Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hey thanks for the leads, I'll check them out.

We're getting married at Camp Kiwanee in Hanson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlutenFreeBanana
Apr 5, 2014
5 days to go . I was able to arrange a last minute dj ( thanks douche bag DJ ) at this point I'm just letting go and hoping for the best !!!

Hobson
Oct 19, 2009

This is not the way I wish to be remembered.
A friend at work told me that the base color of my cake should match the color of my wedding dress. (Stark white dress means stark white fondant or butter cream) Is this true? Has anyone else heard this? I stood there baffled and everyone else agreed and acted like this is common knowledge. She said I would clash with the cake otherwise. I am all for coordination but this seems like a lot of bullshit.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I have no idea if this is true, but it seems like not a big deal at the end of the day. You'll only be standing in front of the cake for a very short period of time, and any photographer worth their salt will be able to color correct that if you really want it that way afterwards.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Personally that sounds like a load of wedding-mania bullshit. I mean, generally wedding cakes look best in white or cream or something, but I'd say go with what looks good to you.

I'm all for putting thought into the cake design but worrying about "clashing" with it is ridiculous. You stand next to the cake for like maybe two minutes. Then you eat it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Matching the wedding cake is asinine wedding details on steroids

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yea no kidding...

If we needed to match the cake my fiancé is hosed when we stand near the 6 different flavors of cupcakes...

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

poo poo like that makes me want to elope. Get whatever color of you want. We're probably not even going to do a cake (BLASPHEMY) we're probably doing a chocolate fountain or something and it will be chocolate color which is not white (SACRILEGE) and my dress is going to be a color that is pretty far from white (ETERNAL DAMNATION).

I feel the whole of wedding law should be: If it matters to you, do it. If it matters to someone else who is not paying for it, gently caress them. (Or politely say, "That's [interesting / lovely / a nice idea] but I don't think it's a priority for us" if you want to be nice about it.) If it matters to someone who is paying for it and not you, negotiate. And whatever you do, don't go into debt or lose your mind trying to throw the "perfect" wedding. No wedding is perfect; there will be snags. Focus on making your day awesome.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So my GF and I will be in NYC this weekend, she's traveling there every week for work and she asked if I would flex up there so we could spend a weekend away together. We have most of the weekend planned out, but I just bought an engagement ring and am trying to work in a proposal amongst our plans.

We've discussed marriage and our future and even how many kids we will have and when. She expects a proposal and unless I was over-thinking this, she was dropping some heavy hints on Valentine's that she was expecting me to propose then (playing with her ring finger chief among these). I dragged my feet for a month or two trying to get in her parents' schedule so I could take them to dinner and get their blessing (they are traditional folks), and I finally bought a ring earlier this week somewhat based on their advice. It's a 14KT white gold solitaire basically, with about .15KT of tiny diamonds embedded on top of the ring, and a 1.3KT SI2 J color that is surprisingly white for the color grade. It's gorgeous and I am sure she'll like it and I'm sure she will say yes based on our many discussions on the subject. She just didn't want to know when I was going to do it.

Outside of insuring the ring which I need to do before going to NY unless it's too late, what else should I account for? I'd like to do it in Central Park if the weather is nice enough, but I don't want to spend another $1,250 on a proposal package Central Park's website offers after spending nearly $6,000 total on the ring, and also when I don't know when exactly we'll be going to Central Park. She's not into carriage rides so that's out. Is a proposal in Central Park easily done on the fly?

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

life is killing me posted:

Outside of insuring the ring which I need to do before going to NY unless it's too late, what else should I account for? I'd like to do it in Central Park if the weather is nice enough, but I don't want to spend another $1,250 on a proposal package Central Park's website offers after spending nearly $6,000 total on the ring, and also when I don't know when exactly we'll be going to Central Park. She's not into carriage rides so that's out. Is a proposal in Central Park easily done on the fly?

While walking in the park, just ask her? That way, it's free, no? Are you really looking to make this a big event with a photographer and everything to capture the moment as it happens?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Is a proposal in Central Park easily done on the fly?

Absolutely, but be warned, the weather he is absolute poo poo (we're supposed to be pelted with more snow tonight and tomorrow and the ground is covered with gross brown snow and slush and deceptively deep puddles) so I'd highly suggest not getting set with an outdoor proposal.

