Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Sonofabitch I knew people would construe it that way. I'm guessing this is how Mario games have been the last dozen years or so but even watching Galaxy or Sunshine didn't dip this much into the kiddie.

Flint_Paper posted:

Guys why the gently caress doesn't Captain Toad have a gun and an eyepatch this is some namby-pamby bullshit.

Oh please. :rolleyes:

Edit: I didn't think it was a bad game, in fact it was rather difficult at times which I enjoyed, but like Fremry Corin Tucker's Stalker said, it's the silly aesthetic that turned me a off a bit. Not enough to pack it up and send it back but more of just surprised that they were doing it.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If NSMBU was too kiddie for you then stay way the hell away from 3D World.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You guys are freaking out over nothing, there's a difference between child's game and game appropriate for all ages.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Sonofabitch I knew people would construe it that way. I'm guessing this is how Mario games have been the last dozen years or so but even watching Galaxy or Sunshine didn't dip this much into the kiddie.

Oh please. :rolleyes:

That "Bah Bah" singing and little dance has pretty much been a part of the New Super Mario Bros. series since it started. I like the little dance because it adds in a different gameplay mechanic where you have to time the enemies with the music. Like, if you turned off the music, you'd be at a significant disadvantage because they change how they move and you need the audio as the cue.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If NSMBU was too kiddie for you then stay way the hell away from 3D World.

TBH I started laughing at the title screen when whatever character meowed. It's a fun game but lol at a meow coming from a person

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Super Mario is a Super Trooper

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I got to Champion's Road a week or two ago in 3D World after loving every minute of the game, and when I was at PAX I played NSMBU for about an hour and felt absolutely nothing. It just feels really sterile and lifeless. Toad getting mugged is funny though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

SRM posted:

Toad getting mugged is funny though.

It's this kind of hateful attitude that took us 30 years to get a Toad protagonist

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Lblitzer posted:

TBH I started laughing at the title screen when whatever character meowed. It's a fun game but lol at a meow coming from a person

blow into the mic when you're around any non-enemy NPC in mario 3d world and record your reaction please

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
The best thing about SM3DW is bouncing on the fairies' heads

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Lblitzer posted:

The meow when you do the flag as a cat is the greatest thing.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

SRM posted:

when I was at PAX I played NSMBU for about an hour and felt absolutely nothing. It just feels really sterile and lifeless.

The gameplay is amazing, they just desperately need a new artstyle. It would look amazing if they ditched the 3d models and made sprites based on the classic Mario look, like the ones 3d world uses for its life counter:

Visitor K
Jan 26, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

The gameplay is amazing, they just desperately need a new artstyle. It would look amazing if they ditched the 3d models and made sprites based on the classic Mario look, like the ones 3d world uses for its life counter:

I won't lie, one of the things that made me finally get a Wii U is those character illustrations, they remind me of Mario 3/Mario World and I love Mario World with all my heart and soul. I always thought it was such a shame they mostly decided to go with 3D renders for the character art from 64 onwards.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

Just make it the older style graphics but make it 1,000 levels, tie in with the old Super Show, and give us every sports tie-in in one.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I won't be happy until there's a Tupac-style hologram of Captain Lou Albano doing the Mario at Coachella.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I just want Mario Maker, damnit I've got so many good ideas for levels that aren't just ball-bustingly hard like 90% of the levels will be

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Lblitzer posted:

gently caress you

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

deadwing posted:

I just want Mario Maker, damnit I've got so many good ideas for levels that aren't just ball-bustingly hard like 90% of the levels will be

I really, really hope Mario Maker will have MiiVerse posts after each level like 3D World. I want to see what kinds of dickbutts people draw on my levels!

