Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jedit posted:

TSCC had some of the best stuff ever done in the universe and at least one of the best scenes ever filmed for television. Vick's Chip is the highlight of S1, as we get to see a Terminator in full infiltration mode from its own POV.

S2 had a Terminator singing "Donald, Where's Your Trousers?", which is worth the price of admission by itself.

What? S2 was filmed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lagomorphic posted:

Every time you mention the Terminator movies anywhere on the internet a dozen nerds will immediately spend more time thinking about the mechanics of time travel depicted in the films than any of the actual writers ever did.

Agreed. With time travel it's best to just hand wave away the paradoxes and enjoy the film. More irrationally irritating to me (and I think I posted this already) is "why didn't the dogs bark at Arnold in T2 at the weapons camp?" In T1, Reese hears a dog bark and gets squirrelly, explaining that they use dogs to sniff out Terminators. Then in T2 "Wolfie" is barking like a motherfucker when they call John's house.

But none of the dogs at the camp react to Arnold at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. With time travel it's best to just hand wave away the paradoxes and enjoy the film. More irrationally irritating to me (and I think I posted this already) is "why didn't the dogs bark at Arnold in T2 at the weapons camp?" In T1, Reese hears a dog bark and gets squirrelly, explaining that they use dogs to sniff out Terminators. Then in T2 "Wolfie" is barking like a motherfucker when they call John's house.

But none of the dogs at the camp react to Arnold at all.

We don't actually know how dogs are used to spot Terminators, but it has to be something natural as John's dog couldn't have been trained to spot them. It could be that dogs recognise a predator and want to warn their humans. Arnie wasn't there with hostile intent as a Terminator normally would be and he was forbidden to kill, so he might not have appeared threatening to the dogs at Enrique's camp.

Alternately, it could have been a deliberate nod to Arnie gradually becoming more human.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

John's dog didn't need any sort of training to be barking. It doesn't take training for a dog to recognize that a big shiny thing that just killed your family is bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The dog's name was Max, not Wolfie :ssh:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Terminator spotted

gently caress

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Jedit posted:

Alternately, it could have been a deliberate nod to Arnie gradually becoming more human.

This has always been my interpretation

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I think that in general the dogs would have to be trained to spot/smell them, but in Max's case, he KNEW what his owner should smell like, and it was wrong.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Jedit posted:

TSCC had some of the best stuff ever done in the universe and at least one of the best scenes ever filmed for television. Vick's Chip is the highlight of S1, as we get to see a Terminator in full infiltration mode from its own POV.

S2 had a Terminator singing "Donald, Where's Your Trousers?", which is worth the price of admission by itself.

I liked TSCC simply because one of the main characters gets his head blown off by a villain of the week Terminator in the background of a shot, without said Terminator even breaking stride. Just boom, no fanfare, main character dead and gone.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Polaron posted:

I liked TSCC simply because one of the main characters gets his head blown off by a villain of the week Terminator in the background of a shot, without said Terminator even breaking stride. Just boom, no fanfare, main character dead and gone.

Yeah that was pretty cool when it happened but it became very clear that they did it just two avoid having two versions of him when they did the time-travel thing at the end of the season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

My IIMM with T2 is that Wolfie is a stupid name for a dog.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Henchman of Santa posted:

My IIMM with T2 is that Wolfie is a stupid name for a dog.

Just as well that it wasn't the dog's name, then.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Just as well that it wasn't the dog's name, then.

Yeah it was the first thing a rather daft terminator could come up with on the spot that sounded nothing like Max but could be a dog's name.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That scene where the T1000 is imposing as his mom and the old-school Arnold Termie is posing as the kid, both doing perfect voice matching, was the coooooooooolest loving poo poo back when T2 came out. That stuff is pretty terrifying and computers are going to be able to do it in a few years here. :ohdear:

Fun story about Judgement Day: When filming the motorcycle chase sequence, Arnold picked up the wrong shotgun once and came close to breaking 3 fingers when he attempted to flip-cock it.