I mean, I've seen a ton of proposals in Central Park just walking through, it's not something that really needs planning (I did see a cute one that involved strange holding poster board and roses but that's not the norm for Central Park proposals, anecdotally.

Maybe consider posting in the NYC thread for better ideas, we need some new content to discuss besides the weather and burritos.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ayem posted:

While walking in the park, just ask her? That way, it's free, no? Are you really looking to make this a big event with a photographer and everything to capture the moment as it happens?

I'm not, really, though my sister knows some photographers in NYC whom she has offered to call and ask if they will snap a few shots. I just want to ask her because she knows it's coming eventually, but I don't really think it needs to be hugely elaborate and I'm probably over-thinking it. She also doesn't like to be put on the spot in public places, but really, who does? If I can find a pretty spot in Central Park where there are fewer people, I think she'd make an exception since it's not every day your boyfriend proposes?

In other words, if I can get my sister to get a photographer out there in the right time frame, sure I'd like to do photos, but otherwise I'm looking to make this as low-key as possible while still romantic and memorable, and also semi-impromptu, as in I'm planning this, but not down to the last detail.

edit:

ilysespieces posted:

Absolutely, but be warned, the weather he is absolute poo poo (we're supposed to be pelted with more snow tonight and tomorrow and the ground is covered with gross brown snow and slush and deceptively deep puddles) so I'd highly suggest not getting set with an outdoor proposal.

I mean, I've seen a ton of proposals in Central Park just walking through, it's not something that really needs planning (I did see a cute one that involved strange holding poster board and roses but that's not the norm for Central Park proposals, anecdotally.

Maybe consider posting in the NYC thread for better ideas, we need some new content to discuss besides the weather and burritos.

Okay so I need a contingency plan. We've got reservations at this restaurant called River Park (I think it's in Times Square near our hotel which is also in Times Square? I've not even been to NY state much less NYC). I imagine there's some sort of dress code at this place so will be wearing a blazer, and thus will be nicely dressed for the occasion rather than proposing to her in the hotel while we're in bed in our pajamas.

I had entertained the idea, previously, of going to a nice restaurant here where we live (DFW TX) but buying gift cards for it and saying I won them in an office raffle (which happens frequently) so she won't be all, "Hmm, we're going out to The Capital Grille for no reason! Wonder why?" and then having them bring the ring out on a dessert plate and writing "Will you marry me?" in chocolate sauce or whatever on the plate. Does this sound too corny and over-thought?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 5, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Yeah that's extra stupid. The only reason a baker would care about the dress is to make sure the cake matches the overall style of the wedding, and even that's a stretch. We had a pretty formal wedding but still had a fun cake.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What is the etiquette about having a wedding ceremony/reception after being married in court? I got married last week after some life changes, but we are still having our reception this summer. I still want to have some sort of vow renewal so people in our wedding party still feel important.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Okay so I need a contingency plan. We've got reservations at this restaurant called River Park (I think it's in Times Square near our hotel which is also in Times Square? I've not even been to NY state much less NYC). I imagine there's some sort of dress code at this place so will be wearing a blazer, and thus will be nicely dressed for the occasion rather than proposing to her in the hotel while we're in bed in our pajamas.

Yeah, we just got hit with so much snow my boss, who rarely closes the office, sent us home at 1. You can go for a walk in central park, it might be beautiful, it might be disgusting (depending on if it warms up and melts the snow or not), but it'll probably be disgusting if the forecast is right. I've never heard of that place/have only spent minimal time in Times Square, but dress code is a good sign. It really depends on how public of a thing she wants, Central Park in a secluded area, in a really populated area, and at a restaurant in Times Square are different levels of public and you have to judge where her line is. If she would be cool with a restaurant, either of your ideas sound great. If you do it this weekend and the weather isn't terrible, I suggest taking a walk on the High Line. I suggest you visit the High Line anyway, really, it has a nice view. I think we're taking pictures after our ceremony at the High Line :)

Good luck, I hope you get a good story out of it and can share when you do.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ilysespieces posted:

Yeah, we just got hit with so much snow my boss, who rarely closes the office, sent us home at 1. You can go for a walk in central park, it might be beautiful, it might be disgusting (depending on if it warms up and melts the snow or not), but it'll probably be disgusting if the forecast is right. I've never heard of that place/have only spent minimal time in Times Square, but dress code is a good sign. It really depends on how public of a thing she wants, Central Park in a secluded area, in a really populated area, and at a restaurant in Times Square are different levels of public and you have to judge where her line is. If she would be cool with a restaurant, either of your ideas sound great. If you do it this weekend and the weather isn't terrible, I suggest taking a walk on the High Line. I suggest you visit the High Line anyway, really, it has a nice view. I think we're taking pictures after our ceremony at the High Line :)

Good luck, I hope you get a good story out of it and can share when you do.

