Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Slime posted:

Brb, writing Assassin's Creed/Shin Megami Tensei crossover fanfiction.

Please have Ezio summon Satan to bring freedom to Italy/Tokyo.

All chaos all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrJacobs posted:

When did the Assassin's in 4 kill people for money as opposed to their own little war?

The usual "go kill this motherfucker" sidequests at the pigeon roosts.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

littleorv posted:

Please have Ezio summon Satan to bring freedom to Italy/Tokyo.

All chaos all the time

Satan is Law.
You want Lucifer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Luisfe posted:

Satan is Law.
You want Lucifer.

I'm not sure most people are that read on the finer points of Judeo-Christian myth as it applies to who is currently killing you with Megidolaon for responding to a nerd's quandry in a specific way.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
A few of the collectible paintings in Dishonored vary depending on what happens in game. You can steal a cider in the tutorial area where Sokolov is painting and it disappears from the painting later on. Whichever Boyle the RNG picks changes the color of the Boyle's dress in the painting.

Also, the heart houses the spirit of the dead empress. It's subtle and the only giveaway is if you use it on Daud.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really a case of swapping back so much as both sides have dicks.

Because it would have been too expensive to animate female character models.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I liked the AC series better before every game was "this dude's ancestors all collectively knew every famous person in history". Like, throw in a cameo to make it unexpected and interesting, sure. Have someone pull a high-profile politician's strings behind the scenes using a proxy, great. Instead it's turned into George Washington fanfiction, and witnessing the death of every famous pirate in the Golden Age. It was easier to deal with when it was stuff like Leonardo da Vinci just being your weapon upgrade guy.

To be on topic: There's a Skyrim mod called Helgen Reborn that's known for its quality voice acting and is considered one of the better quest mods. One thing I especially enjoyed about it though is that after reuniting two long lost war buddies, they give you the next step of the quest and dismiss you. After that, they go downstairs and have an entire conversation without you to catch up on old times. It's easily a couple pages of dialogue at least. Even the main game rarely does stuff like that.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Hobo By Design posted:

A few of the collectible paintings in Dishonored vary depending on what happens in game. You can steal a cider in the tutorial area where Sokolov is painting and it disappears from the painting later on. Whichever Boyle the RNG picks changes the color of the Boyle's dress in the painting.

Also, the heart houses the spirit of the dead empress. It's subtle and the only giveaway is if you use it on Daud.

Not just her spirit, the heart is her actual heart, modified by Piero (the upgrade guy) under the influence of the Outsider.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's old these days but in Rocket: Robot on Wheels on the N64 there was a volcano level and you got a motorcycle that allowed you to pop glider wings out. It was real fun flying recklessly because the motorcycle was cool on its own even without gliding.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

sticklefifer posted:

There's a Skyrim mod called Helgen Reborn that's known for its quality voice acting and is considered one of the better quest mods. One thing I especially enjoyed about it though is that after reuniting two long lost war buddies, they give you the next step of the quest and dismiss you. After that, they go downstairs and have an entire conversation without you to catch up on old times. It's easily a couple pages of dialogue at least. Even the main game rarely does stuff like that.

Another good Skyrim mod that fixes the game is one called Immersive NPC's. It's a huge mod that clocked in at about 4GB last time I used it, but it adds hundreds of new NPC's to the world all with their own unique dialogue and voice actors for each NPC. And If they do repeat voice actors, they do a drat good job of sounding different. And you can talk to these guys for hours.

I ran into one on a new game in the tavern of the first town you go to and spent like an hour discussing his past with him. Then he offered to follow me as a companion. He was the first follower I had that I really gave a poo poo about since the creators actually took the time to flesh out his backstory and give you the ability to have a real conversation with him. And there's hundreds of these NPC's scattered all over Skyrim.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Esroc posted:

Another good Skyrim mod that fixes the game is one called Immersive NPC's. It's a huge mod that clocked in at about 4GB last time I used it, but it adds hundreds of new NPC's to the world all with their own unique dialogue and voice actors for each NPC. And If they do repeat voice actors, they do a drat good job of sounding different. And you can talk to these guys for hours.

