Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Oh gently caress me, I thought this was the joke. Didn't even realize the math was bad. I am the target audience of Fox News.

They also give the source for the figures as being their opinions. They literally say that they just made them up on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Lone Badger posted:

They also give the source for the figures as being their opinions. They literally say that they just made them up on the spot.

It says "Opinions Dynamic" and it's a polling company. "Results from Fox News polls before February 2011 were conducted by Opinion Dynamics Corp"

cat_snake
Nov 19, 2014

Sheriff: Oregon home reported as ‘stolen’ is found

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I don't think that Fox News pie chart is bad because of the math, but because they used a pie chart. Those are the percentages of people who would support those candidates, but many would support the others too. It would be better as a bar graph.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

If this is photoshop it doesnt belong here

if it is, how, what?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Master Twig posted:

I don't think that Fox News pie chart is bad because of the math, but because they used a pie chart. Those are the percentages of people who would support those candidates, but many would support the others too. It would be better as a bar graph.
Yeah. It's not tremendously wrong, it's just a bad way to present that data. It also looks funny.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Daily Mail is less than reputable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

RatHat posted:

That is quite relaxing to listen to actually, and I figured the Daily Mail is mostly horseshit, but interestingly titled horseshit nonetheless.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

It's pretty big business down here for witchdoctors to "bring back lost lovers" and "punish cheaters" - sources.

A local tabloid ran the same story with the headline "FREE MY PUNANI".

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

Mail Online is apparently the most popular new website in America. I can't believe it either.

I imagine it's because of all the celebrity photos they get.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Mail Online is apparently the most popular new website in America. I can't believe it either.

I assume it's because no one's heard of the NT News.

Historic piece of furniture used by world’s first dick joke correspondent for sale.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Wheat Loaf posted:

Mail Online know exactly what their market is and hit it square on the head every time. 40% clickbait outrage for the mums and grannies, 10% 'UK on its last legs' for all the expats congratulating themselves on getting out in time and 50% naked celebrities for everyone else to leer at/publicly shame.

The hard copy isn't that different really, just less naked celebrities and more immigrants, but MO takes it to a fine art.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Great, now I've got that song stuck in my head.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd guess most Americans aren't really familiar with the Mail's reputation, to be honest. Not that ignorance excuses anything...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

darkwasthenight posted:

Mail Online know exactly what their market is and hit it square on the head every time. 40% clickbait outrage for the mums and grannies, 10% 'UK on its last legs' for all the expats congratulating themselves on getting out in time and 50% naked celebrities for everyone else to leer at/publicly shame.

The hard copy isn't that different really, just less naked celebrities and more immigrants, but MO takes it to a fine art.

It is ultimately a populist paper geared toward the English middle class; there's a right-wing tinge at least on most of its reporting but it will diverge from its usual line if it thinks its core audience would approve. For instance, when tuition fees were unpopular with the English middle class, they were willing to criticise the government over them (I was in my first year of university at the time, and even five years later I can still remember the Mail's first headline on the protests in London, which declared "A VERY MIDDLE CLASS PROTEST" and stood out alongside the rather less than charitable stance taken by the Express, though when allegations emerged that a protestor may have defaced the Cenotaph they changed their tune a bit). A little bit before that, they criticised bankers and called for increased bank regulation, neither of which are especially Thatcherite policies, but were nonetheless popular with their target audience.

I think they've shifted further to the right since "Red Ed" (seriously, you'd think he was Literally Lenin rather than a vaguely left-of-centre social democrat, wouldn't you?) became Labour leader, but my impression is that most of their really big embarrassments these days seem to crop up whenever the editor (Dacre) digs his heels in over an issue that he's turned into a kind of personal crusade, an obvious example being "Ralph Miliband Hated Britain" from last year (which I'm given to understand a lot of rank-and-file Mail journalists didn't like, but couldn't really do anything about because it was essentially Dacre's pet project).

Whatever. I only read the Times and the Belfast Telegraph myself.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Mar 6, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Man burned by fajitas while praying can't sue Applebee's

If only it said "Man burned by Applebee's twice" it would be perfect.
:911:

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Man Cooking Up Ramen In A Speedo Accidentally Shoots Himself In The Nuts With 20 Bottle Rockets

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

There is no possible way this isn't some sort of deliberate self-flagellation Masochism gone wrong. I wonder if he killed himself would it have been considered a case of Fan Death.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

"He had this one ho, she was pulling guns out of her pussy. poo poo was unseemly."

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

This is Cormac McCarthy's ex wife lmfao.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

This is Cormac McCarthy's ex wife lmfao.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llIcg4CK86M

Cacafuego has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Mar 10, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That's a cool show but I really wasn't joking lol. That's for real his ex wife.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Frostwerks posted:

That's a cool show but I really wasn't joking lol. That's for real his ex wife.

This explains so much :stare:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Crazy women are great in the sack?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
"Don't mess with our butthole, say residents."

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I imagine the bottom headline continues "...after Toronto Police said that Obama was a time-traveling Terminator"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

There is no possible way this isn't some sort of deliberate self-flagellation Masochism gone wrong. I wonder if he killed himself would it have been considered a case of Fan Death.

I think the term is called death by misadventure.

Nastyman posted:

Great, now I've got that song stuck in my head.

What song?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

"It's obviously because of intrusive and bureaucratic EU regulations," said the UKIP leader, Nigel Farage, "Forcing a whole town of hard-working British people to share one butthole between them, while illegal immigrants are virtually showered with buttholes as soon as they enter the country."

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

"It's obviously because of intrusive and bureaucratic EU regulations," said the UKIP leader, Nigel Farage, "Forcing a whole town of hard-working British people to share one butthole between them, while illegal immigrants are virtually showered with buttholes as soon as they enter the country."

He actually said basically this when asked about it, you know. dipshittery here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. I lost interest in politics last year when NI21 imploded so I haven't been keeping track.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Anatharon posted:

I think the term is called death by misadventure.

What song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFY5jBeQvSo

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

(It's for a homeless shelter unfortunately named the Glory Hole Shelter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Burglary ring indeed