Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012
By dragon the card means dragon permanent. On the stack it's a spell, not yet a permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ith
May 16, 2004
not azn
It is a dragon when it is on the stack. However that means it is not in your hand or the battlefield. So you do not control a dragon.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Nope, it has to be a permanent in play for that :(

The stack is sorta a limbo in regards to this spell - not in hand, not in play.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So it's a dragon counter spell that can't protect your dragons :saddowns:

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Skyl3lazer posted:

So it's a dragon counter spell that can't protect your dragons :saddowns:

Well, it can protect them from removal once they get into play - it's just while they are on the stack that it's a Force Spike. (assuming no other dragons in play/hand)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

kizudarake posted:

There's something about the wording of the second sentence. It feels like it's saying that it can target someone that doesn't have a green or white creature, and it'll resolve, not fizzle, if they don't have a green or white creature. It almost feels like it should have the keyword Cipher on it, like it's a holdover from RTR block.

They wanted it to be a sacrifice effect to get around hexproof, which means it has to target the player and not a creature. But they wanted it to be a color hoser that you couldn't just use as a free 2 damage against a mono-blue player or something.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Just a quick aside, for those of you wanting a black protagonist, you do realize there was one author in particular who devoted her life to writing about these self-determined achievers who were of strong enough will to cast off the yoke of false morality, and needless regulation. I speak, of course of the works of Ayn Rand. A black protagonist would essentially be John Galt or Howard Roark.

Needless to say, John Galt would go excellently into my unrepentant rear end in a top hat EDH deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hellsau posted:

Oh hey it isn't garbage. Color me surprised.

At least they made it work on Ugin this time. The last one might actually have been playable as a 1-of in control decks if it did.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I didn't read the kamigawa books. What was toshiro like?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

T4 Warbringer T5 dash 3 creatures sounds pretty strong, especially with commons like Goblin Heelcutter and Sprinting Warbrute. It seems like you could often just run them over by putting a ridiculous amount of hasty power on the board.

Heelcutter, Strike Leader, OG Kolaghan, Warbringer, Mardu Scout, and Flamerush Rider are the premium dashers. If only you could copy Kolaghan with Flamerush. Even though, it is still value.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Just a quick aside, for those of you wanting a black protagonist, you do realize there was one author in particular who devoted her life to writing about these self-determined achievers who were of strong enough will to cast off the yoke of false morality, and needless regulation. I speak, of course of the works of Ayn Rand. A black protagonist would essentially be John Galt or Howard Roark.

Needless to say, John Galt would go excellently into my unrepentant rear end in a top hat EDH deck.

What would be the Magic equivalent of Galt's speech from Atlas Shrugged then?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

If only you could copy Kolaghan with Flamerush.

You can, you just won't get an additional battle cry bonus.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Serperoth posted:

What would be the Magic equivalent of Galt's speech from Atlas Shrugged then?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

You can, you just won't get an additional battle cry bonus.

Or a second Kolaghan.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

Or a second Kolaghan.

Oh right, legendary. Yeah, that doesn't do much.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lets Pickle posted:

At the very least any control deck that plays Ugins will want this as an extra copy or two that doesn't take up a spell slot, as insurance if/when Ugin gets killed
fakeedit: oops I didn't see who I was responding to.

Ehh, they also want to play as many Radiant Fountain's as possible and that is much better than this.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Ehh, they also want to play as many Radiant Fountain's as possible and that is much better than this.

Do you think Buried Ruin sucks too? I'd use either to recur steel hellkites.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Do you think Buried Ruin sucks too? I'd use either to recur steel hellkites.

No. Buried Ruin hit a lot more things that were relevant in it's Standard than this does NTM it's colorless mana being easier to play with artifacts. It's night and day better.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Do you guys think Sarkhan Unbroken will go down in price in the next couple weeks or do you think $30 is reasonable for a RUG Walker that draws cards and effectively protects itself?