I ran into one on a new game in the tavern of the first town you go to and spent like an hour discussing his past with him. Then he offered to follow me as a companion. He was the first follower I had that I really gave a poo poo about since the creators actually took the time to flesh out his backstory and give you the ability to have a real conversation with him. And there's hundreds of these NPC's scattered all over Skyrim.

But the combat system is still uninspired and flaccid.

Skyrim has great opportunities for roleplaying, but actually playing the game is a chore most of the time.

More Skyrim stuff: there are bards that song various songs in the inns you visit. After you've done the main quest, the bards will sing a new song that's about you.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

sticklefifer posted:

I liked the AC series better before every game was "this dude's ancestors all collectively knew every famous person in history". Like, throw in a cameo to make it unexpected and interesting, sure. Have someone pull a high-profile politician's strings behind the scenes using a proxy, great. Instead it's turned into George Washington fanfiction, and witnessing the death of every famous pirate in the Golden Age. It was easier to deal with when it was stuff like Leonardo da Vinci just being your weapon upgrade guy.

Hmm, considering that Ezio was nearly offed by Niccolo Machiavelli, punched out Rodrigo Borgia, killed several de Pazzis and knocked around with Caterina Sforza in the same game, I'd say this has always been a staple of the series. Connor does go a bit Forrest Gump but it's always been quite strong.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

amityville anus posted:

It's old these days but in Rocket: Robot on Wheels on the N64 there was a volcano level and you got a motorcycle that allowed you to pop glider wings out. It was real fun flying recklessly because the motorcycle was cool on its own even without gliding.

The star of that game was the physics engine, which made all the vehicles so drat fun. The Glide Bike was by far the best one but I remember spending hours with my friend just farting around each level on it's designated vehicle...that and the roller coaster maker on the first stage.

The game also had a soundtrack that was simultaneously cheesy and funky a la Space Station Silicon Valley. I always loved the bass line in the Arabian Flights stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEIMsGHvj68

EDIT: That video was poo poo quality, this one's better

timp has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Mar 10, 2015

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Goddamnit people all I wanted was a pedantic derail about how lenin Actually Wasnt That Bad and you guys took it at face loving level because you know nothing about anything other than video games.

I dont give a fck about rear end creed i want to talk about dark souls 1, the best game in the souls series.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's cause everyone knows that Lenin was a Good Guy? Don't see what that has to do with video games.

I rather like that in infinity engine RPGs your characters talk poo poo if you keep clicking on them.

Edit: Falls-From-Grace has a bunch of these for equipping her with stuff.

TexMexFoodbaby has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Mar 10, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah if you want to start a hilarious argument about a big communist figure Lenin is easily the least offensive. Go over to the UK megathread and rile up some Trots or something.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Goddamnit people all I wanted was a pedantic derail about how lenin Actually Wasnt That Bad and you guys took it at face loving level because you know nothing about anything other than video games.

I dont give a fck about rear end creed i want to talk about dark souls 1, the best game in the souls series.

:raise:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I picked up Crusader Kings 2 again, and have been playing through with some of the newer expansions, and I've been sucked back in big time. I know it's not exactly a little thing, but the sheer amount of information in this game is awesome. In the Charlemagne expansion, you start in 769, and most of Europe east of France or so is made up of disjointed Pagan groups. Playing as one of them is difficult, as you're more or less doomed to go down in flames, and most people probably won't play as say, an ancient Slav. But there's still just as much religious and lifestyle content for them as there is for Christian and Muslim rulers. I just really love the amount of research that goes into everything about this drat game. I'm learning so much as I rape and pillage my way across the continent :allears:.

That said, the best thing about Crusader Kings is the weird little random dramas that happen based on your decisions. I was playing as a guy with so-so stats, but he happened to have an awesome wife. Who cheated on him constantly with his equally awesome Marshal. I chose to ignore the infidelity, even though it was pretty obvious, and every child the two of them had was about 200 times better than any of my children with her. One ended up killing his older brother/ my natural son to take his place in the succession line, and my country was better for it.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I loaded up Metro: Last Light for a bit the other day, and as much as my friend said that the swamp/church section sucked, I loved it. Jumping from log to land a la "The Floor is Lava" while attempting to not panic and fire off a round every time I flushed a bird-thing from the tall grass was pretty fun. It also helped me learn how to stealth (i.e. learn the max distance I can be hidden from but still nail a Watcher with a throwing knife) more effectively around Mutants.