I certainly will share after the fact!

And the dress code, she's the one who told me they had one, and said I could get away with dark jeans, boots and a blazer. That's usually a sign of a middle-to-upscale restaurant, but I'm not taking a suit so I hope I'm dressed well enough. If any of you NYCers happen to be in the area of that restaurant, I'll be the only one in black cowboy boots and a blazer, I suspect.

e: Haven't even had a chance to get the ring appraised, much less insured. What are my options here? I basically need to keep it on my person at all times or in my carry-on at the airport, of this much I'm certain. But I don't want her seeing it and I don't want it stolen by housekeeping at the hotel, and the safe is out since my GF will be using it too and even if she wasn't, she'd see me putting something in there. If we even go to Central Park, what are the chances of this ring being stolen? I'm told by a coworker who is from NYC that parts of CP aren't safe and that makes me nervous about the ring not being insured.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 6, 2015

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

e: Haven't even had a chance to get the ring appraised, much less insured. What are my options here? I basically need to keep it on my person at all times or in my carry-on at the airport, of this much I'm certain. But I don't want her seeing it and I don't want it stolen by housekeeping at the hotel, and the safe is out since my GF will be using it too and even if she wasn't, she'd see me putting something in there. If we even go to Central Park, what are the chances of this ring being stolen? I'm told by a coworker who is from NYC that parts of CP aren't safe and that makes me nervous about the ring not being insured.

No idea about the insurance or where to keep the ring besides do it early and enjoy the weekend as a newly engaged couple, but I promise you won't be strolling through the dangerous parts of Central Park late at night/early in the morning. It might not be as crawling with tourists/locals as it can get at nice times, like in the summer, but it's still safe for you to enjoy. NYC is incredibly safe and you won't go to any of the parts that aren't.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
ughhhh our engagement photo session has been rescheduled 3 times now and we're getting tight on time. Our photographer is finding out that Saturdays are a pretty valuable commodity in her line of work! I understand that she has to take gigs if they come up, but why even suggest Saturdays as an option if you're gonna bump us first chance. Not like we're gonna be the bad guy and say no.

bathhouse fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 6, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

bathhouse posted:

ughhhh our engagement photo session has been rescheduled 3 times and we're getting tight on time. Our photographer is finding out that Saturdays are a pretty valuable commodity in her line of work! I understand that she has to take gigs if they come up, but why even suggest Saturdays as an option if you're gonna bump us first chance. Not like we're gonna be the bad guy and say no.

As a photographer myself (just not of people), when you take appointments it should be set in stone, the only factors to possibly change it being unforeseeable circumstances that can't be worked around, like the weather. To me, your photographer's way of doing business sounds pretty apparent. The only reason I can think she is bumping you down is because your wedding is a ways off and some people are contacting her last-minute, but she should have kept the original appointment and anyone who called after you made yours should have had to wait. First-come, first-serve and all that. I photograph houses and landscape, and if I make an appointment with someone and someone else calls a day or so later needing photos ASAP, well then, in that situation ASAP means after I am finished with prior appointments. I don't see how it should be any different with wedding and engagement photographers or portrait photographers. The only people who can control when they make appointments is the people who need the photography done, and if anyone waits until the last minute, too bad, so sad, especially since they should be calling way ahead of time like you apparently did, it being their engagement and wedding and all.

IOW, do you have time to book another photographer that will actually keep an appointment and not push you back 2-3 times because someone who made an appointment after you is somehow more important than you?

PS I'd rather lose customers who can't wait for me to finish my prior obligations, than lose customers because they didn't feel like their appointment was important enough to be kept.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 6, 2015

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

I appreciate the reassurance, it just seems so unprofessional to me. She bumped us first for her "niece's Quinceañera" (apparently she didn't see that one coming) and the last two times it was for weddings. Our event is in August, but we want to send out invites with photos in late May, and drop a few pounds before the session. There's time to play with, it's just frustrating.