More movies should have flip-cocking shotguns in them :colbert: Even if it isn't practical.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

What scene? The swimming pool fight?

And S2 had the really Freudian robot boob grab/fuel rod scene, which is the closest to artistic perfection that humanity will ever come.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Actually, wait a tick. The whole thing relies on a time paradox in the first place, right? Skynet becomes self-aware in August 29th 2:14 AM Eastern Time 1997, and the terminators had to be made by then. But in T2 they're stopping cyberdyne from reverse engineering the chip. Wouldn't that make them create the terminators earlier? How did they build them in the first place? Did the 2nd terminator come from the alternate reality created by the events of the first movie, or was he sent from the first movie's future after the first movie's terminator----

1st timeline: Man invents cybernetics, discovers time travel, attempts to send a modified human to the past.

John Connor timeline: human with google glass or some such arrives in the Eighties dead on arrival due to exterior mechanical modifications. US government finds the corpse, reverse engineers advanced computing systems from what remains of the interior mechanics, and creates a basic (yet functional) AI attached to nukes because it's the Eighties/Early Nineties. Skynet causes judgement day in '97. John Connor leads the rebelion, the HKs are pushed back, and both the T-800 and Kyle Reese are sent into the past moments before Skynet's destruction.

Terminator Timeline: Kyle Reese saves Sarah Connor, gives her future information, and then annihilates original timeline John Connor by impregnating Sarah. Sarah destroys the T-800. The memory chip and arm of the T-800 are reverse-engineered by Cyberdyne, allowing for advanced robotics and AI which eventually lead to the development of ridiculously-advanced T-1000 technology. Sarah becomes a survivalist and fills "John Connor" full of crazy stories that allow him to survive longer than he should due to advanced knowledge rather than sheer grit. "John" is able to foil Skynet well enough that it is forced to send a T-1000 to the past while he sends a reprogrammed T-800 back to protect himself.

T2 Timeline: "John Connor," with the help of his mother and the reprogrammed T-800, barely survive an attack by the T-1000. In the process, they destroy the artifacts and knowledge that allow such a versatile robot to be created in the first place. Despite this, enough information was passed on to the US military via government contracts to allow for a basic AI to be hooked to satellites/internet and create a new Skynet that is able to control a set of human-designed HKs and initiate Judgement Day later than expected. Knowing that Skynet will eventually develop time travel and try to kill him or others in the past should humanity succeed, "John" finds (and fills his rebellion's high command) with survivors tied to the "original" Skynet program. Together they are able to withstand the machines and pose a threat to the earthbound facilities that follow Skynet's command but, due to "John Connor's" childhood fondness of the T-800, a T-850 is able to gain his trust long enough to kill him. Skynet manages to send a prototype T-X into the past as Kate Brewster sends the T-850 that killed "John" (now reprogrammed) behind it.

T3 Timeline: The intervention of the T-X and T-850 cause "John Connor" and Kate Brewster to meet before Judgement Day rather than after. Due to this interference, John and Kate are positioned to withstand Judgement Day from within a fallout shelter equipped with radio equipment that allows them to get an early start on initiating a human defense against the machines. Because of this, far more competent people are able to be organized, resulting in "John Connor" being supplanted as leader of the resistance. Due to the prescient attempts of "John" and Kate to shut down Skynet before Judgement Day and their being targeted by primitive HKs at Skynet's awakening, the duo are assumed to be Skynet's most major obstacle. This results in Terminator Salvation's Skynet focusing it's attacks on John Connor and Kate Brewster whereas "John" nearly causes his own death trying to ensure his own conception by protecting an adolescent Kyle Reese. Marcus Wright is Deus Ex Cyborg.

