Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SynthOrange posted:

Idk those Hitler, Pol Pot and Stalin guys did pretty well

yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

Gotta be honest, man. If you try to rate a country on the landscape's merits, with no relation whatsoever to the people living in it, Australia would probably come out as a poo poo country.

I dunno, I think a lot of remote parts of australia are incredibly beautiful and full of cool weird animals that have bizzare evolutionary niches and that's pretty awesome, its only when you start looking at the landscape as a place for people to live that I start to think "what the gently caress is up with this awful, awful continent"

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

thatfatkid posted:

Please don't make personal assumptions about me based on the fact that i don't think that Australia is a poo poo country. I will continue to think so until Australia has an AIDS pandemic, girls are shot in the head for going to school, opposition political parties are banned etc.

Also gently caress you and die.

It's not that Australia is a poo poo country, relative to the rest of the world, regardless of the hyperbole thrown about. It's that we can, and should, be much better in many ways. Especially, but not limited too:

- Treatment of Refugees
- Rights and treatment of the people who occupied and held this land before England moved in and took it
- Management of our international obligations for big messes we helped cause (climate change, middle east fun zone)
- Management of wage distributions and keeping things fair across the board

This is a good country to live in, especially is you're white and middle/upper class. If you are you face many opportunities and few systematic setbacks. It's not so good, but close, if you're a white middle/upper woman. If you're not white it gets worse. If you're poor, it's worse. etc etc

We can sit in the comfort zone and go 'Hey, looks ace from here, stop whining' but it's selfish and short-sighted. Given our wealth and relatively small population, we should surely be doing a lot more to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

That's what is being seen as 'poo poo'; the blind selfishness and willing ignorance of the plight of anyone not happy. Much of the angst is that this looks so much more common than it did, and a few of the big reforms that should have gone to closing this gap are being dropped. In the case of refugees, we're actively making their lives worse at our own expense. It's stupid from all angles, and I think rightly rage inducing.

If we only measure ourselves by pointing to the bottom and saying 'look how big we are' we'll never improve, and we will wind up poo poo for more and more people in society. It has happened throughout history and we should be smart enough to stop it happening to us.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I dunno, I think a lot of remote parts of australia are incredibly beautiful and full of cool weird animals that have bizzare evolutionary niches and that's pretty awesome, its only when you start looking at the landscape as a place for people to live that I start to think "what the gently caress is up with this awful, awful continent"

The parts with a temperate or Mediterranean climate where everybody lives are largely habitable. Few things seem worse than living in the tropics or desert though

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

shouting and throwing tantrums instead of actually attempting to persuade. nobody will ever be moved from an opinion through brute force. sticking by your guns but at least trying to show some understanding for people who disagree with you will have them respect you, and once they respect you they'll start listening. calling them evil and bad people rarely achieves anything but greater recalcitrance.
Like, on these forums or in australian politics? I don't know what you're referring to. Unless you mean dog pulling some retard which is embarrassing but there was never any possibility for real discussion there.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Sanguine posted:

It's not that Australia is a poo poo country, relative to the rest of the world, regardless of the hyperbole thrown about. It's that we can, and should, be much better in many ways. Especially, but not limited too:

- Treatment of Refugees
- Rights and treatment of the people who occupied and held this land before England moved in and took it
- Management of our international obligations for big messes we helped cause (climate change, middle east fun zone)
- Management of wage distributions and keeping things fair across the board

This is a good country to live in, especially is you're white and middle/upper class. If you are you face many opportunities and few systematic setbacks. It's not so good, but close, if you're a white middle/upper woman. If you're not white it gets worse. If you're poor, it's worse. etc etc

We can sit in the comfort zone and go 'Hey, looks ace from here, stop whining' but it's selfish and short-sighted. Given our wealth and relatively small population, we should surely be doing a lot more to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

That's what is being seen as 'poo poo'; the blind selfishness and willing ignorance of the plight of anyone not happy. Much of the angst is that this looks so much more common than it did, and a few of the big reforms that should have gone to closing this gap are being dropped. In the case of refugees, we're actively making their lives worse at our own expense. It's stupid from all angles, and I think rightly rage inducing.

If we only measure ourselves by pointing to the bottom and saying 'look how big we are' we'll never improve, and we will wind up poo poo for more and more people in society. It has happened throughout history and we should be smart enough to stop it happening to us.

Won't these loopy leftists EVER be happy?? :rolleyes:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Wouldn't that be an nice gesture to Tony Abbott.

Killing two of his citizens in exchange for handing him an election win.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Just looking to bone up on my economic knowledge during bus rides

ModernMoneyNetwork channel on youtube, personheim

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

On the topic of goonmeets, I'm gonna be back in Melbourne from March 25th to April 6th, so if one were to to happen within that geographical and temporal window, that'd be tops. (Easter weekend is probably out though.)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

katlington posted:

Like, on these forums or in australian politics? I don't know what you're referring to. Unless you mean dog pulling some retard which is embarrassing but there was never any possibility for real discussion there.

here.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

On the topic of goonmeets, I'm gonna be back in Melbourne from March 25th to April 6th, so if one were to to happen within that geographical and temporal window, that'd be tops. (Easter weekend is probably out though.)
To continue the meeting goons trend, I plan to be in Sydney from March 27th to 30th to help out with the NSW State Election.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Cool

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Abbott.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

I'm against it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I'm here... but my parents are also visiting in that timeframe. :v:

MEANWHILE IN INTERNATIONAL DIPLOMACY:

quote:

Indonesia could release 10,000 asylum seekers to Australia if Canberra continues to antagonise the republic over the execution of the Bali nine duo, an Indonesian minister has warned.

