Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Palpek posted:

He gets killed at the end of AC3 so all games after it don't feature him.

Yeah I knew he died, but I wasn't sure when Rogue was set.

As it's a Templar game, does this mean Danny loving Wallace is also absent? Because I do not like Danny Wallace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Yeah I knew he died, but I wasn't sure when Rogue was set.

As it's a Templar game, does this mean Danny loving Wallace is also absent? Because I do not like Danny Wallace.

No Danny Wallace. Who I actually like. I thought Desmond was kind of a goofball, so I liked having a character around whose sole function was to go "who the gently caress is this guy? The Chosen One? Goddamn, that's stupid."

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

No Danny Wallace. Who I actually like. I thought Desmond was kind of a goofball, so I liked having a character around whose sole function was to go "who the gently caress is this guy? The Chosen One? Goddamn, that's stupid."

I take your point about Desmond, but we had him doing his nonsense over 5 pretty long games. It wore thin very quickly for me. I do like the modern day stuff though and know I'm pretty much in a minority there.

Danny Wallace is far too tied up with Dave Gorman, who I would never tire of punching, in my mind to be redeemed though. I hear he's a nice guy, but it's much too late for that now. And if I want deadpan English snark in my murder sim I'm more than capable of doing it myself.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Man, after getting so used to Unity's parkour system Black Flag's just feels super weird. I honestly think Unity's was an improvement.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

Man, after getting so used to Unity's parkour system Black Flag's just feels super weird. I honestly think Unity's was an improvement.

It's about the only thing in Unity that was an improvement.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

Me too. Unity's felt much more fluid.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Slightly disappointed with the fact that the Morrigan is smaller and has less guns than the Jackdaw, but the speed and maneuverability are definitely really nice. Ultimately not sure which ship I prefer!

Ah who am I kidding. I prefer that Man O' War you helm in that one mission in Black Flag.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I was always a little disappointed that you couldn't commandeer a variety of ships in the games, making it into Grand Theft Nautical or something, would've made the fights with legendary ships a bit easier.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

The Iron Rose posted:

Slightly disappointed with the fact that the Morrigan is smaller and has less guns than the Jackdaw, but the speed and maneuverability are definitely really nice. Ultimately not sure which ship I prefer!

Ah who am I kidding. I prefer that Man O' War you helm in that one mission in Black Flag.

There's an upgrade for the round shot that makes your cannons shoot a double load, though. Also the carronades and Puckle guns own.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Deakul posted:

I was always a little disappointed that you couldn't commandeer a variety of ships in the games, making it into Grand Theft Nautical or something, would've made the fights with legendary ships a bit easier.

Yeah, but I think they wanted to build up an emotional connection to the Jackdaw. I think they even said in marketing that it was like a second character unto itself. So switching around multiple ships just doesn't give you the same connection as that ship you upgraded from nothing into a fierce demon ship that terrorizes the high seas.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, but I think they wanted to build up an emotional connection to the Jackdaw. I think they even said in marketing that it was like a second character unto itself. So switching around multiple ships just doesn't give you the same connection as that ship you upgraded from nothing into a fierce demon ship that terrorizes the high seas.

Fair enough, though I haven't felt much of a connection cause I constantly swap figureheads, sails, and wheels just about all the time. :sissies:
I don't even know what the canon appearance of the ship is anymore.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deakul posted:

Fair enough, though I haven't felt much of a connection cause I constantly swap figureheads, sails, and wheels just about all the time. :sissies:
I don't even know what the canon appearance of the ship is anymore.

Yeah, I think it's pretty hard to build a connection to a ship when the extent of your customization is some fairly limited cosmetic things and everything else is required upgrades. Also when you don't have to deal with the random idiosyncrasies that pop up with any constantly used piece of equipment and just hit "repair" at a shop. People don't get attached to things just because they use them all the time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Capn Beeb posted:

"Oooh lookit me I'm James Cook, hotshot explorer loving about the arctic without cold weather gear. I see you eyeballing my mittens. Enjoy your frostbite, bonehead. :jerkbag:"

I still want Assassin's Creed: Paradise Lost about the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii. The tutorial sequence can be you're playing as one of the main character's ancestors and you stealth into Captain Cook's encampment and ruin his poo poo :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

LentThem posted:

The only problem with Black Flag stealth is that you were totally silent while sprinting and holding the attack button made you instantly double-impale anyone nearby so you were basically the ghost-face from Scream running around corners and popping in and out of cornfields killing dozens of guards without ever aggroing them-

I take it back the stealth was awesome

Exactly my point. Aggressive video game stealth is the best stealth. It's why Conviction was alright despite itself, and why Blacklist was great.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Oh thank Christ. Got past Sequence 2 in Rogue and Shay is way more attractive now. Dunno how much longer I could've gone staring at his ugly mug back from the early game.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Rogue is £40?!