Also, it was hard enough finding her, we looked at 10 or so photographers before her and they were either booked or unresponsive. We also signed up for her most expensive package ($3k), but apparently that still doesn't make us a priority. /rant

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

bathhouse posted:

I appreciate the reassurance, it just seems so unprofessional to me. She bumped us first for her "niece's Quinceañera" (apparently she didn't see that one coming) and the last two times it was for weddings. Our event is in August, but we want to send out invites with photos in late May, and drop a few pounds before the session. There's time to play with, it's just frustrating.

Also, it was hard enough finding her, we looked at 10 or so photographers before her and they were either booked or unresponsive. We also signed up for her most expensive package ($3k), but apparently that still doesn't make us a priority. /rant

It is unprofessional, that's my whole point. Look at more photographers for sure. There are myriad more reasons why other photographers were unresponsive, they may be booked too or are just as unprofessional. If I can't get someone to call me back after trying 2-3 times, I just assume they are doing well enough and don't need or want my business and I move on. Clearly this photographer's priorities are not in her business. Also, FFS, if my family ever asks me to do photography at a family function like a wedding or reunion or whatever, I'm going to tell them no. Why? Because I don't work for free, and I want to enjoy the time, not spend it working.

Again, find another photographer. Look, look, and keep looking. Call your friends and see if they know a photographer, even better if they are married friends and they can call the photographer they used.

For all other bumps that are legit jobs, she either doesn't know how to schedule correctly (or doesn't schedule at all), or literally doesn't think you're as important as those weddings, which may be people that actually did book her AFTER you did. While her schedule, if she even has one, is her business and she doesn't have to explain to anyone why she can't book them on a certain day, one has to wonder.

:ninja:edit -- Did you already pay the 3k or any kind of deposit? If so, ask for it back and explain to her why you want it back, if you decide not to use her. If you didn't pay any money yet, spend it elsewhere.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Argh :arghfist: , you're right. I'll start asking and looking around again. We did give her a $500 deposit so i'll have to read the contract on that. Not going to tell my fiancé until tomorrow though, she's doing a fitting tonight so i don't want her to stress out any more.

bathhouse fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 6, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

With caution I say this--if you ask for the deposit back and tell her why, and she apologizes and moves you up to ASAP, you could give her one more chance if you wanted. She may be pretty dope at photography and all. But that's up to your discretion of course. The reason I say this is because when you threaten to take away business, some people will try to keep your business and so it's a way of seeing if they are willing to make it right. Also because I could be wrong and she could have totally legit reasons to push you back, but a quinceanera for her niece shouldn't be a higher priority than business for which she has taken a deposit and will be paid in full after she has provided the service to your satisfaction. She's promised a service, received money in advance for that service, and now she loving needs to deliver on time. That may sound heartless, but if I take time off to attend a family function of any kind and I'm asked to basically do my job, I might as well have just worked and made money instead of taking time off; it's my livelihood and I should be allowed to enjoy my time off instead of being asked to work for free because my family wants to pull out the "but we're FAMILY!" card.

TL;DR -- If she asks for a chance to make it right and fit you in as soon as possible, let her do it, and chances are she will keep that promise. If she doesn't keep that promise, get the deposit back and find someone else. If she doesn't ask for another chance to keep from losing your business, assume she doesn't need/want your business and be reassured you made the right decision in choosing someone else who will be professional.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Do an engagement session with a different photographer then see if you can work with your wedding photographer to incorporate what would've been the engagement session in some other way, like an extra hour of shooting the day of or a boudoir session or something.

That's what we did, but we did it due to distance and not our wedding photographer being a dick.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

It is unprofessional, that's my whole point. Look at more photographers for sure.

I just want to +1 this really, really hard. I'm a freelancer, I schedule projects on my own time, and if I have something coming up (vacation, travel, event, want a day off, whatever) then I schedule for it. I create my own deadlines and work schedule. I've bumped things a day or two a handful of times. The idea of bumping someone's appointment three times is really, really egregious.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

I don't know what state you are in but for MOST insurance companies they don't NEED an appraisal unless the ring is valued at more than 5k or 10k (each company is different). If you have renters or home insurance you should be able to add it right on to that. MOST places will need the 4 Cs of diamonds and the color and weight of the gold. You can honestly call and get insurance on it in like 15 minutes if you really want. You will be looking to get a Personal Articles Policy or an Inland Marine policy to cover it. That coverage will protect it anywhere from anything, so you can worry less about the ring and more about kneeling on horse poop.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
I just want to say that asking someone, "So you've got everything done for your wedding?" every week for four months is not a nice thing to do.

