

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A few days ago, but,

quote:

Asked again whether he accepted the UN’s findings about Manus Island, Abbott said the conditions were “reasonable under all the circumstances” and “all of the basic needs of the people on Manus Island are being met”.

“Everyone’s needs for food, for clothing, for shelter, for safety are being more than met, thanks to the good work of the PNG government, the Australian government and the people who are running the centre,” he said.
Abbott sounds british as poo poo here. 4 toilets for 400 people is meeting basic needs. Not for you or me or for tony or any other australian but it's fine for them, they're used to it. As for safety well, I feel safe, don't you?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm sure there was one on sunday recently that I almost wound up going to but I was broke and didn't feel comfortable begging for someone to buy me a beer when Anidav obviously already has that racket sewn up

We're always able to buy you a beer or a naan. Fair go mate.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

cpaf posted:

I am so, so sorry CraziTolradi

I"m a loving horrible person and you know it.

I've actually lost a bit of weight since that photo too so I don't look as much like a redneck north QLD MP.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

the posters and the post-nots

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Who are the people who don't post but turn up to goon meets? Who are these people?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

thatfatkid posted:

Sorry i don't bemoan the fact that I live in a country that is stable, holds regular and fair elections, has strong trade unions, workers rights, decent healthcare, public education etc etc.

"Australia is grouse" - a middle class white bloke

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Drugs posted:

Who are the people who don't post but turn up to goon meets? Who are these people?

I have no idea why people are reluctant to post, unless you're Graic Gabtar and even then he seems to have no trouble.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Lurkers like Captain Red.

Drink up Captain.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kommando posted:

We're always able to buy you a beer or a naan. Fair go mate.

I'm really uncomfortable asking people I've never met before to buy me a beer but now that you've offered I'll make sure to bee-line my way to you and suggest we do shots of whisky first thing when I arrive

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

markgreyam posted:

the posters and the post-nots

Seize the means of poo poo posting, goonrade.

:justpost:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kommando posted:

Lurkers like Captain Red.

Drink up Captain.

Hey, I remember him.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm really uncomfortable asking people I've never met before to buy me a beer but now that you've offered I'll make sure to bee-line my way to you and suggest we do shots of whisky first thing when I arrive

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

katlington posted:

A few days ago, but,

Abbott sounds british as poo poo here. 4 toilets for 400 people is meeting basic needs. Not for you or me or for tony or any other australian but it's fine for them, they're used to it. As for safety well, I feel safe, don't you?

IDGI, can't they just dig their own grid?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We will decide who shits in this country and the circumstances in which they poo poo.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

IDGI, can't they just dig their own grid?

Not enough grid paper.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Drugs posted:

My hubby also tends to comes along (he got left out of the photo for some reason I can't remember). He doesn't have an account, and I haven't encouraged him to get one since he already spends way too much time arguing with people on different parts of the internet, so I think it's good for us to diversify our forum portfolio. :v:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

My hubby also tends to comes along (he got left out of the photo for some reason I can't remember). He doesn't have an account, and I haven't encouraged him to get one since he already spends way too much time arguing with people on different parts of the internet, so I think it's good for us to diversify our forum portfolio. :v:

No Invest it all in Auspolcoin, it can only go up uP UP!

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Where are the facial tattoos?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
under the neckbeard

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Tony Abbott backs closure of remote Indigenous communities, says living in them a 'lifestyle choice'

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has backed a WA Government proposal to close a number of remote Indigenous communities, saying it is not the taxpayer's job to subsidise people's "lifestyle choices".

The WA Government flagged the closure of up to 150 of the state's remote Aboriginal communities after the Federal Government, which funded about two-thirds of the state's remote Indigenous settlements, announced in September it was transitioning that responsibility to the states over the next two years.

Speaking in Kalgoorlie, Mr Abbott said it was up to the state to decide what services it would deliver and where.

He said the decision to close communities was not unreasonable if the cost of providing services, where there are no schools or jobs, was excessive.

"What we can't do is endlessly subsidise lifestyle choices if those lifestyle choices are not conducive to the kind of full participation in Australian society that everyone should have," he said.

"In order to get kids to school and adults to work, you've got to have a school.

"If people choose to live miles away from where there's a school, if people choose not to access the school of the air, if people choose to live where there's no jobs, obviously it's very, very difficult to close the gap.

"It is not unreasonable for the State Government to say if the cost of providing services in a particular remote location is out of all proportion to the benefits being delivered, fine by all means live in a remote location, but there's a limit to what you can expect the state to do for you if you want to live there."

The Kalgoorlie-Boulder Chamber of Commerce and Industry's Hugh Gallagher said the Prime Minister should be concerned about the profound impact it would have on Aboriginal culture and the business community.

"He needs to certainly be aware of it and that's actually an issue of business significance and community significance," he said.

I would ask him where that fits within the Government's policy on closing the gap?
Hugh Gallagher, Kalgoorlie-Boulder CCI
"It has the potential to change the complexion of this city in particular over the next decade.

"I would ask him where that fits within the Government's policy on closing the gap? Because it is just so important that regional culture is retained and sadly it begins to shrink when it's in capital cities."

Laverton Shire president Patrick Hill said there was too much uncertainty at the moment and people were extremely worried.

Mr Hill said he had not been told if the three Aboriginal communities surrounding his shire would be closed or where those people would be housed within the small northern Goldfields town.

"In Laverton we've got three communities - the Mulga Queen, Cosmo Newberry and Mount Margaret and we haven't heard if any of those will be closing yet," he said.

"The biggest thing we're concerned about is closing down these communities and moving the residents into the regional centres like Laverton, Leonora or Kalgoorlie-Boulder without housing.

"Where do these people get moved to after the communities close and what happens to them? What resources are going to be provided to them to move?

"We don't want them all camping out underneath the trees around the town, they are going to need housing and that's our concern.

"We don't want people moved out of the areas that they've come from."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-10/pm-backs-decision-to-close-wa-indigenous-communities/6295296

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Drugs posted:

"Australia is grouse" - a middle class white bloke

Are public education and universal healthcare somehow exclusive of the lower class?

Is violent crime rampant in Australia?

Is there a very real chance that you will be shot on any given day that you leave your house?

Do you have running water and electricity?

Australia is a pretty loving good country to live in, if you think otherwise go and visit South Africa.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
my neckbeard is a lifestyle choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Australia's a pretty good place to live in because its not a war torn country with milita gunning down people in the street but its also pretty hosed that we lock people up in indefinite detention if they live in a country where that happens and they just happen to come here on a boat and I can hold these two thoughts in my head together at the same time because I don't run every single thing people on the internet post through some kind of IF x THEN y boolean filter, seeing as human communication doesn't strictly follow the laws of computer logic

• Locked thread