The -2 is actually pretty good because if they kill him you paid 5 mana for a 4/4 with flying which is still really good. The +1 is really powerful obviously.

I want to live the dream of ulting and dropping 4 Thunderbreak Regents and what's left of Stormbreath onto the board. :allears:

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
I think $30 is way too much - his manacost is very restrictive on what decks actually want him.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The mana cost does basically restrict him to a single possible deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The KTK Sarkhan is better and fits in more decks and it's 12 bucks.

Ith
May 16, 2004
not azn

Skyl3lazer posted:

Doesn't it say 'reveal a dragon from your hand or if you control a dragon'? Is the card a dragon you control when it's on the stack?

You only control cards that are on the battlefield.

Edit: Ignore me responding to last page.

Ith fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 10, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ith posted:

You only control cards that are on the battlefield.

Incorrect, you control a spell when it's on the stack, but controlling a Dragon spell on the stack doesn't mean you control a Dragon because that would have to be a permanent.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The new Sarkhan is really cool, but yeah he fits into a narrow archetype. Moreover the silly overpriced preorders are always particularly egregious with planeswalkers. I can't picture him staying anywhere near 30.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chamale posted:

Incorrect, you control a spell when it's on the stack, but controlling a Dragon spell on the stack doesn't mean you control a Dragon because that would have to be a permanent.

But weirdly, cards like Faerie Trickery do see a card's subtype while it's on the stack. So if your Dragon creature card is on the stack, you control it, and it is a Dragon, but you don't "control a Dragon". Because there's an unspoken templating convention that "control an X" means "control an X permanent" unless something says otherwise.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Count Bleck posted:

Do you guys think Sarkhan Unbroken will go down in price in the next couple weeks or do you think $30 is reasonable for a RUG Walker that draws cards and effectively protects itself?

The -2 is actually pretty good because if they kill him you paid 5 mana for a 4/4 with flying which is still really good. The +1 is really powerful obviously.

I want to live the dream of ulting and dropping 4 Thunderbreak Regents and what's left of Stormbreath onto the board. :allears:

Even if he finally lets Temur win some tourneys, it is doubtful he would be worth more than 20 post launch. And since I don't think he's enough to do that, 10-15 seems more likely.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Tokens too:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edit: Beaten on tokens

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

I'm at an absolute loss of what to do with it, but I think this is a good card.

quote:

And this is definitely good somewhere.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That Doran enchantment is super cool and I have no idea if it's any good.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The new Sarkhan is really cool, but yeah he fits into a narrow archetype. Moreover the silly overpriced preorders are always particularly egregious with planeswalkers. I can't picture him staying anywhere near 30.
Yeah, has there been a new Standard card recently that preordered at $25+ and stayed that high past the next set release?

Maybe Nissa?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
U/G walls.dec! Finally, Wall of Frost will see it's time to shine. And Siege Dragon will see sideboard play!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Have we seen what makes Zombie Horrors yet? It's a */* so I'm guessing a goofy rare.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Entropic posted:

Yeah, has there been a new Standard card recently that preordered at $25+ and stayed that high past the next set release?

Maybe Nissa?

Just Nissa really. And most of her problem came from being a really good Walker in a core-set. :(

The Core-set is dead (after this year). Long live the Core-set.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Entropic posted:

Maybe Nissa?

Ugin & Monastery mentor are still doing pretty well for themselves

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's a goddamn (planned) tragedy I can't draft this with Parapet, Flock, Savants, etc.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Doran Enchanment with Butt-breathing. I love wall decks.

This will go good in my Doran the Siege Tower EDH deck but unironically

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Niton posted:

I'm at an absolute loss of what to do with it, but I think this is a good card.

Azban mirror. Your Rhinos and Rocs now kill theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

deftest posted:

Ugin & Monastery mentor are still doing pretty well for themselves

I think he was talking about stuff that doesn't see Eternal play. Otherwise, I think, we can add Brimaz to that list (I'm not sure what his pre-order price was).

• Locked thread