Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

anybody write a tolerable to use shim for vhdl or verilog yet having to write c# programs to emit dozens of lines of boilerplate is getting really tedious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

compounded by the no systemverilog issue, of course

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and the poverty-tier modelsim license, restricted to one hdl type at a time, hope those opencores vhdl blocks work

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

anybody write a tolerable to use shim for vhdl or verilog yet having to write c# programs to emit dozens of lines of boilerplate is getting really tedious

I've been too busy with work stuff to do more than shoot the poo poo about writing a Lisp HDL that outputs Verilog. (plus you'd have to use Lisp to use it. and my employer would have to sign off for me to share it…)

instead of writing c# to emit boilerplate though, could use use the T4 template system or something? seems like that might be a better fit for just expanding out boilerplate, and it's part of Visual Studio too.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eschaton posted:

instead of writing c# to emit boilerplate though, could use use the T4 template system or something? seems like that might be a better fit for just expanding out boilerplate, and it's part of Visual Studio too.
:captainpop: did not know that existed

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

:captainpop: did not know that existed

I've never used it, since I don't actually do Windows stuff, but I think it came out of shaggar's favorite framework (entity framework) for their codegen stuff.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

If you have 8 bi-color (red/green) LEDs (and assume that yellow is off-limits because it's a cheap piece of poo poo from China and green is weaker than red so red+green=red) and you need to indicate a percentage change from, say, -3% to +3%, where -1%-+1% is the most common swing (think stock market) how would you do so?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

carefully

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody posted:

carefully

thank u sir

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i would arrange them in a bar like thus
x x x x x x x x
and i would make the left four red only and the right four green only
i would indicate zero by turning nobody on
i would indicate +/-0.5% with the inner pair
from there i would go +/-1, +/-2, +/-3, turning on additional lights

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or i'd get the yellow mode working, throw one out, and use yellow as 0 and then +/- 1/2/3

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody posted:

i would arrange them in a bar like thus
x x x x x x x x
and i would make the left four red only and the right four green only
i would indicate zero by turning nobody on
i would indicate +/-0.5% with the inner pair
from there i would go +/-1, +/-2, +/-3, turning on additional lights

that is way too coarse imo. I want it to be kinda like logarithmic so that everyday swings are noticeable

e: dunno if I can get yellow working. there is a resistor network I could potentially replace with some more sensible values but I am not sure that will happen

e: this is what I'm working with http://www.dx.com/p/8x-digital-tube-8x-key-8x-double-color-led-module-81873

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 7, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

project +/- 3.0 to +/- 255, display binary value in green > 0 in red <0

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody posted:

project +/- 3.0 to +/- 255, display binary value in green > 0 in red <0

I have been avoiding this idea because the target audience won't understand it fully but I think it makes sense because even if you can't convert the binary back to decimal it still makes a fairly intuitive display

edit: actually it doesn't ugh.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
you could use all 8 and show positive values like this
g g g . . . . .

and negative values like this
. . . . . . r r
(it's color-blind-friendly!)

and use pwm to scale the intensity of the outermost light for fractions, or even just blink it

logarithmic may be good anyway

e: blinking is annoying because it attracts attention but it would look cool if the value is moving quickly because it's like
blink blink blink blink blinkblinkblinkblink *solid*, next light starts blinking

suffix fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 7, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

suffix posted:

you could use all 8 and show positive values like this
g g g . . . . .

and negative values like this
. . . . . . r r
(it's color-blind-friendly!)

and use pwm to scale the intensity of the outermost light for fractions, or even just blink it

logarithmic may be good anyway

yeah this is a dece idea. i would recommend doing some analysis of your underlying data to determine a good way to quantize it to 8 (16) points

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
and also get the yellow working so you don't have the semipredicate problem ("is this showing zero or did the board burn out?")

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
octal numbers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DNova posted:

If you have 8 bi-color (red/green) LEDs (and assume that yellow is off-limits because it's a cheap piece of poo poo from China and green is weaker than red so red+green=red) and you need to indicate a percentage change from, say, -3% to +3%, where -1%-+1% is the most common swing (think stock market) how would you do so?

is this for bitcoins? because if it is there are some simplifying assumptions you can make.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

eschaton posted:

is this for bitcoins?

how dare you

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

DNova posted:

Sigmoid and 1-sigmoid for outputs green and red and offset/scale it so that your poorly defined sample space is in it and it isnt just red all the time

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I decided on 0.1 0.25 0.33 0.5 0.75 1 2 3 because its very human readable that way

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

btw I think I raped my rpi gpio with 5v a bunch of times on accident but it liked it so no crime was committed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yes 5v-tolerant gpio is a thing

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

DNova posted:

btw I think I raped my rpi gpio with 5v a bunch of times on accident but it liked it so no crime was committed

dont do this, both the 5v tolerant gpio and the lovely language

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Mido posted:

dont do this, both the 5v tolerant gpio and the lovely language

:agreed:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

get over yourselves

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

be a less terrible person

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

never!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

guys please don't use the word "lovely" with respect to anything that isn't literally feces
also I'm super offended by being called terrible

this is a safe space and only good words can be used here

thanks in advance

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no its honestly ultra poo poo to use rape like that, dont do it

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

yes you're right sorry I didn't mean to promote a hostile environment to raspberry pis

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

DNova posted:

yes you're right sorry I didn't mean to promote a hostile environment to raspberry pis

raped idiot

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:rip: this thread

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you want to have a lovely attitude please stick to software. hardware people are good people.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't know how you think you can judge who I am because I said that I raped an electrical interface on a small computer. I think you have a lovely attitude.

But, in all honesty, I'm sorry for the derail (not for what I said). I didn't realize this was that kind of a thread, so I'll see myself out.

and this is somehow cool with you heroes, lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

DNova posted:

I'll see myself out.

bye

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

:rip: this thread

can we have a new one without the "it's political correctness gone mad, stu" person pls

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I really do apologize, but put it in sh/sc if you don't want people to gently caress around. I don't think yospos should be too serious. Sorry, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
if you're too bereft of vocabulary and must turn gauche to explain a simple concept you're not retreating from "too serious"

• Locked thread