:suicide:

My irritating movie moment is that people assume the Terminator franchise operates on a bizarre and broken grandfather paradox instead of the obvious assumption that each movie protagonist is facing off against an organism that adapts and survives by altering its "genes" via chronology rather than reproduction.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

T3 was bad, but TS was just retarded.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Zaphod42 posted:

More movies should have flip-cocking shotguns in them :colbert: Even if it isn't practical.

Cool enough to literally base an entire tv series around a guy doing that a lot.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I thought it was funny at three end of T3 that they're in the bunker and get those (presumably military) transmissions through as it implies that this is how John Madden Connor becomes a leader of the resistance which given how much of a cock he was would just be him shouting 'but I know about the futuuuuuureeeee' at them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

T3 was bad, but TS was just retarded.

T3 at least had THE SWIRLY OF DOOM. TS had... gently caress, I dunno.

Pneub posted:

Cool enough to literally base an entire tv series around a guy doing that a lot.

That ain't a shotgun :colbert:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Granted I haven't seen it since it came out, but at the very least Salvation does something different by being set during the robot war.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

In Lethal Weapon Danny Glover and Mel Gibson are both at the shooting range, Danny Glover is supposed to be the alright shot with Mel Gibson being the fantastic paragon of all shooting. Except Danny Glover doesn't flinch or blink when he shoots and Mel Gibson seems to spaz and shut his eyes with every shot, it's retarded.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Cornwind Evil posted:

2) Skynet creates an alternate universe where it wins, but there is no change to the universe it is in. I do not think an emotionless super AI would be willing to go 'Well ANOTHER version of me will rule the world/the cosmos/whatever, I'll consider that a win'. That's a human trait.

I feel like it would exactly the opposite. Emotional humans would fret over "it's not really me...!", whereas an AI might just see it more like copying itself. Even if it's all about self-preservation, an AI's idea of "self" should be lot less rigid than a human's.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

JebanyPedal posted:

In Lethal Weapon Danny Glover and Mel Gibson are both at the shooting range, Danny Glover is supposed to be the alright shot with Mel Gibson being the fantastic paragon of all shooting. Except Danny Glover doesn't flinch or blink when he shoots and Mel Gibson seems to spaz and shut his eyes with every shot, it's retarded.

Wow, you aren't kidding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zjjzh1JGiU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

Murtaugh is lying about his skills in an attempt to make his mentally unstable partner feel better.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Saw Chappie last night, and the complaints about the place's security definitely ring true. I mean, this is apparently a crime-ridden city, but there isn't enough security for a huge security firm to stop a carjacking of their most important programmer not five minutes outside of their compound. Also, Hugh Jackman's character was just comically villainous, even cackling as he tore a man in half. That said, I really enjoyed the movie.

Oh, though all the synopses and marketing I've seen about the film all make it sound like something completely different. It looks like it's trying to pass itself off as a movie where a single robot has to save mankind or some poo poo like that, and that is completely and utterly not the case. "Humanity's last hope isn't human", like, what? That's about as appropriate for this film as it would be for Bicentennial Man.

"In the near future, crime is patrolled by an oppressive mechanized police force. But now, the people are fighting back." What.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That last one sounds a lil too much like Robocop 3.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
What is it about then? The marketing I've seen seems to suggest it's Pinocchio with a robot.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
How asinine is the presence of Die Antwoord? I haven't seen Chappie yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pneub posted:

:allears: Holy poo poo that's glorious.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pneub posted:

Fairly sure my boxers flew off when he smiled at the camera. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nexus6 posted:

What is it about then? The marketing I've seen seems to suggest it's Pinocchio with a robot.

That's pretty much what its about.

But if you saw Pinocchio advertised as "This is the puppet we needed; not the puppet we deserved" or "This summer, all of humanity will be saved not by a great hero, but by a small puppet." you'd probably be confused. Pinocchio was never about that. At best he saved some dude from a whale? It was more about personal growth and discovery than a heroic tale of saving the planet.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Gotta market to the Transformers crowd

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A Terrible Person posted:

1st timeline: Man invents cybernetics, discovers time travel, attempts to send a modified human to the past.