Whichever programmer put a Daemon in that level is a horrible person, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hobo By Design posted:

The voice actress being the same was a pretty good tell too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are more giveaways than that. If you use it at the palace it will say "We have both been here before".

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Esroc posted:

Welp, if'n ya tell me which mod to get, I may be reinstalling later today.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Shut the gently caress up

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Walton Simons posted:

Hmm, considering that Ezio was nearly offed by Niccolo Machiavelli, punched out Rodrigo Borgia, killed several de Pazzis and knocked around with Caterina Sforza in the same game, I'd say this has always been a staple of the series. Connor does go a bit Forrest Gump but it's always been quite strong.

Also the tutorial level is sneaking into the bedroom of a woman Ezio was seeing in the Vespucci manor.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Assassins Creed does loving suck now, much to my dismay.

In Dark Souls I like how there are massive hidden areas that the game doesn't railroad you to find. I'm specifically thinking of Ash Lake(?) which you can go to from a relatively early area. There is also the obscure as gently caress way to get back to the area where you first started the game to get an item that transports you to another hidden area.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Crow Jane posted:

I picked up Crusader Kings 2 again, and have been playing through with some of the newer expansions, and I've been sucked back in big time. I know it's not exactly a little thing, but the sheer amount of information in this game is awesome. In the Charlemagne expansion, you start in 769, and most of Europe east of France or so is made up of disjointed Pagan groups. Playing as one of them is difficult, as you're more or less doomed to go down in flames, and most people probably won't play as say, an ancient Slav. But there's still just as much religious and lifestyle content for them as there is for Christian and Muslim rulers. I just really love the amount of research that goes into everything about this drat game. I'm learning so much as I rape and pillage my way across the continent :allears:.

That said, the best thing about Crusader Kings is the weird little random dramas that happen based on your decisions. I was playing as a guy with so-so stats, but he happened to have an awesome wife. Who cheated on him constantly with his equally awesome Marshal. I chose to ignore the infidelity, even though it was pretty obvious, and every child the two of them had was about 200 times better than any of my children with her. One ended up killing his older brother/ my natural son to take his place in the succession line, and my country was better for it.

I started playing again with the new expansions, and I got one of the most interesting characters I've had in a long while. I was a duke, and she my first daughter, poised to inherit the ducal throne. However, when she was born, the game told me that she made weird growling noises and caused other babies to cry. She was declared a suspected witch and the spawn of Satan. Good start, no?

When she turned six and was ready to be educated, a beautiful, genius, incredibly skilled nanny (also a suspected witch) turned up to look after her. Shortly before she turned 16, this nanny confessed her love for her and killed herself by throwing herself off a cliff at a family picnic. When she actually turned 16, she turned out to be a lesbian.

By this time, he'd been supplanted by a male heir. When the old Duke died, he became the new one, and also my player character. That didn't last long, though. Big sister was his regent and also his heir. An accident cleaning the roofs saw him dead and me playing a shiny new satanic duchess. The first time she went to war, a 3000 strong army showed up, led by three female generals, each of whom were, like the nanny, geniuses, beautiful, very skilled and suspected witches. They claimed that they'd heard the call of their master directing them to the 'Chosen One'. I won that war.

Throughout her life, the Duchess won countless more wars. Her son and heir, by way of some very clever marriages, became the king of Central Francia. And she took a string of peasant women as lovers during her many hunting trips. Also her sister. Gross

She died around 80, having built an incredibly powerful duchy that my new king inherited.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Walton Simons posted:

I thought of that, but since the Borgias are your antagonists you spend comparatively little time with them - they're Assassin targets, which is fine because that's the point of the game. Palling around with every notable pirate and founding father in existence, not so much. Even the Macchiavelli segments did seem a bit much to me, but I think Brotherhood was the near-perfect balance, and also the best AC game. Black Flag was the best overall game in terms of gameplay (because ship combat owns), but that's because it shouldn't have been an AC game to begin with. The Assassin/Templar story was almost completely ancillary.