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, how's everyone finding Rogue? (Waiting for a sale to pick it up, guess this summer?) I really like the idea of river sailing. Also, just because I like Pretty Assassin Templar Dress Up, how's the customization this time around, same as Black Flag?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

So, how's everyone finding Rogue? (Waiting for a sale to pick it up, guess this summer?) I really like the idea of river sailing. Also, just because I like Pretty Assassin Templar Dress Up, how's the customization this time around, same as Black Flag?

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed:_Rogue_outfits

It's a lot better. You can dress up as a cowboy.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

I find that I don't like the river sailing all that much, but it's still a great game.

Not as pretty as Black Flag either, which is disappointing, but the ship combat is as fantastic as always and the new tools you have are hella fun.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Yeah, the river sailing isn't that great.

Shooting icebergs with your cannons though? :yarr:

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I'm enjoying the new assassin enemy type. It's fun to sneak up on a guy trying to sneak up on you. It's even more fun when they are hiding in a haystack only for me to dive in with them, blade first.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

:black101:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Everything about Lisbon was cool, except the shot at the end that looks like a bad stage prop. Definitely the first Precursor stuff they've done that has a definite alien feel rather than just tech-y.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've only been able to play Rogue for a couple hours so far because work is dumb but

oh my god :allears:

This might be the best AC game by default now.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy poo poo.
So, I guess instead of Mayans or Native Americans as the background cultural motif this time it's the Norse?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Me a few hours into Rogue: You know, this has been a really polished, enjoyable experience so far, I haven't noticed anything amiss!

Not ten minutes later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5dWlC78_-0

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Ha. And still a better experience than Unity.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Moments later I sleep darted a fox because it wouldn't stop running faster than me and then I skinned it alive. :stonk:

Unrelated, if I hear about how everything has been tense since Jumonville one more time I might kill somebody.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 11, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Berserk darts have always hosed with this series. There was a part in Black Flag where I guess I used them where I wasn't supposed to:

Those guys would just run around crazy but not fight one another and the Berserk effect wouldn't end.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Pretty much. I berserk darted a bunch of guards at the first visit to Mount Vernon and then the assassination target ran around murdering his guests for a while.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I love the pistola. The moment the hidden blade pistola became available it was instantly my go to tool for dealing with 'escaping' VIPs. "Catch him before he escapes!" *caps his rear end* 'bene'

What I'm saying is every time I instantly end a chase by shooting the runner before the chase even starts i feel like Harrison Ford.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The setpiece in Portugal was really awesome and I didn't expect something like that out of what is essentially a spinoff/expansion of 4. I'm really enjoying this game and as the one person who loves the modern day poo poo, it's already washing the bad taste Unity left in my mouth.

Great PC port, too. Seems to have eliminated the problem with 4 where the vsync didn't support triple buffering.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Slightly disappointed with the fact that the Morrigan is smaller and has less guns than the Jackdaw, but the speed and maneuverability are definitely really nice.

Wow the Jackdaw was already hilariously maneuverable. The Morrigan must handle like a jetski. IRL it could take a minute or two for a sailing ship to make a U-turn. Everything's human-powered and the sails need to be drastically repositioned if you significantly alter the ship's heading relative to the wind.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow the Jackdaw was already hilariously maneuverable. The Morrigan must handle like a jetski. IRL it could take a minute or two for a sailing ship to make a U-turn. Everything's human-powered and the sails need to be drastically repositioned if you significantly alter the ship's heading relative to the wind.

Oh yeah this is no Naval Action. Once you hit a brig with the focsle guns it's all over but the crying and a hilariously impotent game of duck duck explosive shot.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would it be worth finishing Revelations before I tackle Black Flag? Got the latter as a birthday gift but I never tied up Ezio's story - there was so much stuff going on I kind of wandered off and never really picked up the second half of Rev.

Orv
May 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Would it be worth finishing Revelations before I tackle Black Flag? Got the latter as a birthday gift but I never tied up Ezio's story - there was so much stuff going on I kind of wandered off and never really picked up the second half of Rev.

Do you care about closure for both Ezio and Altair at all? If so, do it. If not, skip it.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Orv posted:

Pretty much. I berserk darted a bunch of guards at the first visit to Mount Vernon and then the assassination target ran around murdering his guests for a while.

That's how you know it's a good party.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Orv posted:

Do you care about closure for both Ezio and Altair at all? If so, do it. If not, skip it.

Cool. I'll just focus on the main mission storyline stuff then. I'll dick about in black Flag.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Revelations is fine, it does add some unnecessary mechanics but the game itself is good and definitely better than AC2. It also finishes Ezio's story really nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Really the only outright bad thing about Revelations was the tower defense, which is almost entirely skippable.

The main complaints leveled at it were basically feature-fatigue from AC2 and Brotherhood getting rehashed again.

In hindsight, post AC3 and Unity, maybe it would've been great if they kept rehashing for a while longer instead.

• Locked thread