John Connor timeline: human with google glass or some such arrives in the Eighties dead on arrival due to exterior mechanical modifications. US government finds the corpse, reverse engineers advanced computing systems from what remains of the interior mechanics, and creates a basic (yet functional) AI attached to nukes because it's the Eighties/Early Nineties. Skynet causes judgement day in '97. John Connor leads the rebelion, the HKs are pushed back, and both the T-800 and Kyle Reese are sent into the past moments before Skynet's destruction.

This is the part that confused me. First of all, where is this coming from? Does T1 or T2 explain this, or is it all T3/TSCC/TS/extended universe ?

Second of all, here's the thing there. So in John Connor timeline, Skynet doesn't have Terminators yet, right? Its just some AI they hook up to the defense grid? I can totally see it going crazy self-preservation and setting off all the nukes on its own, that makes sense. But then you've got a Earth that is completely turned into swiss-cheese by nukes, and you've got this super smart AI in a box, and you've got some radiated human survivors. How do the T-800s come about, exactly?

Are we to believe that Skynet hacked into a car manufacturing facility and repurposed its robotic arms to forge the first terminators or something? It just seems like a leap to me there. No humans would bother working for Skynet after it turned into SHODAN, so are we really to believe that the US government had a robot manufacturing facility in 1997 that was entirely electronically controlled and could be hacked into / taken over by Skynet? I just don't get that.

Or does Skynet make its own Terminator factory by using... some basic servos or something? It just seems like there's a gap there.

Once you've got the T-800 all the future timelines make sense.

I guess the idea is that in THIS 1997 they are able to make a robotic manufacturing plant since they have the reverse-engineered technology from future-man 1st timeline?

Time travel is stupid.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

That's pretty much what its about.

But if you saw Pinocchio advertised as "This is the puppet we needed; not the puppet we deserved" or "This summer, all of humanity will be saved not by a great hero, but by a small puppet." you'd probably be confused. Pinocchio was never about that. At best he saved some dude from a whale? It was more about personal growth and discovery than a heroic tale of saving the planet.

I was actually confused during the advertisements thinking, "Wait, they have one robot that's gonna save everyone, but the bad guys have an army of that very same robot, so..."

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

joshtothemaxx posted:

How asinine is the presence of Die Antwoord? I haven't seen Chappie yet.

I don't like Die Antwoord and my friend I saw chappie with also doesn't like them but neither of us felt like they were super out of place. It was a pretty entertaining movie, although Huge Jackman with a powermullet is quite amusing.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Sloober posted:

I don't like Die Antwoord and my friend I saw chappie with also doesn't like them but neither of us felt like they were super out of place. It was a pretty entertaining movie, although Huge Jackman with a powermullet is quite amusing.

I couldn't quite wrap my head around who they were supposed to be in the context of the movie. They use their "real" names, Ninja and Yolandi, and appear to have Die Antwoord promotional material in their hideout. Were they supposed to be near-future actual real life Die Antwoord fallen on hard times? Or were they characters that just happened to have the same names as the people playing them.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

El Cid posted:

I couldn't quite wrap my head around who they were supposed to be. They use their "real" names, Ninja and Yolandi, and appear to have Die Antwoord promotional material in their hideout. Were they supposed to be near-future actual real life Die Antwoord fallen on hard times? Or were they characters that just happened to have the same names as the people playing them.

My interpretation from my admittedly lack of knowledge regarding them is they're playing the characters they seem to play as part of their act, so it both is, and is not the members of die antwoord.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sloober posted:

My interpretation from my admittedly lack of knowledge regarding them is they're playing the characters they seem to play as part of their act, so it both is, and is not the members of die antwoord.

Or rather that the movie takes place in the Die Antwoord cinematic universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nexus6 posted:

It's literally Short Circuit set in South Africa and replacing Ally Sheedy with a brace of lovely rappers.