Esroc posted:

Another good Skyrim mod that fixes the game is one called Immersive NPC's.
Interesting NPCs you mean? I know, there are like 50 mods called "Immersive" something. But yeah, I love stuff like raiding a random abandoned mill in the countryside and finding an outcast bandit protecting a little girl who was a target of the Dark Brotherhood and things like that. Really fleshes out the world.

As for LoonShia's point about the combat being flaccid and uninspired, there's tons of mods for that too. :haw:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I thought of that, but since the Borgias are your antagonists you spend comparatively little time with them - they're Assassin targets, which is fine because that's the point of the game. Palling around with every notable pirate and founding father in existence, not so much. Even the Macchiavelli segments did seem a bit much to me, but I think Brotherhood was the near-perfect balance, and also the best AC game. Black Flag was the best overall game in terms of gameplay (because ship combat owns), but that's because it shouldn't have been an AC game to begin with. The Assassin/Templar story was almost completely ancillary.:

you also have Leonardo da Vinci as your own personal Q, stop pretending 2 wasn't exactly the same with historical figures

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Are there really people who have played every AC game?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Austrian mook posted:

The dev team sure didn't :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

There are people who have played every Kingdom Heart and/or Final Fantasy game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RareAcumen posted:

There are people who have played every Kingdom Heart and/or Final Fantasy game.

I'd rather play almost any Final Fantasy then any given Assassins Creed game.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Everything but the Vita and PS4 ones. In my defence, I stopped buying them after Revelations or Brotherhood, but kept getting them given as gifts at Christmas time since my wife knows I like the series (less and less as we go on, Rogue was dumb).

littleorv posted:

Assassins Creed does loving suck now, much to my dismay.

In Dark Souls I like how there are massive hidden areas that the game doesn't railroad you to find. I'm specifically thinking of Ash Lake(?) which you can go to from a relatively early area. There is also the obscure as gently caress way to get back to the area where you first started the game to get an item that transports you to another hidden area.

Ash Lake is what you're thinking of. You get two secret areas from Blighttown - the Great Hollow, which leads to Ash Lake.

And getting back to the first area blew my mind the first time I did it - and then the asylum demon owned me over and over again :gitgud:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

I'd rather play almost any Final Fantasy then any given Assassins Creed game.

Final Fantasy sucks rear end

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Everything but the Vita and PS4 ones. In my defence, I stopped buying them after Revelations or Brotherhood, but kept getting them given as gifts at Christmas time since my wife knows I like the series (less and less as we go on, Rogue was dumb).

Ash Lake is what you're thinking of. You get two secret areas from Blighttown - the Great Hollow, which leads to Ash Lake.

And getting back to the first area blew my mind the first time I did it - and then the asylum demon owned me over and over again :gitgud:

Painted world!
Hell of a big area to be so hidden away.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

littleorv posted:

Final Fantasy sucks rear end

Firstly, no. Secondly, even the worst FF has to offer is better than Assassins loving Creed. Idiot.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Austrian mook posted:

Firstly, no. Secondly, even the worst FF has to offer is better than Assassins loving Creed. Idiot.

Haha, you with your terrible opinion. :allears:

Content:
I love it when a game gives me the ability to see projectile data in real-time, like showing me the angle of penetration an 88mm round had on an M4 or why it was a ricochet, etc.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Austrian mook posted:

Much like Bethesda RPGs, the loudest complainers are the people who have gotten the most enjoyment from them.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I played through all of AC2 and what a loving massive mistake. I love renaissance Italy as a setting but now were not going to get a game that does it justice. gently caress Assassins Creed. Literally the worst video game franchise to have mainstream success... possibly ever frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I've been playing Wizardry 8 and one thing I really love about it is the voicesets you can assign to your characters. Other rpgs have done this but Wizardry 8 really makes your dudes feel more like people rather than player controlled robots. There's 32 different voicesets, 16 male and 16 female, and they are all fun to use and full of personality. Not only that, your party members say some pretty funny poo poo at times. It's like the voice options from the Saint's Row games on steroids.