I love my mother. She's been surprisingly cool with accepting that we're going to do whatever we want with the wedding since we're paying for the whole thing. She didn't even try to argue when I told her I wasn't inviting my old neighbor/geometry teacher I haven't seen in six years. And I know that ultimately, she means to say, "Are you sure there's nothing I can help with?" But she is my mother, which means she can always find the worst way to phrase something. So every single week I have to reassure her that I've still got time to nail down the details and all the big stuff is accounted for/reserved. And it's stressing me out so bad because I DON'T have everything done, and it's only a month away now and what if I should have picked out center pieces before now and it's too late and I'll never get it done on time and...

Sorry, I just needed to rant.

Honestly, I think I'm doing pretty well with the timeline. The wedding's a month away and I've got the venues and photographer reserved, the dress is bought and I've already had the first fitting, the silk-flower bouquets just arrived from the Etsy dealer, the honeymoon is booked and the officiant sent us some example ceremonies to look over. I've only got the rehearsal dinner and the finer details of the reception to go over, and I've put the guy in charge of the cake and the tuxes.

Everything is going to be ok. I just need to breathe, and remind myself that she means well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Nicol Bolas posted:

I just want to +1 this really, really hard. I'm a freelancer, I schedule projects on my own time, and if I have something coming up (vacation, travel, event, want a day off, whatever) then I schedule for it. I create my own deadlines and work schedule. I've bumped things a day or two a handful of times. The idea of bumping someone's appointment three times is really, really egregious.

Given how many sites there are that review wedding vendors, I'm surprised anyone would ever do that, because that would throw a huge red flag to any future customers that photographer may have.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

e: Haven't even had a chance to get the ring appraised, much less insured. What are my options here?
You can usually insure for price paid, without an appraisal. I insured a ring recently that way with Jewelers Mutual. The whole process took place online and it was fully insured in 2 days.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kri kri posted:

What is the etiquette about having a wedding ceremony/reception after being married in court? I got married last week after some life changes, but we are still having our reception this summer. I still want to have some sort of vow renewal so people in our wedding party still feel important.

I don't know but post about what you end up doing. My fiancee and I are scheduled to get married at the end of this summer but the more I think about the more appealing a court marriage this year and a wedding party next year sounds, since we'll both have better jobs next year and we might have to move cross-country for her work next month (which could be filed under "money concerns" but would also make planning that much more difficult since we already live a little ways from where it's going to go down)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I don't know but post about what you end up doing. My fiancee and I are scheduled to get married at the end of this summer but the more I think about the more appealing a court marriage this year and a wedding party next year sounds, since we'll both have better jobs next year and we might have to move cross-country for her work next month (which could be filed under "money concerns" but would also make planning that much more difficult since we already live a little ways from where it's going to go down)

We are going to be doing a vow renewal along with our reception. A couple of people lost their minds that we would get married in civil court, but whatever I am done caring about stupid poo poo like this. Lots of "thats not what the save the date said" and hand wringing.

I would caution against planning a wedding remotely. My best friend got married a couple years ago and had to plan the wedding himself remotely and pretty much drove himself crazy. If you have good parents or parents-in-law I could maybe understand it, but if you don't try not to. Maybe have a smaller wedding?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

We planned ours remotely, it's really not that bad. Lots of emails and phone calls and 2-3 weekend trips to do stuff you can't do over the phone (catering tastings, venue walk through, final month-out meetings with vendors, etc.)

I had my parents do a bit of the legwork by scouting out a few venues and narrowing it down for us and acting as a staging area for decorations and stuff I ordered online, but otherwise it was all done over the phone and email and everything went off without a hitch.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So I asked my girlfriend to marry me in our hotel room at the W in Times Square. We didn't make it to Central Park. She was looking for some toiletry in her bag and we were talking about something where my response of, "...what if I asked you to marry me?" made sense, and I whipped out the ring while she wasn't looking (I'd had it on me all day in case an opportunity arose that was appropriate, and the 9/11 Memorial didn't seen appropriate for obvious reasons) and went on one knee. After hitting me in the arm a couple times and asking, "RYAN! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!?! REALLY?!" I said, "Yes I'm totally serious, I just like to buy engagement rings for the fun of it" and she said OMG YES and immediately began calling everyone she knew. At a quarter to 11 Saturday night.