"If Canberra keeps doing things that displease Indonesia, Jakarta will surely let the illegal immigrants go to Australia. "
This would create a "human tsunami", according to the Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs, Tedjo Edhy Purdijatno.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/bali...310-140dhn.html

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Mods????

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Inline :nws: imo

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

SynthOrange posted:

MEANWHILE IN INTERNATIONAL DIPLOMACY:
Two Governments gifting each other some wonderful nationalistic fodder for domestic consumption.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
FWIW any ASIO employees reading this should probably be aware that you're a poo poo person who directly enables the terrible crimes that australia commits. you're not just "doing your job". you picked it, you stuck with it as it turned out to be spying on (thus enabling worse, illegal harassment of) people trying to make the world a better place, and every day you wake up and decide that you'd rather be a part of the problem. every day you decide that your current short-term comfort is more important than doing the right thing, you're following in the footsteps of every criminal that ever lived. quit your loving job, it's not as hard as you think if you have a single ounce of morality left in you

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 10, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does funnelling money towards buying people terrible avatars count as 'funding terrorism'?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hello asio, i love ariel sharon

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

FWIW any ASIO employees reading this should probably be aware that you're a poo poo person who directly enables the terrible crimes that australia commits. you're not just "doing your job". you picked it, you stuck with it as it turned out to be spying on (thus enabling worse, illegal harassment of) people trying to make the world a better place, and every day you wake up and decide that you'd rather be a part of the problem. every day you decide that your current short-term comfort is more important than doing the right thing, you're following in the footsteps of every criminal that ever lived. quit your loving job, it's not as hard as you think if you have a single ounce of morality left in you

an asio employee would skim this this and move on

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
MYLP

:psyduck:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
ASIO more like gaysio lmaooooo

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ASIO closed it's file on Auspol ages ago, it reads : harmless, can easily be distracted from organising by presenting bad faith arguments. future strategy : trolling - B class.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Look at this leaner trying to lecture the noble defenders of this great Commonwealth who embody the Anzac (*crosses self*) spirit on morals and ethics

If you've never been in the difficult position of weighing up the ability of impoverished East Timor to sustain itself against the profit lines of multinational oil and gas companies then you're in no position to talk poo poo mate

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

actually the file is empty except for that single goonmeet photo and a crushed dried-out dog turd that the case handler found when he was using his asio powers to stalk and harass his now-married ex-girlfriend

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Look at this leaner trying to lecture the noble defenders of this great Commonwealth who embody the Anzac (*crosses self*) spirit on morals and ethics

If you've never been in the difficult position of weighing up the ability of impoverished East Timor to sustain itself against the profit lines of multinational oil and gas companies then you're in no position to talk poo poo mate

i think you're discounting several decades' experience of doing nothing BUT talking poo poo

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

actually the file is empty except for that single goonmeet photo and a crushed dried-out dog turd that the case handler found when he was using his asio powers to stalk and harass his now-married ex-girlfriend

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I would be completely unmoved by that as I added your IP to our watch list.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Gotta be honest, man. If you try to rate a country on the landscape's merits, with no relation whatsoever to the people living in it, Australia would probably come out as a poo poo country.

Admittedly the 'hosed by global warming' thing is our fault, and that's a big part of it, but our land isn't exactly abound in nature's gifts in any categories that aren't 'pain and death'.

Gotta second this. Recently went to NZ for the first time and was amazed by the landscape, even though they are suffering major drought as well. I did a nerdy LOTR tour to the land of the Rohan and there was virtually no evidence of the village they built for the shoot (there's a single pin left on a rock which they couldn't remove despite best efforts). The few gifts we do have are slowly but surely being degraded by the mining industry. Seriously, of all places to dump poo poo, why pick the GBR?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

i think you're discounting several decades' experience of doing nothing BUT talking poo poo

Have you ever thought for one second about being a team player? Thought not you loving ingrate

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VHKpGJX29s

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Joe Hockey uses time in lieu to fight Fairfax Media in court

quote:

The treasurer is having a “lieu day” while fighting a defamation case in a Sydney court, the prime minister, Tony Abbott, has said.

Joe Hockey is suing Fairfax Media for defamation for publishing articles that he said implies he is corrupt and accepts bribes.

The trial is in its second day; Hockey gave evidence on Monday and Tuesday.

Abbott was asked during a press conference in Kalgoorlie on Tuesday if this was the best use of time for the treasurer, whose salary is funded by the taxpayer.

The prime minister lashed out at the suggestion that the trial was a waste of taxpayers’ money.

“I think anyone who knows the treasurer knows that he was working all weekend so I suppose maybe he is having a bit of time in lieu today,” Abbott said.

“Every member of this government works incredibly hard and I think it’s pretty unreasonable, if I may say so, for people to start bandying around that kind of question.”

The original articles published in Fairfax outlets in May last year allege that a fundraising group, the North Sydney Forum, charged an annual fee of $22,000 in exchange for access to Hockey.

Lawyers for the treasurer said the headline “Treasurer for sale” brought Hockey’s reputation into disrepute, and are seeking an undisclosed amount of money in damages.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm been reading up on the recent polls and I now firmly believe that the current spike in Coalition support is in anticipation for Turnbull PM.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anidav posted:

I'm been reading up on the recent polls and I now firmly believe that the current spike in Coalition support is in anticipation for Turnbull PM.

agreed.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Avshalom posted:

hello asio, i love ariel sharon

What do you think ol' Shazza would think of this?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyTolradi posted:

What do you think ol' Shazza would think of this?

nice

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The spike was only really noticeable in one poll (the Fairfax / Ipsos one); Newspoll and Essential had a slight increase for the Coalition which disappeared. I think the Ipsos poll was rogue and the rest has been statistical noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Anidav posted:

I wonder if the polls spiking in the Libs favour will discourage another leadership spill, at least in the short term.

• Locked thread