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

deadwing posted:

Yeah, Mario Maker is definitely my most anticipated game of 2015 but I'm sure that most of the player-designed levels will be some IWBTG-style bullshit. But it'll be worth it for the tiny minority of really good levels.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

deadwing posted:

Mario Maker will be the best-looking 2D mario game, since it has the SMW tileset, and the best-playing 2D mario game, since it has the Mario 3 assets... Unfortunately it's never coming out. Right now there's a panicked employee in Kyoto googling "how to make server internet sharing."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I hope they develop some way to sort the Mario Maker levels in a useful way. Could make all the difference for me.

Unfortunately,

Polo-Rican posted:

"how to make server internet sharing"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

gently caress you

http://dailynewsdig.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/mario-cat.jpg

It's a me, Meoweo

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Polo-Rican posted:

Mario Maker will be the best-looking 2D mario game, since it has the SMW tileset, and the best-playing 2D mario game, since it has the Mario 3 assets... Unfortunately it's never coming out. Right now there's a panicked employee in Kyoto googling "how to make server internet sharing."

Nintendo already has multiple games with reply good level creators and Miiverse integrated sharing. One was released just last week, and the level sharing works super well and it's easy to find good content and subscribe to people you like.

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009

:frogout:

e: also your link is broken

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Mario Maker is actually Nintendo pulling a Last Starfighter, they are using it to find a new Miyamoto.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

greatn posted:

Nintendo already has multiple games with reply good level creators and Miiverse integrated sharing. One was released just last week, and the level sharing works super well and it's easy to find good content and subscribe to people you like.

If they can allow you to make levels like those SNES SMW levels that play themselves or Kaizo Mario or even IWBTG, then I'm all for it. I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long to make an official level maker from them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lblitzer posted:

If they can allow you to make levels like those SNES SMW levels that play themselves or Kaizo Mario or even IWBTG, then I'm all for it. I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long to make an official level maker from them.

There's already several Mario vs DK levels like this that are entertaining. Of course those characters move on their own.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lblitzer posted:

Have you ever played Metal Gear Solid 3

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Flint_Paper posted:

Guys why the gently caress doesn't Captain Toad have a gun and an eyepatch this is some namby-pamby bullshit.

I demand a cross over between MGS and Captain Toad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MUSHROOM GEAR?!

greatn posted:

Speaking of which, why isn't Mario Maker cross-platform with 3DS?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Who knows, maybe it is.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

3D World is great. It was my daughter's first Mario game and its known in our house as "Kee Cat Mario". I really enjoy the music, particularly the Boo house stuff.

That being said, I hope the next proper 3D mario game goes back to the N64 style world exploration type thing instead of the standard overworld/level select format. I loved exploring the Castle and then the worlds within the paintings. Seeing some of the amazing level design in Galaxy 2 and 3D World (3D Land also has some cool stuff) makes me want to see what some kind of "Banjo Kazooie/M64" type levels they could whip up nowadays.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Wildtortilla posted:

I demand a cross over between MGS and Captain Toad.

An adorable little stubby-armed cartoon Snake sneaking around a military base to rescue Captain Toad from a giant bird, which he shoots with stinger missiles. Captain Toad Solid: Twin Shrooms.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
I would give my left nut for a Super Mario World HD remake of some sort.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Grass Effect posted:

I would give my left nut for a Super Mario World HD remake of some sort.

Really? That's the game that needs to get remade? What would they even do with it?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Photo-realistic Mario masks on the koopa troopas when you beat the special stages.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
I can't imagine a HD remake of SMW being a good idea in any way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Austrian mook posted:

Really? That's the game that needs to get remade? What would they even do with it?

A better small Mario sprite.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Apple Jax posted:

I can't imagine a HD remake of SMW being a good idea in any way.

I mean, as long as the gameplay isn't changed it'll be good but I don't understand the point? Would you want them to make it the 3D models of the NSMB series? Just, nicer looking sprites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I hope the next proper 3D mario game goes back to the N64 style world exploration type thing instead of the standard overworld/level select format. I loved exploring the Castle and then the worlds within the paintings.

Yes please.

• Locked thread