Now the communication lines are open...WHERE DO WE WANT TO GET MARRIED? CAN YOUR GRAMMA TRAVEL? HOW FAR WILL SHE TRAVEL? YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO HAVE SIX GROOMSMEN RIGHT? ARE WE GOING TO SAN DIEGO THIS MONTH? CAN YOU TALK TO THE INSURANCE AGENT AND GET THE RING PUT AS A RIDER ON THE HOME INSURANCE? ARE WE GOING TO HAVE JOINT CHECKING ACCOUNTS? N/M I CAN'T EVEN TALK ABOUT FINANCES RIGHT NOW

And so on.

Is this just wedding fever or is this my life until we are standing in front of a man of the cloth

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Is this just wedding fever or is this my life until we are standing in front of a man of the cloth

Congrats! I saw your thank you post in the NYC thread and was going to ask what went down but figured you'd post here if it did.

It'll calm down after she gets used to the bling, but depending on your time line and expectations she might be right with her barrage of questions :P

Good luck planning, remember no is a complete sentence and people will always have opinions. Always. About everything. Seriously.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Totally depends on your lady! My main question (after the yeah of course I'll marry you bit) was 'uh... how mad would your mum be if we eloped?' There are just a LOT of decisions to be made when wedding planning - the initial big stuff about what kind of wedding you even want, then the choosing of the big stuff (venue, photographer, caterers, bridal party etc) and then when all that's decided all the tiny little questions (what flavour cake? what shoes will you wear? what music will you have during the ceremony? why did you even start this whole process in the first place??)

Can you tell I'm in the final small annoying decisions phase? :)

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Robot Mil posted:

You and me both...I can't wait to NOT have to walk into a liquor store for a while.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For us, it's been helpful to not worry about stuff until you need to worry about it. Like don't even think about the small stuff until the big stuff is decided. It's really hard though, because the small stuff (like centerpieces or favors) is a lot more fun than the hard work of weeding through vendors.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Robot Mil posted:

Totally depends on your lady! My main question (after the yeah of course I'll marry you bit) was 'uh... how mad would your mum be if we eloped?' There are just a LOT of decisions to be made when wedding planning - the initial big stuff about what kind of wedding you even want, then the choosing of the big stuff (venue, photographer, caterers, bridal party etc) and then when all that's decided all the tiny little questions (what flavour cake? what shoes will you wear? what music will you have during the ceremony? why did you even start this whole process in the first place??)

smackfu posted:

For us, it's been helpful to not worry about stuff until you need to worry about it. Like don't even think about the small stuff until the big stuff is decided. It's really hard though, because the small stuff (like centerpieces or favors) is a lot more fun than the hard work of weeding through vendors.

Oh we are definitely having a wedding. She won't want to elope.

And being a photographer, oh man am I going to be discerning and picky when it comes to photographers. My best man is a wedding videographer and a drat good one, but now since he's my best man I'm going to have to find someone else.

Everything else -- I don't know what to tackle first really

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry
I just got engaged on Saturday! My boyfriend/fiance asked me on his birthday, which was a big surprise. :)

I'm a little overwhelmed with everything at the moment because I'm just starting to move my stuff into his condo, which already involves a lot of effort and planning due to my current weird living situation (destitute mother had to move into my house a few years ago -- she'll stay there and continue paying me rent). We haven't set a date, we don't know what our budget is yet, we really don't know anything yet except we want to be with each other for the rest of our lives. I guess we'll take everything one step and a time, and I think I'll be coming back to this thread for information and advice often over the next year or two.

I feel like people are going to be constantly asking me if we set a date (they've already started) and all that stuff, so I guess I'm just going to have to warn my family and friends, who are all very excited for me, that it's going to be a long process for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Assless Chaps posted:

I feel like people are going to be constantly asking me if we set a date (they've already started) and all that stuff, so I guess I'm just going to have to warn my family and friends, who are all very excited for me, that it's going to be a long process for us.

Yep. It will never, ever stop.

Congrats, by the way!